• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen VI Mega Evolution Discussion Thread

Nesquik3D

<-- Want a DWF
So far, Mega Kangaskhan has been the strongest mega I have used. I've tried out Aerodactyl, Houndoom, Kangaskhan, Charizard X and Y, Heracross, and Scizor.
Aerodactyl has been good but not the best choice for a mega, Houndoom wasn't that great, Kangaskhan was fantastic, both Charizards were great, and Scizor was regular Scizor but better.

However, I haven't seen any discussion on one of the ones I have tried, Heracross. While he sports relatively good bulk with 80/115/105 defenses, he also has an absolutely massive attack stat, which sits at an amazing 185. Skill Link, at first, seemed useless, but then I realized that Arm Thrust and Rock Blast were added to his movepool. Pin Missile is much more reliable than Megahorn, Arm Thrust outclasses Close Combat since you don't have that defense drop, and Rock Blast helps deal with flying types. I've been using a Bulk Up set on him, and it's worked wonders. Anyone else have any thoughts on Mega Heracross?

KillerDraco

Mega Heracross may have power to spare, and laughs at Sturdy/Focus Sash/Substitute, but he actually loses Speed on the Mega Evolution, which reduces him to a Wall-Breaking role as he's too slow to sweep. It's very easy to check Mega Heracross since Talonflame and Aegislash, the two most used Pokemon in the current Metagame, are literally everywhere, and can threaten it immensely (Talonflame's priority Brave Bird revenges Mega Heracross in a heartbeat, as well). Mega Heracross is also very susceptible to status, unlike its non-Mega cousin who people won't dare Will-o-Wisp unless they know it's got Moxie.

That said, its Attack is still absolutely absurd, being second only to Mega Mewtwo X and surpassing even Deoxys-A. It's one of those things that could really use a lot of team support, since it'd benefit from paralysis support, or just batter everything in sight since not much can switch into it, paving the way for another Pokemon to sweep.

Nesquik3D

<-- Want a DWF
Mega Heracross may have power to spare, and laughs at Sturdy/Focus Sash/Substitute, but he actually loses Speed on the Mega Evolution, which reduces him to a Wall-Breaking role as he's too slow to sweep. It's very easy to check Mega Heracross since Talonflame and Aegislash, the two most used Pokemon in the current Metagame, are literally everywhere, and can threaten it immensely (Talonflame's priority Brave Bird revenges Mega Heracross in a heartbeat, as well). Mega Heracross is also very susceptible to status, unlike its non-Mega cousin who people won't dare Will-o-Wisp unless they know it's got Moxie.

That said, its Attack is still absolutely absurd, being second only to Mega Mewtwo X and surpassing even Deoxys-A. It's one of those things that could really use a lot of team support, since it'd benefit from paralysis support, or just batter everything in sight since not much can switch into it, paving the way for another Pokemon to sweep.

I pretty much agree with this, while that power is the most ridiculous thing ever, it's a shame how Heracross is pretty much only a Wall Breaker. However, in my experiences, he does get this job done very well.

SwampertSwag

Well, I have to say the two Mega evo's I am in love with at this point are Mega Aerodactyl and Mega Kangaskhan. My only sour thought on Mega Dactyl is how difficult it can be to make good use of his ability. To give him proper coverage, there are only two moves in the pool I've got for mine that actually 'make contact'. But, he makes a good anti Dragon team member with a higher damage Ice Fang.

Mega Khan is by far one of the more 'OP' I feel. I use her often enough, but the hitting twice and gaining effects of attacks twice is pretty nuts. Power Up punch, though weak, is a damaging Sword's Dance. Dizzy Punch becomes a pretty decent STAB attack with two chances to confuse your opponent. I feel her potential is really untapped at this point. I think she will continue to be my most used Mega at this point.

As for the mechanic itself, I feel its...interesting, to say the least. I know loads of people have compared the concept to 'Digimon' with their 'Divigolution' (Evolution that lasts only for brief periods of time, though enchances stats drastically, and provides stronger attacks). I won't be so vain as to say I was one of those people at first. But when I fist turned Lucario Mega during the storyline, I pretty much felt a childlike glee. The sound effects and visuals when it happens look and feel so good. Their new cry giving me tingles of excitement.

I honestly don't know how it will change the game overall. Its sort of a 'last ditch effort' kind of idea, where you forgoe the usual battle item in order to gain a boost of power which may, or may not, ruin your team (depending on type changes, if applicable). I do like its restricted to one Mega evo per battle. And I really love how it doesn't wear off if you switch out, so you don't basically 'waste' it if you have to change out for type advantage.

Though, I can't help a part of me being a bit disapointed. A lot of the Mega Evos could have been a true evolution to certain Pokémon. I know its a very common argument, but I can't help how I feel about it. Absol, Mawile, basically the basic stage Pokémon, and even Medicham maybe should have gotten full evolutions. I could see temporary evolution for stage 2 Pokémon, since I don't foresee them introducing a stage 3 any time soon.

But, those be my thoughts!

Aerodactyl has been my main pokemon throughout Pokemon Y. In my experiences 4-Way battling my friends, Mega Aerodactyl has been pretty much my main weapon. I recently changed one of these moves, but my Mega-Dactyl's moveset was all physical moves: Iron Head, Crunch, Fly, Rock Slide. I have had a lot of success with Mega-Dactyl in general, his all physicals moveset has capitalized on his Tough Claws ability by giving his attacks an extra sting, and personally, my Dactyl has High speed EVs, and Aerodactyl already has naturally high speed, so I would typically get first move on all my friends, allowing me to dodge attacks with Fly or hit two pokemon with Rock Slide. I recently changed Crunch to Flamethrower because I want to be more effective on Steel types.

This is my first experience with Aerodactyl and this is the only moveset I've really known him to have. You said you used Mega Aerodactyl? I would be interested to know what moveset you used if you had trouble utilizing his ability?

KillerDraco

This is my first experience with Aerodactyl and this is the only moveset I've really known him to have. You said you used Mega Aerodactyl? I would be interested to know what moveset you used if you had trouble utilizing his ability?

The issue is that Tough Claws only boosts moves that make contact; not all physical moves do this. Common examples of physical moves that don't make contact are Earthquake, and Rock Slide/Stone Edge, both of which are Aerodactyl's main coverage move. It also lacks a good flying move that makes contact (as fly sucks against other players and is only good in-game). It would've killed to get Acrobatics or Brave Bird. As it stands Aerodactyl's best moves (in terms of coverage) are not boosted, so it's a really subpar Mega. It doesn't help that it's very easily revenge killed by the likes of Scizor/Azumarill/etc.

Long story short Aerodactyl is probably one of the most unimpressive Megas competitively and struggles to earn a spot as the sole Mega on a team.

I've been toying with a Mega Banette, simply because I think it looks pretty cool. The most fun set I've made is sleep talker - sleep talk gets priority with prankster! Its fairly uncommon to see one on wifi, so I can scrape an advantage off of opponents that get confused when a mega immediately uses rest... All in all, it's a pretty underwhelming mega even though it has that impressive attack stat, which bums me out. Running sleep talk makes it too unpredictable for the user, and its definitely a waste of a mega slot.

novalotus

I'm just starting to get into the competitive aspects of this game but I am already starting to love mega-blastoise on my team. Mega launcher seems like a really underused ability right now, especially since blastoise can become pretty tanky. The current moveset I run on mine is water, dragon, and dark pulse for coverage and yawn to try and force switches. It still runs into trouble with things like manectric, but it has seriously survived way more bad match-ups than I care to count. Just wondering if maybe there's anybody else finding success with him or if I am just an anomaly with an awful idea. Any criticism on how to better use him would be cool too.

Champion Silver

Competitively, the only mega evolution I've used so far is Manetric, and it makes a fantastic voltturner. Flamethrower really helps it set itself apart from Jolteon, scaring off Ferrothorn and helping it check Aegislash along with intimidate. Intimidate is also great for keeping offensive pressure, as it encourages even more swap outs it might not otherwise.

While I haven't tried mega manetric yet, looking at its stats and movepool I was wondering the same thing.

Mega Charizard X is the only real mega I've tried so far in extent, and, while not as fast as some other dragons, its added bulk in physical defense and having a neutral weakness to fairy-types has come in handy numerous times, allowing it live long enough to take out tougher opponents. However, often I've had to be weary about Mega-evolving due to opponents carrying something with earthquake.

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
Sorry, I have not been up to date when it comes to competitive Pokémon lately...

I was wondering whether Mega-Luke had been pushed into Ubers, and if Mega-Alakazam had been too?

Thanks!

Mega Lucario and Mega Alakazam have not been pushed to Ubers yet. Mega Lucario, however, is a serious prospect. Mega Alakazam is actually not as common anymore.

KillerDraco

Mega Alakazam is actually not as common anymore.

Which isn't really that surprising when you think about it. Yeah, it's blazing fast, has a lot of inherent power, and trace is always interesting, but it's still frail as anything and its typing does it no favors. Trace may have a lot of useful situations but without Magic Guard, it has to worry about entry hazards more along with the ever annoying sand/hail and status damage. Plus, since it can't carry any other item, it doesn't actually hit as hard as Life Orb variants of Alakazam (which it can abuse the hell out of due to Magic Guard).

As opposed to Mega Lucario who can do everything regular Lucario can, except better. Frighteningly better too, considering its combination of fierce attacking stats, solid speed, Adaptability, perfect neutral coverage, priority, and multiple boosting options. Good ol' Mega Luke, tip-toeing the line between OU and Uber.

Champion Silver

I'm curious if anyone has given mega pinsir a shot. With his great new ability and boosted stats (especially speed), I feel like there's some good potential there. Only thing I could really see being an issue is still having a fire weakness while also gaining an ice and electric weakness alongside a 4x weakness to rock. Still, with the right setup I could see mega pinsir wrecking havoc.

As opposed to Mega Lucario who can do everything regular Lucario can, except better. Frighteningly better too, considering its combination of fierce attacking stats, solid speed, Adaptability, perfect neutral coverage, priority, and multiple boosting options. Good ol' Mega Luke, tip-toeing the line between OU and Uber.

I saw talk on Smogon about him possibly being Suspected/quick banned pretty soon. Ever since Kangaskhan and Gengar got banned, his usage went up significantly. Adaptability Close Combat is nothing to laugh about, especially at +2

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
So now that Mega Stones are becoming a scary factor, it is really true that previous pokemon have finally reached GODLIKE LEVELS!!!

First: Mewtwo X and Y (now his base stats has even surpassed Arceus. Holy mother******* crap!! That is scary!)
Second: Mega Blaziken (Ubers last gen. Ubers for good. Too much speed!!!)
Third: Mega Gengar (With Shadow Tag, that is is just unstoppable for only mega Mawile could go head to head with it. Get the **** out!)
Fourth: Mega Genghis -erm I mean Kangaskhan (With this Motherly Mongol Ruler Zerg Rushing OU with her powered up son/daughter, Everyone gets no mercy from big mama's wrath. Calling her NU again is just asking to get killed by the real life Khan's virtual counterpart.)

If Mega Lucario goes up, I think his movie title (The Lucario and the Mystery of Mew misinterpretation) would be finally worthy of the status: Legendary.

If Mega Lucario goes up, I think his movie title (The Lucario and the Mystery of Mew misinterpretation) would be finally worthy of the status: Legendary.

There has been talk on Smogon about him and Genesect becoming Suspects.

I also agree with Lucario becoming legendary.

If Luke goes bye-bye, Id expect to see a rise in usage of both Mega Pinsir and Mega Mawile.

Mewtwo_soul

Servant of Mewtwo #1
So now that Mega Stones are becoming a scary factor, it is really true that previous pokemon have finally reached GODLIKE LEVELS!!!

First: Mewtwo X and Y (now his base stats has even surpassed Arceus. Holy mother******* crap!! That is scary!)
Second: Mega Blaziken (Ubers last gen. Ubers for good. Too much speed!!!)
Third: Mega Gengar (With Shadow Tag, that is is just unstoppable for only mega Mawile could go head to head with it. Get the **** out!)
Fourth: Mega Genghis -erm I mean Kangaskhan (With this Motherly Mongol Ruler Zerg Rushing OU with her powered up son/daughter, Everyone gets no mercy from big mama's wrath. Calling her NU again is just asking to get killed by the real life Khan's virtual counterpart.)

Quite frankly the stat boost on Mewtwo from Y and X aren't really that big of a deal, considering Y is still fragile and LO/etc. variants do more damage by a few points anyway. (Sure with Y you get no recoil but Mewtwo's probably going to be taken out by priority anyway) X certainly is slightly more intimidating thanks to not being easily stomped by common ES antics, or priorty (for the most part) however it has its own problems.

Either way Mewtwo isn't that greatly ridiculous with the increase. (at least not as much as people make it out to be.)

Quite frankly the stat boost on Mewtwo from Y and X aren't really that big of a deal, considering Y is still fragile and LO/etc. variants do more damage by a few points anyway. (Sure with Y you get no recoil but Mewtwo's probably going to be taken out by priority anyway) X certainly is slightly more intimidating thanks to not being easily stomped by common ES antics, or priorty (for the most part) however it has its own problems.

Either way Mewtwo isn't that greatly ridiculous with the increase. (at least not as much as people make it out to be.)

I can agree with this. Right now, the best Megas to use in Ubers are Kangaskhan, Blaziken, and Gengar.

Kangaskhan is a monster in ubers. + 2 Return/Sucker Punch Earthquake hits very hard, and there are only a few things that can wall her. The most notable are Lugia and Giratina-A. Fully defensive Groudon is 2HKOd by a +2 Return. Let that sink in for a minute. Don't forget that Kangaskhan is also very bulky. 105/100/100 defenses, even uninvested, allow her to eat unboosted neutral hit pretty well.

Next up is Blaziken. Having already been banned due to his immense sweeping ablilities, Blaziken got even better with a new Mega Evolution. His best gift was his increased speed, allowing him to run an Adamant Nature. With the increased attack, it hits on par with a Jolly Life Orb regular Blaziken. With the increased base speed, Mega Blaziken can run 192 speed EVs, which allows him to hit 284 speed, which at + 2, outspeeds everything in the tier. with 64 EEVs in HP, he can eat up a few neutral hits, and it also allows him to use Flare Blitz more times. Also, he got + 10 to each defense, which allows him to survive an unboosted Extreme Killer Arceus Extreme Speed, and KO back with HJK. The one downfall is that Blaziken relies on recoil moves to deal damage. He is more likely to kill himself than be killed. The best wall to him is Giratina, as he is immune to HJK and resists Flare Blitz. Be aware of Knock off, since it deals major damage.

Lastly, we have Gengar. After receiving the boot from OU, Gengar quickly became one of the most used Megas on the ladder. His base speed is 130, which outspeeds most of the tier. His base 170 Special attack is higher than that of Mewtwo, and Shadow Ball as a STAB is great with all the Psychc types running around. Xerneas, one of the best late game cleaners, is solidly checked by Gengar, as when Xerneas is unboosted, he is KOd by Sludge Wave. Trapping is one of the best things to have, which allows Gengar to get rid of many Physically Bulky Pokemon that are lacking on the special side. The main downfall to Mega Gengar is that he is incredibly frail, and Earthquake can now hit him super effectively.

The two Mewtwo formes, while good, do not provide the sheer support of Gengar, the sweeping capability of Blaziken, or the Extreme Power of Kangaskhan.

KillerDraco

Not sure I'd agree about Mega Blaziken. If anything it's only a modest improvement over your standard Blaziken, having just a little more starting speed and a little more bulk (although in all fairness the former becomes of little importance after a Speed Boost or two), and actually dealing less damage than a Life Orb variant. Yes, I'm well aware that the vast majority of Blazikens being used right now are utilizing Blazikenite, but personally I just find it to be an underwhelming improvement over your standard Blaziken, at least compared to how wildly improved Kangaskhan and Gengar are by their Mega Evolutions. But I'm just biased.

Mega Mewtwo X really wishes it had a better physical movepool. I mean, it has a decent amount of options, sure... but it really lacks anything with a lot of power. Relying on things like Brick Break for coverage does it no favors, despite the respectable attack. It could have a lot of surprise value if only it had better attacking options, but it doesn't so it remains somewhat underwhelming.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
I wouldn't say Mega Blaziken is an amazing improvement, but it's a satisfactory boost for an already great Pokemon. It's not like they can do much more for it anyway, unless they make a hold item that prevented all forms recoil or something. The slightly added bulk is nice, though the increased attack and speed make up for the slight loss in power from the LO variants. That, and Blaziken is going to be taking a lot of recoil damage, so I prefer Leftovers on any non-Mega variant.

I prefer to play safer with sets, so Mega Blaziken is an appreciated improvement for me. It's no Mega Kangaskhan level of improvement, but to be honest, Blaziken doesn't need that massive of an improvement.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
If anything it's only a modest improvement over your standard Blaziken, having just a little more starting speed and a little more bulk (although in all fairness the former becomes of little importance after a Speed Boost or two), and actually dealing less damage than a Life Orb variant. Yes, I'm well aware that the vast majority of Blazikens being used right now are utilizing Blazikenite, but personally I just find it to be an underwhelming improvement over your standard Blaziken, at least compared to how wildly improved Kangaskhan and Gengar are by their Mega Evolutions.

I'd imagine that that's mostly caused by Ubers players running Blaziken but choosing not to run Mega Gengar/Mewtwo _/Kangaskhan, and therefore just throwing Blazikenite onto Blaziken; it is only a modest improvement, yes, but if you weren't going to use a different Mega Evolution anyway, there isn't really much to lose by taking that modest improvement.