• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen8 starter Pokemon what do you want to see?

captainfez3

The Chill Trainer
So random idea popped into my head for a Pokemon.... I think it be a fun starter but could work easy enough for a regular Pokemon.

Snakindle-->Vipyro--->Tempolyceph
Fire->Fire-->Fire/Ice

Wouldn't that make him a water type XD

Sorry couldn't resist. I like the twin head idea. I also like the idea of a fire type that is vulnerable to fire types, and giving Freeze Dry in the moveset would be interesting as well, leaving him vulnerable to water but still effective against it. That would be an interesting trend. Giving each starter a STAB move that is super-effective against their weak-type but still leave them vulnerable to it. That's basically what they did in X and Y, but it is slightly different, since the secondary type was just a counter to the weak-types secondary type.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
The only types that have not been seen on a fully evolved starter are Bug, Electric, Ice, Normal, Rock, and if Megas don't count, Dragon.

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I’d like a Fire type ram. That’s an instant win over for me

Acer11

The only types that have not been seen on a fully evolved starter are Electric, Ice, Normal, Rock, and if Megas don't count, Dragon.
Well, I don't think any starter would have Normal or Electric types is because we have Pikachu and Eevee (though technically not starter Pokemon, they were partner Pokemon in the recent games.)

KKS-Lapras

A Grass/Bug starter would be interesting, maybe another Ant based Pokemon.

Fire/Ice as suggested above by others would be cool, but I have a hard time thinking what it would be based on.

A Water/Dragon type, I don't know why, but something similar to Mushu from Mulan comes to mind.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
A Grass/Bug starter would be interesting, maybe another Ant based Pokemon.

While I love the idea of a Bug starter, and honestly there are soooo many great options for a Grass/Bug type that haven't been used yet..... It have soooo many weeknesses...

Fire/Ice as suggested above by others would be cool, but I have a hard time thinking what it would be based on.

This is a fun combo with options. Besides the 2 headed snake idea I mentioned recently, an old one I had was a Koala (Coldala) that heats and cools it's food.

A Water/Dragon type, I don't know why, but something similar to Mushu from Mulan comes to mind.

This be a fun combo too. And I'd be curious to see how they make it happen with a starter.

KKS-Lapras

While I love the idea of a Bug starter, and honestly there are soooo many great options for a Grass/Bug type that haven't been used yet..... It have soooo many weeknesses...

This is a fun combo with options. Besides the 2 headed snake idea I mentioned recently, an old one I had was a Koala (Coldala) that heats and cools it's food.

This be a fun combo too. And I'd be curious to see how they make it happen with a starter.

I don't care about weaknesses, that should not be a consideration for creating Pokemon generally.

DSDark

Breeder
I'm still hoping for

Grass/
Fire/Fairy
Water
I don't care about weaknesses, that should not be a consideration for creating Pokemon generally.

It should be consideration in starter pokemon. The idea behind a starter is that they are all mostly equal. If one has a clear advantage then battling between starters becomes unfair. I know swampert is 4x weak to sceptile, but that's the only time that's happened.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.

I hear ya, and I mostly agree.... But even then Grass/Bug is a rough combo.

But a fun design with a decent movepool and stats can shine regardless.

I'm still hoping for

Grass/
Fire/Fairy
Water

....are you saying you want money Grass, mono water and Fire/Fairy.....

Or just that you really want Fire/Fairy and don't care about the other two as much?

DSDark

Breeder
I hear ya, and I mostly agree.... But even then Grass/Bug is a rough combo.

But a fun design with a decent movepool and stats can shine regardless.

....are you saying you want money Grass, mono water and Fire/Fairy.....

Or just that you really want Fire/Fairy and don't care about the other two as much?

Still trying to figure out what I'd like from grass and water

ReneEnjolras

Explorer of Ruins
I want a legitimate plant for the Grass starter. One of my previous posts in this thread had the exact plant, but I'm too lazy to go back several pages just to find and quote that post.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I want a legitimate plant for the Grass starter. One of my previous posts in this thread had the exact plant, but I'm too lazy to go back several pages just to find and quote that post.

Like plant and no animal inspiration mixed in?

Still trying to figure out what I'd like from grass and water

Yeah I wavered so much in what I'd like but I know I want them to use combos that haven't been used with starters, ideally using secondary types not used in starters (non M.Evis, so a /Dragon be swell too).

ReneEnjolras

Explorer of Ruins
Like plant and no animal inspiration mixed in?
Yes. I would be fine with a little animal though. My dream Grass starter is based off the Chocolate Soldier fuzzy cactus, with bits of dragon in there. But that's just me.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Yes. I would be fine with a little animal though. My dream Grass starter is based off the Chocolate Soldier fuzzy cactus, with bits of dragon in there. But that's just me.

Cactus, fruit, or fungus. Those three plants should be appartments of (separate) starters at some point.

ReneEnjolras

Explorer of Ruins
A fungus starter... Now that would be interesting.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
A fungus starter... Now that would be interesting.

Agreed. I keep cycling between fungus/mushroom, cactus, and fruit. Can't decide which I want more.

All I know is if we get a fungus/mushroom starter please don't make it /Poison. I'd love to see a Grass/Dark or more ideal Grass/Electric fungus starter.