• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 9 Starters - Discussion/Speculation Thread

Zafie

A Longtime Fan
I like all of them actually but I'm really bothered by the placement and look of Sprigatito's eyes... I hope they'll fix it before they release the games :/

Source from: @Barbie_E4 on Twitter
Screenshot-20220301-215510-Twitter.jpg

Luxeon

Admittedly, the eyes do seem a bit off on Sprigatito. I'm not sure it's noticeable enough for them to fix it; you do have to look pretty close to know anything's off on it. Though it has been discussed a whole lot online now so maybe.

As for evolution typings... still curious if the fully evolved fire starter will be quadrupedal for the first time ever, though since Fuecoco is already bipedal it probably won't be. I do not forsee it gaining a grass typing but something crazy would be for it to gain the Electric typing, since yellow often means electric. Kind of throws the pepper resemblance out the window, but...

Anyway, by my count the types that haven't been used as secondary types for starters are: Rock, Bug, Electric, Ice, and Dragon, plus Grass, Fire, and Water (as secondary types) and also, Normal. I can definitely see Fuecoco going the Dragon route, while I doubt any starter would ever gain Bug type.

Orphalesion

I like all of them actually but I'm really bothered by the placement and look of Sprigatito's eyes... I hope they'll fix it before they release the games :/

So that's what bothered me. I thought there was something "off" about this batch of starters.
Well, as long as it's nothing worse

Golden_Arcanine

Admittedly, the eyes do seem a bit off on Sprigatito. I'm not sure it's noticeable enough for them to fix it; you do have to look pretty close to know anything's off on it. Though it has been discussed a whole lot online now so maybe.

As for evolution typings... still curious if the fully evolved fire starter will be quadrupedal for the first time ever, though since Fuecoco is already bipedal it probably won't be. I do not forsee it gaining a grass typing but something crazy would be for it to gain the Electric typing, since yellow often means electric. Kind of throws the pepper resemblance out the window, but...

Anyway, by my count the types that haven't been used as secondary types for starters are: Rock, Bug, Electric, Ice, and Dragon, plus Grass, Fire, and Water (as secondary types) and also, Normal. I can definitely see Fuecoco going the Dragon route, while I doubt any starter would ever gain Bug type.
I could see a Grass/Bug type in the future as could Water/Ice. And we made the same thought process with Scorbunny as a potential Fire/Electric starter.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I fully expect the starters to all go bipedal AND have secondary typings

Fuecoco will stay bulkier, and I think his hair strands that look like stems also remind me of bed head in young kids and then his belly like little pajamas with a flap. I could see his hair growing somewhat like Drampa's ugly hair lol with some kind of obscuring of it's body, and since people are thinking he is based on elcoco, the bed head hair would make sense and he could get dark or ghost as a secondary typing.

Sprigatito will go bipedal right away and I think it will have royalty/dancer theme going on. It reminds me of a lot of the newer bipedal cat characters in cartoons tbh, I think it will have a mix between Hisuian Lilligant or Tsareena, and then Delphox. I could see it having fairy or fighting as it's secondary type. and being the thinnest of the three.

Quaxley is cute af. I think it'll go the obvious conquistador route and gain either dark, fighting, or steel as it's secondary typing. I have the hardest time imagining it's evolutions without imagining a mix of Swanna and Sirfetch'd, but I think it will have the medium sized body between the three starters.

Orphalesion

I dunno about Quaxley becoming a Conquistador, I mean those guys invaded and genocided a whole continent, I don't they should have Pokemon representation. There's heaps of less controversial stuff Quaxley could become.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I dunno about Quaxley becoming a Conquistador, I mean those guys invaded and genocided a whole continent, I don't they should have Pokemon representation. There's heaps of less controversial stuff Quaxley could become.
Pokemon has some connections to Genghis Khan and Napoleon so I wouldn't rule it out based on genocide, invasions, or tyranny. Pokemon doesn't seem to really care about the subjects they take themes from as much as they do for making a cool pokemon out of it.

I also think a conquistador would be a cool addition, or at least some pokemon based on the European explorations of the americas

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Could be me, but Sprigatito and Quaxly are more akin Primarina and Incineroar. First impression for both to carry feminine and masculine (Conquistador, Warrior?) traits.

Potential Grass/Fairy-Dark for Sprigatito 3, Fuecoco 3 can be Fire/Steel-Dark-Dragon with a sleek design, and I see Quaxly 3 as Water/Fighting.

Orphalesion

Pokemon has some connections to Genghis Khan and Napoleon so I wouldn't rule it out based on genocide, invasions, or tyranny. Pokemon doesn't seem to really care about the subjects they take themes from as much as they do for making a cool pokemon out of it.

I also think a conquistador would be a cool addition, or at least some pokemon based on the European explorations of the americas

Kangaskahn is just the English name and comes from the depths of the 90s, and Napoleon didn't commit genocide or destroy whole cultures.
Also I didn't say that Quaxo can't possibly become a conquistador, I said I don't want it.
There's a lot of other things it can become, like a Sailor, or something based on Don Quixote, which are less horrible than a conquistador.

maq7742

Quaxly is gonna be a navy captain or admiral to play off of Spain's history as a premier naval power in Europe. The crest looks like a sailor's cap, it's described as being neat and earnest, and it's got kind of a pose. Could see Armaduck (Armada + duck) or something like that. And if it were going to be water/flying then it would be already, so I think water/fighting seems like a fair bet given the theme.
Fuecoco could be the pepper theme yeah but it won't be grass type. My guess would be it stays pure fire and is just one of those mons that looks kinda like a dragon, learns dragon type moves, and maybe is in the dragon egg group but isn't actually dragon type.
Sprigatito I have no read on. It's a cat. If I had to take a shot in the dark, I'll say it's matador themed with the "attention-seeking" description playing into waving a leaf cape around. There's gonna be a matador mon, I'd bet 95%, but not sure it's this one. No clue on type.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
Kangaskahn is just the English name and comes from the depths of the 90s, and Napoleon didn't commit genocide or destroy whole cultures.
Also I didn't say that Quaxo can't possibly become a conquistador, I said I don't want it.
There's a lot of other things it can become, like a Sailor, or something based on Don Quixote, which are less horrible than a conquistador.

I really just want Donkeote the normal/steel type Donkey pokemon.

Cradily17

Sprigatito is my favorite of the three. I hope it gets a feminine final evolution like Primarina.

Ultra Beast Lover

You know, I'd actually like it if Grass was the best starter to use in a region, it hasn't been done for quite a while: Gen 1 was Bulbasaur, Gen 2 I want to say was Totadile but I think that's just because I used it, all I know is that Chikorita was not good for the Gen 2 games, Gen 3 was Mudkip or Torchic, Gen 4 was Chimchar, Gen 5 was either Oshawott or Tepig, not sure because I always chose the otter, Gen 6 I'm pretty sure it was Froakie, Gen 7 it was Primarina but I'm not sure if that was the case for both SuMo and USUM, I just chose it both times because Poplio defense squad, and for Gen 8 if I remember correctly Scorbunny was the best starter for Galar.

There have been plenty of great Grass type starters, it just seems as though they keep getting stuck with regions that don't let them be the best option. I don't know though, I'd probably have to recheck the analysis of the best starters for each region because I feel like this can't be right, there must've been one other region besides Kanto where Grass was the best choice.

Volcarona1994

I wouldn't be surprised if Sprigatito ends up being based on a Knight of the Orden de Santiago (a templar). Why? Because Sprigatito's fur in its cheeks and fur strongly resemble the cross of said Orden (downside). You can try searching in google Cruz de la Orden de Santiago and you'll see what I am pointing out.

I have no idea what can be done to Fuecoco. I think it might evolve into the dragon of the fabled myth of San Jordi and the dragon. In Spain there is a tradition about that myth and we celebrate it as a reminder of how good prevailed over evil.

Quaxly actually surprises me because I don't see it as a matador nor a conquistador, but a seducer (a Don Juan). In Spanish literature, Don Juan was a seducer who liked captivating the hearts of the ladies he met. Also, it is said we Spanish people are very romantic, alluring and passionate (we know how to seduce). However, another thing Quaxly can be based on too is a Spanish guerrillero. Spanish guerrilleros were a "warrior type" who fiercely fought French armies during Napoleon times (when Napoleon wanted to subdue Spanish people an become the king of Spain) to protect Spain's self-government ability.

MrJechgo

I'll just drop this here: Psyduck and Golduck are ducks... but don't fly, thus don't have the Flying type.

That is all ;)

Nave

You know, I'd actually like it if Grass was the best starter to use in a region, it hasn't been done for quite a while: Gen 1 was Bulbasaur, Gen 2 I want to say was Totadile but I think that's just because I used it, all I know is that Chikorita was not good for the Gen 2 games, Gen 3 was Mudkip or Torchic, Gen 4 was Chimchar, Gen 5 was either Oshawott or Tepig, not sure because I always chose the otter, Gen 6 I'm pretty sure it was Froakie, Gen 7 it was Primarina but I'm not sure if that was the case for both SuMo and USUM, I just chose it both times because Poplio defense squad, and for Gen 8 if I remember correctly Scorbunny was the best starter for Galar.

There have been plenty of great Grass type starters, it just seems as though they keep getting stuck with regions that don't let them be the best option. I don't know though, I'd probably have to recheck the analysis of the best starters for each region because I feel like this can't be right, there must've been one other region besides Kanto where Grass was the best choice.
Cinderace may be the best in Singles, but Rillaboom is by far the best in Doubles. As a matter of fact, I think Rillaboom is on par with Venusaur as the best Grass starters of all time.

As far as the best starters in competitive play, I would rank them like this:
Gen 1: Venusaur, although if we're including Mega Evolution Charizard Y is the best. Blastoise is amazing too.
Gen 2: Feraligatr. If it can set up with Dragon Dance, it is downright scary holding a Life Orb.
Gen 3: Blaziken. Speed Boost Blaziken is a beast. At the time it was released, it was probably the best starter of all time.
Gen 4: Infernape or Empoleon. Infernape is probably used more, but I prefer the latter.
Gen 5: Serperior. Contrary + Leaf Storm is amazing. Has great status moves like Glare too.
Gen 6: Greninja. Protean... need I say more?
Gen 7: Easily Incineroar. It's the most used non-legendary in Doubles, period.
Gen 8: Cinderace in Singles, and Rillaboom in Doubles.

Looking at that list, I would say it's pretty balanced--3 for Grass, 3 for Fire (4 including Mega Charizard Y), and 3 for Water.

Although I'm assuming you're talking about in game, not competitive--so no Hidden Abilities.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Pokemon has some connections to Genghis Khan and Napoleon so I wouldn't rule it out based on genocide, invasions, or tyranny.
Napoleon yes. But Genghis Khan? I mean Khan makes up part of Kangaskhan but that's pretty much all I can think of referencing Temujin.

Also, Napoleon for his flaws is considered much less of a supervillain than a Khan or a Tepes and he's super important to European history so them referencing him is understandable. I'm just surprised it was in Sinnoh and not Kalos

Ultra Beast Lover

Cinderace may be the best in Singles, but Rillaboom is by far the best in Doubles. As a matter of fact, I think Rillaboom is on par with Venusaur as the best Grass starters of all time.

As far as the best starters in competitive play, I would rank them like this:
Gen 1: Venusaur, although if we're including Mega Evolution Charizard Y is the best. Blastoise is amazing too.
Gen 2: Feraligatr. If it can set up with Dragon Dance, it is downright scary holding a Life Orb.
Gen 3: Blaziken. Speed Boost Blaziken is a beast. At the time it was released, it was probably the best starter of all time.
Gen 4: Infernape or Empoleon. Infernape is probably used more, but I prefer the latter.
Gen 5: Serperior. Contrary + Leaf Storm is amazing. Has great status moves like Glare too.
Gen 6: Greninja. Protean... need I say more?
Gen 7: Easily Incineroar. It's the most used non-legendary in Doubles, period.
Gen 8: Cinderace in Singles, and Rillaboom in Doubles.

Looking at that list, I would say it's pretty balanced--3 for Grass, 3 for Fire (4 including Mega Charizard Y), and 3 for Water.

Although I'm assuming you're talking about in game, not competitive--so no Hidden Abilities.
Yeah I mean the main game

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3

This starter is super cute....!!!!!! So my type.
I wonder if its evolution will be good too
Its the first gen where the grass type starter is my favourite by a LARGE margin