• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen VI Mega Evolution Discussion Thread

KillerDraco

I'd imagine that that's mostly caused by Ubers players running Blaziken but choosing not to run Mega Gengar/Mewtwo _/Kangaskhan, and therefore just throwing Blazikenite onto Blaziken; it is only a modest improvement, yes, but if you weren't going to use a different Mega Evolution anyway, there isn't really much to lose by taking that modest improvement.

That's true I suppose. My general train of thought was not going Mega Blaziken frees up your mega slot for another, but I suppose there aren't too many Megas who are regularly seen in Ubers right now.

My main point was that Mega Blaziken is not the "godlike improvement" that he was mentioned as being a few posts prior. Honestly I'd go so far as to say Blaziken was probably one of the most unnecessary candidates for a Mega evolution... but eh, he got one regardless, so yay for him.

That's true I suppose. My general train of thought was not going Mega Blaziken frees up your mega slot for another, but I suppose there aren't too many Megas who are regularly seen in Ubers right now.

My main point was that Mega Blaziken is not the "godlike improvement" that he was mentioned as being a few posts prior. Honestly I'd go so far as to say Blaziken was probably one of the most unnecessary candidates for a Mega evolution... but eh, he got one regardless, so yay for him.

I never said he was godlike, but the improvement is noticable. The added bulk and no need for Life Orb increases his survivability more than youd think

Jolly Blaziken Attack with Life Orb attatched: 440.7 basically 441
Adamant Mega Blaziken Attack: 460

Mega Blaziken out damages Life Orb Jolly Blaziken. With the increased base speed and the room to run HP investment, there's really no reason to run a normal Blaziken. Ive been using Blaziken on my team since mid Gen 5, and the difference is very noticable.

Granted, its not the extreme improvement of Kanga or Gengar, but saying that its modest is a severe understatement.

The main downfall to Mewtwo X, like said before, is his movepool. none of his moves are overly strong, and if Im not mistaken, his only boosting ove is Bulk Up (please correct me if he gets Swords Dance)

My former statement still stands. The best MEgas to use in ubers, in this order are: Gengar, Blaziken, Kangaskhan, then Mewtwo Y

Last edited:

KillerDraco

I never said he was godlike

And I never said you did either ;)

So now that Mega Stones are becoming a scary factor, it is really true that previous pokemon have finally reached GODLIKE LEVELS!!!

Second: Mega Blaziken (Ubers last gen. Ubers for good. Too much speed!!!)

That aside, I still stand by the statement that the improvement is modest at best. They both fulfill the same role, and it's not like Mega Lucario who does the role so much better that there's no contest. There's no doubt that Mega Blaziken is better than Blaziken in the long run, but I'd go so far as to call it a diminishing return. Blaziken was already good at what it did, so the Mega just makes it slightly better.

But this is just nitpicking, and arguing how modest or not an improvement it is tends to be moot point in the long run. So moving on.

Though if Mega Lucario does end up getting banned, it'd be interesting to see who takes over as the new physical Mega of choice. Mega Charizard X will probably remain a popular choice with its pretty much perfect coverage (with Earthquake disposing of Heatran and at least hitting Azumarill neutrally). Maybe Mega Mawile too, due to its friggin' amazing attack and solid bulk, although its speed and reliance on Sucker Punch to hit faster threats can be a letdown at times.

When you said a few posts above, I assumed you meant me. My bad. (Still Mega Blaziken > Arceus, the true god)

Back on topic. Luke is getting banned. People dont realize that victory requires sacrifice, and that Scarfers faster than him can usually beat him. My vote goes to Mawile and Pinsir. These two are really good. Both have their setbacks, but once their counters are taken care of, they can demolish unprepared teams. (Funy how Cofagrigus completely neuters them) I have run into both of these guys on the ladder, and I find them quite hard to deal with. Pinsir, with Aerialate (SPelling?) is amazing. Sure Rocks neuter him, but he still hits hard with a ~135 BP STAB attack in Return. Mawiles Attack is insane, and Burns/ Cofagrigus are the only way to stop her, as sucker punch gets rid of would be revenge killers.

McDanger

This isnt for ban speculation and if it were to be compared to anything it should be a fire version of Kyoge

KillerDraco

Back on topic. Luke is getting banned. People dont realize that victory requires sacrifice, and that Scarfers faster than him can usually beat him. My vote goes to Mawile and Pinsir. These two are really good. Both have their setbacks, but once their counters are taken care of, they can demolish unprepared teams. (Funy how Cofagrigus completely neuters them) I have run into both of these guys on the ladder, and I find them quite hard to deal with. Pinsir, with Aerialate (SPelling?) is amazing. Sure Rocks neuter him, but he still hits hard with a ~135 BP STAB attack in Return. Mawiles Attack is insane, and Burns/ Cofagrigus are the only way to stop her, as sucker punch gets rid of would be revenge killers.

Mega Pinsir I feel has enough to both make him a top tier threat and still keep himself in check.

On the positive side, aside from the obvious stat boosts, Flying's actually got pretty good coverage, given only Steel, Rock, and Electric resist it, all of which are handled by Earthquake. Aerilate takes full advantage of it too, turning Return into an absurdly powerful no-drawback attack, while Quick Attack becomes a fantastic priority move. A combination of Swords Dance, X-Scissor, Earthquake, and Return is hard to switch into, and even things that resist both STABs and are immune to Earthquake (like Thundurus or Aerodactyl) tend to be frail enough that they don't want to be eating SD-boosted attacks. It's also got no problems demolishing Mega Venusaur, who's undoubtedly the best defensive Mega.

On the negative side, everyone knows how truly flawed Bug/Flying typing can be. The 4x weakness to (Stealth) Rock is obvious, but additional weaknesses to Fire, Electric, Ice, and Flying make it equally hard to switch in. If it's not carrying Quick Attack faster foes can revenge it pretty easily, and the mere presence of Talonflame is enough to threaten it out.

But, if Talonflame has been removed, and Stealth Rock's off the field, Mega Pinsir will certainly have a fun time. I wouldn't say it's "neutered" by Cofagrigus the same way Mega Mawile is, though. Mega Pinsir might be inconvenienced by losing Aerilate, but it's still got a solid base attack, especially with SD backing it up.

It's about time Game Freak gave some love to the forgotten bug after Scizor and Heracross overshadowed it for years.

Champion Silver

Mega Pinsir I feel has enough to both make him a top tier threat and still keep himself in check.

On the positive side, aside from the obvious stat boosts, Flying's actually got pretty good coverage, given only Steel, Rock, and Electric resist it, all of which are handled by Earthquake. Aerilate takes full advantage of it too, turning Return into an absurdly powerful no-drawback attack, while Quick Attack becomes a fantastic priority move. A combination of Swords Dance, X-Scissor, Earthquake, and Return is hard to switch into, and even things that resist both STABs and are immune to Earthquake (like Thundurus or Aerodactyl) tend to be frail enough that they don't want to be eating SD-boosted attacks. It's also got no problems demolishing Mega Venusaur, who's undoubtedly the best defensive Mega.

On the negative side, everyone knows how truly flawed Bug/Flying typing can be. The 4x weakness to (Stealth) Rock is obvious, but additional weaknesses to Fire, Electric, Ice, and Flying make it equally hard to switch in. If it's not carrying Quick Attack faster foes can revenge it pretty easily, and the mere presence of Talonflame is enough to threaten it out.

But, if Talonflame has been removed, and Stealth Rock's off the field, Mega Pinsir will certainly have a fun time. I wouldn't say it's "neutered" by Cofagrigus the same way Mega Mawile is, though. Mega Pinsir might be inconvenienced by losing Aerilate, but it's still got a solid base attack, especially with SD backing it up.

It's about time Game Freak gave some love to the forgotten bug after Scizor and Heracross overshadowed it for years.

Yeah I'm quite happy Pinsir was given some nice treatment with a mega evolution. Also, I didn't even consider initially the type shift with aerilate, just the 30% power boost. Does that stack with STAB if you use a move like return? Or does STAB only apply to moves that are the pokemon's type before any abilities?

I think each of the mega evolutions seems to serve a positive purpose for each pokemon, even if it changes its stats/strategy around a bit. The only one I'm not sure of is Abomasnow, as it loses a ton of its speed (granted it does not have great speed to begin with) in exchange for both regular and sp. defenses and both regular and sp. attacks. That's nice and all, but I fear the ice/grass combination gives Abomasnow so many weaknesses, coupled with its only average health, does not do the pokemon a whole lot of good. Granted, I never used abomasnow before, so much of what I said is speculation. Perhaps it could do well on a trick room team.

Debury

Mega Pinsir is strong but not OP. As with most teams it is what you put in place to take this thing on. I do know that if you don't prepare for the likes of Mega Pinsir, Lucario, Medicham and others then they will pick your team off pretty sharply

Sutittaja

Lightning zebra
How many people like mega Aerodactyl? I think it's great, but not many player use it... Is there something wrong with Mega Aerodactyl?

Mega Heracross looks ugly for me. It's looking like it wearing panties or diapers. Never used it, though.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
The problem with Aerodactyl is that Tough Claws isn't very useful for it. It's most common moves aren't boosted by it, and the moves that are boosted are rather weak otherwise, like Wing Attack and Aerial Ace. It's one of the situations where you're better off using a Life Orb, since it generally outdamages the Mega, and frees the Mega slot for something else.

Also, Mega Heracross looks okay. Its appearance is based off of real stag beetles, like this Hercules Beetle, which is likely what the motivation for the design came from. Hence the monstrous 185 base attack stat likely referencing the Hercules Beetle's namesake. That said, Mega Heracross looks like fun. Arm Thrust make only be as strong as Brick Break, but Pin Missile, Rock Blast and Bullet Seed all look like fun additions to play around with. I need to try one out myself, actually.

McDanger

The problem with Aerodactyl is that Tough Claws isn't very useful for it. It's most common moves aren't boosted by it, and the moves that are boosted are rather weak otherwise, like Wing Attack and Aerial Ace. It's one of the situations where you're better off using a Life Orb, since it generally outdamages the Mega, and frees the Mega slot for something else.

Also, Mega Heracross looks okay. Its appearance is based off of real stag beetles, like this Hercules Beetle, which is likely what the motivation for the design came from. Hence the monstrous 185 base attack stat likely referencing the Hercules Beetle's namesake. That said, Mega Heracross looks like fun. Arm Thrust make only be as strong as Brick Break, but Pin Missile, Rock Blast and Bullet Seed all look like fun additions to play around with. I need to try one out myself, actually.

Arm thrust comes in at 102.5 base power with stab, making Close Combat better. Mega Heracross is a cool mega, but its often to slow to effectively sweep making it a wall breaker

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Arm thrust comes in at 102.5 base power with stab, making Close Combat better. Mega Heracross is a cool mega, but its often to slow to effectively sweep making it a wall breaker

I thought it was 112.5 (75 x 1.5) base power with STAB? Either way, yeah, Close Combat is definitely better. Mega Heracross may not be the best Mega around, but it definitely looks like fun to try, especially with Sticky Web.

I feel like mega manectric is an underrated threat. It's fast, and it has intimidate. I come across them from time to time, and I can tell you the they are very strong. Between intimidate and his speed, as well as access to Flamethower, he is easily able to take on many threats. The one thing the stops him from being a top tier threat I feel is his above average at best special attack. Thee are some non metas that are on par, and it's really not all that impressive tbh.

KillerDraco

I feel like mega manectric is an underrated threat. It's fast, and it has intimidate. I come across them from time to time, and I can tell you the they are very strong. Between intimidate and his speed, as well as access to Flamethower, he is easily able to take on many threats. The one thing the stops him from being a top tier threat I feel is his above average at best special attack. Thee are some non metas that are on par, and it's really not all that impressive tbh.

Its bulk isn't doing it any favors either. 70/80/80 defenses are a bit on the frail side, even though it does resist the common Bullet Punches and Brave Birds, and have intimidate to buffer said physical threats, it lacks many other notable resistances, making it harder to switch in. Still though, it could make a decent Pivot with access to Volt Turn and Intimidate, much like Landorus-T. The aforementioned lack of resistances and bulk does sort of hinder it in this role, especially given it doesn't have any immunities (except to Thunder Wave? Hah) to help it switch in.

A niche Mega for sure, and one who certainly isn't going to be sweeping teams all by itself.

Its bulk isn't doing it any favors either. 70/80/80 defenses are a bit on the frail side, even though it does resist the common Bullet Punches and Brave Birds, and have intimidate to buffer said physical threats, it lacks many other notable resistances, making it harder to switch in. Still though, it could make a decent Pivot with access to Volt Turn and Intimidate, much like Landorus-T. The aforementioned lack of resistances and bulk does sort of hinder it in this role, especially given it doesn't have any immunities (except to Thunder Wave? Hah) to help it switch in.

A niche Mega for sure, and one who certainly isn't going to be sweeping teams all by itself.

Thats kind of what I said. Its stats arent that great, and its basically a niche filler. Not something that every team has to prepare for, but something that can destroy unprepared teams.

KillerDraco

Thats kind of what I said. Its stats arent that great, and its basically a niche filler. Not something that every team has to prepare for, but something that can destroy unprepared teams.

I was agreeing and adding to your post for general emphasis. Not specifically aimed towards you or anything. After all we're just promoting discussion for the sake of resources.

Though I've been having mixed feelings about Mega Abomasnow. It's still got truly terrible typing, and horrid speed, but... improved bulk and solid mixed attacking stats. It's also got a great movepool with solid physical and special options. And of course there's the inherent issue of hail being something that most Pokemon, friend or foe, don't particularly appreciate.

A mixed bag for sure.

Abomasnow could maybe work as a bulky attacker. Maybe. Personally, I think its only real use would be in trick room, but since thats so uncommon these days I wouldnt necessarily consider it a threat. Plus its 4x weak to fire, which is one of the best offensive types in the game.

Same goes for Mega Ampharos. Sure hes bulky, but hes really too slow to do anything in OU.

McDanger

Mega Abomasnow is actually quite good, not always worth a mega slot but fun. Its really good at pressuring stall teams like aegislash except it can take a hit. With its immense coverage, mega Abomasnow doesn't need to be fast as nothing can switch in safe, talonflame and charizard get gobbled by rock slide, heatran dies from earthquake, blizzard wrecks grasses and dragons, and seed bomb smashes grounds, rocks, and waters. I dont think mega snow would work good as a mixed attacker like everyone theorymons as even tho its got stellar offensive stats, its not enough to score multiple ohkoes as well as its lack of item, making it basically like aegislash with worse typing and weather if anything.

Champion Silver

Mega Abomasnow is actually quite good, not always worth a mega slot but fun. Its really good at pressuring stall teams like aegislash except it can take a hit. With its immense coverage, mega Abomasnow doesn't need to be fast as nothing can switch in safe, talonflame and charizard get gobbled by rock slide, heatran dies from earthquake, blizzard wrecks grasses and dragons, and seed bomb smashes grounds, rocks, and waters. I dont think mega snow would work good as a mixed attacker like everyone theorymons as even tho its got stellar offensive stats, its not enough to score multiple ohkoes as well as its lack of item, making it basically like aegislash with worse typing and weather if anything.

Based on its varied movepool, I could see mega abomasnow being like Pinsir in the fact its kind of a "surprise threat", something that could potentially be killed easily or could inversely be a big nuisance if the opponent is caught unaware.