• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 9 Starters - Discussion/Speculation Thread

2dtyplosion

My starters have been Bulbasaur, Cyndaquil, Treeko, Piplup, Snivy, Froakie, Rowlett, and Scorbunny.

I'm going with Sprigatito this time. I always wanted to pick a cat starter (I hated Incineroar), so I get a second chance now. I'm hoping for a grass/steel sabertooth tiger. Grass/fairy would be cool to.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I'm thinking that none of the starters will get second types.

Nave

This might be my favourite starter trio since Gen 3 (judging from just pre-evos).
Probably going to pick Sprigatito first--I need that Grass Cat. Although I definitely want to use the other starters too.

I'm thinking that Sprigatito will evolve into an Iberian lynx, with leaves as the tufts on its ears. Love the idea of a Grass Cat that climbs on trees.
Quaxly has a lot of personality--simultaneously derpy and distinguished. I love the idea of it evolving into a waterfowl conquistador.
Fuecoco is awesome as well. It can go in a lot of directions, but there seems to be a pepper theme. Pretty interested to see how it turns out.

As for their final-evo typings, I hope that they will be dual-typed, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are mono-typed. Although Water/Flying seems obvious for Quaxly, I just don't think it will end up that, because it seems to be a sailor rather than something taking to the air. Maybe it could be Water/Normal or Water/Ghost, depending on whether it's a normal sailor or a supernatural one. Since lynxes are adapted to the snow, it would be cool if Sprigatito evolves into something that doesn't have a weakness to Ice--maybe Grass/Steel. I kind of hope it doesn't turn into Grass/Ice, but that would make sense as well. If Fuecoco turns into a cucafera like some people think it will, it could be Fire/Dragon.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
Sprigatito is my favourite so far, then again it is a cat so I was always going to love it. Probably controversial, but I don't like the other two, Fuecoco looks like something from a Mario game, and Quaxly doesn't really do it for me either. As with every starter trio I'll reserve judgement until we see the evolutions, but right now I'm Team Sprigatito.
One thing I will say about Fuecoco though, seeing as it's a crocodile, it looks like the Fire Starters are now moving away from the Chinese Zodiac theme. Unless of course it ends up evolving into a snake or another dragon, which it very well could.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Im shocked we r yet again speculating on new starters........ Feels like yday when we did so for swsh ones hehe

I love the look of Fuecoco but I am worried it's final evolution will end up like Totodile's final evolution, boring(imo).
Also like Quaxly, Sprigatito not so much.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
My favourites so far are Sprigatito and Fuecoco, at this point I am leaning towards Fuecoco as my potential starter. Not too sold on Quaxly yet, will have to wait for its evolutions to be revealed.

greninjamaster

Imagine if Fuecoco gets the Fire/Dragon secondary type lol. Charizard fans would be furious.

I got Quaxley as Water/Steel and Sprigatito as Grass/Fairy

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
I’m fed up of starters becoming humanoid, im hoping none of them become humanoid unlike last gen where they are did.
Legends made it even more visible with no-so humanoid starters.

Let's hope we won't get a second Incineroar.

MrJechgo

Imagine if Fuecoco gets the Fire/Dragon secondary type lol. Charizard fans would be furious.
It won't happen, because the Dragon type is too powerful for starters. It's already resistant to Grass, Fire, Water and Electric, and Fire/Dragon cancels Water's, Ice's AND Fairy's effectiveness. You could give them Dragon moves, but their usefulness is going to be very limited. People will be quick to point to Empoleon's Steel typing and its many resistances, but in Gen 4, Torterra and Infernape also had typings effective to Steel (Ground and Fighting, respectively), so everything was this balanced.

For my part, a Grass/Dark smilodon, a Fire/Ground linnorm (literally a a serpertine dragon from Norse Mythology) and a Water/Fighting waterfowl* sailor would be my pick ^_^

*"Waterfowl", of course, defines any marine bird. We had a seagul evolving into a pelican, but those species aren't from the same family (Laridae vs Pelecanidae). A duck comes from the Anseriformes order, which include ducks, swans and geese, but it could evolve into another marine bord, like an albatross from the Procellariiforme order. We currently don't have an albatross or a goose in Pokémon... and if the later is introduced, the Untitled Goose Game memes are going to flood the Internet (pun intended XD ).

Grass/Dark is a typing we haven't seen in standard play since Gen 3 with Shiftry and Cacturne, while Zarude is often forbidden.
Fire/Ground is a typing we haven't seen in standard play since Gen 3 again with Camerupt.
Water/Fighting is a typing we haven't seen in standard play since Gen 1 with Poliwrath, while Keldeo is mythical and Urshifu is legendary.

Sarefan

Hylden General.
Welp, this came out of nowhere. Starters look pretty cool though. Just hope they don't get too humanoid in their final evolution. Atm it's a tossup between Fuecoco and Quaxly.

nickdt

I got Quaxley as Water/Steel and Sprigatito as Grass/Fairy

We will never get a Part Dragon Fire or Water starter as a permanent secondary type, since Dragon resists too much. With Fire/Dragon, it basically forces the other 2 types to become part Rock and Ground to have a fighting chance or at least it forces the player to put one of those types on the team if they don't have a Dragon type themselves, since Dragon resists the starter types and it makes Ice and Fairy neutral. Water/Dragon is even more of a problem, since you can only make the Grass or Fire starter part Fairy and not both. And i feel like forcing a player to use a certain type, is something that shouldn't happen (Now, for myself its not an issue, since i have a ground type on my team in the majority of my playthroughs).

I think Sprigatito becomes Grass/Fairy indeed and i get Water/Fighting type vibes for Quaxley. While i do think Water/Steel is a possibility, i think its less likely than Water/Figthing, since we just past 2 games with Empoleon in it.

Fuecoco can go numerous ways, but i think the most likely candidates at this point are Fire/Ground and Fire/Poison.

Aielyn

If I had to guess, I'd say that the evolution typing and theming would be...

Sprigatito: I'm picturing it keeping with the friendly housecat vibe. I'm leaning towards Grass/Fairy, although Grass/Electric (Cat got the zoomies) or Grass/Psychic (Cat seeing hidden things) could work nicely. I figure they're less likely to go with typings that there are already cats for (eg/ dark - A-Meowth, Purrloin).
Fuecoco: I suspect this one will get the fierce look, perhaps with the teeth getting some serious attention in the final form. It's a fire crocodile, so I'm going with Fire/Steel (which would be the first non-legendary of this type). Plausible alternatives are Fire/Rock or Fire/Dragon, but I think they're less likely.
Quaxly: A lot of people are suggesting a swashbuckler angle... but I'm actually picturing a Don Quixote reference with a military or knightly feel, so I'm thinking it'll be called something like Quaxote. Water/Fighting seems plausible, but it could also be Water/Steel (representing a sword or armour), or maybe Water/Fairy (for the thematic aspect of foolishness).

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
Legends made it even more visible with no-so humanoid starters.

Let's hope we won't get a second Incineroar.
I am pretty sure GF wouldn't want a starter to look like a recolor of an old one (reason why we could assume from the start Grookey wouldn't evolve into a nimble monkey, since Infernape already existed), so anything that even remotelly looks like Incineroar or Feraligatr should be out of question.

Sprigatito remaining on fours should be a safe guess due to Incineroar already existing. Fuecoco's evolution is a bit harder to guess because its shape is so uncommon it could go any way upon evolution, but a big menacing crocodile should be out of question because Feraligatr.

DSDark

Breeder
I'm very surprised that it appears that they finally broke the Chinses Zodiac trend for the Starters. I love Fuecoco, he's the only good starter this gen, however he doesn't fit with any of the remaining Zodiacs other then maybe snake. Time will tell on it's evolutions