• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 9 Starters - Discussion/Speculation Thread

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Everything is fake. Even if the best made ones have a chance of being 0.01% legit.

Nave

Quaxly3 looks too much like a fakemon. I say fake.
The Fuecoco3 looks like something only Gamefreak would come up with.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
It's likely that the final starter types will be Grass/Fairy, Fire/Ghost, and Water/Fighting.

Orphalesion

Quaxly3 looks too much like a fakemon. I say fake.
The Fuecoco3 looks like something only Gamefreak would come up with.
Thing is, by now at least some of the fakemon makers know that Game Freak often goes into a strange direction that has little to do with what certain very vocal fans in the online community want, so probably at least some of them aim for that exact look.
So the Fuecoco evoultion could just be a rather successful attempt at that old Game Freak weirdness.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I find most concept art leaks fake because most of them try to piggyback off the Alolan starters leak, which I believe happened because someone intercepted the concept art as it was sent to Sakurai to decide which of them would join Smash Ultimate, which ultimately ended up being Incineroar.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
These "leakers" sure love their starters, their regional variants, and Google translate.

Why not take a screenshot of the game or the upcoming trailer, a short clip of gameplay, an actual new Pokemon, an NPC? Because they can't. Artwork is a lot easier to imitate so they stick to that kind of leak. Just draw a fakemon, Japanese descriptions, and slap a CONFIDENTIAL on it. This is just sad to the point it's become annoying.

But hey, it's still something to talk about, I guess...

Orphalesion

These "leakers" sure love their starters, their regional variants, and Google translate.

Why not take a screenshot of the game or the upcoming trailer, a short clip of gameplay, an actual new Pokemon, an NPC? Because they can't. Artwork is a lot easier to imitate so they stick to that kind of leak. Just draw a fakemon, Japanese descriptions, and slap a CONFIDENTIAL on it. This is just sad to the point it's become annoying.

But hey, it's still something to talk about, I guess...
Okay you obviously don't like speculation on rumours, that's okay.

But others do, and it's not like it hurts anybody.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
Everything is fake. Even if the best made ones have a chance of being 0.01% legit.

You say this as if we've never had actual leaks, but we have.

Whilst I'm not going to believe that they are legit, until proven. I think it can be fun to consider how possible they could be.

If that Fuecoco evo is real, I would not mind, much nicer than any of the Galar starter evos.

The Head Honchkrow

I don't think Wulava was having a go at anybody. They were just pointing out that all the "leaks" seem to cover the same material i.e the starter evolutions, instead something actually brand new or substantial.

Sure, leaks don't hurt anybody, but they do hamper speculation and can lead to unnecessary expectations in the fanbase. I just watched a video that talks about this "leak culture" prominent in the Pokémon community. Definitely worth a watch (LINK).

Last edited:

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
My question is IF that Fuecoco evolution is real,

HOW the heck did it get leaked?

When the Alola Starters leaked, that happened because someone intercepted the exchange between Gamefreak and Sakurai when trying to incorporate Incineroar into Smash Bros

Smash Bros season is over now so how on Earth did Fuecoco's evo slip when the Galar Starters AND the Hisuian Starters all went completely hidden until it was time to Datamine the games

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
On the leak subject, maybe it would be a good thing to have a dedicated thread for that? An "Unconfirmed information" thread or whatever... I am sure many people prefer to avoid leaks, regardless of whether they are confirmed real or not, and those are starting to be posted in every thread without any restraint.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Have we gotten any riddles? Those are my favourite kind of "leaks" if they qualify as such and were fun to discuss for previous gens!

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
My question is IF that Fuecoco evolution is real,

HOW the heck did it get leaked?

When the Alola Starters leaked, that happened because someone intercepted the exchange between Gamefreak and Sakurai when trying to incorporate Incineroar into Smash Bros

Smash Bros season is over now so how on Earth did Fuecoco's evo slip when the Galar Starters AND the Hisuian Starters all went completely hidden until it was time to Datamine the games
Then it's likely fake unless the same situation happens again and there will be an Ultimate Deluxe coming soon and that leaked Fuecoco evo is getting added to the game as a newcomer.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member

I'm not completely against it. I'm not even forbidding any discussion about it. I'm merely pointing out that these "leaks" try so hard (for clout, especially). But yes, they do get people to talk about it.

Of course, seeing what people come up with is always fun to look at. I just find it tiresome, especially when it happens so often, that's all.

You say this as if we've never had actual leaks, but we have.

Whilst I'm not going to believe that they are legit, until proven. I think it can be fun to consider how possible they could be.

If that Fuecoco evo is real, I would not mind, much nicer than any of the Galar starter evos.
I've said this every pre-release period since HGSS because many people quickly jump at the conclusion that some of these are real. I just keep stressing that it's best to consider everything fake, even if there's a hint of legitimacy to it or even if the source is credible.

Of course, you do you.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Do you have a source of that? That's the first I've heard of it and I have my doubts it's true as according to Sakurai he made the final choice on Incineroar after USUM's release while the Starter Concepts leaked in 2016 before SM released.

Article:

Sakurai: When planning began around December of 2015, I had resolved that I had to have all kinds of fighters in the game. Generally, though, I can’t really add a character from a game that hasn’t come out yet to the roster… So, I left one character frame open for Pokémon, and after Pokémon: Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon came out I took another look at it. That resulted in Incineroar being chosen. I wanted to try making a pro-wrestler type character at least once! Incineroar is voiced by the late Mr. Unshō Ishizuka – of Professor. Oak fame – who passed away back in August; he had recorded new lines just for this game. May he rest in peace.