• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen8 starter Pokemon what do you want to see?

World Turtle

Isn't there that theory that the Starters have been doing a Fighter (Chesnaught, Incineroar), Mage (Delphix, Primarina), and Thief (Greninja, Decidueye) set up and that Gen 8 will continue it?

If they're rotating the classes between the types then by process of elimination it'd be Grass Mage, Fire Thief, and Water Fighter right?

Any hopes or ideas for that?

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
I've heard that, but I feel some connections are a stretch.

Decidueye is an archer. That doesn't imply thievery. Sure, you could argue it's based off of Robin Hood, but outside of the green coloration and choice of weapon, there's nothing really connecting the two.

And Primarina isn't a mage, it's a songstress. If people are gonna label it with an RPG class, use one that uses songs or something. It's definitely magical, but not to same extent as an actual mage.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Isn't there that theory that the Starters have been doing a Fighter (Chesnaught, Incineroar), Mage (Delphix, Primarina), and Thief (Greninja, Decidueye) set up and that Gen 8 will continue it?

If they're rotating the classes between the types then by process of elimination it'd be Grass Mage, Fire Thief, and Water Fighter right?

The closest thing to that I've heard is the theory that we have Brawlers (Chesnaught, Incineroar) Stealthy (Greninja, Decidueye) and Feminine (Delphox, Primarina).

I suppose you could rephrase the later to be magic users. With Delphox using psychic powers to better control it's fire magic. And Primarina uses sound (like a bard or siren) to power up it's water magic.

Another way to look at it would be Heavy/Precise/Special.
-With the the heavy fighters (Chesnaught/Incineroar) being about heavy/strong/blunt force attacks, sorta like those classic "big guy" attackers.
-Precise (Greninja, Decidueye) use precise attacks, that while not as blunt force as the heavy hitters, still are capable of dealing good damage. Additionally while able to attack close, both also can attack from a distance (Greninja's shurikin, Decidueye's arrows).
-Then with Special (Delphox, Primarina) again they are using unique, no traditional ways of attacking. Delphox using magic, and Primarina using sound.

Or to use another franchises trio to discribe them, Titan, Hunter, Warlock.

Orphalesion

People just always try to cram everything into patterns and categories and if they encounter something that doesn't fit their theory then they just adapt it to make it fit.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
People just always try to cram everything into patterns and categories and if they encounter something that doesn't fit their theory then they just adapt it to make it fit.

Yeah people are funny that way.

So for the Grass mage Iim gonna borrow the tanuki idea, and combo that with a thought. Delphox uses more direct magic, Primarina is sound magic. So the Tanuki will uses status magic. Make it Grass/Dark or Grass/Electric and combo its design with fungus or mushrooms.

For the fire thief, let's just make it a thief. But base it on a desert snake. Fire/Ground or Fire/RRock.Specficallythe horned desert vipers. They hide in the sand and strike. It could use it's tail like a whip (possibly letting it be the second Pokemon to learn Fire Lash) and hide to steal from travelers.

For the water fighter I could see several options. I wanna say let's get a water beaver, and evolve it into a Water/Ice type. Let it use it's tail for strong smashing attacks and it's strong teeth for powerful biting.

Orphalesion

A fire snake simply has to evolve into a humanoid Naga that is Fire/Fighting. Just to see everyone's reaction.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
A fire snake simply has to evolve into a humanoid Naga that is Fire/Fighting. Just to see everyone's reaction.

I'd actually prefer a snake to evolve into a Naga in general, ideally staying away from /Fighting regardless of it's other type.

That said I'd love a /Fighting type snake that specializes grabs and holds and doesn't gain arms/legs.

Orphalesion

I'd actually prefer a snake to evolve into a Naga in general, ideally staying away from /Fighting regardless of it's other type.

That said I'd love a /Fighting type snake that specializes grabs and holds and doesn't gain arms/legs.

Well I said that mostly because people sometimes say they hope for a fire starter that's a snake because it couldn't become humanoid or a fighting type, so i'd find it super hilarious if they made a snake fire starter and then have it turn into a Fire/Fighting Naga in the final evolution. It'd be glorious.

But yeah, they could do a lot with a fire naga, like Fire/Poison or Fire/Psychic.

DSDark

Breeder
The closest thing to that I've heard is the theory that we have Brawlers (Chesnaught, Incineroar) Stealthy (Greninja, Decidueye) and Feminine (Delphox, Primarina).

I suppose you could rephrase the later to be magic users. With Delphox using psychic powers to better control it's fire magic. And Primarina uses sound (like a bard or siren) to power up it's water magic.

Another way to look at it would be Heavy/Precise/Special.
-With the the heavy fighters (Chesnaught/Incineroar) being about heavy/strong/blunt force attacks, sorta like those classic "big guy" attackers.
-Precise (Greninja, Decidueye) use precise attacks, that while not as blunt force as the heavy hitters, still are capable of dealing good damage. Additionally while able to attack close, both also can attack from a distance (Greninja's shurikin, Decidueye's arrows).
-Then with Special (Delphox, Primarina) again they are using unique, no traditional ways of attacking. Delphox using magic, and Primarina using sound.

Or to use another franchises trio to discribe them, Titan, Hunter, Warlock.

I can get completely behind this idea. That would put gen 8 starters as

Heavy hitter: Water. I could see a platypus or a beaver

Precise: Fire. A rabbit would work here nicely

Special: Grass. Not honestly sure. Mind go Grass/Psychic and have it attack with it's mind.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Special: Grass. Not honestly sure. Mind go Grass/Psychic and have it attack with it's mind.

What if we go with an idea several of us have kicked around and have it be Grass/Electric, using it's ability to absorb energy from the sun and converting it to electricity?

DSDark

Breeder
What if we go with an idea several of us have kicked around and have it be Grass/Electric, using it's ability to absorb energy from the sun and converting it to electricity?

That would be cool. Grass/Electric though would pose some problems for the water starter. Could be done but they've seemingly tried to have the secondary typing balance out the starters, unless you look at gen 6 where everything was weak to both types.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
The "pattern" I've noticed for the starters that's arguably been a thing since Gen V seems to be moreso one starter that's tough (Emboar/Chesnaught/Incineroar), one starter that's cool/edgy (Samurott/Greninja/Decidueye), and one starter that's beautiful (Serperior/Delphox/Primarina). If this pattern is actually a thing, then it suggests the Grass starter will be the beautiful/feminine one, the Fire starter will be the cool/edgy one, and the Water starter will be the tough/masculine one.

Then again, I don't know if I put much stock in patterns like this. After all, this "pattern" only became more obvious in Gens VI and VII, and two does not make a pattern.

Something else I recently noticed about the starters to look out for is that, marketing-wise, it seems like it's the starter with the Japanese or Asian influences in its design that gets pushed the hardest or is "favored" by Game Freak.
- Incineroar is the clear favorite of Gen VII, and its design is in part a reference to the classic anime series Tiger Mask
- Greninja was the very clear favorite of Gen VI. The fact that it's a ninja and a frog is a reference to The Tale of the Gallant Jiraiya
-
I'd argue that Infernape and Emboar were the favorites of their generations, and both are, in part, references to characters from Journey to the West

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
- I'd argue that Infernape and Emboar were the favorites of their generations, and both are, in part, references to characters from Journey to the West

I'd say Infernape is a favorite but if anything tied with Empoleon.... Although I think all three Gen4 starters are pretty equally appreciated to some degree.

The same can be said of gen5, but in a negative way. For the most part I think all three final stages are not very appreciated. And sure there are fans, but it says alot that they didn't feel pressed to let a single one of Ash's three starters reach a final stage.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
I'd say Infernape is a favorite but if anything tied with Empoleon.... Although I think all three Gen4 starters are pretty equally appreciated to some degree.

The same can be said of gen5, but in a negative way. For the most part I think all three final stages are not very appreciated. And sure there are fans, but it says alot that they didn't feel pressed to let a single one of Ash's three starters reach a final stage.
I'm not talking about fan favorites here.

What I mean is, there always seems to be one starter in almost every generation that GF tends to play favorites with. I'll agree that it's more obvious in some generations than in others (Charizard is definitely GF's favorite of the Kanto starters, for example), but I still think this favoritism exists in every generation except Gen II.

I'll agree that it's less obvious in Gens IV and V, but I still think it exists. Like, Infernape is one of Ash's best-treated Pokemon in the entire anime, let alone just the DP series, and was competitively the best of the three starters at the time. On the other hand, Piplup was treated as mere comic relief, and both of its evolutions were reduced to being owned by rivals, while Turtwig really faded down the stretch, and Torterra was really bad competitively. In Gen V, the Tepig line had way more screentime than the other two in the anime (by contrast, Oshawott was reduced to mere comic relief, Snivy was pretty static overall, both are considered two of Ash's weakest Pokemon overall, and both of their evolutions were owned by unpopular rivals). Plus, Tepig was the only starter to gain a secondary typing when evolving, Black's canon starter in the manga and Nate's starter in the trailers for BW2. And while I know it's not really saying much, I'm pretty sure Emboar was competitively the best of the three at the time (though I'll grant this is due to Contrary Serperior not existing at the time).

I'll agree that Infernape and Emboar aren't exactly the obvious favorites like Charizard, Greninja, or Incineroar, but I still definitely think GF favored them over the other two in their generations.

World Turtle

I'd like to see Starters with dual typings that are contradictory or opposites.

Grass/Steel: Organic and Inorganic

Fire/Ice: Hot and Cold

Water/Ground: Wet and Dry (okay the Mudkip line did this one already, but it was either Ground or Fire and I wanted to make sure the typings didn't overlap) Though maybe Water/Poison could work? In the sense we drink water to stay hydrated/healthy, but if we drink Poison we become sick/die.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I'd like to see Starters with dual typings that are contradictory or opposites.

Grass/Steel: Organic and Inorganic

Fire/Ice: Hot and Cold

Water/Ground: Wet and Dry (okay the Mudkip line did this one already, but it was either Ground or Fire and I wanted to make sure the typings didn't overlap) Though maybe Water/Poison could work? In the sense we drink water to stay hydrated/healthy, but if we drink Poison we become sick/die.

You could do Water/Electric maybe. They seem to contradict pretty good (to the point I feel like both should be weak to each other). Water shorts out electric stuff, and electric stuff shocks things in the water.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
So random idea popped into my head for a Pokemon.... I think it be a fun starter but could work easy enough for a regular Pokemon.

Snakindle-->Vipyro--->Tempolyceph
Fire->Fire-->Fire/Ice

Blaze HA:

HP:70
Att:105
Def:70
S.Att:105
S.Def:70
Spd:110

Snakindle, The Fire Snake Pokemon. Snakindle make there homes in the hottest of deserts. They are most active during mid day where they can be seen rolling down large sand dunes. The closer they are to evolving the large the dune they will roll down.

Vipryo, The Fire Snake Pokemon.
It's said that the bite from a Vipryo can can cause a reaction similiar to a burn. Researchers have used thier poisons to develop both Burn cures and Poison cures that are used world wide on people and Pokemon alike.

Tempolyceph, The Twin Head Pokemon. Although they have two heads they are incredibly like minded. Research shows that what one head knows the other does as well. The left head is known as the hot head, and the right the cool head.

The final stage is a 2 headed snake. It's body has stripes, with one being a reddish orange and the other stripe a blueish white. It has a hood like a cobra, split with the heads. It's left head is the reddish orange color with the inside of the hood being a lighter orange color. The right head is the blueish white, with the inside of the hood being white. Each head has one horn on the outside (left on left, right on right) of it's head.

captainfez3

The Chill Trainer
Is there anyone else who would like to see them drop the starter Pokemon altogether? I mean, especially if we are going to see catch mechanics like the ones in Let's Go come over to the mainline games, which isn't to say we will, but if they did, I would like to not get a starter and making the starters rare spawns in the game, similar to Let's Go.

I feel like the starter Pokemon was an easy gimmick to prime you to feel a sensation of connection with the Pokemon, in addition to the theme being prominent in the game world, and now that the relationship mechanic with Pokemon has been continually tweaked and technology has allowed more personality in these creatures, there is part of me that wants to see a much more organic game, somewhat similar to what Nintendo did with Breath of the Wild. Make us journey to some central location where the professors lab is at the start of the game to get our Pokedex and then cut us loose to pursue the major game paths.

I have a veritable horde of gaming idiosyncracies and being "consistent" is one of them, and I can never truly bring myself to remove my starter from my team, even if I would want to do a mono-type or just wasn't really wild about the starters that gen. I feel that connection because that was the first Pokemon the game gave me and it made a big deal out of it, and I resonate with that, you and me against the world type of journey, and it doesn't feel the same without the starter. I would really like to be able to start a Pokemon game where the first major decision you make is, what do I go after first?

I think it would make for a good introduction as well. When our PC is brought to the lab, we could be offered courses covering the basics, such as catching, move sets, Pokemon types, type match-ups, etc., that we can choose to forego if we already know it. When the professor hands over the Pokedex, you could be given a quick run down of the major ecosystems outside of the surrounding area and then be given 50 Poke Balls and just head out on your own.

Last edited: