• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen8 starter Pokemon what do you want to see?

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
You know. It just occured to me that it has been five generations since we had just a regular fire-type starter. No secondary type, just the fire-type alone. Honestly, wouldn't mind another single fire-type starter since Typhlosion.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I'm not sure how it work, but what if we had a Grass starter that was a giraffe, but also inspired by the mustard seed. So it's first stage would be tiny and grow into an extremely tall final stage (akin to how a small mustard seed grows into a massive tree). I'd say they could do that with maybe a coconut and palm tree..... But A.Exeggcutor does giant palm tree too good.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I don't really have any specific wants per say.
I just don't want the Fairy type tacked onto a starter again. I'm not a fan of that type, and I think it's ridiculous how quick it got attached to a starter compared to all those older types! Some like Dragon still haven't outside of Mega Evolutions.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I want secondary types to be Dragon/Fairy/Steel.
I want at least one four legged full evolution.
I personally do not want them to go gendered routes anymore either.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
I'd like to see what they did in gen 6, the whole rival having a complete advantage no matter what starter you chose. That would be cool. I'd like to see maybe a some kind of shark or fish as the water starter, maybe some kind of ape for grass, and something volcano based (like cameruptish, but better typing), for fire.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Grass:
- A Grass/Electric Lizard that evolves into a velociraptor with Steelworker hidden ability. Dual Electric probably won't happen though, so I'd settle for Grass/Steel. Give it at least Metal Claw.
- If not that, then maybe that Grass/Dark Black Bear idea that has been floating around?

Fire:
- An Ox/Minotaur: Fire/Fairy. Just needs to happen, not all Fairytale/Folklore/Legend-mons are cute. Play Rough as the go-to move.
- A quadruped Goat/Ram: Fire/Rock. Head Smash as coverage move, Rock Head as Hidden Ability.
- I like the idea of the Fire/Fairy Hare based on Japanese moon-lore. Fast Special Attacker seems about right and Moonblast seems like such an obvious fit.

Water:
- Elephant could work. Seems like the obvious landbased Mammal that has an affinity with swimming that hasn't gotten to be a Water-type yet. Water/Ground if that would be the case. Give it Water Spout.
- I saw an Iguana-idea earlier in the thread that looked cool. Water/Ghost would be cool.

Last edited:

Marika_CZ

I wonder if I am the only one who doesn't want starters at all?

This is just yet another aspect of the games that never was needed, but because Game Freak kept doing it over and over, everyone now assumes starters just have to exist, as if it was a law or something.

We have 800+ Pokemon available now (not even counting new kinds/species to be added by gen8) so why on earth can't I get my favorite at the beginning of the journey? Why limit me with measly three new elementals?

That being said, if we have absolutely have to have starters, at least make them creative - show us something we didn't see yet, offer unique type combinations like some people already mentioned above...

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I wonder if I am the only one who doesn't want starters at all?

This is just yet another aspect of the games that never was needed, but because Game Freak kept doing it over and over, everyone now assumes starters just have to exist, as if it was a law or something.

We have 800+ Pokemon available now (not even counting new kinds/species to be added by gen8) so why on earth can't I get my favorite at the beginning of the journey? Why limit me with measly three new elementals?

That being said, if we have absolutely have to have starters, at least make them creative - show us something we didn't see yet, offer unique type combinations like some people already mentioned above...

I want starters..... That said part of me does feel more disinchamted with them. Namely because of the 2 ability syndrome (coupled with starter ability syndrome ala the one main ability being Overgrow/Blaze/Torrent).

Just wish they had more options besides those three ability+one other.

PocketMonsterRealm

Since Crystal
I want starters to stay. It gives a nice start to the game. The way they do it now I think flows better.
Perhaps in the future they may have more than just 3 choices if you start out in a large group with other trainers like an academy or something.

Reactions: DBK

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I want starters to stay. It gives a nice start to the game. The way they do it now I think flows better.
Perhaps in the future they may have more than just 3 choices if you start out in a large group with other trainers like an academy or something.

Honestly I think three works though, as does the types and them being new.

Nice as it is to play as your favorites. I mean look at Digimon, for some reason no matter how many new Digimon the introduce it always goes back to the classics like Agumon.

And sure we have Gen1ers, and there will always be a special place in many folks hearts for Bulb,Squirt, and Char. But leaving them non-wild, and moving onto a new trio.... I think that's part of what helps the series continue, and move forward.

Marika_CZ

I want starters..... That said part of me does feel more disinchamted with them. Namely because of the 2 ability syndrome (coupled with starter ability syndrome ala the one main ability being Overgrow/Blaze/Torrent).
Gotcha. Methinks part of you want that because you are so used to it tho :p
Game Freak copy&pasted this concept so many times it is basically a stample / tradition by now (same with gyms, although they tried to shake up that one a bit).

And sure we have Gen1ers, and there will always be a special place in many folks hearts for Bulb,Squirt, and Char. But leaving them non-wild, and moving onto a new trio.... I think that's part of what helps the series continue, and move forward.
But that only works if you play as intended. There is nothing stopping you from ditching your "starter" to a PC box and get your favorite from a friend or bank right at the beginning of the journey.
Also, you don't need starters for that in the first place - just having a new region with many new kinds of Pokemon (while having the fan favorites unobtainable in the wild) - is pretty much enough to sort of "promote" the new generation. You could still offer players to select any Pokemon that is native to the new region, instead of limiting them to just three of them.

I guess I am just tired of GF constantly sticking to the formula on such extreme level. No big deal tho.

If we do have starters, I would like to see Fighting / Psychic / Dark selection rather that the classic elements. Just my two cents.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Sticking to the Grass/Water/Fire seems to be given as it is easiest for newcomers to see how the types interact as opposed to more obscure ones such as Psychic beating Fighting. Psychic/Fighting/Dark isn't exactly a perfect trio due to Dark been immune to Psychic, not sure if there are other trio of types that follow the same scheme of Grass/Fire/Water.

Regarding the Fire starter (if we are sticking to the "classic" trio of types) it would be amusing if it were not based on an animal that is part of the Chinese Zodiac (or any animal period if GF is willing go that far).

Last edited:

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Gotcha. Methinks part of you want that because you are so used to it tho :p
Game Freak copy&pasted this concept so many times it is basically a stample / tradition by now (same with gyms, although they tried to shake up that one a bit).

But that only works if you play as intended. There is nothing stopping you from ditching your "starter" to a PC box and get your favorite from a friend or bank right at the beginning of the journey.
Also, you don't need starters for that in the first place - just having a new region with many new kinds of Pokemon (while having the fan favorites unobtainable in the wild) - is pretty much enough to sort of "promote" the new generation. You could still offer players to select any Pokemon that is native to the new region, instead of limiting them to just three of them.

I guess I am just tired of GF constantly sticking to the formula on such extreme level. No big deal tho.

If we do have starters, I would like to see Fighting / Psychic / Dark selection rather that the classic elements. Just my two cents.

I agree that it only works if played as intended. But that's up to the individual. If every game had say Charmander in the first route, then many folks would end up nabbing it.

And far as any Pokemon from the region .... That's nice in theory in practice it can majorly mess with the intended flow of the game.

Regarding the Fire starter (if we are sticking to the "classic" trio of types) it would be amusing if it were not based on an animal that is part of the Chinese Zodiac (or any animal period if GF is willing go that far).

Specially since there really is so much opportunity for so many different animals. (Fire/Bug starter would be a great example).

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Grass Gibbon
Fire Jackrabbit
Water Octopus
Just something unique I thought of.

Fun trio, and what's more all three could be based on mythical monsters/urban legends.

Gibbon could be fun. I imagine a final form that is covered in green leafy fur almost "Bigfoot"ish. Maybe a Grass/Dark or Grass/Electric type?

The jackrabbit for a fire type has so many options. Fire/Ground, Fire/Fairy, and heck even Fire/Electric could all work really well. I want its final form based on a Jackalope.

The octopus is tuff as most starters tend to be both aquatic but capable on land as well. That said I have seen video of octopus moving on land from puddle to puddle. Final form based on the kraken. Water/Ghost would be fantastic for this, maybe Water/Poison.

Acer11

Fun trio, and what's more all three could be based on mythical monsters/urban legends.

Gibbon could be fun. I imagine a final form that is covered in green leafy fur almost "Bigfoot"ish. Maybe a Grass/Dark or Grass/Electric type?

The jackrabbit for a fire type has so many options. Fire/Ground, Fire/Fairy, and heck even Fire/Electric could all work really well. I want its final form based on a Jackalope.

The octopus is tuff as most starters tend to be both aquatic but capable on land as well. That said I have seen video of octopus moving on land from puddle to puddle. Final form based on the kraken. Water/Ghost would be fantastic for this, maybe Water/Poison.

Gibbons are more related to orangutans than to Bigfoot.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Gibbons are more related to orangutans than to Bigfoot.

....I was talking about it's final form becoming bigfoot-ish for the sake of its final form being partially inspired by mythical creatures/urban legends

DSDark

Breeder
Sticking to the Grass/Water/Fire seems to be given as it is easiest for newcomers to see how the types interact as opposed to more obscure ones such as Psychic beating Fighting. Psychic/Fighting/Dark isn't exactly a perfect trio due to Dark been immune to Psychic, not sure if there are other trio of types that follow the same scheme of Grass/Fire/Water.

Rock, Flying, Fighting is another trio that could work instead of Grass, Fire, Water