1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Gen8 starter Pokemon what do you want to see?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation 8 Discussion' started by paipr_christian, Jun 17, 2018.

1. paipr_christian

paipr_christian grass type fan.

We are gonna see more. But I do agree the trend is wearing on me. Specially for some animals. I don't mind so much Delphox as we a, already have a quadrupedal fire Fox and b, it least 2/3 of the line is fantastic.

Far as emboar goes, I gotta gree. And I say this as someone that actually loves the fire bearded pig, it should've stayed on all 4s. (And I did say bear in that post you mentioned, although a Grass pig starter could be loads of fun).

We do need more unique designs and not rely on this new trend of making all starters look like animal people. Honestly for the last few gens the starters final forms could be like fantastical humanoid speices living in fantasy towns speaking with European accents and what not.

Nodame likes this.
  2. DSDark

DSDark Rockin

I'd like a Fire/Fairy Rabbit or Sheep but preferably a rabbit

3. Nodame

Nodame Cute Pokemon only

Also we don’t need Bears as well. We have many that are non starters. I am not ready for another ugliness like Ursaring.

What I want to see:
    1- Pony /unicorn with wings starter
    2- Bunny
    3- Platypus
    4- Lion. We don’t have a proper lion Pokémon

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018 at 9:44 AM
  4. DannyDiglett

DannyDiglett Well-Known Member

Pyroar says hi! ;)

5. Nodame

Nodame Cute Pokemon only

I said “proper”. Obviously Pyroar’s design is not that appealing, I won’t count it :p

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018 at 10:45 AM
  6. DSDark

DSDark Rockin

Pyroar is a proper lion, look at it, it has a fire blast mane. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not a proper lion.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018 at 12:46 PM
    Orphalesion likes this.
  7. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Well-Known Member

^ This. And there's Solgaleo as well. So we even have a legendary lion and a non-legendary lion.

However, there's also nothing wrong with another lion pokemon, theoretically. Maybe not this generation, since the last two generations gave us one each, but sometime in the future?

DSDark likes this.
  8. paipr_christian

As a fan of pyroar I'm sad to hear you say this.

And this....

That being said I want a Grass cat starter. My favorite animals are cats, and favorite type is Grass. And you know what could work for a Grass cat Pokemon. A dandelion.... A dandelion.

The kicker for my idea is that it start as a standard lion cub, and then the second stage have the full yellow mane. It's final stage would ditch the yellow main for the white fluffy seed like look. At which point it become Grass/Electric type.

It can release it seems to act as conductors and relays.

.Aerodactyl. and DBK like this.
  9. Nodame

Nodame Cute Pokemon only

^ wow I love your idea!

And sorry Pyroar fans :(

10. .Aerodactyl.

.Aerodactyl. Well-Known Member

Are we allowed to bring up "leaks"? There's one going around right now I like (I bring it up not because I think it's real but because I like the design and mythos behind them.)
    [​IMG]

I did a lot of research trying to match the designs to figure out typing. Think the grass one is a raccoon dog, based off a Japanese Yokai, Owarezaka. (Story involves a talking log/stump that if you split the log in two, the raccoon dog will reveal it's true form and apologize. That's exactly what the image looks like to me, a log cut in two and a raccoon dog). I could see it being Grass/Dark because the folklore describes the yokai as a trickster. I think it would be a great typing, since we've only seen it with Cacturne, Shiftry and Nuzleaf. I could see it having that very cool, sleek design like greninja and Decidueye.

The snake I think is based off the horned serpent from Native American folklore. The horned serpent is said to be very hypnotic, they have horns on their head as well as a diamond on their forehead (just like this snake!). They are considered water snakes, but are also said to have scales that "shine like sparks of fire". They are also linked to lightning, thunder and storms. I could see it being Fire/Electric because of the mythos around the horned serpent, which would be an awesome and unique typing we've never had! I could see it having a very elegant look, like Primarina and Delphox. I don't see it being super anthropomorphic like the past two generations of starters.

The bear I think is also linked to Native American culture and the spirit bear. The spirit bear is based on a real animal, a rare colour of black bear where they are born white (but not albino, they have dark eyes, nose and paw pads). They are symbols of peace and harmony, as well as being reminders of the past of ice and snow. I could see it being a Water/Ghost type, also a Water/Ice but I like Water/Ghost more because it's more unique. I think it will stay bipedal and be the most anthropomorphic of the three. I expect it to have a tough, bulky design like Chesnaught and Incenaroar.

Again, I don't think these are real, but I bring them up because they are great examples of what I want to see. I don't care so much about what animals they are at this point, only that I like surprising choices like a raccoon dog, but I want to see unique and underused type combinations, as well as cool mythos and background behind the designs. I would like to see final stages that are a bit more monstrous and beast like, as opposed to the anthropomorphic style we've gotten the past two gens. I miss having a monster of a starter that felt more like an animal. (I would love if they actually had split final evolutions as something completely different and it was based on which version of the game you got, but I don't know if gamefreak would ever do that)

11. UD1

UD1 Member

That grass-type reminds me of an armadillo. If there ever where an armadillo pokemon, I don't think grass would be the way to go. Maybe ground-type like its pangolin inspired brethren sandshrew and sandslash.

12. .Aerodactyl.

I think it has subtle armadillo vibes as well, but I think it looks more like a badger with its tail and snout shape (which lead me to the raccoon dog, and then the Yokai with the log which I think is what the design is based off. It's just too specific and similar not to be that in my mind). Chesnaught's line also had nods to armadillos, but I don't think that means they can't do it again differently.

Do you think a Fire/Electric would have too much of an advantage, since it beats both grass and water? Or would game freak even really care? Alternatively, I wouldn't mind a Grass/Electric either like the Dandelion idea.

13. Kirby Dragons

Kirby Dragons Well-Known Member

One of my Fakemon starters is extremely close to this. It starts off as Dandylion, who has a yellow dandelion mane and a thick stem for a body. The second stage, Majesseed, has a white dandelion mane, with a single seed on its tail. It has the stance of a T-rex. The final stage, Tameraxa, has no mane, but has a yellow dandelion on its tail where the seed was.

None of them had arms. Limber was the line's hidden ability, and Tameraxa also introduced a move called Dandelion Seeds that inflicted confusion.

14. paipr_christian

I def think the grass is meant to be an armadillo. Fire is a desert snake, and water is a bear.

I was talking to someone about these and we came up with a trio whose final forms are based on branches of military.

Grass/Steel final form, armadillo. Based on ground combat, it becomes a bit of an armored dank, quadrupedal and firing off energy balls and gyroball ball shots.

Fire/Ground final form, snake. Based on "naval " combat. It dives underground like a submarine to strike from below. It's Cobra hood looks like stained glass as it's made from sand it burned.

Water/Rock final form, bear. Based on Arial combat. The rocks it carries are unique as they float, it shoots blasts of water to fly around on them and attack with attacks from above.

15. DSDark

DSDark Rockin

[​IMG]
    I'd still like to see these guys be the starters. Simple design with character

16. paipr_christian

Gotta agree with ya, although I wasn't a huge fan of the artists final form concepts. These three would make awesome base forms for a new starter trio.

(Side note for those that don't know, that water platypus will be making it into a monster game, just not Pokemon.)

17. Orphalesion

Well, imho fakes are a fun way to pass the time.

As those those three...the designs are terrible Particularly the snake. The Bear is sorta cute, but I think the colours are off somehow. They look more like designs from a mobile game than genuine Pokemon.

Yeah those ones were actually good enough to pass for the real thing, especially the Platypus, I wish it was real.

18. paipr_christian

100% agree. I'd say a large part of my enjoyment of new games is the lead up, between speculation, fakes, rumors, and what not.

I loved Gen5, and all the silhouettes that lead to fans filling them in with their own "what ifs".

.Aerodactyl. and Orphalesion like this.
  19. Orphalesion

It would be awesome if we get riddles again. Gamefreak could probably build a lot of hype if they created their own "semi-official" riddles and stuff.

20. .Aerodactyl.

I loved gen 5 silhouettes! I've always wanted them to do it again :)

I personally think the fakes with the snake actually look really good. They look more professionally than the other leaks pictured, at least to me. The designs are certainly different...but I would have said the same thing about Litten if saw it before it was officially announced. Mostly, I like ththe effort put in the design and the mythos.