• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 9 Starters - Discussion/Speculation Thread

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Feel free to discuss the new starters in this thread.

Golden_Arcanine

I hope they don't go with low hanging fruit for the starter types. Sticking with montypes for starters and Water/Flying for the duck seem lazy at best.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Really interested in what direction/theming they’ll go for the Gen 9 starters. It was pretty obvious for the Gen 8 but I could see these going in a multitude of directions.

Chimchar15

Woooooo Gen 9! I honestly like this batch of starters more than onse we got in the recent gens. Sprigatito is adorable and elegant, Quaxly looks sophisticated but still cool, but my boy Fuecoco! Man that design is fantastic! Fun, laid-back, and just overall playful he's definitely looking like my starter pick for these games.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
The water starter seems to be a blue-footed booby rather than a duck. So I think it's final evo could potentially be a navigator/pirate/navy-themed booby.

Golden_Arcanine

The water starter seems to be a blue-footed booby rather than a duck. So I think it's final evo could potentially be a navigator/pirate/navy-themed booby.
As the old saying goes, if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck. I don't think there's anything to suggest it's not a duck. That doesn't mean it'll stay as a duck, but you're probably looking at some aquatic bird. I could see them going with a Pirate/Davey Jones theme to give it a Ghost type.

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
So far my starters were: Squirtle - Totodile - Treecko - Chimchar - Snivy - Fennekin - Litten - Grookey
3 Grass, 3 Fire, 2 Water.

After Johto I remember thinking I was a "water starter person", but then 20 years went by without me picking another one. Hopefully Quaxly evos will do the trick and I will finally go back to it (and even the numbers). But if Fuecoco becomes a cucafera as many (me included) expect, it will be hard to not go for it.

Sprigatito is not on my radar, but neither was Litten until Incineroar appeared.

Red and Blue

Sprigatito is my favorite of the three and the one I'm picking. Quaxly is good as well. I didn't like Fuecoco at first but it's starting to grow on me. Guess the Chinese Zodiac pattern is taking a third break, lol

TRNRLogan

As the old saying goes, if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck. I don't think there's anything to suggest it's not a duck. That doesn't mean it'll stay as a duck, but you're probably looking at some aquatic bird. I could see them going with a Pirate/Davey Jones theme to give it a Ghost type.
Plus its name is Quaxly, which implies duck

Golden_Arcanine

Jesness

Togekiss Enthusiast
Man, they knocked it out of the park with the starters this time! I love the simplicity of their designs, they remind me a lot of the starters from earlier gens. Specifically, like Johto or Hoenn, before they started to give them more colors/complex visual elements. I am really having a hard time choosing between Fuecoco and Quaxly! I have nine months to decide; I'm not sure it's enough!

ReneEnjolras

Explorer of Ruins
I like all three so far. Leaning more towards Sprigatito or Fuecoco, though. I might actually pick Grass for the first time in a while. My last Grass starter was Snivy. I've also used Bulbasaur and Treeko for other playthroughs of Kanto and Hoenn (I've used all three Hoenn and Unova starters). I am mainly a Water or Fire starter girl.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
I also really really like all three starters from the start. Seems to be the case with a lot of people but yeah, they're pretty good.

Sprigatito looks fresh. I mean look at the mint green! Unique contrast to the leaf green and just the right amount of details.

Fuecoco reminds me a lot of a fire version of Gible. Interesting to have a crocodile which are usually connected with water to be the fire starter. I like the colours and the fact that it also looks like a hot pepper. Looks still a bit clumsy but I can see what they're aiming for.

Quaxly gives me strong Piplup vibes and I hope it turns out to be some kind of warlord admiral duck to match Empoleons looks.

I am not that fond of the animals choosen (for Spain I've expected a Fire bull starter) and we just got a cat two gens ago, but they turned out to be really good. But as always, I need to see the final forms.

DemonDragon

Ironclad trainer
So far my starters were: Squirtle - Totodile - Treecko - Chimchar - Snivy - Fennekin - Litten - Grookey
3 Grass, 3 Fire, 2 Water.

After Johto I remember thinking I was a "water starter person", but then 20 years went by without me picking another one. Hopefully Quaxly evos will do the trick and I will finally go back to it (and even the numbers). But if Fuecoco becomes a cucafera as many (me included) expect, it will be hard to not go for it.

Sprigatito is not on my radar, but neither was Litten until Incineroar appeared.
Funnily I think I have always gone water or grass on my first play through. Squirtle - Totodile - Mudkip - Turtwig - Oshawott - Froakie - Rowlett - Grookey. Granted I enjoyed All gen1 starters, cyndaquil, and torchic later became my fav hoenn starter. Right now I lean to the fire starter on initial impressions this gen, which would be a first if I go through with it (hope it has a good final evo)

Missingno.Fan

I think it would be cool Springatito evolves into a saber toothed cat. At the very least I hope it doesn’t become too humanoid. I also hope that Fuecoco evolves into something cooler, because right now it looks like Barney. Quaxly can evolve into Donald Duck for all I care. Maybe it’s shiny can be black so it can be like Daffy Duck. I’m sorry. Sort of.

Cuddy

Cyndaquil Master
There is a think about the evolution of Quaxly. If anything, we can not say what type the final evolution will be. Look at Rowlet. A grass flying type, while its final evolution is a grass/ghost type. Torchic, the other bird Pokemon is a fire type, turning into a fire/fighting type. So if it is a flightless duck or booby, then it could be a share type with one of the other types.

Ryker101

I like the fire one, he looks the most interesting to me. I'm also surprised they're doing another Cat one after Litten (only 2 gens ago). As much as I like Incineroar, I hope this one stays quadruped.

Also I want them all to be dual typed, tbh I was disappointed with how Galar's played out

I think all 3 of the starters seem really fun, depending on the direction it takes I think Quaxly will be my choice on my main game and I will adventure with both on my other game.

I like the idea of Quaxly becoming a pirate/explorer themed type Pokemon and I think any typing but Water/Flying will be appreciated.
Fuecoco I can imagine becoming some kind of ghost type but honestly cannot predict anything with it as of yet.
Sprigatito is adorable and seen lots of talk about it becoming a lynx with steel and dark thrown around as secondary typing's. As long as it stays on all fours and doesn't become unnecessarily sexy looking... (Looking at you Pokemon akin to Lopunny etc)