• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen VIII Pokemon for Ash - voting list

Vote which Pokémon from the gen VIII (Galar) has the best chance or opportunity to hit Ash.

• Rilaboom

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Corviknight

Votes: 33 54.1%
  • Centiskorch

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Coalossal

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Dragapult

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Hatterene

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • Zarude

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • Zacian

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Urshifu

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • Boltund

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
I would like to see Coaloassal

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I'm shocked that at least 8 people have voted for Zacian.. wtf.

I know I can't really make the argument of it being a box-art legendary (since Suicune is as well), but it simply is out of the range of being caught.

And besides Suicune was only on the box of Crystal since they kinda ran-out of legendary pokémon in Gen2.. and despite how much I like Raikou and Entei, Suicune has the least polarizing design.

ShadowForce720

I'm shocked that at least 8 people have voted for Zacian.. wtf.

I know I can't really make the argument of it being a box-art legendary (since Suicune is as well), but it simply is out of the range of being caught.

And besides Suicune was only on the box of Crystal since they kinda ran-out of legendary pokémon in Gen2.. and despite how much I like Raikou and Entei, Suicune has the least polarizing design.
Actually Zacian is not out of range for Ash to catch, heck it would be even easy for them to use an existing storyline that has Ash catching Zacian.

Guy100

At this point based on how Ash's team is stacking, I'm betting his next capture will be Zarude and Urshifu. Urshifu makes the most sense based on the tundra game promotion and Zarude based on the new movie that aired.

I picture Kubfu being Ash's next training Pokemon that he takes under his wing to build its strength after Farfetch evolves. However, I'll keep my fingers crossed, seeing how Ash already has two fighting type pokemon and a water type.

As for Zarude, I see no problem with Ash owning another mythical, since more than one of its own species (Zarude) are said to live together in the forest wild areas of the jungle.
Also, Ash is without both a grass and dark type pokemon on his new team. Him having a dark type feel is important as this will allow for him to counter physic type pokemon more effectively. Based on the typing of his current team, I'd say Ash has put together a good pokemon type group to counter nearly just about any other pokemon type.

His only handicap is against psychic pokemon, which I feel him having a Zarude helps, as it gives him clout to dealing with other pokemon type match ups. Zarude could also easily deal with electric type pokemon as well.

Corviknight in my opinion doesnt help add to anything, besides having a cool design. I dont think it helps much to diversify Ash's team enough.

However, I'm holding on that Lugia will be the final member of his team based on his connection with it in episode 2.

Locormus

Actually Zacian is not out of range for Ash to catch, heck it would be even easy for them to use an existing storyline that has Ash catching Zacian.

Which 'existing' storyline do you mean? The Darkest Day-plot is over. There's no point for Zacian to appear in the animé again.

And 'actually' followed by something outlandish is making my head spin. This is like saying that Ash catching a Lugia is not out of range for him. Zacian is literally the most offensively broken pokémon in the game (followed by Xerneas) and Ash is simply not getting that. He paired with it during the Darkest Day, but that's it.

The only legendary I could see the writers give to Ash is Kubfu.

Everybody and their mother thinking Ash will start capturing box-legendaries just because Goh threw a ball to try and save a poached pokémon and developed a bond with a Suicune is not using their brains correctly.

That may sound harsh, but do you actually think Ash will use a Zacian vs. Leon? HELL NO.

Last edited:

desdar300

Which 'existing' storyline do you mean? The Darkest Day-plot is over. There's no point for Zacian to appear in the animé again.

And 'actually' followed by something outlandish is making my head spin. This is like saying that Ash catching a Lugia is not out of range for him. Zacian is literally the most offensively broken pokémon in the game (followed by Xerneas) and Ash is simply not getting that. He paired with it during the Darkest Day, but that's it.

Everybody and their mother thinking Ash will start capturing box-legendaries just because Goh threw a ball to try and save a poached pokémon and developed a bond with a Suicune is not using their brains correctly.

That may sound harsh, but do you actually think Ash will use a Zacian vs. Leon? HELL NO.
Yeah I'm kind of confused on what the Wolves could possibly do now unless they do something with the royal dorks.
Everything they could possibly do can just be done with Calyrex though

JD

I think Urshifu and Lucario would really overshadow Farfetch’d. I’m hoping it’s Toxel or Applin as his next capture.

Guy100

At this point based on how Ash's team is stacking, I'm betting his next capture will be Zarude and Urshifu. Urshifu makes the most sense based on the tundra game promotion and Zarude based on the new movie that aired.

I picture Kubfu being Ash's next training Pokemon that he takes under his wing to build its strength after Farfetch evolves.

As for Zarude, I see no problem with Ash owning another mythical, since more than one of its own species (Zarude) are said to live together in the forest wild areas of the jungle.
Also, Ash is without both a grass and dark type pokemon on his new team. Him having a dark type feel is important as this will allow for him to counter physic type pokemon more effectively. Based on the typing of his current team, I'd say Ash has put together a good pokemon type group to counter nearly just about any other pokemon type.

His only handicap is against psychic pokemon, which I feel him having a Zarude helps, as it gives him clout to dealing with other pokemon type match ups. Zarude could also easily deal with electric type pokemon as well.

Corviknight in my opinion doesnt help add to anything, besides having a cool design. I dont think it helps much to diversify Ash's team enough.

However, I'm holding on that Lugia will be the final member of his team based on his connection with it in episode 2.

Well considering Ash caught a pseud-legendary right off the bat as his first official capture had already made his team offensively broken. However, since Ash is not scouting for badges and is competing in a world tournament where the strongest trainers in the world are partaking in competition, he'll need to build a very strong team if he's gonna climb the ranks.

The anime has already established that legendaries can be defeated if trainers are skilled enough, regardless of the pokemon they have. I think people forget how powerup items, such as Z moves, Gigantamax, and Mega evolutions put regular Pokemon at nearly the same level or above Legenderies. So, I dont see how Ash catching one, such as Lugia would be a problem to the WC story arc, since he's not battling normal trainers, but those at a high elite level.

Ash has already defeated a handful of legendaries, with one (Regice) being defeated by his pikachu, one of the weakest pokemon. But again, the level of skill a trainer has, shows that Legendaries can be beaten.

Goh, even almost caught Zapdos, so I really dont understand how people can argue its outlandish for a trainer to use one in a battle, given the examples featured in the series of how they can be defeatable. And now that he's obtained a powerful legendary (Suicine), the skies the limit, since the anime is no longer see a problem for a main character owning one, which would cause a problem to the story.

If your gonna based your argument on the game stats, then the fact that Ash owns a dragonite, which is statistically greater than mid-tier legendaries, like Suicune, Zapdoes, and Urshifu, already counters your argument of questioning how broken his team would be, based on how Ash limits his use of dragonite for only major battles with trainers using powerful pokemon, such as megas.

This same scenario of Ash only using his strongest pokemon for tough battles has often been the route the anime has handled Ash's development for years, so that he's not too OP during gym battles. This is why Ash is only reluctant in using his reserved team such as Charizard, sceptile, infernape, snorlax, incinaroar, melmetal or greninja, when he goes to face new challenges.

Also, since leon is the strongest trainer, he's more than capable of defeating legendaries, such as Lugia or Zacian. Eternatus's Gmax form was considered a problem and required the assitance of TWO legendaries to bring it down, not one.

The anime is breaking trends, and the fact that Ash may soon catch a legendary such as Lugia does not ruin the story, as they will only allow him to use it during tougher battles, which is why we hardly ever see dragonite or gengar being used in the WC story.

Last edited:

ShadowForce720

Did you forget the whole Swordbert and Shieldbert stuff that ends with one of the wolves joining you.

Also in the games Rose doesn’t go past the Darkest Day Arc however in the anime it’s clear with him escaping that we haven’t seen the last of him.

Also neither of us in charge of the anime so, no just because the only legendary you can see Ash catching Kubfu doesn’t mean Ash canon get a different legendary.

Also I remind you, you specifically said it was ridiculous to suggest that Ash would get a Dragonair/Dragonite in episode 10 of the series and that it wouldn’t happen and yet instead it actually happened.

Yes, Zacian may be broken in the games, however that doesn’t mean the same would hold true in the anime, as let’s be honest if you used a Pikachu in the games against Latios you would more then likely lose.

Heck some people thought that there would be no way that they would let Goh catch Suicune and that surely it was going to get released and yet that didn’t prevent them from having Goh keep it.

You can not rely on oh well the Pokémon is this way in the games so it can’t be caught.

Sure in the games mascot legendaries tend to be broken but let’s be honest here in the anime their strength varies depending on which one your talking about.

Genetic_Hawk

Pikachu! KIMI NI KIME TAA
E
Everything is possible here cuz goh has to catch zamazenta so that way ash can catch zacian but i dont think its happening cuz ash's team wont show up onscreen

Locormus

Well considering Ash caught a pseudo-legendary right off the bat as his first official capture had already made his team offensively broken. However, since Ash is not scouting for badges and is competing in a world tournament where the strongest trainers in the world are partaking in competition, he'll need to build a very strong team if he's gonna climb the ranks.

The anime has already established that legendaries can be defeated if trainers are skilled enough, regardless of the pokemon they have. I think people forget how powerup items, such as Z moves, Gigantamax, and Mega evolutions put regular Pokemon at nearly the same level or above Legendaries. So, I dont see how Ash catching one, such as Lugia would be a problem to the WC story arc, since he's not battling normal trainers, but those at a high elite level.

Ash has already defeated a handful of legendaries, with one (Regice) being defeated by his pikachu, one of the weakest pokemon. But again, the level of skill a trainer has, shows that Legendaries can be beaten.

Goh, even almost caught Zapdos, so I really dont understand how people can argue its outlandish for a trainer to use one in a battle, given the examples featured in the series of how they can be defeatable. And now that he's obtained a powerful legendary (Suicine), the skies the limit, since the anime is no longer see a problem for a main character owning one, which would cause a problem to the story.

If your gonna based your argument on the game stats, then the fact that Ash owns a dragonite, which is statistically greater than mid-tier legendaries, like Suicune, Zapdos, and Urshifu, already counters your argument of questioning how broken his team would be, based on how Ash limits his use of dragonite for only major battles with trainers using powerful pokemon, such as megas.

This same scenario of Ash only using his strongest pokemon for tough battles has often been the route the anime has handled Ash's development for years, so that he's not too OP during gym battles. This is why Ash is only reluctant in using his reserved team such as Charizard, sceptile, infernape, snorlax, incinaroar, melmetal or greninja, when he goes to face new challenges.

Also, since leon is the strongest trainer, he's more than capable of defeating legendaries, such as Lugia or Zacian. Eternatus's Gmax form was considered a problem and required the assitance of TWO legendaries to bring it down, not one.

The anime is breaking trends, and the fact that Ash may soon catch a legendary such as Lugia does not ruin the story, as they will only allow him to use it during tougher battles, which is why we hardly ever see dragonite or gengar being used in the WC story.

A Dragonite isn't the same as having a box-art legendary. We've seen many trainers with Dragonite on their party, be them strong trainers like Drake or Lance or weak like the one Paul's Honchkrow beat in the PokéRinger-episode in Sinnoh. Yes, Dragonite has a BST of 600, and by all means is a powerful pokémon in the right hands, but how many trainers have you seen that have whipped out a box-art legendary? Have you ever seen a character casually whip out a Ho-Oh? A Groudon perhaps? Have you seen a trainer casually fight another trainer with a Yveltal?

The answer is no.

Again, I'd like you to think. Do you realistically see Ash facing down Leon while he has access to a Zacian? Realistically, no.

Yes, Goh has attempted to catch and has befriended a legendary (after the legendary used him as an escape-plan). But those are quite clearly the lower-tier legendaries. Everything that has been owned by a trainer in the series is fair play in my eyes (everything from Articuno, Entei, Latios, Regirock, Cresselia, Heatran, I hope you get the jist), but I still don't see those as likely options for Ash, since he's not THAT kind of character.

And just because Goh 'caught' a Suicune, the sky certainly is not the limit. Goh is focused on captures and his endgoal is Mew. It makes sense that he's going to get something like a Suicune at some point. But Suicune doesn't mean the sky is the limit, since Suicune of all legendaries, is probably the least imposing there is.

I've never mentioned anything about gamestats prior to this post (because you brought them up), my argument is based on how imposing the pokémon and deep their lore is. I've said 'offensively broken' - and without looking at the stats, that holds true.

If a skill level of a trainer is all that matters (your words), then Ash doesn't need to capture legendaries in order to excel in the higher ranks.

Did you forget the whole Swordbert and Shieldbert stuff that ends with one of the wolves joining you.

Also in the games Rose doesn’t go past the Darkest Day Arc however in the anime it’s clear with him escaping that we haven’t seen the last of him.

Also neither of us in charge of the anime so, no just because the only legendary you can see Ash catching Kubfu doesn’t mean Ash canon get a different legendary.

Also I remind you, you specifically said it was ridiculous to suggest that Ash would get a Dragonair/Dragonite in episode 10 of the series and that it wouldn’t happen and yet instead it actually happened.

Yes, Zacian may be broken in the games, however that doesn’t mean the same would hold true in the anime, as let’s be honest if you used a Pikachu in the games against Latios you would more then likely lose.

Heck some people thought that there would be no way that they would let Goh catch Suicune and that surely it was going to get released and yet that didn’t prevent them from having Goh keep it.

You can not rely on oh well the Pokémon is this way in the games so it can’t be caught.

Sure in the games mascot legendaries tend to be broken but let’s be honest here in the anime their strength varies depending on which one your talking about.

I have not finished the games.

True, I'm not in charge, but this is a speculation thread. I'm simply saying that in my head, it's a lot likelier for Ash to get a Kubfu over a box legendary. He potentially could, but if I had to make a bet.. Kubfu would be it. And I could be wrong, I just don't think I am.

You're right, I was wrong when we were at episode 10. I've also been right about a couple of things though like Suicune getting caught or the plot for the Dracovish episode (and that Goh would get Arctozolt as a byproduct). Episode 10 was very early days and aside from Goh going on a massive Bug-catching spree, there wasn't really much to take as a reference point, so yeah that totally came out of left field. I'm looking at Leon as a reference. Would Ash really need a legendary like Zacian to beat him? What team could Ash make and what team could Leon possibly have that would warrant Ash needing Zacian to just barely overcome him (again, haven't finished the games, I know Leon has Charizard, Dragapult and the fully evolved starter of the one that was left after the player and Hop picked their starters). I can't imagine a battle where Ash has at least a Pikachu, Dragonite, Lucario and a Zacian and expect our boy to be the underdog, when he also might bring along reserves like Ash-Greninja, Sceptile, Snorlax, Infernape, Incineroar or Melmetal.

I can imagine any regular Pikachu sucking and can accept that there can be one exceptional one in the animé. But I can't see a box-legendary sucking as much as a regular Pikachu, unless it's that baby Lugia from the Whirl Island, in which case.. It was a baby. Is Gigantamax Charizard that much of a threat that Ash needs to have a Zacian in the back. That's the question people need to ask. And if we go into the battle knowing that Ash has a Zacian (which can also Dynamax) how in the world are we going to be seeing him as the underdog?

The thing in my head is that there's a difference between the levels of lore a legendary has attached to it. Which mascot legendary do you think is underperforming in the animé? Surely you can't imagine a trainer casually turning up with a Dialga, Giratina or Groudon? Reshiram got controlled in Best Wishes by Ghetsis/Colress, but could you see Ash casually wrecking everything with a Blue Flare? For me that last DP-opening is basically the cut off point. It featured Entei and Darkrai. That's lower-tier legendaries and mythicals (I'm excluding Arceus for obvious reasons).

The only one that would make sense would be Solgaleo, specifically Nebby. And I still don't find the odds of that happening (as an actual capture) very high.

I pretty much thought there was no problem with Goh capturing Suicune before the episode aired. I thought it could get released, but the merch it got made me think that the odds of it staying on the cast were higher then being released. The way that episode played out was really well done in my eyes.

E

Everything is possible here cuz goh has to catch zamazenta so that way ash can catch zacian but i dont think its happening cuz ash's team wont show up onscreen

My god, this is what I mean that people aren't thinking with their right set of brains. Goh needs to catch, so Ash needs to catch. Really? >.>

Genetic_Hawk

Pikachu! KIMI NI KIME TAA
My god, this is what I mean that people aren't thinking with their right set of brains. Goh needs to catch, so Ash needs to catch. Really? >.>
Oh really my eng is that bad?
I said "can" i dont remember saying ash needs to catch.
So who's not using brains?

Guy100

A Dragonite isn't the same as having a box-art legendary. We've seen many trainers with Dragonite on their party, be them strong trainers like Drake or Lance or weak like the one Paul's Honchkrow beat in the PokéRinger-episode in Sinnoh. Yes, Dragonite has a BST of 600, and by all means is a powerful pokémon in the right hands, but how many trainers have you seen that have whipped out a box-art legendary? Have you ever seen a character casually whip out a Ho-Oh? A Groudon perhaps? Have you seen a trainer casually fight another trainer with a Yveltal?

The answer is no.

Again, I'd like you to think. Do you realistically see Ash facing down Leon while he has access to a Zacian? Realistically, no.

Yes, Goh has attempted to catch and has befriended a legendary (after the legendary used him as an escape-plan). But those are quite clearly the lower-tier legendaries. Everything that has been owned by a trainer in the series is fair play in my eyes (everything from Articuno, Entei, Latios, Regirock, Cresselia, Heatran, I hope you get the jist), but I still don't see those as likely options for Ash, since he's not THAT kind of character.

And just because Goh 'caught' a Suicune, the sky certainly is not the limit. Goh is focused on captures and his endgoal is Mew. It makes sense that he's going to get something like a Suicune at some point. But Suicune doesn't mean the sky is the limit, since Suicune of all legendaries, is probably the least imposing there is.

I've never mentioned anything about gamestats prior to this post (because you brought them up), my argument is based on how imposing the pokémon and deep their lore is. I've said 'offensively broken' - and without looking at the stats, that holds true.

If a skill level of a trainer is all that matters (your words), then Ash doesn't need to capture legendaries in order to excel in the higher ranks.

I have not finished the games.

True, I'm not in charge, but this is a speculation thread. I'm simply saying that in my head, it's a lot likelier for Ash to get a Kubfu over a box legendary. He potentially could, but if I had to make a bet.. Kubfu would be it. And I could be wrong, I just don't think I am.

You're right, I was wrong when we were at episode 10. I've also been right about a couple of things though like Suicune getting caught or the plot for the Dracovish episode (and that Goh would get Arctozolt as a byproduct). Episode 10 was very early days and aside from Goh going on a massive Bug-catching spree, there wasn't really much to take as a reference point, so yeah that totally came out of left field. I'm looking at Leon as a reference. Would Ash really need a legendary like Zacian to beat him? What team could Ash make and what team could Leon possibly have that would warrant Ash needing Zacian to just barely overcome him (again, haven't finished the games, I know Leon has Charizard, Dragapult and the fully evolved starter of the one that was left after the player and Hop picked their starters). I can't imagine a battle where Ash has at least a Pikachu, Dragonite, Lucario and a Zacian and expect our boy to be the underdog, when he also might bring along reserves like Ash-Greninja, Sceptile, Snorlax, Infernape, Incineroar or Melmetal.

I can imagine any regular Pikachu sucking and can accept that there can be one exceptional one in the animé. But I can't see a box-legendary sucking as much as a regular Pikachu, unless it's that baby Lugia from the Whirl Island, in which case.. It was a baby. Is Gigantamax Charizard that much of a threat that Ash needs to have a Zacian in the back. That's the question people need to ask. And if we go into the battle knowing that Ash has a Zacian (which can also Dynamax) how in the world are we going to be seeing him as the underdog?

The thing in my head is that there's a difference between the levels of lore a legendary has attached to it. Which mascot legendary do you think is underperforming in the animé? Surely you can't imagine a trainer casually turning up with a Dialga, Giratina or Groudon? Reshiram got controlled in Best Wishes by Ghetsis/Colress, but could you see Ash casually wrecking everything with a Blue Flare? For me that last DP-opening is basically the cut off point. It featured Entei and Darkrai. That's lower-tier legendaries and mythicals (I'm excluding Arceus for obvious reasons).

The only one that would make sense would be Solgaleo, specifically Nebby. And I still don't find the odds of that happening (as an actual capture) very high.

I pretty much thought there was no problem with Goh capturing Suicune before the episode aired. I thought it could get released, but the merch it got made me think that the odds of it staying on the cast were higher then being released. The way that episode played out was really well done in my eyes.

Well, were just gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. Ash is a pokemon trainer , and as such, he has impunity to catch whatever pokemon he sees as a companion. There has never been anything established in an interview or said within the anime that labels him as "that kind of character", to not be able to have a legendary, or those that are very powerful, such as Lugia.

We've seen the series evolved to the point where Ash has caught more and more powerful pokemon to add to his current reserve roster. Ash-Greninja, Goodra, Naganadel and Melmetal is what set the bar even higher, as Ash had now been developed as a skilled enough trainer to own powerful pokemon which could rival legendaries.

I'll mention again, that this is a world tournament arc, and Ash is competing with the best trainers in the world. Trainers participating in this tournament could included trainers such as Tobias who may potentially have pokemon that are soley legendaries.

Just because Ash owns a few legendaries does not make him unstoppable or less of an underdog if he's up against pokemon trainers who have the skills to defeat possibly any pokemon. The series has shown time and again, that just because a trainer owns a powerful pokemon, does not automatically make them less of an underdog, if they aren't very skilled in pokemon battles. Iris and her Dragonite are a perfect example of this.

What reason would there be for Ash not to have a legendary, if its been showns that he's now fully capable of commanding one, having had experience owning a psedu-legendary, ultra-beast, mythical and full evolved starters. He's now reached a point in his level of understanding pokemon, that he can even use aura, trigger a bond phenomenon, and even hear their deepest throughts (lugia).

Again, the fact that Leon is the strongest trainer there is, is all the reasoning why Ash is considered an underdog, since he still is not skilled enough to defeat him. Him having a legendary will not usurp Leon's dominance as a strong trainer, especially seeing how Ash himself has defeated trainers with legendaries, which is a feat that can be easily accomplishable for Leon or any strong trainer.

Bottom line, here is the inevitable facts, the pokemon anime is breaking trends, and Ash "WILL" eventually own a legendary sooner or later to develop his story progression. Proof of this is his ascension to becoming a champion, after competing in many league tournaments, and the other mentioned example of having powerful pokemon he's caught over the course of the series , going from possessing fully evolved starters to pseudo-legendaries & going father to owning mega-level tier pokemon (Ash-Greninja), Ultra-Beast (Naganedel) and a Mythical (Melmetal).

By story progression logic, the next further step is him possessing his own Legendary; Lugia, Ushifu, etc.

Last edited: