• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen VI Mega Evolution Discussion Thread

ModelT

The Normal Trainer
For the most, part, Mega Gyarados is outclassed by its normal form. The only real niche MegaDos has is hitting Rotom-W switchins with EQ. Those 2x weaknesses hurt a lot more than you think, especially that Fighting one. Part of what made Gyarados so great was its defensive typing, which is moot in Mega Form.

Yeah... Sure he had a 4x weakness to Electric, but that and a 2x to rock, he was difficult to deal with, on top of his fairly beefy Sp. Def and AWESOME movepool. The trade into Dark w/ Mold Breaker lets him hit levitate Pokemon w/ Earthquake and some better stats... but a trade off he didn't need. I'd say he's better off with a Life Orb DD or Assault Vest set up on Moxie rather than going Mega. It IS nice that his defences are both above 100, but there are better slots to put that Mega Stone.

[EDIT] However, a strategy I hadn't considered before: Moxie and DD, attack like normal, and when they pull out their Electric user or something w/ Levitate, mega evolve... I always forget you don't have to Mega Evolve right away.

Last edited:

McDanger

Yeah... Sure he had a 4x weakness to Electric, but that and a 2x to rock, he was difficult to deal with, on top of his fairly beefy Sp. Def and AWESOME movepool. The trade into Dark w/ Mold Breaker lets him hit levitate Pokemon w/ Earthquake and some better stats... but a trade off he didn't need. I'd say he's better off with a Life Orb DD or Assault Vest set up on Moxie rather than going Mega. It IS nice that his defences are both above 100, but there are better slots to put that Mega Stone.

[EDIT] However, a strategy I hadn't considered before: Moxie and DD, attack like normal, and when they pull out their Electric user or something w/ Levitate, mega evolve... I always forget you don't have to Mega Evolve right away.

Tbh, intimidate is far better than moxie for mega gyarados as, like mawile, it creates chances to set up which is what mega gyarados really does, boost and sweep. I really wish it had gotten more speed so it had a more notable edge over gyarados. Mold breaker does make it more viable as it lets it beat dragonite without prior damage, and mega venusaur who actually walls normal gyarados, tho it can't take giga drain now it can hit it with ice fang, negating thick fat with mold breaker.

Zachmac

Competitively, the only mega evolution I've used so far is Manetric, and it makes a fantastic voltturner. Flamethrower really helps it set itself apart from Jolteon, scaring off Ferrothorn and helping it check Aegislash along with intimidate. Intimidate is also great for keeping offensive pressure, as it encourages even more swap outs it might not otherwise.

Since Rotom-W doesn't have a ground weakness, which is electrics only weakness, Manetric doesn't have too difficult of a time finding synergy in the Scizor/Rotom-W core. Granted, it doesn't carry any resistances they don't have besides electric, but it's fragile enough that it prefers to come in when a swap out is forced anyway.

ghost_dog97

the sweeper
Competitively, the only mega evolution I've used so far is Manetric, and it makes a fantastic voltturner. Flamethrower really helps it set itself apart from Jolteon, scaring off Ferrothorn and helping it check Aegislash along with intimidate. Intimidate is also great for keeping offensive pressure, as it encourages even more swap outs it might not otherwise.

Since Rotom-W doesn't have a ground weakness, which is electrics only weakness, Manetric doesn't have too difficult of a time finding synergy in the Scizor/Rotom-W core. Granted, it doesn't carry any resistances they don't have besides electric, but it's fragile enough that it prefers to come in when a swap out is forced anyway.

the three best megas ive used have to be the two sucker punchers and aerodactyl
not sure if I did the math right but a mega aerodactyl using fly would become a base power of 135
dual sucker punch from kang can take out the three OU megas (alakazam, gengar, mewtwo) he even has a power up punch with a makeshift swords dance added to it
one swords dance and sucker punch is all you need for mawile. it ohkos neutral targets and even the really frail targets that resist it

P.s. Zachmac, I love your sableye sig

CircuitAngel

Aerodactyl should never have Fly. It gives your opponent a free switch in or setup turn.

Sucker Punch from M-Kangashan is of course going to take out three (technically four) defensively weak Pokemon whom Sucker Punch is super effective against, that is a given.

ghost_dog97

the sweeper
hey man but fly isn't aerodactyls only flying type move... even acrobatics while holding an item will do decent damage (although aerial ace will be better with the aerodactyllite)
also, question, is rock slide or earthquake powered up by tough claws?

fireice

the three best megas ive used have to be the two sucker punchers and aerodactyl
not sure if I did the math right but a mega aerodactyl using fly would become a base power of 135
dual sucker punch from kang can take out the three OU megas (alakazam, gengar, mewtwo) he even has a power up punch with a makeshift swords dance added to it
one swords dance and sucker punch is all you need for mawile. it ohkos neutral targets and even the really frail targets that resist it

P.s. Zachmac, I love your sableye sig

Since Fly is a two turn move 135 base power from two turns is not that good really.

I mean Aerial Ace would be boosted to 78 power per turn.

fireice

hey man but fly isn't aerodactyls only flying type move... even acrobatics while holding an item will do decent damage (although aerial ace will be better with the aerodactyllite)

I feel earthquake isn't. I mean Aegislash does not cause attack lowering when hit by earthquake while in kings shield mode.

CircuitAngel

Fly not being his only Flying type move makes it worse.

Rock Slide and EQ are not contact moves, and are therefor not powered up by Tough Claws.

ghost_dog97

the sweeper
Fly not being his only Flying type move makes it worse.

Rock Slide and EQ are not contact moves, and are therefor not powered up by Tough Claws.

Damn it!!!
oh well, im better off not mega evolving aero but instead slap on a kings rock/razor fang to troll with high flinch chances by using rock slide

NotQuiteSane42

Professional Cynic
Damn it!!!
oh well, im better off not mega evolving aero but instead slap on a kings rock/razor fang to troll with high flinch chances by using rock slide

Just FYI, that doesn't work. Flinch items only work on moves that don't already have a flinch chance. Sorry to burst your bubble...

Anyway, I have a new question about megas--how will they affect monotype? I have two scenarios:

1) Ampharos on a mono-dragon team. With ampharosite, it can become a dragon. But it isn't a dragon in its own right. Is Ampharos with the mega stone legal on a mono-dragon team?

2) Gyarados on a mono-flying team. With gyaradosite, it loses its flying type, but it starts out as a flying-type. So is it legal to use Gyarados with the mega stone on a mono-flying team?

What do you all think? How will type-changing megas affect monotype?

KillerDraco

Just FYI, that doesn't work. Flinch items only work on moves that don't already have a flinch chance. Sorry to burst your bubble...

Anyway, I have a new question about megas--how will they affect monotype? I have two scenarios:

1) Ampharos on a mono-dragon team. With ampharosite, it can become a dragon. But it isn't a dragon in its own right. Is Ampharos with the mega stone legal on a mono-dragon team?

2) Gyarados on a mono-flying team. With gyaradosite, it loses its flying type, but it starts out as a flying-type. So is it legal to use Gyarados with the mega stone on a mono-flying team?

What do you all think? How will type-changing megas affect monotype?

Probably won't be allowed, IMO, simply because of the potential exploitation. Dragon type team? Ampharos gets an easy switch in to Fairy/Ice/Dragon type attacks due to not being a Dragon on the switch. But that's just my opinion. Time will tell if this holds true.

Edit: Though I guess this does kinda violate the ban speculation rule... Eh, I'll risk it, since the question is specifically about the legality of such things.

Last edited:

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
According to Smogon's rules, when using Mega Evolutions on a monotype team, the base form must be eligible for the team type (ie no Mega Charizard X on mono-Dragon), but the Mega Evolution doesn't have to be (ie Mega Gyarados is fine on mono-Flying).

ghost_dog97

the sweeper
hey guys, ive been sporting mega kangaskhan adamant, and I have to say... im impressed
dual powerup punch as a makeshift swords dance, dual return for a high base power move with STAB, dual earthquake to take care of those mega ampharoses, and dual sucker punch to handle the uber that everyone loves (mewtwo) including other megas (gengar, alakazam, etc.)

CircuitAngel

M-Kangaskhan doesn't get dual Earthquake, it is just one. Due to that there are some other options for that slot that can be more useful.

Eaglehawk

Banned
M-Kangaskhan doesn't get dual Earthquake, it is just one. Due to that there are some other options for that slot that can be more useful.

It gets 2 Earthquakes in Singles. It gets 1 Earthquake in Doubles. Sames goes for other multi-hit moves.

ghost_dog97

the sweeper
I never used kangaskhan in doubles... only in singles and triples so thanks for the info!

I never used kangaskhan in doubles... only in singles and triples so thanks for the info!

Earthquake would also be one-hit in triples as well to my knowledge. I think parental bond only hits once with spread moves in double/triple battkes regardless of the power. That's just what I think; I'm not too sure though.

CircuitAngel

Earthquake would also be one-hit in triples as well to my knowledge. I think parental bond only hits once with spread moves in double/triple battkes regardless of the power. That's just what I think; I'm not too sure though.

Fair enough - I have only used M-Kanga in Super Dbl Battles in the Maison, so I thought Parental Bond was limited to contact moves; the more you know!