• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen VI Mega Evolution Discussion Thread

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
They should have given Delibird a mega evolution IMO. No stat changes, but add Uproar to its movepool.

So far I've tried Mega Gyarados, Mega Charizard X, Mega Blastoise, Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Medicham, Mega Scizor, Mega Aerodactyl, Mega Aggron, and Mega Tyranitar (might have tried one or two others briefly, I forget), and of those my favourites are Scizor, Tyranitar, and Kangaskan. Kangaskan is an amazing multipurpose offensive Pokemon that can revengekill with Fake Out/Sucker Punch, boost and sweep with Power-up Punch, or just clean up late game with Parental Bond. Scizor becomes everything regular Scizor is on crack, and Tyranitar is just a powerhouse, although after trying Assault Vest Tyranitar I'm rather dubious about putting a Mega Stone on it.

Melevolence

Khan Breeder
Well, I have to say the two Mega evo's I am in love with at this point are Mega Aerodactyl and Mega Kangaskhan. My only sour thought on Mega Dactyl is how difficult it can be to make good use of his ability. To give him proper coverage, there are only two moves in the pool I've got for mine that actually 'make contact'. But, he makes a good anti Dragon team member with a higher damage Ice Fang.

Mega Khan is by far one of the more 'OP' I feel. I use her often enough, but the hitting twice and gaining effects of attacks twice is pretty nuts. Power Up punch, though weak, is a damaging Sword's Dance. Dizzy Punch becomes a pretty decent STAB attack with two chances to confuse your opponent. I feel her potential is really untapped at this point. I think she will continue to be my most used Mega at this point.

As for the mechanic itself, I feel its...interesting, to say the least. I know loads of people have compared the concept to 'Digimon' with their 'Divigolution' (Evolution that lasts only for brief periods of time, though enchances stats drastically, and provides stronger attacks). I won't be so vain as to say I was one of those people at first. But when I fist turned Lucario Mega during the storyline, I pretty much felt a childlike glee. The sound effects and visuals when it happens look and feel so good. Their new cry giving me tingles of excitement.

I honestly don't know how it will change the game overall. Its sort of a 'last ditch effort' kind of idea, where you forgoe the usual battle item in order to gain a boost of power which may, or may not, ruin your team (depending on type changes, if applicable). I do like its restricted to one Mega evo per battle. And I really love how it doesn't wear off if you switch out, so you don't basically 'waste' it if you have to change out for type advantage.

Though, I can't help a part of me being a bit disapointed. A lot of the Mega Evos could have been a true evolution to certain Pokémon. I know its a very common argument, but I can't help how I feel about it. Absol, Mawile, basically the basic stage Pokémon, and even Medicham maybe should have gotten full evolutions. I could see temporary evolution for stage 2 Pokémon, since I don't foresee them introducing a stage 3 any time soon.

But, those be my thoughts!

KillerDraco

Look, I'm just gonna state the obvious so we can get it out of the way.

Mega Gengar is just ridiculously OP, but I think we all expected that as soon as we saw the words "Shadow Tag" associated with it. All of the fears people had about Shadow Tag Chandelure have been brought to life in Mega Gengar, except with an absolutely absurd speed associated with it. A trapper who's that fast with that much power is pretty much just... absurd. With the steel nerf, it's more dangerous than ever. Yeah, priority still bothers it (minus Mach Punch/Vacuum Wave and Extreme Speed), but it's not entirely certain what Game Freak was thinking when they decided the already powerful Gengar needed what is arguably the most powerful ability in the game.

However, I foresee certain Mega Evolutions seeing very little light of day, simply due to the restriction of having one Mega Evolution per trainer per battle. Mega Aerodactyl being a common example. It's certainly not bad per se, but given the poor move choices to synergize with its ability, and the fact that it forgoes its suicide lead niche, I could see it being passed over in favor of a better Mega Evolution, who's a bit more... game breaking, rather than a nominal improvement. Mega Gengar, Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Scizor, and Mega Aggron being my prime choices for a team's mega evolution. But, need time to try them all out first.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Look, I'm just gonna state the obvious so we can get it out of the way.

Mega Gengar is just ridiculously OP, but I think we all expected that as soon as we saw the words "Shadow Tag" associated with it. All of the fears people had about Shadow Tag Chandelure have been brought to life in Mega Gengar, except with an absolutely absurd speed associated with it. A trapper who's that fast with that much power is pretty much just... absurd. With the steel nerf, it's more dangerous than ever. Yeah, priority still bothers it (minus Mach Punch/Vacuum Wave and Extreme Speed), but it's not entirely certain what Game Freak was thinking when they decided the already powerful Gengar needed what is arguably the most powerful ability in the game.

However, I foresee certain Mega Evolutions seeing very little light of day, simply due to the restriction of having one Mega Evolution per trainer per battle. Mega Aerodactyl being a common example. It's certainly not bad per se, but given the poor move choices to synergize with its ability, and the fact that it forgoes its suicide lead niche, I could see it being passed over in favor of a better Mega Evolution, who's a bit more... game breaking, rather than a nominal improvement. Mega Gengar, Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Scizor, and Mega Aggron being my prime choices for a team's mega evolution. But, need time to try them all out first.

I didn't even mention Mega Gengar simply because I refuse to use something that's so ridiculously broken. Seriously, what kind of mind raping drug does one need to be on to think that taking one of OU's best Pokemon and giving it Shadow Tag would be a good idea?

ghost_dog97

the sweeper
there are two beastly mega evolutions and those are aerodactyl, and kangaskhan

Melevolence

Khan Breeder

As I vouched in my own post, I'm in love with Mega Khan. She is...just...amazing. The double strike allowing her to reap the benefits of moves used is just insanity.

And sadly, like DracoKiller and myself pointed out, as much as I love Mega Aerodactyl, it doesn't have a lot of moves to reap the rewards of its own ability. Mostly, all it can bank on is the Fangs or Crunch to really rack up bonus damage. He looks awesome, and his cry gives me glorious tingles. But, he often takes a back seat as a Mega evolver on my team due to me also using Khan.

The main issue with Mega Aerodactyl is not that it's bad, it's just that everything is better. There's little point in using your Mega slot for Aerodactyl when you could go with another beast like Aggron, Gengar, Blaziken, Kangaskhan, Mawile, etc.

I will agree that Kangaskhan is amazing though. That thing does so many things, it can wallbreak, clean, sweep, you name it.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
can you help me? good moveste, nature, ability, EV and IV for mega venussaur... I was thinking in somthing a bit defensive with sleep poweder and all anoying things...

I haven't used Mega Venusaur yet so this is all speculation, but I imagine a defensive double status set with something like Sleep Powder / Stun Spore (or Toxic) / Synthesis / Sludge Bomb would be halfway decent. I just think it would be a waste of a mega slot when there's other things that can do it just as well as he does.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
Truth is, I've been experimenting with Mega Ampharos (Please stop giving her Shampoo hair advertisements already! That's too much butt joking we've been giving to her.) for quite a while. I mean, find her fitting for a lightning queen murderer of sorts. I mean, geesh, that hair of hers is getting so uch attention. What's next? Clear Shampoo and Tresemme?

Even if Fairies are present to take her dragon moves, well, thanks to her monstrous 165 base Special attack (LIKE, HELLO?! THAT IS WWWAAAAAAAAAAYYY TOO MUUCH POWER!), she can use her electric attacks to just try and fry someone out with her godly electricity. That means even Azumarill will have to think twice on switching in.

But personally, I don't know which stat spread is better:

The Bulky Sweeper: 252 HP, some Sp. Attack (160?), and 90 Defense?

or

The Agility Sweeper: 252 p. Atk and Speed, 4 HP

Personally, both made her a bit clutched in a way. If it goes to the former, it seriously misses Leftovers. But the Latter has so little speed that even at +2 Speed, many things still outspeed her to One hit KO her on a 1vs1 turn battle.

And please, no more Lo'Real, Pantene, an Maybelline shampoo references to Mega Amphy if we can.

Last edited:

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Truth is, I've been experimenting with Mega Ampharos (Please stop giving her Shampoo hair advertisements already! That's too much butt joking we've been giving to her.) for quite a while. I mean, find her fitting for a lightning queen murderer of sorts. I mean, geesh, that hair of hers is getting so uch attention. What's next? Clear Shampoo and Tresemme?

Even if Fairies are present to take her dragon moves, well, thanks to her monstrous 165 base Special attack (LIKE, HELLO?! THAT IS WWWAAAAAAAAAAYYY TOO MUUCH POWER!), she can use her electric attacks to just try and fry someone out with her godly electricity. That means even Azumarill will have to think twice on switching in.

But personally, I don't know which stat spread is better:

The Bulky Sweeper: 252 HP, some Sp. Attack (160?), and 90 Defense?

or

The Agility Sweeper: 252 p. Atk and Speed, 4 HP

Personally, both made her a bit clutched in a way. If it goes to the former, it seriously misses Leftovers. But the Latter has so little speed that even at +2 Speed, many things still outspeed her to One hit KO her on a 1vs1 turn battle.

And please, no more Lo'Real, Pantene, an Maybelline shampoo references to Mega Amphy if we can.

I think Mega Ampharos's only plus side is that he'll probably stay in a lower tier. Otherwise he's just outclassed by so much.

fireice

I find Mega Alakazam extremely underrated.

I mean base 150 speed and 175 special attack would allow it to sweep unprepared teams quite easily.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
I think Mega Ampharos's only plus side is that he'll probably stay in a lower tier. Otherwise he's just outclassed by so much.

But I'm assuming what you meant is that it won't be on NU, yet not on OU. UU or Borderline are possible tiers that she can stay. Guess you see Amphy as Male while I see Amphy as Female, all to respectful views and opinions. Just... really, doess his hair really surprise you that shampoo Ampharos commercials are everywhere on Deviantart?

Back on topic, out of the four 5th Gen NU pokemon (Ampharos, Pinsir, Mawile, Kanghaskhan)that got a Mega Evo, from what I read on many competitive pokemon blogs, mega Amphy sadly almost made the cut in OU. Not sure about Mega Pinsir. But I see a niche in Mega Amphy in OU somewhere. I just forgot what that niche could be

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
But I'm assuming what you meant is that it won't be on NU, yet not on OU. UU or Borderline are possible tiers that she can stay. Guess you see Amphy as Male while I see Amphy as Female, all to respectful views and opinions. Just... really, doess his hair really surprise you that shampoo Ampharos commercials are everywhere on Deviantart?

Back on topic, out of the four 5th Gen NU pokemon (Ampharos, Pinsir, Mawile, Kanghaskhan)that got a Mega Evo, from what I read on many competitive pokemon blogs, mega Amphy sadly almost made the cut in OU. Not sure about Mega Pinsir. But I see a niche in Mega Amphy in OU somewhere. I just forgot what that niche could be

Sorry I refer to everything as "he" unless it distinctly strikes me as a feminine Pokemon, didn't mean anything by it.

And yeah, I anticipate UU is probably where Ampharos will end up. Mold Breaker Electric moves have their merit, but it's just not enough of a reason to use Ampharos over other more viable Megas.

NBP

I find Mega Alakazam extremely underrated.

I mean base 150 speed and 175 special attack would allow it to sweep unprepared teams quite easily.

Absolutely! It sweeps very prepared teams as well from what I've seen, except it seems to have its weaknesses to Mega Gengar and Kangaskhan (who have been mentioned already as unfairly incredible, And I have to agree there).

ModelT

The Normal Trainer
About Mega Alakazam, as well as Mega Mawile, the nice aspect of those two is their ability to switch in with their standard ability before Mega-Evolving into a diferent one. Alakazam can Magic Coat in and ignore all sorts of hazards/weather, and with his speed, be prepared to sweep. Mawile makes a pretty good switch into a powerful Attack based Pokemon and start to just kill things with Huge Power, some nice coverage, and Sucker Punch (I'm running an Impish Megawile with 252 EVs in Attack and Defence).

Though, I can't help a part of me being a bit disapointed. A lot of the Mega Evos could have been a true evolution to certain Pokémon. I know its a very common argument, but I can't help how I feel about it. Absol, Mawile, basically the basic stage Pokémon, and even Medicham maybe should have gotten full evolutions. I could see temporary evolution for stage 2 Pokémon, since I don't foresee them introducing a stage 3 any time soon.

I get why, at least Mawile, got Mega-Evolutions rather than a standard one. Azumaril being a beasty, tanky, OU sweeper, can you imagine having 2 pokemon practically identical to each other, both with great coverage but totally different ways to deal with them? They compliment each other so well, but Mawile is "weaker" because he can't use an item. I think the idea of some of the Megas is to change a pokemon entirely (Mawile, Absol, Pincer, Kangaskhan, Charizard X), or make it better at what it does (Gyrados, Charizard Y, Aggron, Tyranitar, Blaziken, Lucario).

Really, think of the MegaStones as one item that only effects certan Pokemon. You can only have one on your team, and using that item adds an element of strategy like any other item. It's just a fairly powerful item (Mega Aggron is a huge Jerk).

fireice

is Mega Gyarados really that good. Just looking at it losing a 4X weakness to Electric to become 2X seems to be its main pro as well as losing a 2X weakness to rock

to offset this it gains 2X weaknesses to bug, fairy, fighting and grass.

PGP.Ryuu

Quick question

for this set which is better to have assault vest or tyranite?

tyranitar + DD EQ Ice punch crunch

any one can suggest a good moveset for mega gyarados?? thanks

Last edited:
is Mega Gyarados really that good. Just looking at it losing a 4X weakness to Electric to become 2X seems to be its main pro as well as losing a 2X weakness to rock

to offset this it gains 2X weaknesses to bug, fairy, fighting and grass.

For the most, part, Mega Gyarados is outclassed by its normal form. The only real niche MegaDos has is hitting Rotom-W switchins with EQ. Those 2x weaknesses hurt a lot more than you think, especially that Fighting one. Part of what made Gyarados so great was its defensive typing, which is moot in Mega Form.

CircuitAngel

Quick question

for this set which is better to have assault vest or tyranite?

tyranitar + DD EQ Ice punch crunch

any one can suggest a good moveset for mega gyarados?? thanks
Megastone him if those are your two options, Assault Vest prevents you from using Dragon Dance.