• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen V's legacy on the series

Stymie

powered by insanity
So perhaps we can agree that any collectible set is always going to have elements that aren't quite as popular as others, but that the wide variety means that everyone will always have their favorites regardless of how popular they are and as such we shouldn't paint the inevitable further expansion of the bestiary as a negative for that sole reason?

I shall settle to and accept an understanding between us there, yours is a more positive view which i prefer, my favorites will be cherished no less and only new happiness and companionships will be spawned for others and myself.

Last edited:

Lion Demon

Fairy Type Champion
I believe these are going to be the most predominant features of the series

• The fact that triple & rotation battles were introduced
• Original Antagonists
• (For the originals), No foreign Pokémon in the Pokedex
• Best Character designs
• The unique Legendary Pokémon
• The elite 4 were all rounded to the same level
• The unique additions to the visuals

Honestly, Pokémon Black & White is an impressive staple to the Pokémon series that doesn't deserve the ridicule it has right now!

Unredemption

The unique Legendary Pokémon

I'll assume that you're talking about the fused Kyurem formes for BW2 (an interesting thing at the very least), because the rest of the legendary Pokemon don't really seem especially "unique".

Every generation has its own legacy: Gen I brought us Pokemon, Gen II brought us breeding and the current type chart, Gen III brought us the refined Battle facilities (BT in Crystal was more of a prototype) and Running Shoes, Gen IV brought us wireless communications, Gen V increased the importance of the story to the main game, made the battle scenes dynamic and brought us PWT.

Ice cream cones and trash bags aren't much more "un-creative" than Pokeballs with eyes or inverted Pokeballs with a creepy smile.

Lion Demon

Fairy Type Champion
I'll assume that you're talking about the fused Kyurem formes for BW2 (an interesting thing at the very least), because the rest of the legendary Pokemon don't really seem especially "unique".

Ice cream cones and trash bags aren't much more "un-creative" than Pokeballs with eyes or inverted Pokeballs with a creepy smile.

I was talking about Zekrom & Reshiram: There designs are absolutely magnificent! But you have a good point with some of the pokemon, Vannilice & Garbardor are terrible!

Unredemption

But you have a good point with some of the pokemon, Vannilice & Garbardor are terrible!

They probably aren't the most aesthetically pleasing ones, but they get too much hate - it's not like there weren't "terribly designed" Pokemon in previous generations.

MAGAX

Symbol Hunter
there are goods and bads about pokemon in every generation. when people start to lose interest in pokemon(due to various reasons), they tend to look at all the negative aspects and vice versa. i dont remember people complaining about muk or voltorbs in gen1 because of the interest in pokemon for everyone. when more games are released, people start to lose interest and magnify the negative aspects of pokemon to give themselves a good reason to leave the pokemon community.

personally i hate those that say that gen1 and gen2 are the best just because vanilluxe or garbardor are ugly or badly designed in gen5, they simply lost interest in pokemon and are reminiscing the so-called "good old days" they had with pokemon in the past. i believe in generation equality as there are both good and bad things in every generation. in my opinion there are no badly designed pokemon as pokemon can be absolutely anything, anything at all. who set the rule that an ice cream cone and garbage cannot be a pokemon while a pile of sludge, pokeball, eggs, magnets or even alphabets are pokemon.

zozo

SLIMED!
I think Gen V will be remembered, among other things, for the new lease on life it gave to many of the older Pokemon through Hidden Abilities.

The Dream World had an absolutely huge impact on the metagame. Pokemon that were never used whatsoever all of a sudden became viable. And I'm not just looking at the obvious Politoed and Ninetales here, Pokemon like Butterfree, which was an absolute joke prior to Gen V, was given Tinted Lens and Quiver dance and, hey presto, suddenly it has potential to be a sweeper?. Sableye came back from the dead to be a havoc-wreaking little imp thanks to Prankster being added to its already nice collection of status moves. Blaziken got sent to ubers, all kinds of crazy things happened because of the Dream World! Whether you're for these changes or you absolutely hated them, you have to admit that a lot of stuff changed thanks to that collection of internet side-games!

Ausgirl

Well I'll remember gen 5 for the following:

-Interesting pokemon designs
-The first pokemon game since gen 1 which only featured the new Pokemon -that is until after the E4
-Likeable bad guy who wasn't boring
-The Dream World
-BW2 improved breeding methods

I think storyline will be the major thing Gen 5 leaves. It was an interesting story that really made sense, with great motive, and great reasoning, and really made people think about Pokemon.

Urgh I really hate it when people say that. It's a video game. Video games should be about having fun, not making people think. Besides while I enjoyed the game itself, the storyline didn't really set itself apart from the other storylines in the previous games. It was basically the same for me. A bad guy attempts to take over the pokemon world. The only difference here is that he tried to use people's empathy towards pokemon against them but the intended outcome was the same -to get people to release their pokemon or trade them in whatever so that they would be defenseless against the big bad. You guys must have completely skipped the whole ending where Ghetsis ran out on his son and basically said this is one of his big speeches. I admit that N was a unique anti-hero but at the same time he was brainwashed by Ghetsis...

I think that Gen V got a lot more people into Pokemon again. I know that I was more hyped for Black/White than I have been for a Pokemon game since Gen II.

That was the aim anyway. The reason why only the new pokemon could be obtained, leaving the others until post elite 4. I thought it worked well, though I'm more excited about gen 6 than I was for gen 5. I don't give a damn about the storyline as you might have guessed -I'm more interested in seeing the transition from DS to 3DS and what the new generation brings into the game.

Poor Gen V. It was the best generation, but it will definitely be the forgotten generation in the grand scheme of things. Let's be real here - it was generation 4.5. The first four generations changed the series radically, and Gen V was pretty tame in comparison. But it did some really important things, like completely breaking the patterns Pokemon had followed in previous generations.

I feel like Generation VI will be amazing, and will overshadow Generation V like II did to I. But I also feel like Gen V will have a lot of nostalgia associated with it from children who were introduced to the series with Black and White, sort of like how teenagers today feel nostalgic over Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and demand remakes at any opportunity.

I think it's too early to say yet. I've been playing since the good ol' days of RBY and I don't think they were overshadowed by GSC. I still remember people (myself included) playing Yellow despite it's green-yellow hue even when Crystal came out. Because back then the Gameboy color was in circulation and if I remember correctly it was able to play both the black and white games and the color games. Yellow was a favorite because it reminded people of the anime which was big at the time. That was when the movies ect were still showing in the cinemas instead of going straight onto DVD and people hid their gameboys and pokemon cards at school. Gen V will have it's share nastalgia-crazed people in time but I doubt it'll pass that of the gen one people.

im hoping that it will inspire better pokemon design in future, seriously whoever though making not one but two pokemon based on a bag of rubbish was a good idea... to many of the gen 5 pokemon looked like cheap nock offs of the gen 1 pokemon.

Meanwhile gen 1 had bland pokemon designs like a magnet pokemon and a pokemon based off goo.

After seeing this morning's announcement the first thing that went through my mind was- "Generation V's over already?" . In my opinion, I feel that GameFreak was rushing into things and wanted to keep the franchise popular and alive with hype, which obviously worked. However, Generation V seems like it won't be forgotten, but it seems like it won't get the shine it deserves. If i remember correctly, it gets Black&White, Black2&White2, Conquest, Pokepark2, and the Mystery Dungeon [which isn't in the US yet]. All in a rushed period of 2 or so years is a little too much... I'm excited as the next guy for the 6th generation, but I really wished Generation V would be prolonged. It makes sense now when they said the anime would be fast paced...but if I remember correctly the Unova League ends in the next episode...and I'm not really sure how that works if they are in the midst of a quarterfinal battle...I hoped that Ash would meet up with some of his older Pokemon, do the whole meet and greet. But overall, I genuinely feel like Generation V would be the 'transition generation', something just to keep us satisfied until Generation VI. Which is a waste, Generation IV was so long with only 107 introduced, and with 156 introduced in Generation V it just makes you think that it would at least break even with the previous generation. The Pokemon were definitely memorable and so was the plot but let's face it. When we move on, we rarely go back. I got my Black 2 in November and I still haven't finished it [high school, tons of work], and I usually enjoy that big time period of no new games where I can enjoy the game [post Elite 4] and cherish what it has to offer. That won't be the case it seems because by the end of the year I'll be having a new game [X, if you must know] and Black 2 will be just something of the past... it's difficult to think that of something that still has its novelty to you now. Too soon Pokemon Company, too soon...

It still feels a bit early for me as well but most gens only last 2-3 years. However I think I'll be ready by the time October arrives.

Last edited:

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Urgh I really hate it when people say that. It's a video game. Video games should be about having fun, not making people think. Besides while I enjoyed the game itself, the storyline didn't really set itself apart from the other storylines in the previous games. It was basically the same for me. A bad guy attempts to take over the pokemon world. The only difference here is that he tried to use people's empathy towards pokemon against them but the intended outcome was the same -to get people to release their pokemon or trade them in whatever so that they would be defenseless against the big bad. You guys must have completely skipped the whole ending where Ghetsis ran out on his son and basically said this is one of his big speeches. I admit that N was a unique anti-hero but at the same time he was brainwashed by Ghetsis...

Why not think? Everything should make you think about it, even if you don't realize it. It is fun, yes, but deep at the same ime.

Though Gen V wasn't like that, Gen IV was far more complicated than it, considering the motives were actually justified by the entire team, instead of just N and some Grunts in Plasma.

Chapter

hello, im back sorta
Somewhere on the first page said:
TBH, you can't exactly talk about how Gen V affected the future of the series (which is what a legacy is) until said future has arrived, unless you've got a Monado or something.
LOL

Anyway; This genereation was amazing. I mean, it was far better than Diamond, Pearl, Platinum. Sinnoh was (personally) worse than Unova. Most Pokemon were evos of previous. We also can't forgot mechanics introduced in BW, BW2 such as: MMing@1300, IR Communications, GTS Negotiations, and the fact that existed. Don't forget about Anville town, getting your 8th gym basge from Drayden/Marlon, or reaching the E4, just to find that they're moderately tough and balance each other extremely well. Gen5 was great, and I excpect great things from Gen6 to be even better. (GO FENNEKIN!)

Ausgirl

Why not think? Everything should make you think about it, even if you don't realize it. It is fun, yes, but deep at the same ime.

Though Gen V wasn't like that, Gen IV was far more complicated than it, considering the motives were actually justified by the entire team, instead of just N and some Grunts in Plasma.

Gen 5 wasn't "deep" and gen 4 was probably the least "complicated" game in the series. Games should be about having fun. I'm not interested in the possible psychological damage lol, of tiny bits of data.

LOL

Anyway; This genereation was amazing. I mean, it was far better than Diamond, Pearl, Platinum. Sinnoh was (personally) worse than Unova. Most Pokemon were evos of previous. We also can't forgot mechanics introduced in BW, BW2 such as: MMing@1300, IR Communications, GTS Negotiations, and the fact that existed. Don't forget about Anville town, getting your 8th gym basge from Drayden/Marlon, or reaching the E4, just to find that they're moderately tough and balance each other extremely well. Gen5 was great, and I excpect great things from Gen6 to be even better. (GO FENNEKIN!)

Agreed with the exception of the evo thing. There was maybe five evos of previous gens, no more than any other game really. And gen 4 introduced some amazing pokemon of it's own like Garchomp.

Last edited:

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Gen 5 wasn't "deep" and gen 4 was probably the least "complicated" game in the series. Games should be about having fun. I'm not interested in the possible psychological damage lol, of tiny bits of data.

I didn't say Gen V was deep, as it wasn't.

Gen IV is complicated because of how Dimensional Space-Time is intertwined in the plot.

And actually, the thinking is what partly makes it fun, just because it isn't fun for you, doesn't mean thinking is something fun for oher people.

Ausgirl

I didn't say Gen V was deep, as it wasn't.

Gen IV is complicated because of how Dimensional Space-Time is intertwined in the plot.

And actually, the thinking is what partly makes it fun, just because it isn't fun for you, doesn't mean thinking is something fun for oher people.

You did say it was deep but that isn't really the point. The dimensional space-time thing only featured in the plot for like 5 minutes, right at the very end. And only in Platinum... Sure it was kinda cool walking along with Cynthia and then falling onto the broken platform below but it didn't really leave much of an impresion on me because unlike other things like the dream world it didn't really have a huge impact on the pokemon games. Besides other non-Pokemon games like Mario have done this better. It wasn't even a new concept to begin with. Gen 4 was only good for HGSS and the pokewalker, other than that it was the most boring gen.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
You did say it was deep but that isn't really the point. The dimensional space-time thing only featured in the plot for like 5 minutes, right at the very end. And only in Platinum... Sure it was kinda cool walking along with Cynthia and then falling onto the broken platform below but it didn't really leave much of an impresion on me because unlike other things like the dream world it didn't really have a huge impact on the pokemon games. Besides other non-Pokemon games like Mario have done this better. It wasn't even a new concept to begin with. Gen 4 was only good for HGSS and the pokewalker, other than that it was the most boring gen.

The entire Team Galactic was revolving qround Dimensional Space Time, in DPPt.

And the Distortion World was onlymthere for ten minutes at the climax, which had no indication at the plot anyway, and was not technically at the end.

I also said it was deep, then commenting that Gen V wasn't like that.

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!
Lol guys people having their own opinions so try not to shove it down their throats.

I personally think that Gen Five well... was a bit... not gonna say boring, but more tame. There was nothing ground-breaking like what the other gens introduced. Gen I introduced... well, Pokemon. Gen II gave the Special Split, Gen III brought abilities and EVs/IVs (I think) to the table, Gen IV introduced the Physical/Special Split, which made some moves more viable than others. Gen V... well, one can argue that it brought Dream World Abilities, but that was an add-on to the already implemented feature in Abilities. While three abilities is a fistful to choose from, it still isn't really that "groundbreaking".

As for the games itself, it really broke tradition. The usual rock type gym was banished into the deepest container, and brought new ideas in terms of a trio-leader, and a properly-recognised Sequel. Gen V also brought cool-jelly stuff to the table, such as 3D, enhancement in breeding mechanics, new type combinations and an "isolation" where no older pokemon could be caught as well as the last trainer to be fought before the main story is completed not a champion, seasons and more. Black 2 and White 2 brought even more features in the form of PWT - able to battle all gym leaders -, further enhancements in breeding and aspects of shiny hunting, expanded area from the previous BW as well as the ability to catch multiple old legendaries: Regi trio, Lake trio, Lati@s... Hidden Grotto also is another breakthrough, giving a free-legit way to farm DW Pokemon in-game.

Overall, IMO, 5th Gen is definitely a fast-paced gen. Despite it not introducing HUGE mechanic changes to the table, it'll still be considered as a good gen (say all you want genwunners) and BW2 is considered some of the best games by many.~

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
I think Gen V will be remembered, among other things, for the new lease on life it gave to many of the older Pokemon through Hidden Abilities.

The Dream World had an absolutely huge impact on the metagame. Pokemon that were never used whatsoever all of a sudden became viable. And I'm not just looking at the obvious Politoed and Ninetales here, Pokemon like Butterfree, which was an absolute joke prior to Gen V, was given Tinted Lens and Quiver dance and, hey presto, suddenly it has potential to be a sweeper?. Sableye came back from the dead to be a havoc-wreaking little imp thanks to Prankster being added to its already nice collection of status moves. Blaziken got sent to ubers, all kinds of crazy things happened because of the Dream World! Whether you're for these changes or you absolutely hated them, you have to admit that a lot of stuff changed thanks to that collection of internet side-games!

Agreed, along with the eviolite. Who woulda thought Chansey and blissey would actually be fighting for dominance in the metagame?

Hilda

Garbardor is fine, but Vanniluxe...... why did they take a consumable thing and out eyes on it? I mean, a trash bag does make sense to an extent (mutation out of the filth and such), but Vani has a very strange shape for something that is supposed to be alive and the connotation behind it is very strange for a Pokémon. IT is like putting gogly eyes on a sock, or a pencil.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Garbardor is fine, but Vanniluxe...... why did they take a consumable thing and out eyes on it? I mean, a trash bag does make sense to an extent (mutation out of the filth and such), but Vani has a very strange shape for something that is supposed to be alive and the connotation behind it is very strange for a Pokémon. IT is like putting gogly eyes on a sock, or a pencil.

Vanillite is a mutant too, at least according to the Pokedex. It cloaks itself in snow and, by coincidence, resembles what we call ice cream. Presumably, the people in the Pokemon world (that place really needs a name) were inspired to create ice cream in the shape of Vanillite because it's an Ice-type and they figured that such an appearance would be fitting for a chilled treat. Kinda like how we have ice cream designed to look like cartoon characters, only under a more clever logic.

Regardless, you could say the same thing about Exeggcute or Cherubi. Using food as the basis for a Pokemon design does have a precedence.

Last edited: