• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen VI had the best ideas and aesthetic. Fite me.

Jetsu

Seriously though. Lets run down the list
  • Mega Evolutions. Unlike the lazy VFX bonanza of Z-moves that were basically just giant win buttons, and the even lazier mess that was Dynamax, Mega Evolutions felt like they had a soul and weren't just trying to pave over laziness with raw spectacle. Also, Mega Metagross is the greatest thing since Regular Metagross and nothing will change my mind on that.
  • WynVirgin vs Lumichad City. Yeah this one needs no introduction. Wyndon is a huge disapointment in terms of what a true hub metropolis could have been on Switch... Seriously, without expanding it at all, just putting some polish on the Camera and graphics would have made Lumiose awesome. Instead we got a bunch of empty promises.
  • The Player characters could be implied to be so different in age based on their hair and clothing options...okay mostly the girl since Pokemon always gives the waifu more customization options, but just by being taller and having a wide variety of clothing options, you can make your trainer look so much more varied.
  • The Gang of Rivals/Friends was a neat idea that again, just needed more work. Each one had their own ideas of what they wanted from the game....Such a shame that they didn't get the time they needed to really be worthy of the concept. Also, no Contest-like set of challenges in the game where one of the rivals is outright all about dancing? And always auto-winning against the guy whose thing is completing his Dex?
So yeah, all of X&Y's big ideas were possibly great, they just needed more work. But instead they got thrown out in favor of trying a new gimmick each generation.

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
I don't particularly think it's fair to say that Z-moves are 'lazy' in terms of design. Sure, in competitive, they were a nuke option that allowed for a lot of situations that had no counter play. But from a lore perspective, the Z-crystals, body moves to activate the energy flow, and attacks themselves were all baked into the gameplay and lore of the region.

The game(s) sets the theory that Necrozma, the pokemon based on prism's, ascended to Alola in a burst of light, which scattered the Ultra Wormhole energy and created the crystals. Using world building, we know that they are built into the Alolan culture. The idea is that Necrozma is the original "faller" and that's why the people of Alola do not need to come into contact with the wormholes to use Z-Crystals (such as Anabel). The game sets the stage that Necrozma has been in the region since ancient times (and the burst of light it arrived in also causes it pain since it's now low on energy). We see this direct link with the aura of the Ultra Beast and the aura that surrounds the Z-moves. This also explains why Z-moves are going to more than likely be an Alola specific thing.

Again, perfectly entitled to your opinion to think Mega's are the superior feature, but I don't think it's fair to call the idea lazy.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Gen 6 is AMAZING and is the gen that brought me back to Pokemon ... <3
On one hand, we have XY which had amazing region, characters, Pokemon etc
Then we had a remake of an amazing region - Hoenn..
What can be better? Only having another Kalos game...

Leonhart

Imagineer
I don't agree that Miare (Lumiose) City's size is a good thing: I found that place to be incredibly annoying to venture through. Even to this day 7 years later, I still tend to get lost in some of the backstreets. The changing camera angle feature doesn't help matters.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
Gen6 was the series that really had me hooked hard. Yellow, silver/HG also had that hook but X kept my attention the whole time with small quests ie maxing items, getting all foreign dex data Kunis the legends and it was just plain fun.

The chibi design of the head was a bit annoying but it's not that serious. The berry planting was a chore to say the least and li ked some of the fringe stuff in X ie reverse type battles. Gen7 had those damn nukes but they did make berry growing a breeze, the plaza was good for leveling up in XP and EV but the trading system was annoying to say the least. The PSS was superior IMO. sun failed to keep my attention to the same degree and UM just added some stuff that should be been in sun in the first place... many changes in 7 but the negative sides won. UM had some useful move tutors open up to my team members so i was happy with that. where to start on gen8??? DEXIT, to say the least and sword hasn't held my attention much either and as of lately either... gen8 paints 7 in a better light but the usual stuff still irks me as before. The damn chatter box has rarely spoken to me ever since I completely ignored it :).

All that means in the end is that gen6 could've had some useful gen7 care free berry functions. It had it's issues but it's a great game in the end. Got main X, storage space Y, and a main/storage OR. Gen7 was a letdown when it was released after gen6, the following games had some great perks but the downward trend of playing them still dropped as new games came out. I used to do online casual battles in 6, some in 7 and im still at 0 in gen 8.

If I had a time machine, I'd still buy UM but would make a hard pass on sun.

Last edited:

Just a Torchic

DaiMikuNagi my beloved
I'm very biased because Gen 6 was my first generation, but it has, in my opinion, the coolest and prettiest aesthetic. Like the Pokémon League in Kalos alone gives me chills.

I don't agree that Miare (Lumiose) City's size is a good thing: I found that place to be incredibly annoying to venture through. Even to this day 7 years later, I still tend to get lost in some of the backstreets. The changing camera angle feature doesn't help matters.
I kind of like the confusion. It makes me feel like I'm getting lost in a real city.

RedBlastoise

Cerulean Blues
I agree in some parts but the rivals were really annoying. Why were Shauna, Trevor and Tierno even needed when Calem/Serena fulfilled the rival role well already? Also the gap between the 1st and 2nd gyms was really big.

But the other features in these games were cool. The graphics and music were some of the best even to this day.

janejane6178

I LOVE GEN 6 <3333333
My fav gen (that includes the AMAZING ORAS <33 )

It's the gen that got me back into the Pokemon world, and made me actually buy the games and consoles rather than use emulators

Love u gen 6 <3

TwilightBlade

Y'know I didn't like Gen 6 as much when X and Y first came out but now I do think it had great ideas like the introduction of Fairy types and the skates. Also there were so many great new Pokemon that I love now like Pancham, Fennekin, Froakie, Heliolisk, Pyroar and Noivern. :]

janejane6178

Y'know I didn't like Gen 6 as much when X and Y first came out but now I do think it had great ideas like the introduction of Fairy types and the skates. Also there were so many great new Pokemon that I love now like Pancham, Fennekin, Froakie, Heliolisk, Pyroar and Noivern. :]
It is evident you have a wonderful taste