• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen V's legacy on the series

randomspot555

It might have been intentional but that doesn't mean it was a good idea. il take grimer over garbador any day.

You do know Unova is based on a huge city and city's have trash problems, right? Hence, a trash Pokemon.

What's so bad about Garbador? And no, saying "it is a Pokemon based off of trash" is not a valid answer.

Thomas Elliot

I AM HUSH
Gen V did a lot of things no question about that. But in my mind I really think Gen VI is going be the legacy changer, when we look back on this 5-10 years down the road. My reasoning is because the entire visual layout has been transformed. The top down gameplay which has been there from the beginning has vanished. Encounters and battles seem to be much more fluid.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
The storyline and the N and Team Plasma plots would be remembered the most imo. Gen 5 was also the 1st generation to have the Pokemon League interrupted by the villains (and I hope this isn't the last time it happens).

randomspot555

Gen V did a lot of things no question about that. But in my mind I really think Gen VI is going be the legacy changer, when we look back on this 5-10 years down the road. My reasoning is because the entire visual layout has been transformed. The top down gameplay which has been there from the beginning has vanished. Encounters and battles seem to be much more fluid.

We really don't know how much the gameplay has actually changed. This early on in the process, they're still putting the game together and they could cut and dice a lot of this. Remember that early PBR promos showed that the colosseums and stadiums would sustain damage from the attacks and stay damaged, but that was removed from the final game.

Stymie

powered by insanity
It really isn't, though. Same length as the first two generations.

Well, the expansion of pokemon is great and having more pokemon is fantastic but what about all the ones who'll sink further in the shadows and be forgotten like poor old Grumpig?

randomspot555

Well, the expansion of pokemon is great and having more pokemon is fantastic but what about all the ones who'll sink further in the shadows and be forgotten like poor old Grumpig?

Who says Grumpig is "forgotten" and what do they use to support that notion? It was available as a wild capture in B2, a first for it.

BCVM22

what about all the ones who'll sink further in the shadows and be forgotten like poor old Grumpig?

As said, what is it specifically that makes Grumpig or any other single critter "forgotten"?

Is it that it isn't as prominent as certain others by way of not playing a vital role in games, not appearing in other mediums and/or not appearing on merchandise? That's absolutely true, for Grumpig and any number of others. But it was also absolutely true when there were 151/251/386/493/649 critters total. And if Grumpig is still notable enough to you for you to bring it up in this discussion, then it's not forgotten, is it?

Zazie

So 1991
I think it was a great way for Gamefreak to show that they weren't getting complacent with the games. They seemed to do a lot more bucking of previous trends in gen V than the previous Gen's which I see as a great thing. The first 3 games were able to introduce a lot of exciting new game mechanics, but by the end of gen 3 it looked like they got the overall mechanical completexity where it needed to be. So gen 4 seemed to be mostly just a few refinements in comparision.*Gen V partially combated this by mixing things up in the single player game, which made it feel a little more exciting.

The breaking of what formerly appeared to be sacred cow in the games makes me a little more excited for new games, since who knows what things they might do different in gen 6 and later.

It also introduced Triple/Rotation Battles and the item launcher which a great idea. (if only the new battle styles were utilized a little more in single player)

*Physical/Special Split was an excellent addition, but it was more of a balance improvement rather than a completely new game element.

Last edited:

master54100

You do know Unova is based on a huge city and city's have trash problems, right? Hence, a trash Pokemon.

What's so bad about Garbador? And no, saying "it is a Pokemon based off of trash" is not a valid answer.

It's a pokemon that stink's of some designer running out of idea's and turning the first thing he saw in the office into a pokemon. if it looked decent id be fine with it, but its literally just a garbage bag with eyes.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
It's a pokemon that stink's of some designer running out of idea's and turning the first thing he saw in the office into a pokemon. if it looked decent id be fine with it, but its literally just a garbage bag with eyes.

...Or there's the logical assumption which posits that somebody simply thought that a bag of garbage would be a nice parallel to Gen I's resident pile of sludge, since they were going for parallels.

Here's a good rule of thumb:
-Unique Pokemon designs like ice cream and trash bags = Creative.
-Using the worn-out and wholly incorrect "they ran out of ideas" argument = Not creative.

On the other hand, Pidgey is literally just a bird, which you can see plenty of just by looking out of an office window, so I guess they've been out of ideas since Gen I.

Last edited:

randomspot555

It's a pokemon that stink's of some designer running out of idea's

The very definition of "running out of ideas" is not creating something.

In this case, there is clearly something created. So you are therefore, factually wrong.

and turning the first thing he saw in the office into a pokemon.

Magnet Pokemon
Sludge Pokemon
Half a dozen of eggs Pokemon

Is there someth if it looked decent id be fine with it, but its literally just a garbage bag with eyes.

And Muk is just a pile of sludge that's smiling.

Geodude is a rock with arms.

What's wrong with relatively simple Pokemon designs?

It sounds like you hold Gen 5 to a higher standard than other gens.

Roihu

Preach it, brother man!

Anyways, Gen V has actually passed by relatively quick because of the lack of spin-offs, the same console being used, and (imo only) because of the bland storyline BW2 had.

BW2 level of storytelling should not have happened in the end nor in the beginning. It should have been a middle game. Sadly, I'll remember Gen V for the bland storyline BW2 had.

But I'll also remember it for Dream World, the amazing storyline that BW had, the great FEELING that BW had (all new Pokemon, all new storyline, all new everything), the PWT, and INFRARED. Thinking about it, BW was absolutely one of my all time favorite games for the feeling it gave you the first time you played it. It really felt like you were starting Pokemon all over again. There were so many good things about BW.

When I think of BW2, I'm disappointed by Gen V.

When I think of BW, I'm thinking "holy cow, this was an amazing generation."

So, there's that.

Super-Staff

Turnabout Pokemon
When I think of BW2, I'm disappointed by Gen V.

When I think of BW, I'm thinking "holy cow, this was an amazing generation."

So, there's that.

I disliked BW2 for the most part, but I found BW to be an amazing game. I wouldn't remember Gen5 just due to BW2, though.

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
Legacy characters in black and white 1, and in black and white 2, until a new game does it...the world tournament. (Seriously. If someone decided to randomly play my black two game, you know where I'd be? Oh right, in the world tournament area. XD 9/10 times I would be in that area if you opened it up. XD)

Hyu might of been the best and most awesome "rival" ever (N still counts more as an opposing person rather then a rival.), and corless was cool in his own right. But it obviously doesn't compare to the first story, N. <3...

I just Hope they make the region more encompassed like in black and white 2, while make the story more like black and white 1's.

...oh and the music. Make the music awesome or varied. Either one, or both works. XD Like they did in black and white 2 ;_;...

ALL OF THE FANGASUMS AND ALL OF THE AWESOME MUSIC.

MAGAX

Symbol Hunter
i agree that the story of gen 5 will be the most memorable, unless gen 6's story manage to beat it somehow. who the hell would expect N, the leader of the game's evil team to beat the champion and raise a castle out of nowhere at the supposed final moments of the narrative
so you are fine with a random pile of sludge with eyes(muk) and pokeball with eyes(voltorb) and totally hate the idea of garbage bag with eyes?i would like to see you say the same thing if the games were released in reverse order(i.e. black/white being the very first games and r/b/y being the latest games)

Last edited:

Hilda

Some of the posts in this thread and that's the one that needs to calm down?

Dude, why do you always take things too seriously? He didn't actually say Grrrr, I added it to make it humorous, and it was a joke.

Stymie