• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 9 Starters - Discussion/Speculation Thread

Golden_Arcanine

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Having time to let the designs settle in, I’m a fan of Fuecoco (best starter name) and Quaxly (cutest starter imo). Sprigatito is kind of bland and not really seeing the hype but will probably grow on me because I love cats. Definitely picking Fuecoco since Fire starters are always the best. The bipedal complaints are already starting just as we were finally seeing the end of the complaints for Gen 8’s starters. Personally don’t care about if they’re humanoid as long as they’re cool. Usually there’s at least one starter that is the fan favorite from the start but it seems like all 3 are loved equally.

My thoughts, reference to a Spain based region is quite clear and based on that we have the following:

- Sprigatito: Iberian Lynx due to absence of a long tail, also greenish color could later evolve on something more camouflaged as Iberian Lynx pattern. A sabertooth third stage seems logical following dinosaur-like theories based of grass starters and absence of tail mentioned previously;

- Fuecoco: Cuca! Quite particular and very original folklore from Spain/Portugal/Brazil (Brazilian here). Similar version of a bugbear who haunt kids that are not behaving, however, on some parts of those locations mentioned above it takes the form of a dragon who fights Saint George or Brazilian version which it takes the form of a crocodile like witch (Sítio do Pica Pau Amarelo reference here, Tv Show from 90s for the kids based on Brazilian folklore, Google Cuca for more details - pretty funny in really). A fire starter theory based on Chinese Zodiac of a serpent like witch os possible (not a big fan of a new Delphox but let’s see …);
- Quaxly: Ok ok Blue-footed booby, roger that (former Marine here …), however, the hat like thing over his head has a symbol that looks like a wave (ok water starter) but also looks like a Buccaneer hat. For those who doesn’t know the Golden Age of Piracy occurred on Caribbean waters and had a strong presence of Spanish pirates. They were good on navigation, same for Portuguese. Following the theories for waters starters based on weapons it could end with a hook on his arm (wings in really), a cannon like (not my favorite as we already have Blastoise) or a pirate sword. Let’s see what future leaks/news release will bring to us …

Palamon

Silence is Purple
I think I like Sprigatito best, I always lean towards the Grass type starters, I've never disliked any except maybe Chespin, tbh,. I like Quaxly, too, it's a really cute starter. Fuecoco is okay, but I honestly think it looks too much like a Mario character, tbh. It'll have to go on me before I can say for certain I like it. I hope it become a Dragon type when it evolves, though, because that'd be really cool.

Winter_Sun

The first time I saw fuecoco I thought that it would be the grass starter because it looks like a pepper. I wish it turns fire/grass. However, I don't have my hopes up.

MrJechgo

Making Quaxly Water/Flying, as I said, would nerf Sprigatito unless it's Grass/Rock, cancelling both Water's and Flying's effectivenesses, but then now Fuecoco would be nerfed in turn, because Rock cancels Fire's effectiveness UNLESS it's Fire/Steel, which resists Grass and Flying, cancels Rock and is still weak to Water.

So... Grass/Rock, Fire/Steel and Water/Flying would be a suitable triangle... except for the community who wants other typings ^^;

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Swanna already exists and Duckling as well so hopefully they pull a Decidueye and drop the flying type all together. Quaxly is who I'm picking probably. I went with Litten is SM and Grookey in SWSH so its time to get back to Water types since they're the best.

Making Quaxly Water/Flying, as I said, would nerf Sprigatito unless it's Grass/Rock, cancelling both Water's and Flying's effectivenesses, but then now Fuecoco would be nerfed in turn, because Rock cancels Fire's effectiveness UNLESS it's Fire/Steel, which resists Grass and Flying, cancels Rock and is still weak to Water.

So... Grass/Rock, Fire/Steel and Water/Flying would be a suitable triangle... except for the community who wants other typings ^^;
I don't think being "screwed" really matters. Technically Empoleon is screwed because Infernape is a Fighting type and Torterra is a Ground type.

MrJechgo

I don't think being "screwed" really matters. Technically Empoleon is screwed because Infernape is a Fighting type and Torterra is a Ground type.
Empoleon was "resistant" to Grass and gave a "false sense of vulnerability" toward Fire, thanks to Steel. This is the only time when there were TWO type triangles for the starters, each one going in opposite directions. Chestnaught, Delphox and Greninja also had two triangles, but both were going in the same direction (Grass beats Fire beats Water; Dark beats Psychic beats Fighting).
I just hope it isn't mixed like Gen 1, 3 & 5 either make them all secondary or all Mono
I agree.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Empoleon was "resistant" to Grass and gave a "false sense of vulnerability" toward Fire, thanks to Steel. This is the only time when there were TWO type triangles for the starters, each one going in opposite directions. Chestnaught, Delphox and Greninja also had two triangles, but both were going in the same direction (Grass beats Fire beats Water; Dark beats Psychic beats Fighting).

I agree.
But Empoleon wasn’t resistant to grass and it really wasn’t resistant to fire anyway. In fact Inerfnape defeats both of the starters because he’s fire/fighting and is super effective towards each starter.

Last edited:

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
I'm still not too sure how I feel about these starters, since they all seem very cute but also kind of boring? I have no doubt that they'll grow on me over time though as new Pokemon tend to do. Fuecoco is my favourite thus far, he reminds me of Dry Bones from Mario in a way? Sprigatito has a super cute name but isn't that exciting to me, and Quaxly is just okay (reminds me of Ducklett a bit too much). I do appreciate how vague their concepts are though - whilst I did like the fact that the Galar trio were fairly easy to predict (Grookey = drummer, Scorbunny = footballer, Sobble = crybaby who grows into a badass) I think that also locked their personalities in a bit too much, whilst these new starters are a clean slate with room to grow.

I do not know enough Spanish/Portuguese history or lore to predict what the starters will become directly, but I have a few ideas going through my head right now! Quaxly I reckon will become a Water/Fighting type themed on an admiral, pirate or explorer (could maybe make a case for Water/Dark, Water/Flying or Water/Steel, but Water/Fighting would be cool) - if you do subscribe to the "Water starters = weapon theme" I could see this guy having a sword or hook of some kind built into the design? Sprigatito could become some sort of sabercat if we're sticking to the "Grass starters = prehistoric" thing, or I've seen a lynx idea going around which could be unique. Grass/Psychic or Grass/Fairy would be my choices there! Fuecoco could go anywhere - lots of folks reckon its got a pepper theme and I don't entirely disagree so Fire/Poison basilisk/komodo dragon could be cool? I'd also accept Fire/Ghost (ghost peppers are apparently a thing) or Fire/Ground.

Golden_Arcanine

I mentioned Flying-type just because it seems like the least but sure possible outcome. Decidueye ended up being a Ghost-type too, but the point is the possibility of a second typing being possible.
I think I mentioned it in this thread (or might have been the general thread), but going with Water/Flying at best seems incredibly lazy. The only dual type Pokemon with Water and another type that has more are Water/Rock (11) and Water/Ground (9). Plus, it's close enough to the Wingull line, Ducklett line, and Crammorant.

Nave

I mentioned Flying-type just because it seems like the least but sure possible outcome. Decidueye ended up being a Ghost-type too, but the point is the possibility of a second typing being possible.
Quaxly is a pure Water type, so I don't think it will gain Flying--Rowlet was Grass/Flying, and then lost Flying to gain Ghost to fill the extinct animal quota. If it becomes a matador, I could see it becoming Water/Fighting; if it becomes a conquistador, I could see it becoming Water/Steel. Both would be preferred over Water/Flying. However, I could also see it stay pure Water type, which is kind of annoying because we have more of those than any other typing, even mono Normal.

Golden_Arcanine

We had a straight Fire/Fighting-type combo for three generations.
And they were largely blasted for repeating it. But they haven't had any other Fire/Fighting types. I'm not saying they won't, I'm just saying it'd be incredibly lazy on their behalf.

Dragon Pulse

I personally don't want to see Fighting added as a secondary type for any of them because we've literally had it rehashed in some way since Gen III. Even though Gen 7 and 8 didn't have a Fighting type (excluding Hisuian Decidueye for Gen 8), Incineroar and Cinderace pretty much were basically Fighting but without the typing. I'm bored of seeing a fighter/sporty themed evolution for a starter. I'd be behind Fire/Ghost for Fuecoco, but Hisuian Typhlosion is a thing (not saying they obviously can't use it again, but a typing like Ghost just doesn't seem like the type to be rehashed again if that makes any sense). I guess what I'm trying to say is that Game Freak should be a little more open with every other typing that literally exists since they have a tendency to re-use typings a lot.

Also I pray Sprigatito remains quadraped, otherwise it'll just be Litten's Grass clone.

Last edited:

.Aerodactyl.

I'd love to see them do something crazy and have the typings go Grass/Water, Fire/Grass, Water/Fire. I know some people are hoping for it because it looks like Fuecoco is based partially on a Pepper which could justify a Grass typing. Personally I don't think they'd do it, but I'd still love to see it.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I don't really see how Sprigatito or Quaxly would end up picking up the Water and Fire typings respectively. At least some connection exists for Fuecoco with it being a pepper, but absolutely nothing about the other two suggests one of the other starter typings, and I don't think it's very likely they'll have a Fire/Grass starter by itself, although I wouldn't particularly mind being wrong about that.

ShadowForce720

I personally don't want to see Fighting added as a secondary type for any of them because we've literally had it rehashed in some way since Gen III. Even though Gen 7 and 8 didn't have a Fighting type (excluding Hisuian Decidueye for Gen 8), Incineroar and Cinderace pretty much were basically Fighting but without the typing. I'm bored of seeing a fighter/sporty themed evolution for a starter. I'd be behind Fire/Ghost for Fuecoco, but Hisuian Typhlosion is a thing (not saying they obviously can't use it again, but a typing like Ghost just doesn't seem like the type to be rehashed again if that makes any sense). I guess what I'm trying to say is that Game Freak should be a little more open with every other typing that literally exists since they have a tendency to re-use typings a lot.

Also I pray Sprigatito remains bipedal, otherwise it'll just be Litten's Grass clone.
I think you have a typo here because you said bipedal(which means has 2 legs) when I think you meant quadrupled(which mean has 4 legs).