• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen V OU RMT

magibas

Drragon Trainer
Hi guys. This is a team I made on pokemon online. It's designed to play on the regular pokemon online server. So sleep clause, species clause, OU, singles. I wanted a team centered around someone that could hit hard and fast, and basically 5 other supporters for that one pokemon. So far this team has worked decently. Yesterday I would win maybe 2/3 matches and today I'm winning just about every other match. Here it is:

;373;Salamence @Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Naive
-Outrage
-Fire Blast
-Crunch
-Earthquake

Salamence is one of my favorite sweepers because he has a massive physical attack and great speed. However, he can be outsped by other Dragons, so I choice scarfed him. I chose Naive over Jolly as a nature because I didn't wanna take a SpA drop so my Fireblast will hit as hard as possible. The Moxie ability is amazing. If my opponent dares to send out a Dragon, I send out Salamence, Outrage, and after the +1 boost, I can sweep most pokemon, gaining more boosts along the way. Stealth rocks can be troublesome for Salamence, but I have a rapid spinner. Fireblast is there for any steel types I might run into. Crunch is there for the occasional Alakazam and if Salamence is my last pokemon I'll be locked into Crunch for decent damage/coverage and possible flinch. Earthquake is there for Tyrannitar really, but is a good coverage move in general. With all that said, I only bring Salamence out if I have to and if I know I'll get the kill. Then I switch out for someone else to take hits or to be used as death fodder.

;376;Metagross @ Air Balloon
Ability: Light Metal
120 HP / 136 Atk / 252 Def
Nature: Impish
-Zen Headbutt
-Meteor Mash
-Ice Punch
-Bullet Punch

With a team built around a dragon, I know that I need to be prepared for other dragons, my biggest fear being another Salamence or a Hydreigon, or even Haxorus. The Air Balloon is there because Metagross hates Earthquake. Other than resisting dragon type moves, Metagross is a great physical wall. I invested a little more EVs in Atk to give him a little extra oomph and it really has paid off. Also a great revenge killer due to Bullet Punch. Meteor Mash is his standard attack and does great STAB. Even if it's not a OHKO I can usually Mash them until they faint while Metagross remains healthy. Ice punch is there for grass types, especially Venosaur, which I had no answer to in the beta phases of this team. Zen Headbutt is good for countering a fighting type or poison types. Mainly Venasaur and Tentacruel, one time I did OHKO a Sawk with it though. I usually use Metagross to switch out Salamence once he gets confused from Outrage and just to tank physical hits in general.

;073;Tentacruel @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Rain Dish
212 HP / 116 SpA / 180 SpD
Nature: Calm
-Toxic Spikes
-Scald
-Substitute
-Rest

This Tentacruel was designed to be my special wall. In all honesty it can tank other water types amazingly, but more often than not it gets killed by Earthquake or Psychic. It still functions well though, especially in the rain which I see a lot online. I use him to set up 2 layers of spikes and then spam Scald for the burnhax. I'll use RestoChesto when needed. Usually once the spikes are laid I'll switch to something else.

;475;Gallade @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant
-Close Combat
-Leaf Blade
-Psycho Cut
-Rock Slide

I think this set is taken pretty much completely from Smogon. Gallade is an awesome physical attacker that provides excellent coverage all around. I love him so much especially against water types. The best use I've found for him is Close Combat on Steel types. Rock slide can wreck flying types, but it's not too strong. The Lum Berry really helps when people try to burn me. Usually Gallade isn't my main offense in a match, but he's a nice ace up my sleeve that I can pull out in certain situations.

:547:Whimsicott @ Grass Gem
Ability: Prankster
220 HP / 120 SpA / 170 Spe
Nature: Modest
-Memento
-Stun Spore
-Energy Ball
-Light Screen

Whimsicott, besides Salamence, is the star of this team. I usually open with him. Whenever I fear that another Dragon may be faster or anything that I'm scared of, I use Whimsicott's stun spore which hits first because of Prankster. Parahax are immensely helpful for setting up a Salamence. EVERY rain team opens with Politoed, so I go for stun spore and then energy ball them to death. Light Screen is an amazing way to give my team a little more longevity and if I know Whimsicott is about to die against something very strong, I'll use Memento to cripple it. The EVs are spread to give energy ball a little more oomph and make him bulky, with just a little speed.

;344;Claydol @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
252 HP / 144 Def/ 112 SpA
Nature: Modest
-Stealth Rock
-Shadow Ball
-Earth Power
-Rapid Spin

Claydol is my rapid spinner. He also sets up Stealthrocks. Sometimes I open with him if I want to get the Rocks out right away. Earth Power can be nice for fire types, I've been wanting to use it on Heatran, but haven't had the chance. Shadow Ball can hit other ghosts and psychics, but honestly Claydol usually gets killed right after setting up Stealth Rocks. Maybe I just don't play him too effectively, but he is the member I'm least pleased with on this team. I do like the rocks and rapid spin though.

This team is fun to play, but things rarely go exactly the way I plan. Sometimes I just win by Outrage sweeps after entry hazard damage. This feels like a cheap win, and I'm just looking for ways to make this team better. Any suggestions would be appreciated and I'm glad to try out any changes, thank you!

CedOmega

4570-7932-5223
Hello Magibas, interesting team you've got here.

That said, I can only think of but a few changes that you may find helpful to your team.

First, Metagross' DW ability Light Metal is immensely outclassed by Clear Body, as the ability to prevent stat drops is sometimes crucial. That said, I feel as if the standard Agility set would be more easily utilized here. A spread of 252 Attack/ 80 Hp/172 Speed with an Adamant nature. While most would say to run Life Orb but, like me, you may prefer to keep Air Balloon as the item. The standard set of Zen Headbutt, Earthquake/Bullet Punch, Meteor Mash/Ice Punch & Agility should suffice.

Metagross@Air Balloon
Trait: Clear Body
Adamant nature
252 Attack/172 Speed/80 Hp
Meteor Mash/Ice Punch, Zen Headbutt, Earthquake/Bullet Punch & Agility

Next, Tentacruel may appreciate having a spread of 252 Hp/ 220 Sp.Defense/ 36 Speed to help with tanking more special attacks like Thunderbolt and weaker users of Psychic.

Next, we come to Gallade, whom I feel is out of place here. Your team lacks real specially offensive presence. Something like Alakazam or Reuniclus may be a good replacement for it, as the latter can serve as a revenge killer to threats like Garchomp & Rock Polish Sheer Force Landorus variants w/ HP(Ice) or Scizor w/ HP(Fire). Reuniclus, on the other hand, can be very useful. Flame Orb + Trick variants can be very annoying for the opponent, as well as offensive Trick Room variants can be threatening & Bold CM variants can be difficult to handle.

Next, I only have a small change in mind for Whimsicott withmsuch a set. Try Leftovers> Grass Gem and Giga Drain> Energy Ball to keep it healthy when against something like, as you mentioned, Politoed and other Water types. Furthermore, I suggest Leech Seed> Light Screen as added support to the team.

Claydol seems to have an interesting role here and its set seems to be getting the job done effectively. With that, I want to wish you great luck with the team and I hope this helped. :)

magibas

Drragon Trainer
Thanks! I rather like the air balloon on Metagross. It really has got me out of a few sticky situations, but I will definitely try changing the ability and EV spread/ nature. You're right on the Tentacruel, he is a little on the wimpy side against psychic users.

You're totally right about Gallade though! I've noticed I really don't have an answer to anything that's specially defensive. I'll try replacing him Alakazam and see how that works.
I also like the Whimsicott changes. He usually has decent longevity, but with Giga Drain, he could last for days.
Again thank you and I think I can now make my team better :)