• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen8 starter Pokemon what do you want to see?

wolf jani

The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts
Scorbunny is my favorite out of these 3. It's my 2nd favorite fire starter.
Sobubble is adorable too.
Grookey looks kind of dumb tbh. It might even be my new least favorite grass starter.

As for typing. I think Grookey's final evolution will be Grass/Fightning or maybe Grass/Rock or pure grass. Scorbunny's will be either pure fire, Fire/Electric or Fire/Fairy.
Sobubble's will either be pure water or water/Dragon.

The most likely in my opinion is. Grass/Fightning, Fire/Electric and Water/Dragon.

quake

Ok they all look great this time around! But it always depends on the last evolution before I fully decide!

R Leon

I see they are still doing the Chinese Zodiac thing on the fire starter eh. Look its a bunny this time.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Love grookey

Love how it uses the stick as a tool..... I want it to end up Grass/Rock.... With the stick becoming a big Rocky hammer.

Red and Blue

Scorbunny! And the Chinese zodiac tradition continues. Can we really call it a coincidence now?

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
My guesses for final stages:
Scorbunny: Makes most sense with Fire/Fighting, but will probably end up Fire/Ground or Fire/Electric.
Grookey: Makes most sense with Grass/Fighting, but will probably end up Grass/Rock or Grass/Dark.
Sobble: Makes most sense with Water/Ground, but will probably end up Water/Poison or Water/Dark.

In terms of inspirations:
*Scorbunny is based on an European hare, which was commonly hunted in UK before it was banned.
*Sobble is a veiled chameleon, which is a common pet chameleon. Its aquatic theme is likely inspired by British salamanders.
*Grookey maybe based off capuchin monkey which was also historically used as a help animal. Its presence as a starter is probably a reference to barbary macaques of Gibraltar, though those don't have long tails.
Edit: Grookey maybe based off marmoset as XXD17 said.

Last edited:

CyberBlaziken

A Greater Evil
Well, they look better than the Unova Starters, so I guess that's fine for me as of now.

I hope they have better designed latter stages so I don't feel put off by the starters throughout my run through the game.

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
Love Sobble and Grookey is my second favorite.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
In terms of starters( 1st evolution) this is my rank:
1.Bulbasaur > Charmander > Squirtle( I like him the least)
2. Totodile > Cyndaquil > Chikorita( I am not really into more "female-ish" look of Pokemon)
3.Mudkip > Treeko > Torchic( it seems bland compared to Mudkip/Treeko; funny how I like Blaziken but dislike Torchic)
4.Chimchar > Turtwig > Piplup( its face is annoying like in anime's; funny how I like Empoleon but hate Piplup)
5.Tepig > Oshawott > Snivy( same as Chikorita, but I like Serperior, but I dislike Meganium)
6.Froakie > Chespin > Fennekin(literally same as Chikorita, I dislike even Delphox)
7. Rowlet > Litten > Popplio(I like him the least but I dislike Primarina and Brionne lol)
8. Grookey > Sobble > Scorbunny ( It seems bland compared to Grookey and Sobble, hopefully final evo is like Torchic line)

2dtyplosion

So based on what little info we have about the starters right now I'd have to guess their typings end up being.

Grooky Grass/dark said to be mischievious
Scorbunny Fire/electric said to have endless energy
Sobble water/ghost nothing concrete but he does go invisible in the trailer. Gives me Decidueye vibes.

KKS-Lapras

So based on what little info we have about the starters right now I'd have to guess their typings end up being.

Grooky Grass/dark said to be mischievious
Scorbunny Fire/electric said to have endless energy
Sobble water/ghost nothing concrete but he does go invisible in the trailer. Gives me Decidueye vibes.

The first thing I thought when Sobble's invisibility was displayed was part Ghost type.

XXD17

Draco rex
My guesses for final stages:
Scorbunny: Makes most sense with Fire/Fighting, but will probably end up Fire/Ground or Fire/Electric.
Grookey: Makes most sense with Grass/Fighting, but will probably end up Grass/Rock or Grass/Dark.
Sobble: Makes most sense with Water/Ground, but will probably end up Water/Poison or Water/Dark.

In terms of inspirations:
*Scorbunny is based on an European hare, which was commonly hunted in UK before it was banned.
*Sobble is a veiled chameleon, which is a common pet chameleon. Its aquatic theme is likely inspired by British salamanders.
*Grookey maybe based off capuchin monkey which was also historically used as a help animal. Its presence as a starter is probably a reference to barbary macaques of Gibraltar, though those don't have long tails.

I thought grookey is a marmoset? Its French name suggests this.

Sword_Shield_Stan

Don't Height Greightness
I'd like to see Scorbunny's final evo be fire/fairy. I think it would be a cool opposite direction from Incineroar being fire/dark and I think the bright and happy disposition fairy types seem to match Scorbunny. I see fire/electric is highly speculated for Scorbunny's final evo and I could see that being the case. I wouldn't be disappointed if it ends up being fire/electric

Last edited:

Acer11

I'd like to see Scorbunny's final evo be fire/fairy. I think it would be a cool opposite direction from Incineroar being fire/dark and I think the bright and happy disposition fairy types seem to be matches Scorbunny. I see fire/electric is highly speculated for Scorbunny's final evo and I could see that being the case. I wouldn't be disappointed if it ends up being fire/electric
Hope it retains it's high speed in it's evolutions.

KKS-Lapras

The fire bunny is mine <3

I just wanted to say, I love the starter trio in your signature!

I don't know what Grooky would end up with as a potential second typing. Scorbunny, I lean towards either Fire/Electric if they want to focus on speed which for some reason strikes me as fitting for that starter, or Speed isn't the focus then Fire/Steel, and the reason I say that is the first shot we were given of Scorbunny running on the metal cogs. Sobble, Water/Ghost jumped out to me instantly, the invisibility or camouflage technique jumped out in my mind in that direction, and I say that knowing fully well that it's based on someone type of Gecko or other such creature in which camouflage is a common feature, and also knowing fully well that Pokemon like Vaporeon can literally disappear by essentially breaking down into surrounding water, yet despite those facts, it's seemingly skittish nature, added with the ability noted above have me leaning in this direction.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
One theory I've seen tossed around a bit is the idea of the starter being themed around sports. Much like how the Alolan starters were themed around performers and the Kalos starters were themed around RPG classes.

Scorbunny's the obvious one, with it being fast, plus there's a lot of emphasis on it's feet, plus it's name could be both a portmanteau of scorch + bunny or score + bunny. It could have evolutions themed around soccer.

And while there's nothing directly connecting Sobble to sports for now, the way Grookey is hitting the rock with it's stick is very reminiscent of a baseball or cricket player getting ready to bat.

shadowF

One theory I've seen tossed around a bit is the idea of the starter being themed around sports. Much like how the Alolan starters were themed around performers and the Kalos starters were themed around RPG classes.

Scorbunny's the obvious one, with it being fast, plus there's a lot of emphasis on it's feet, plus it's name could be both a portmanteau of scorch + bunny or score + bunny. It could have evolutions themed around soccer.

And while there's nothing directly connecting Sobble to sports for now, the way Grookey is hitting the rock with it's stick is very reminiscent of a baseball or cricket player getting ready to bat.

I think you are on the money for Scorbunny and Grookey. Sobble seems to be rowing for me, could link it to the loch ness monster where it disappears a lot plus have it be a tank since that is where it the patterns seem to suggest.