• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 9 Starters - Discussion/Speculation Thread

MrJechgo

What if Fuecoco received some "genes" from Snivy and Serperior... and would lose its legs upon evolving?

A wyrm, linnorm or quetzacoualt would be fitting for Fuecoco, if they dive deeper into Spanish folklore and probably widen it to Latin and South American ones, including Aztecs and Mayans. A giant snake-like dragon would be awesome, come to think of it ;)

I know that a lot of people want Sprigatito to remain on all fours, but... if they take a cue from Dreamworks's Puss-in-boots (despite the original tale being Italian) and make it a Zorro-esque starter, it would be a nice payoff :)

Red and Blue

I thought the pattern would have officially ended with Fuecoco but if its final evolution is serpentine somehow I'd be pretty impressed. Though I think a Fire type version of Feraligatr would be pretty neat

xayshade

What if Fuecoco received some "genes" from Snivy and Serperior... and would lose its legs upon evolving?

A wyrm, linnorm or quetzacoualt would be fitting for Fuecoco, if they dive deeper into Spanish folklore and probably widen it to Latin and South American ones, including Aztecs and Mayans. A giant snake-like dragon would be awesome, come to think of it ;)

I know that a lot of people want Sprigatito to remain on all fours, but... if they take a cue from Dreamworks's Puss-in-boots (despite the original tale being Italian) and make it a Zorro-esque starter, it would be a nice payoff :)
I've been thinking that fuecoco looks more Dinosaurian. Like look at it's thick hind legs and bipedal stance. Even feraligatr line has gator feet. And then look at the teeth. It's got front incisors.

Bear with me but what if, instead of snake, this is the ox? It's skull head grows horns to look like a bull skull, it's legs become longer, it's arms shorter, and it becomes a carnotaurus (meat eating bull)? That would be pretty unique while still being zodiac and switching it up

Taodragon

Training Anaylst

I don't think Fuecoco will lose its legs. Snivy had pretty small limbs that in retrospect made the transition to no legs with Serperior pretty smooth. Fuecoco's limbs are more prominent, so they probably would remain in whatever final evolution they do for it rather than disappear entirely.

As for Sprigatito becoming Puss in Boots/Zorro hybrid, I like the idea, though I'm curious how they'd handle it. Antonio's Bandera's Puss in Boots is very popular and iconic, but I'm not sure how prominent he is in Spain itself. So I'm wondering if they'd play more to the Zorro half since that's more at home in the country, or embrace the Shrek's Puss in Boots interpretation due to its general popularity (and taking cues from Zorro anyway).

Last edited:

MrJechgo

I've been thinking that fuecoco looks more Dinosaurian. Like look at it's thick hind legs and bipedal stance. Even feraligatr line has gator feet. And then look at the teeth. It's got front incisors.
We'll have to wait and see :)
Bear with me but what if, instead of snake, this is the ox? It's skull head grows horns to look like a bull skull, it's legs become longer, it's arms shorter, and it becomes a carnotaurus (meat eating bull)? That would be pretty unique while still being zodiac and switching it up
Nah, I don't think so... If they wanted a veal that evolved into a bull (especially for a region based on Spain), they would have done so upon reveal.
I don't think Fuecoco will lose its legs. Snivy had pretty small limbs that in retrospect made the transition to no legs with Serperior pretty smooth. Fuecoco's limbs are more prominent, so they probably would remain in whatever final evolution they do for it rather than disappear entirely.
I'll take a long, elongated body :p
As for Sprigatito becoming Puss in Boots/Zorro hybrid, I like the idea, though I'm curious how they'd handle it. Antonio's Bandera's Puss in Boots is very popular and iconic, but I'm not sure how prominent he is in Spain itself. So I'm wondering if they'd play more to the Zorro half since that's more at home in the country, or embrace the Shrek's Puss in Boots interpretation due to its general popularity (and taking cues from Zorro anyway).
I mentioned Zorro, because Puss in Boots is an Italian fairy tale, while Zorro is a Mexican legend. Also, we could get a... cat burglar XD

Orphalesion

I mentioned Zorro, because Puss in Boots is an Italian fairy tale, while Zorro is a Mexican legend. Also, we could get a... cat burglar XD
I mean a lot of European Culture is so intermingled that most fairy tales are known in every country.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst

Fair, I just don't think they'll do a 'Serperior, but Fire' since not only does it not fit, but it'd also be a little conceptually dull for another Starter.

Whoops, that's embarrassing.

Thinking about it, we don't have a burglar among the starters. Spies and Ninjas are similar, but not necessarily the same.

Nave

I really like the idea of them becoming Grass/Fairy, Fire/Poison and Water/Steel. I'm especially surprised I haven't seen many people suggest Poison for Fuecoco. It makes sense when you think about it and would suit it quite well.
If that type triangle holds true, and I think that it's a pretty strong possibility that it does, what Hidden Abilities would you like for them?

These are my predictions:

Sprigatito (Grass/Fairy) - Aroma Veil. If it grows flowers, I think this makes sense. So far it's only available to the Aromatisse line.
Fuecoco (Fire/Poison) - Multiscale. Seems like a great Ability for a serpentine Pokemon. So far only Dragonite and Lugia have it.
Quaxly (Water/Steel) - Steely Spirit. Just seems like something a conquistador or pirate would have. So far it's only available to Perrserker.

Another ability I think might work for Sprigatito is Strong Jaw, if it evolves into a Sabretooth Tiger.

Orphalesion

I would really like it if Sprigatito would evolve into a pretty Grass/Fairy type. We didn't really have a "pretty" starter in Gen 8 (Rillaboom and Intelleon were cool, but not exactly "pretty" like, for example Primarina was) so it would be nice to have one this gen.

Orphalesion

I was just looking at fanart of all the fire starters together and.. I know someone probably pointed this out before me, but Fuecoco is the first Fire Starter since Gen 1 who is reptilian. From Gen 2-8 they were always mammals (or in Torchic's case a bird)

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
I don't really mind secondary types, as long as we get a meshed group. And by that I mean both single types and duo types included. Not a fan of this new trend where all starters have to either be one or the other, seems to be really restrictive since it demands all of the 3 to agree in terms of concept and design.

With that said, I would love if Fuecoco ended up Fire/Poison. A huge lizard oozing thick poisonous gas from its mouth was everything I wanted for Salandit evo and... well... it didn't go exactly there.

Last edited:

We'll have to wait and see :)

Nah, I don't think so... If they wanted a veal that evolved into a bull (especially for a region based on Spain), they would have done so upon reveal.

Looking at sprigatito’s leaf pattern on the face it actually looks like a mask. But I don’t want it to be part dark, hoping for a fairy second type. Fairy’s can be ‘evil’ too

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Honestly, the shape of Sprigatito's cheek fur reminds me of fleur-de-lis, which means flower and lily in French. This symbol is often used by royalty. Sprigatito could potentially have a royalty-inspired design.

Looking into it, all three starters could potentially be inspired by creatures that are depicted on the coat of arms (heraldic charges).

2dtyplosion

I hope that Sprigatito stays on all 4 legs and doesnt become buff and humanoid or stay pure Grass. Typings I'd like would be

Grass/steel
Grass/rock
Grass/fairy

XaelOstigian

Competitive...kinda
Grass starter will probably evolve into a shaggy and mossy leopard, Fire starter will probably evolve into a bi-pedal Fire/Dragon with chilli motif, and the Water starter will probably evolve into a navy commander (Sailor suit ftw).

ShadowForce720

You know it would be cool if the Grass starter’s final evolution was based on a Saber-tooth Cat/Tiger/Lion it could even mix that with a Leopard.

Golden_Arcanine

I think this is possible given Sprigatito's bright pink eyes.
But it could also be Psychic

Or I could ultimately be reading too much into it lol
Aren't we all? If they went with a Sabre Tooth Tiger for Sprigatito, it could be Grass/Steel.