• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen1 Pokemon that actually look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
The first generation had bad graphics. Still, there are some interesting designs. Which do you like?

Shymain

Shaymin Lover
Jolteon and Zapdos have very cool designs, and are actually quite good... But just when I start to think that Gen 1 sprites might not be so bad, I catch sight of Mew again...

Kalosian

So long
If it is about the Sprites, I thought Abra, Nidoqueen and Magikarp looked pretty good in Red & Blue. For Yellow, I like Mewtwo, Weepinbell and Arbok.

Ver-mont

Wait, you're talking about designs themselves or just sprites? Because of course there are lots of Gen I Pokémon that look good in terms of design.

Psychic

Really and truly
Since this is the first generation games subforum, let's stick with R/G/B/Y sprite designs only.

There were a few decent R/B sprites like Dragonfree and Lapras, but don't get too close to Exeggutor...*shudders* Yellow was a huge improvement, to say the least.

~Psychic

Shymain

Shaymin Lover
Since this is the first generation games subforum, let's stick with R/G/B/Y sprite designs only.

There were a few decent R/B sprites like Dragonfree and Lapras, but don't get too close to Exeggutor...*shudders* Yellow was a huge improvement, to say the least.

~Psychic

We are sticking to R/B/G/Y. The Mew sprite was listed with the yellow sprites... Or was that not what you were referring to?

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Well, just saying "all of the Yellow sprites" is cheap, so... hmm...

Clefairy. Totally Clefairy. Meowth isn't too bad-looking, either. Then of course, Tentacruel looks so freakin' badass, I just have to include it. And I don't mind Magikarp.

So there's a few.

Charizard in yellow looks pretty freakin awesome.

I also really liked the haunter sprite from RGBY, but that's just me, I love me some Haunter :D

Anima

-randomly sifts through the first gen sprites- For some reason they flipped the position of Koffing's face and the poison park. He looks like he's upside down in red/blue.

Green Mew looks like it has a tumor protruding from it's head o_O;

Otherwise, a lot of the pokemon don't look too bad. Clefable looks absolutely adorable in yellow.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I thought Pikachu's Red/Blue sprite was cute; I still think it would have looked better if it had kept the same belly in future sprites, but maybe it's just me. Its Japanese Red and Green sprite was even cuter thanks to the pose. I also liked Mew's R/B sprite since it actually looked nice and not monstrous like some of the other Red and Blue version sprites.

Crystal6

Gen.2 Shiny Breeder
Does Green count? Because if it does, I think the original image for Mewtwo was the best he ever looked on a handheld.

On the flip side, Mew looked quite disturbing in the original... it had the best pokedex entry there though.

pacman000

Yes, Green counts.
Green's Mewtwo sprite looks good, as do Green's Koffing, Syther, Pikachu, and Garados sprites.

Last edited:

silverangel

Metal Fairy
Gastly actually looks cool, and emphasizes that it really is just a cloud of gas, not a sphere surrounded by gas.

Ivysaur and Sandshrew are actually really, really cute in the old graphics.

And I prefer Kakuna with arms.

Nephilim

Muffin Button Master
Not really a fan of the sprites used in R/B/G/Y. At the time, they were pretty great. But now, after all the updated versions, the originals just look pretty bland :/

pacman000

I actually like Golbat's sprite. Sure it's crazy, but that's what's so cool about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.