1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Gen V's legacy on the series

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by Italianbaptist, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Italianbaptist

Italianbaptist Informed Casual

I think this is okay because it's not speculation on Gen VI ;)

So Nintendo is quite literally pregnant (9 months, eh?) with the new generation of Pokemon and Black/White/Black2/White2 will soon be delegated to the realm of "retro". What memories do you think this gen will bring?

In terms of Pokemon design, it was probably the most controversial gen since Gen 3, but as far as innovation goes there wasn't the huge changes to the battle system like we saw in Gen 3 (Double Battles, completely changed IV setup) or Gen 4 (Physical/Special split). Triple, Rotation, and Shooter battles were pretty much novelties that never really fleshed themselves out as much as I would like. Probably the biggest innovation this gen made, however, would be in terms of story. It was probably the most immersive of any main series Pokemon game I have played so far and really caused the player to ask himself tough questions. I think that's the biggest legacy Gen V will leave. It's also noteworthy that X/Y don't seem to be doing the "New Pokemon only thing" like Black and White 1 first did. That was another huge deal.

I liked these games a lot, and I would like to see them remembered fondly. How about y'all?

2. Excitable Boy

Excitable Boy is a metaphor

TBH, you can't exactly talk about how Gen V affected the future of the series (which is what a legacy is) until said future has arrived, unless you've got a Monado or something.

3. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Active Member

I think storyline will be the major thing Gen 5 leaves. It was an interesting story that really made sense, with great motive, and great reasoning, and really made people think about Pokemon.

4. The Crobatman

The Crobatman Member

I think he's more asking us to share what new things gen V brought to the Pokemon table, rather than how it affects future games. Like for example, although I didn't like Gen 5 all that much, I do like the slight variations they added to the pokemon formula, just even the tiniest things, like how in Black/White you never really got to finish the pokemon league the first time, or the trio of gym leaders at the first gym or whatever. Honestly, That's really all I can think about that really stood out to me.

5. Italianbaptist

Italianbaptist Informed Casual

Maybe I could have worded my post better, but I'm really just thinking about in the future, how will people look back on Gen V and what will they say it did right or wrong? For example, I thought Gen V did much right with a deep story, reusable TMs, and an animated battlefield (thanks to some others who reminded me of these) and hopefully they'll all be preserved for generations to come. I certainly don't think Gen V was a complete failure by any means (like some would suggest lol), but I am curious as to see how it will be remembered seeing how unique it was/is.

6. Missingno.Fan

Missingno.Fan Well-Known Member

I think that Gen V got a lot more people into Pokemon again. I know that I was more hyped for Black/White than I have been for a Pokemon game since Gen II.

7. Luxvan

Luxvan Mozilla Fennekin

I agree, Black and White had a huge legacy with the story, and then the wild idea of the sequel. Honestly, I wasn't that impressed with BW2's story, especially in comparison to the first, so I hope whatever they carry on with 6th Gen will be improved.
    Rotation battles, I also liked those a lot.

8. FallBird

FallBird Well-Known Member

I agree with this. The story in Black/White was touching, the music fit the mood of the game, and the fact that it had a sequel were all incredible. Although it could be said that Gold and Silver were sort of a sequel to Red, Blue and Green in that they involved the same enemy, they didn't have the same urgency that Black 2/White 2 had, nor the specific characters in common. The only thing about Black 2 that I wish was different was that it had lasted longer, story wise, and that the rival had actually battled you more than twice.

9. Nesquik3D

Nesquik3D <-- Want a DWF

I definitely want the PWT to return. That was fun.

10. WildHennaCharizard

WildHennaCharizard Well-Known Member

Honesttly to me Gen 5 will be rembered as the gen in which fans constanty fought over that gens designs and that GF was "running out of ideas" due to ice cream and trash Pokemon. I for one want to move on.

11. pokedigijedi

pokedigijedi Saiyan Jedi

generation 5 brought a good storyline, haxorus, triple battles, rotational battles, braviary, seasons, the pwt, the tao trio, cobalion, terrakion.
    of the top of my head those where the best features( and this coming from a gen 1 and 2 fan).

12. Serebii!

Serebii! Well-Known Member

The 5th generation has been my favourite so far though I still have not played BW2. I loved the Pokemon it brought into the series and the new types of battling which I hope continue and become even more common in XY

13. The Admiral

The Admiral solid state survivor

What bizarre definition of "retro" do you have, man? It won't even be five years old. It will barely even be a generation of consoles old.

I don't see it, but I don't remember Gen III design complaints. Also, people who are complaining about designs in Gen V are wrong. None of its designs were as bad as a chunk of chewed-up bubble gum.

Well, I think if they were pushed too much more heavily, people would have whined about the "gimmick battles" or whatever, even though Pokemon has become increasingly gimmick-based since Gen III, which is apparently the second-biggest shibboleth in the Pokemon fandom, anyway.

I think it got too big for its britches, frankly.

I liked them, but I like most Pokemon games. Even DP aren't without their merits, even if I wasn't hugely enthused. I'm not really gonna miss most of the characters, though.

14. bobandbill

bobandbill Winning Smile Staff Member Super Mod

Hmm... Not a bad topic in itself, but as others have said it is a little early to go about what things we'll remember of a generation that still has 10 months to go. That said I will give it a go given it's had a decent start and might get some good discussion from it.

15. ForeverFlame

ForeverFlame WATER TRUMPETS

Poor Gen V. It was the best generation, but it will definitely be the forgotten generation in the grand scheme of things. Let's be real here - it was generation 4.5. The first four generations changed the series radically, and Gen V was pretty tame in comparison. But it did some really important things, like completely breaking the patterns Pokemon had followed in previous generations.

I feel like Generation VI will be amazing, and will overshadow Generation V like II did to I. But I also feel like Gen V will have a lot of nostalgia associated with it from children who were introduced to the series with Black and White, sort of like how teenagers today feel nostalgic over Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and demand remakes at any opportunity.

16. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

That's a rather bold declaration to make with B/W2 still warm in hardware worldwide.

No generation is "the forgotten generation" and there's nothing about Generation V that will mark it as such.

17. Elementer

Elementer Sword&Element Master

I think Gen V as a whole is a pretty solid way to end the Pokemon series so far as games on the DS are concerned. It really gives you an idea of how the series has matured...not necessarily art-wise, but rather the story, designs, and the gameplay itself. I don't think anyone can argue that, as a whole, BW and B2W2 simply have a much more immense, darker and interesting story than pretty much any of its predecessors.

The Pokemon designs, no matter what some might say, were pretty original. I think that it's really hard to go to 600+ Pokemon and still differentiate them by the difference in stats, designs, and their movepool, and it's nice to see GameFreak, in a way, is still being pretty darn creative with the Pokemon they're pumping out. The new factors they added in - like the theater/movies, musicals, and of course, the PWT - as well as all the other side quests and post-E4 just give Gen V a really lasting flavor...and, again, with the EV's and IV's and emphasis on Wi-Fi battling/trading, it's nice to see a developer take some interest in the competitive side of their games...

Overall, I think Gen V should be remembered and defined as a pretty good, solid installment that brought a lot of nostalgia back to the players, like HG and SS did.

18. ForeverFlame

ForeverFlame WATER TRUMPETS

BW/BW2 were released on the DS, a platform with five other main Pokemon games. The DS was already at the end of its days when BW were released. Many people outright skip BW for the sequels (or HGSS, even), so they don't get to experience the story at all (in past generations people skipped the original pair for the third version, so they still got to experience the same story). The generation only lasted 3 years in Japan and 2 1/2 in other places. The games were self-contained and there weren't any remakes to capitalize on nostalgia (HGSS was a popular remake from older fans, and it keeps Gen IV relevant). There was no battle simulator released for this generation, which is a first. There were very few spin-offs compared to the third and fourth generations. The Anime was a lot shorter than the other series. There were only three movies this time, and the third movie will probably star a sixth generation Legendary Pokemon anyway. The BW manga is really short compared to the DP manga, and the BW2 arc will undoubtedly be rushed to the extreme (or outright ignored) in order to maximize XY hype.

If you compare it to the other generations, it was definitely a "blink and you'll miss it" generation.

19. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

Generations I and II were only three years each as well. Are we going to try and claim them as "forgotten" on the same basis?

Again, there is nothing Generation V didn't do that will render it "blink and you'll miss it". Everything else you listed is ancillary, at best, and none of that addresses the problem of trying to declare something "forgotten" when it's still technically the most recent standard and will stay that way for some months yet.

20. X&Y

X&Y Member

I definitely think that generation V was the most immersive in terms of storyline and did actually end up establishing itself as an effective reboot for the series, putting a lot of originality into a series people had been criticizing for not being creative enough and not innovating in ways to really give the games individuality. So really I feel like despite it's controversies it'll end up being remembered as one of the most inclusive and fresh generations in a long time.