• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 9 Starters - Discussion/Speculation Thread

Copley Hill Gym

The bulky fire type Fuecoco got my vote and I am sticking with him. I see a lot of potential in him that isn't in the other lines. The fire/ghost typing and bulkiness could be really interesting. Fire types have not exactly been renowned for their defenses, so this time around we will get a very different approach. I see people are writing him off already in terms of competitive play but I think they're overlooking all the advantages of Fire/Ghost typing with those stats. I think he could be really competitive.

MrJechgo

Unpopular opinion: I like all 3 starters' designs, types, hidden abilities and signature moves, but... *sighs* their movepools are EXTREMELY shallow and limited. If they gave Meowscarada both Rock Tomb and Zen Headbutt, Skeledirge both Energy Ball and Flash Cannon and Quaquaval both Drill Run and Iron Head, that would have been great.

To add up, they have great STAB moves for both of their respective types, but someone at GameFreak inverted Physical and Special moves when it came to TM attributions. Meow learns Power Gem, Skele learns Seed Bomb and Quaq learns... nothing "inverted"

ShadowForce720

Unpopular opinion: I like all 3 starters' designs, types, hidden abilities and signature moves, but... *sighs* their movepools are EXTREMELY shallow and limited. If they gave Meowscarada both Rock Tomb and Zen Headbutt, Skeledirge both Energy Ball and Flash Cannon and Quaquaval both Drill Run and Iron Head, that would have been great.

To add up, they have great STAB moves for both of their respective types, but someone at GameFreak inverted Physical and Special moves when it came to TM attributions. Meow learns Power Gem, Skele learns Seed Bomb and Quaq learns... nothing "inverted"
I mean to be fair you can always give them the move Terra Blast and just change their terra type to the type that you want and Terrastalize them to that type.

MrJechgo

I mean to be fair you can always give them the move Terra Blast and just change their terra type to the type that you want and Terrastalize them to that type.
The thing is that you need to pick a type that's also defensively viable. Sure, I could terastalize Meowscarada into a Rock type and Tera Blast any Fire, Ice, Flying and Bug opponents, but then I need to think how Water, Grass, Fighting, Ground and Steel can affect me, amd most of these used to be resisted by Grass and/or Dark ^^;

Tera Blast is also a separate move, and not a "5th move" or an alternate 4th move that becomes available when you Terastal.

Queen Cynthia

Dignified Queen of Sinnoh
Frankly, I find them a bit uninspired: Another cat, another duck , another crocodile and the final forms don't impress me that much, either.

Also, I would have preferred if the final forms would have been Psychic (instead of Ghost), Dark and Fighting type, so the advantages from their first types would have cancelled each other out. Would have been an interesting scenario in that case.

Olright

Just got my sprigatito a second ago, just to find out it was both female (as I wanted) and had jolly nature. At first I thought I just hit a jackpot, but on second - maybe, starters are locked this way on this gen? Did anyone else had the same combi first try?

ShadowForce720

Just got my sprigatito a second ago, just to find out it was both female (as I wanted) and had jolly nature. At first I thought I just hit a jackpot, but on second - maybe, starters are locked this way on this gen? Did anyone else had the same combi first try?
My Sprigatito that I got was a male Sprigatito that I nicknamed Sprigs and it had a Adamant Nature.

shadowF

What is the best moveset and nature for Skeledirge competitive wise? Choosing him as my starter and would like a headstart haha.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
I knew what it's hidden ability is at the time so was being really coy. But won't say for people who don't want spoilers. But if anyone does check the leaks
Actually now it is a bit bittersweet given Gen 9 nerfed Protean and Libero to only work once per switch in. Not sure how it will impact the Sprigatito line but it is now no longer something you can click recklessly, lest you lock it into an unfavourable type until you switch it out.

ShadowForce720

What is the best moveset and nature for Skeledirge competitive wise? Choosing him as my starter and would like a headstart haha.
I’m no expert but wouldn’t a Modest(Sp. Atk+, Atk-) or Quiet (Sp. Atk+, Speed-) nature be good.

As for a move set what about this:

Skeledirge:
Torch Song
Slack Off
Shadow Ball
Earth Power

I suppose some other move options are
Will-o-wisps, Hyper Voice, Terra Blast, Fire Blast, Solar Beam, Facade, or Hex to name a few.

shadowF

I’m no expert but wouldn’t a Modest(Sp. Atk+, Atk-) or Quiet (Sp. Atk+, Speed-) nature be good.

As for a move set what about this:

Skeledirge:
Torch Song
Slack Off
Shadow Ball
Earth Power

I suppose some other move options are
Will-o-wisps, Hyper Voice, Terra Blast, Fire Blast, Solar Beam, Facade, or Hex to name a few.

I feel like I might do Modest since it is already pretty slow, also for the moveset I might do:
Skeledirge
Modest:
Torch Song
Terra Blast
Shadow Ball
Earth Power

Especially since Skeledirge is apparently a very good Pokémon for Terastallization and I could do Fairy for Skeledirge's Terra type that way it would help me a lot competitively haha.

Jeppo

This is probably the first game I boxed my starter.

I think in future gens it's more fun to have a choice out of more starters than just three. Not necessarily 'starters', but out of random Pokémon. This game I roleplay my Skiddo as a starter Pokémon. Mainly because it replaced my Sprigatito.

MrJechgo

Especially since Skeledirge is apparently a very good Pokémon for Terastallization and I could do Fairy for Skeledirge's Terra type that way it would help me a lot competitively haha.
About Tera Blast, it replaces both types, so if you Terastal Skeledirge into a Grass type, it also loses its Ghost type, including its weakness to Fairy.

Julia Artemis

Actually now it is a bit bittersweet given Gen 9 nerfed Protean and Libero to only work once per switch in. Not sure how it will impact the Sprigatito line but it is now no longer something you can click recklessly, lest you lock it into an unfavourable type until you switch it out.

I mean yeah but it still helps Meowscarada a bit. I'm thinking best usage of it is getting rid of its terrible type combo to dark, but can see it being a very good Fairy Pokémon.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Liking this trio. They haven't resonated with me as much as other first impressions but I'm sure they'll grow on me. Personally I'm glad we got Meowscarda after all those unoriginal meme about Sprigatito standing on 2 legs.