• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 9 Starters - Discussion/Speculation Thread

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
I always go for the Fire starter, but the cat is getting my attention as I have a cat obsession. That said, I'm interested to see the route this lot take as I tend to like looking into their themes lately.

I also couldn't care less if Sprigatito ends up on two or four legs. As long as the design is cool or the concept is good, that's enough for me. I'll be honest, the "two vs four legs" thing got boring ages ago and I don't see why it matters so much.

scififan21

I always go for the Fire starter, but the cat is getting my attention as I have a cat obsession. That said, I'm interested to see the route this lot take as I tend to like looking into their themes lately.

I also couldn't care less if Sprigatito ends up on two or four legs. As long as the design is cool or the concept is good, that's enough for me. I'll be honest, the "two vs four legs" thing got boring ages ago and I don't see why it matters so much.
I guess it is that a lot of people wanted more animal like designs and less humanoid ones. I always like ones that look more animal better then humanoid ones, but this is just personal opinion.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros

Same it’s been the same jokes and arguments since Gen 6. People all free to like or dislike what they want but also couldn’t care less if it turns out to be more like Incineroar or Persian (both of which are great designs regardless of inspiration).

Taodragon

Training Anaylst

I feel the past three generations had something to do with that. Aside from Primarina every starter has been bipedal and the majority of them have had humanoid elements baked into their designs, which has been a growing sore spot for the fanbase and has blown up ever since the Gen 8 Starters were fully revealed. So they're probably pushing for it a lot out of a desire to see some variety, along with some general bias and disdain for anthropomorphic designs also coming out from it as well.

Personally, I do understand wanting something a little different for variety's sake, but as you said a design being good should take priority over what locomotion the Pokemon has. Speaking as someone who was wary of another set of draconic Cover Legendaries and ended up loving the two we got, I agree with that sentiment even more as solid execution can easily trump the feeling of redundancy, especially if the alternative wouldn't have been as exciting.

Trillion

i've been team quaxly since day 1 but it seemed like the majority of people didn't really like it that much. glad to see more people coming around to it after the new trailer

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
I've got my money on Quaxly being the "GF/TPCi's Favorite Starter" this Gen in the same vein of Greninja, Charizard and Cinderace

Quaxly is the Starter with the highest likely chance of becoming Humanoid and we all know GF and TPCi likes to push the Humanoid Starters the hardest

index.php

Also not to mention just look at the way Quaxly is standing in the center. It really makes it look like He's the "Leader" of the Gen 9 Trio in a way.

It literally brings back memories of when Scorbunny stood in the middle of the Galar Trio (and the Scorbunny line was the favorite of GF/TPCi)

index.php

Quaxly is even doing the exact same pose as Scorbunny lol

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
I've got my money on Quaxly being the "GF/TPCi's Favorite Starter" this Gen in the same vein of Greninja, Charizard and Cinderace

Quaxly is the Starter with the highest likely chance of becoming Humanoid and we all know GF and TPCi likes to push the Humanoid Starters the hardest

index.php

Also not to mention just look at the way Quaxly is standing in the center. It really makes it look like He's the "Leader" of the Gen 9 Trio in a way.

It literally brings back memories of when Scorbunny stood in the middle of the Galar Trio (and the Scorbunny line was the favorite of GF/TPCi)

index.php

Quaxly is even doing the exact same pose as Scorbunny lol
Good theory, though that wasn’t the same case for Gen 7. When the Alola starters were sent out by Hala for the player to choose, it went Grass, Fire, Water in that order too. Rowlet was the most popular of the base forms, but Incineroar is the most marketed final stage, so you could argue Litten was the “leader” like Scorbunny was.

Fan reception towards the final stages will likely play a factor in which one is the marketing king.

Noy

so, the theory is that quaxly's final evo will obtained by a protag in the anime?

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
We’re very likely going to get another info drop sometime on the last week of June, because Pokémon is currently doing a region countdown where each week they release a video short that says visit “x” region.

So we’re probably going to finally get the reveal of the name then and they will probably throw them in some other information as well.

Of course it’s not confirmed or guaranteed that we will get a trailer during the last week of June but at this point based on what we know I say it’s more likely that we will get one then rather then not.
I'd say end of June more so for the fact it would match SwSh's traile release schedule.

Orphalesion

We got a decent amount of Info from the trailer really. More than I expected. We got the box legends , the professors(and the fact that each of them is version exclusive) , the rival, three of the new Pokemon and quite a few interesting screenshots of the region itself.
Of course I want to know more, but I think it was enough information to last us for a bit.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
We got a decent amount of Info from the trailer really. More than I expected. We got the box legends , the professors(and the fact that each of them is version exclusive) , the rival, three of the new Pokemon and quite a few interesting screenshots of the region itself.
Of course I want to know more, but I think it was enough information to last us for a bit.
But why must they torture us this long with the region name? :p

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Speculation - If the past/future theme is correct, then maybe they’re holding off on the region name because the region will have different names in each game. Kind of like how Sinnoh’s old name was Hisui.

Copley Hill Gym

Speculation - If the past/future theme is correct, then maybe they’re holding off on the region name because the region will have different names in each game. Kind of like how Sinnoh’s old name was Hisui.

That's a really intriguing idea. However, unless the games are set in different time periods (they appear to be "present" - as in contemporary to one another) then the region will probably be the same name in both.

Orphalesion

I can't imagine them making two different versions of the region. That'd probably be too much of a workload.
At the most there might be one or two locations that are different like Black City/White Forest.

Noy

considering how much GF seems to like the ghost, dark, fighting type trio; why don't they mix things up, by making the starters have those as main types, for one of these gens. That way they'd have more options for new typing pairs, for starters.

actually fighting, psychic, dark would work better.

Orphalesion

considering how much GF seems to like the ghost, dark, fighting type trio; why don't they mix things up, by making the starters have those as main types, for one of these gens. That way they'd have more options for new typing pairs, for starters.

actually fighting, psychic, dark would work better.
There was actually a fake rumour to that effect back I the Gen 4 pré-release days.
The dark type starter was some sort of puppy/fox thing, the fighting one a kangaroo and the psychic one.. I think some sort of dinosaur.