• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen8 starter Pokemon what do you want to see?

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
It's safe to say with a new generation we are getting new starters.

So what do you want to see for starters. Type combos? Stats? Creatures, designs, concepts?

Sound off, be creative and feel free to (politely) comment on others posts as well.

PKMN KING

Ozymandias
Grass:

Bear (Grass/Dark), Lemur (Grass/Psychic), Koala (Grass/Fighting), Kipling Ape (Grass/Fairy)

Fire:

Elephant (Fire/Rock), Humanoid Magician-esque (Fire/Fairy), Hare (Fire/Electric), F16 (Fire/Steel)

Water:

Diplodocus (Water/Rock), Platypus (Water/Poison), Bubble entity controlled by a bug (Water/Bug), Dolphin (Water/Psychic)

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
A lot of interesting animals and types already mentioned with the first posts. It'd be awesome if we got some with type combinations we haven't seen yet. Fire/Electric is definitely a neat one.

Orphalesion

Starter Pokemon are extremely difficult for me to think up, they just have to be a step beyond the rest of the Pokemon in their generation, they tend to be the face of their new gen and many players expect to develop a special bond with them.

That being said that Grass Eohippus that evolves into a Grass/Fairy High Medieval Unicorn that I'm dreaming about since Gen 6 would make a good grass starter.

And of course a pure Fire Snake that evolves into a humanoid Fire/Fighting Naga, just to tick everybody off :p
Though I'd also like to see a Fire Bear. Or a Goat that ends up Fire/Steel.

Can't really think of a good water starter... Though I'd like a cute Water typed Elephant or Hippo. And yeah, that fake leaked water platypus was very, very cute.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I feel like we are long overdue for a Water-Fighting Type and a Water-Ice Type. Also does anyone else think Blastoise you should've had a Steel Type as his secondary?

Erron Black

The Outlaw
I know this will never happen but my dream starter trio would be:

Grass type Elephant (Evolves into a Grass/Steel type)

Fire type Vampire Bat (Evolves into a Fire/Poison type)

Water type Plesiosaur (Evolves into a Water/Dragon type)

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I know this will never happen but my dream starter trio would be:

Grass type Elephant (Evolves into a Grass/Steel type)

Fire type Vampire Bat (Evolves into a Fire/Poison type)

Water type Plesiosaur (Evolves into a Water/Dragon type)
I feel like a Grass/Dragon type starter would make more sense than Water/Dragon type. Water/Dragon Type has more resistances and would be a little too OP unless the stats balanced it out.

World Turtle

Well going with the idea that the next region might be Canada. Mainly because the telescope/observatory the Hokulani Observatory is based on is owned by France (Kalos)-Hawaii (Alola)-and Canada and seeing as were 2 out of 3... The second reason being the "Regional pattern theory": Modern(Kanto, Unova)-Traditional (Johto, Kalos)-Tropical (Hoenn, Alola)-Cold (Sinnoh, 8?) points to someplace up north.

Bear: Could be Grass, Fire, or Water (I just want a bear).
Moose: Fire or Grass
Salamander: Water (since it is believed the Japanese Giant Salamander are the origin for the Kappa myths here's your Sha Wujing)

Baggie_Saiyan

Grass:

A Grass/Dragon dual type basilisk looking creature with wings. HA similar to multi-scale.

Fire:

A Fire/Fairy dual type looking bear.

Water:

A Water/Ghost dolphin or an actual shark.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Plenty of things I'd like to see for starters. One of my top trios is as follows.

Grass-->Grass/Ice. Based on a snow cat. Fast physical sweeper. A intentional glass cannon.

Fire->Fire/Ground. Based on a desert snake. Dual attack medium speed Pokemon.

Water-->Water/Rock. Coral crab and carrying crab hybrid. Defensive special attacker. It's kinda like Torterra but crab instead of turtle, and coral instead of mountain/tree.

Ashton Ketchum

Fire/earth hedgehog/echidna, which in final form can use heat wave similar to sun.
Water/steel lynx-mermaid, with tail-sword.
Grass/fighting monkey, which can transform hands in every melee weapon, and in final form with each move becomes bigger and bigger (even bigger than King Kong).

landipan

I love the Grass Eohippus idea, I'd be ALL over that.

Also I just want a fire starter that stays quadruped, that's all I really want. xD

TwilightSpooky

I am da one
More fairy, ghost, and dark pokemon. Specific types fairy/dragon, fairy/dark, more ghost/dark types.

As for animal designs, I also want a platypus and dolphin pokemon. Still need that gorilla pokemon, and maybe a hummingbird, cheetah, stick bug, wooly caterpillar, sword fish, baboon, moa, newt.

Other designs I think would be cool based on legends and mythological creatures like the hippogriff, chupacabra, windigo, and Tommy-knocker.

DannyDiglett

There are five animals left if they continue the Chinese zodiac for the fire starter:

ox
rabbit
snake
horse
goat

I'd like to see a Water type elephant but I don't have any ideas for the grass starter at the moment.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
There are five animals left if they continue the Chinese zodiac for the fire starter:

ox
rabbit
snake
horse
goat

Here's my ideas for each, thoughts?

Ox. Fire-Fire Steel minatour. Even though it's technically bipedal in it's final form, the horn's on its head are so heavy it has to walk and run gorilla like to support the weight.

Rabbit. Fire-Fire/Ground desert hare. Uses large feet to cause small to large earthquakes.

Snake. Fire-Fire/Fairy winged rainbow snake. Has multicolored wings in final form that it can fly with, but often is seen on the ground.

Horse. Fire-Fire/Ghost apocolpse horse. Pattern of it's fur gives skeletal like appearance, flames are a blue grey color.

Goat. Fire-Fire/Rock explosive powered ram. Starts off as a sheep (Baaboom) and evolves into a ram in it's final form with explosive headbutts.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
I'm just gonna copypaste from the old thread:
Fire/Fairy sweeper, Water/Poison bulky offense, Grass/Rock tank.
I guess they will have the same BST as the Alola starters for all stages.

Edit: Regarding their signature moves I'm guessing either a return to their base types(Fire, Grass, Water) or dual-type moves with their primary types being the base types(like Flying Press being primarily a Fighting move.) Would be nice if they were around 100-90 BP range.
Species depend on which European country and which region of that country it takes place, though I'm guessing Fire starter will be Ox.

Edit: My original ideas were
*Water/Rock, Fighting or Ghost
*Fire/Fairy or Poison
*Grass/Rock, Fairy or Ghost.

Last edited:

Noheart

The Abysswalker
It'd be cool if some type combinations that haven't been done come up, especially in the starters. Fire/Ice special sweeper comes to mind.

Water/Dragon wall and Grass/Steel is always a nice supporting type combo (as we've seen in Ferrothorn), given it has the appropriate base stats.

FrozTKnight

Will ORA ORA ORA you
I designed some starter final forms

Fire/Rock - Big Horned Sheep

Parts of its body are covered in volcanic rock (The head, horns, chest and stomache) as protection when it challenges its opponents for mates and terrortery. It has strong muscles that help propel it as ridicoulous speeds. It blood boils when it gets pumped up or angry, causing the cracks in its rocks to glow and fire to shoot from the end of its horns (kind of like nitros coming out of an exhaust). The horns are exclusive to the males while the females have a full rock head but fire don't shoot out because they are much more calm.

Fast physical attacker with average bulk. Hidden Ability will be Rock Head with it gaining access to a lot of recoil moves.

A Fighting/Grass - A fighting panda (think a cross of Po and Master Fushi from KFP)

Bulky mixed attacker, this Pokemon is a master of martial arts with strict discipline. The whole body is green with black marking on its face and tail. The limbs are full on black and it wraps leaves around its arms and legs and waist. Its a Pokemon that trains both its mind and strength gaining great strength and tolerance to pain. The males will have a small mustache.

Mixed attacker with heavy bulk and with average speed maybe 60 or 70 points in speed with a new Hidden Ability with The concept of pain tolerance and how Monks over come it - Status ailments won't work on this Pokemon while it gain resistance to some types like fire, poison, ice etc. which cause pain.

Water Flying - Common Murre (Birds that fly and somewhat flies underwater - check youtube its pretty cool)

Couldn't come up with a good design for it yet but the main theme is Sailor.

Fast Special attacker (fastest of the 3 starters) with high Special Attack.

Kirby Dragons

I want at least two of the starters to remain monotype in their final stages. We've had way too many dual types lately, with no single types since Unova. Looking through the thread, I see a lot of dual types that don't make any sense, and are probably just there for the sake of giving the starter a second type. Being overcomplicated is also something I dislike in the more recent starters.