• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen VI Mega Evolution Discussion Thread

KillerDraco

My biggest problem with (Mega) Abomasnow is that it's a two way street. Its movepool makes it extremely difficult to switch into, but at the same time, its terrible typing affords it very few opportunities to switch in itself. Its decent bulk may help it survive some attacks, but it's not too difficult to 2HKO given its rather abundant and common weaknesses. Still though, its coverage is great, no one can deny that, and its got just enough power and bulk to abuse it.

I can see it being fun though. Just not my cup of tea.

Eaglehawk

Banned
My biggest problem with (Mega) Abomasnow is that it's a two way street. Its movepool makes it extremely difficult to switch into, but at the same time, its terrible typing affords it very few opportunities to switch in itself. Its decent bulk may help it survive some attacks, but it's not too difficult to 2HKO given its rather abundant and common weaknesses. Still though, its coverage is great, no one can deny that, and its got just enough power and bulk to abuse it.

I can see it being fun though. Just not my cup of tea.

Abomasnow already has some pretty good resistances to Water, Elec, and Ground, so it gives him plenty of switch-ins in the lower tiers. Furthermore, 252 HP / 252 (Sp) Att / 4 (Sp) Def affords it enough bulk to take a hit and KO back. It's a really nice check to Rotom-W. Wood Hammer 2HKOs (or OHKO idr) and Rotom-W wouldn't want to run the risk of getting KO'd for a burn on a mixed sweeper.

Is this thread considered a month old? Sorry if it is.

Anyways, lately, Ive noticed more and more teams dont even utilize a mega. Im not trying to say that theyre falling out of favor by any means, but now that the hype has died down, I dont think theyre as common as they used to be.

I think it's become more clear which ones stand out and which ones do not. So yeah I guess the hype has died down and the whole testing phase or whatever you want to call it is over.

Ryuken

Steel User
Is this thread considered a month old? Sorry if it is.

Anyways, lately, Ive noticed more and more teams dont even utilize a mega. Im not trying to say that they are falling out of favor by any means, but now that the hype has died down, I dont think theyre as common as they used to be.

Most good mega pokemon were banned, and since the others just don't cut it (Except for Char and Pinsir) they start fading away.
But i see them quite often in UU, where they perform quite nicely.

KillerDraco

Most good mega pokemon were banned, and since the others just don't cut it (Except for Char and Pinsir) they start fading away.
But i see them quite often in UU, where they perform quite nicely.

I wouldn't limit it to just those two (or three if you wanna get technical, damn Charizard), but I digress. A lot of Megas end up being niche variants over their normal forms; Mega TTar utilizes DD better, Mega Scizor pulls off Defog or SD with more success, etc. So if people don't necessarily need them to perform that niche, they don't get used. The aforementioned TTar and Scizor examples function effectively, albeit differently, without the need to Mega Evolve, so it can add some bluff value if people expect one set, but find themselves facing another.

How is Mega Gardevoir viewed competitively? It's become my favourite go to pokemon, with almost perfect coverage and a killer move in Hyper Voice.

Mega Gardevoir is a pretty solid Pokemon in its own right. Its biggest flaw is its low physical bulk, but other than that, it has a lot going for it. Its special bulk is pretty spectacular, a little better than an equally invested Mew. This makes it a pretty nice check to stuff like Life Orb Latios, provided you toss a few EVs into Def to prevent Psyshock from 2HKOing. Fairy typing is just fantastic since it removes its former Bug and Dark weaknesses, makes it even more resistant to Fighting attacks, and gives it that infamous Dragon immunity. It's pretty great on the offense, too. Pixilate Hyper Voices coming off a base 165 SpA puts huge holes into pretty much anything that doesn't resist it or isn't ridiculously specially bulky; even specially defensive Rotom-W is cleanly 2HKOed with no prior damage whatsoever. Its support movepool gives it a lot of options as well, whether it be Will-O-Wisp, Taunt, Destiny Bond, and Healing Wish.

The main problem with Mega Gardevoir isn't so much its own flaws, more the opportunity cost that comes with using it. When you're using Mega Gardevoir, you're usually going to want to use it as a wallbreaker since defensive sets are generally overshadowed by Sylveon and Clefable. However, there are already several other Mega forms in OU that are capable of punching holes in teams, such as Mega Charizard Y and Mega Pinsir, which give Mega Gardevoir a lot of competition. When you use Mega Gardevoir, you're giving up the chance to use one of these other powerful Mega forms, so that's where the opportunity cost comes in. However, it's perfectly capable of pulling its weight plus some. Heck, it was even banned from UU Beta because it's just that powerful.

On PO's XY UU Mega Garde is still free and does extremely well without competition from Sylveon (Just went OU) and Clef. Like you said it's very powerful. Just with Psyshock/Shadow Ball/Hyper Voice/Calm Mind or Sub it threatens a ton of Mons and breaks through Chansey+Slowbro with no problems (Chansey just went OU also). With the steel nerf this gen, I'm not even sure it has any surefire checks in PO's UU (lol rachi and metagross) I mean Mega Garde is hard to switch into even without +1 in some cases because of its amazing coverage. It pretty much just comes down to some mean predicting or revenge killing tbh. It's only getting better with Sylv, Chansey, and (possibly) Mega Medicham going OU.

On PO's XY UU Mega Garde is still free and does extremely well without competition from Sylveon (Just went OU) and Clef. Like you said it's very powerful. Just with Psyshock/Shadow Ball/Hyper Voice/Calm Mind or Sub it threatens a ton of Mons and breaks through Chansey+Slowbro with no problems (Chansey just went OU also). With the steel nerf this gen, I'm not even sure it has any surefire checks in PO's UU (lol rachi and metagross) I mean Mega Garde is hard to switch into even without +1 in some cases because of its amazing coverage. It pretty much just comes down to some mean predicting or revenge killing tbh. It's only getting better with Sylv, Chansey, and (possibly) Mega Medicham going OU.

Metagross is still able to KO mega Gardevoir...

252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 152-180 (41.7 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 474-558 (170.5 - 200.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

He can safely switch in and KO with Meteor Mash (not counting hax, of course)

Bullet Punch is still a 2HKO anyways, so if Gardevoir has less than 75% HP, shes toast.

If Garde is already at +1 Meta loses unless you are going for the revenge kill.

+1 252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 226-268 (62 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Point I was making is that if Steel still resisted Ghost there would be no question about its validity as a solid check. But yeah I get what you are saying.

Last edited:

KillerDraco

Would Choice Specs Latios be better or the Mega?

Specs is a better wall-breaker with the immediate power of Spec'd Draco Meteors, while Mega utilizes Calm Mind better, can do a better mixed set with a respectable base 130 attack in addition to its fantastic base 160 SpA, and handles Defog better with its better bulk.

Although should we really be discussing things that aren't yet released? IDK, I'm legitimately asking.

jynx4Ever

I think jynx should get an new evolution /mega becuase shes in need of one, I want her to take a hit and still do some damage plus thats the reason why I got the game since she was on the list for getting a mega.

Ultimate Champion

The Great Pokémon Master
009.gif

Blastoise (M) @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Haze
- Rapid Spin
- Scald

A Mega Blastoise moveset I have used extensively to great success in both OU as well as on PokeBattle under its PBV system, serving as an awesome Rapid Spinner thanks to its ability to beat many common Stealth Rock users including Heatran, Excadrill, Donphan, Hippowdon, Landorus-T, Garchomp and Tyranitar, as well as its ability to serve as a very decent general check to Dragon-type Pokémon. Haze also grants the user the ability to easily beat Baton Pass teams, which can otherwise be exceedingly dangerous in the OU metagame.

Champion Silver

I'm curious, has anyone given Mega Scizor a shot yet? Despite the fact you cannot use anything like, choice specs or leftovers on it anymore, the boasted stats, especially special defense, seem like it could be quite the powerhouse, potentially

Ace_Of_Shadows

Edgy edgelord name
I'm curious, has anyone given Mega Scizor a shot yet? Despite the fact you cannot use anything like, choice specs or leftovers on it anymore, the boasted stats, especially special defense, seem like it could be quite the powerhouse, potentially

I've seen more Mega Scizor than it's base counterpart. I personally haven't used it, but it's added bulk is useful. Mainly used for Defog support I believe, along with U- Turn, Bullet Punch and either Roost, Swords Dance or Knock Off. It mainly uses Roost or Knock Off though, or if it does have SD I don't see it that much (not sure if anyone else has?). I prefer Banded Scizor, but that's just me (stronger U- Turn).

My team is focused around Mega Mawile (for OU at least) and I can safely say it wrecks teams. Most teams carry Latias/Latios or other Dragons locked into Dragon attacks, which makes it relatively easy to set up. Intimidate was a blessing as well, meaning that Mawile and it's Mega counterpart have some breathing space when initially facing Physical attackers when it Mega Evolves. The amount of Mega Charizards that have tried to check me at +2 and then been 0HKOed by Sucker Punch is surprising:

+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 508-598 (170.4 - 200.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 404-476 (135.5 - 159.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Even when burned I can always rely on Mawile to break walls, set up and attack or revenge something with Sucker Punch. What an amazing Pokemon.

My question: How good is Mega Ampharos in UU? I'd imagine Electric/Dragon typing is a godsend, along with fantastic bulk and Mold Breaker. But the amount of bulky Ground types and powerful Dragon/Ice/Fairy types out there along with Ampharos's slow Speed means it often has to fight for it's place on a team. Is it any good in UU? Also, has anyone used Mega Medicham much? Pure Power STAB High Jump Kicks off of 328 Attack when fully invested (Adamant) or 299 Attack when invested (Jolly) doubled via Pure Power is terrifying, if dulled out with the amount of Ghost types (Aegislash mainly) in OU.

Last edited:

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod

Mega Scizor is a very effective Mega. Scizorite is actually the most used item for Scizor these days on Showdown, being used on 49.121% of all Scizor in April for OU, and that has a lot to do with its versatility. The idea is it make use of its added bulk, allowing Mega Scizor to run bulky Swords Dance and a utility set better than regular Scizor can. Of course, regular Scizor can still run some of the sets that Mega Scizor can if another Mega is used, but that's besides the point.

I personally use Mega Scizor a lot. I like using a specially defensive utility set with Bullet Punch/Roost/U-turn/Defog, running Adamant with 248 HP/44 Att/216 SpDef. Really effective Defog user, and the added bulk with Roost really helps with his survivability. Bullet Punch and U-turn still deal a decent amount of damage as well.

Rio!

Composer
My question: How good is Mega Ampharos in UU? I'd imagine Electric/Dragon typing is a godsend, along with fantastic bulk and Mold Breaker. But the amount of bulky Ground types and powerful Dragon/Ice/Fairy types out there along with Ampharos's slow Speed means it often has to fight for it's place on a team. Is it any good in UU?

I'd personally use him on a Trick Room team since he's already pretty slow to start with, but then loses a few more speed points upon Mega-evolving. Good thing too is, his defenses go up as well. This gives you something else to invest EVs into (bulk) rather than concerning yourself with speed.

Last edited:

Why you would ever use Specs on Scizor astounds me. Sounds like a gimmick that I need to make a team around.

But Mega Scizor is a great Defogger with that insane bulk of his.