• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen8 starter Pokemon what do you want to see?

Marika_CZ

Because I like new Pokemon and am curious as to which designs they come up with. :)
And because I don't like the Kanto Trio (anymore, after over two decades)
Gotcha. I bet most people are excited abour starters for the same reason. That's fine.
Don't balme you about Kanto starters. (Ironically I am Charizard fan still after so many years...)

PocketMonsterRealm

Since Crystal
Not likely since we already have Ponyta / Rapidash.
I wonder myself tho, if the eventual starters might resemble anything from the chinese zodiac...
true for the unicorn part but there are different designs of unicorns that exist. the older kinds have a tail that looks more like a lions tail than a horses tail and they have more hair on its feet than the normal modern unicorn design we see alot- (in usa anyway).
also they could just do a Pegasus or combine Pegasus with unicorn.

Marika_CZ

true for the unicorn part but there are different designs of unicorns that exist. the older kinds have a tail that looks more like a lions tail than a horses tail and they have more hair on its feet than the normal modern unicorn design we see alot- (in usa anyway).
also they could just do a Pegasus or combine Pegasus with unicorn.
Yeah, but I also meant the typing. Not only would they be similar, they would be also both fire. That is why I don't think we will ever see another fire horse. However, they could make it other element (after all we did get donkey inspired ground type in gen7 right? And we also have different element based cats and dogs).

PocketMonsterRealm

Since Crystal
true. I personally dont believe nor really care about the zodiac fire starter thing but alot of people seem to think so.
I think it would be cool to see a water horse and make it like a combo of a horse and seahorse though.

Marika_CZ

Oh wait... Kaldeo. Oops. Looks like the only way would be grass horse starter.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Yeah, but I also meant the typing. Not only would they be similar, they would be also both fire. That is why I don't think we will ever see another fire horse. However, they could make it other element (after all we did get donkey inspired ground type in gen7 right? And we also have different element based cats and dogs).

Fair point, but I mean we have seen similar animal inspirations share types before. It's really what they decide to do with a hypothetical Fire horse starter. If they opted to give it a Fire mane and tail.... Yeah a bit to close. But even then.... Depends on the rest of the design.

Orphalesion

Oh wait... Kaldeo. Oops. Looks like the only way would be grass horse starter.
A grass/fairy unicorn is something I wanted since the Fairy type was introduced.

It could be very closely based on the High Medieval concept of the unicorn; a shy and solitary, horse like being that also combines elements of deer and goats in its appearance,a long with some unique features. The male version could even have the "beard" they were sometimes given in art

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?

Gen1: Lets make a dog! Make it Fire-type! And so Growlithe was born.
Gen2: Lets make a dog! Make it Fire-type! And thus Houndour was born.

Ohh! But Houndour is a Dark-type as well! Indeed it is, but the point still stands. Ponyta and Rapidash are classical pokémon designs, heck, if they were made today, they'd probably be Fire/Normal-types. So giving this hypothetical Fire-horse an added typing would drastically change how it could function aside from Rapidash.

A Fire/Steel-horse could work and would have a vastly different movepool to Rapidash and would be more akin to Mudsdale then Rapidash. Hopefully not that slow, but an armored horse would be wickedly unexpected. It would probably still share moves like Flame Charge, Flare Blitz, Drill Run and High Horsepower, but it could get access to a lot of cool Steel-type moves as well: Some new high-power Steel-type signature move to do with jousting and having bolted on lance. Moves like Knock Off and Fell Stinger, along with Jousting Blitz (high powered Steel-type move akin to Flare Blitz) and Flame Charge could make for a cool moveset that would let it work completely different than Rapidash (Fell Stinger would mean that Flame Charge would do respectable damage to compensate for the low starting damage, while Flame Charge would compensate for the high odds that a Fire/Steel-type probably won't be as fast as desired). Maybe something like just do Flare Blitz and make a Steel-type Flame Charge (Flash Charge?) so that the primary STAB at least has the high damage output, while the secondary STAB gets the extra benefits.

This is all pretty cool, but it clashes with my dream for a Grass/Steel Velociraptor Starter.

Marika_CZ

Cats and dogs have been indeed recycled a lot... a horse not so much, so I doubt it but it would be definitely cool.

Gen1: Lets make a dog! Make it Fire-type! And so Growlithe was born.
Gen2: Lets make a dog! Make it Fire-type! And thus Houndour was born.

Growlithe was born to exist as a stage 1 for Arcanine (who was meant to be a legendary, but they realized it didn't match with two bird legendaries, so they created Moltres instead and Arcanine was degraded to a common species).

Houndour was born to represent then-new Dark type. They added fire probably to invoke "hound of hell" image, it is admitedly fitting.

You also forgot the legendary fire dog Entei :p

So yeah you are right and yet I still doubt we will see another fire horse (that being said, if we do, I want that Fire/Steel! GIMMEH! It should have Flash Fire too, so it would replace heatran on my competitive teams hehe).

EDIT: outside of starters there is also a chance for gen8 regional variant for Rapidash/Mudsdale... but that is getting OT here ;)

Creyk

I am coming at you like a DARK horse....black beauty is also a common expression, honestly if they do another horse pokemon they should just make it a Dark type.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I am coming at you like a DARK horse....black beauty is also a common expression, honestly if they do another horse pokemon they should just make it a Dark type.

Yeah, a Fire/Dark Horse-starter would work as well. But considering Incineroar's technically just happened.. It would be like Fire/Fighting all over again. They've only done Steel as a secondary typing once with Empoleon, and I honestly feel as if they should've used it for Samurott, but didn't go for it because of the backlash they could've been expecting/already got for Emboar as a 3rd Fire/Fighting in a row.

So yeah, Fire/Dark Horse would be a good fit, but with that typing I'd rather have that in GenIX then in GenVIII. If the Zodiac-theory is true, then give us the Fire/Fairy-lunarbunny first and then the Fire/Dark horse. Or the Fire/Fairy Ox that would still be a great thing.

AG128L

They could go with a lava horse for a fire type design that would be drastically different from Rapidash. It could have a black coat with lava running though it kind of like zebra stripes. Although, that lends itself to a Fire/Dark type and we did just have Incineroar as mentioned above.

Personally I always thought Samurott fit Water/Fighting pretty well, but I can see steel as a reference to his swords.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
They could go with a lava horse for a fire type design that would be drastically different from Rapidash. It could have a black coat with lava running though it kind of like zebra stripes. Although, that lends itself to a Fire/Dark type and we did just have Incineroar as mentioned above.

Personally I always thought Samurott fit Water/Fighting pretty well, but I can see steel as a reference to his swords.

That could kinda work. Give it a label mane and tail maybe?

I do like the idea of a Fire/Steel horse. And it's hooves could burn so hot they glow and ignite things.

That said my favorite idea for a Fire/Steel starter is still a bull or goat with heavy steel horns.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
dark/ghost horse would be cool too. esp in a spooky forest

I had been kinda hoping that in gen7 rapidaeh would end up with a at least /Ghost variant.

What if we got a water starter that ends up as a Water/Ghost and it walks across water making fog?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
What if we got a water starter that ends up as a Water/Ghost and it walks across water making fog?
That will be a cool one. I would definitely like its ability to make fog because I don’t remember it being associated with any other Pokémon before. I guess there could be then be a cool powerful signature move associated with fog.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Its been two whole generations since we've had a fire starter that's part fighting type. Bout time we got a fourth one, right?

Joking aside. I want the next region to be based on Brazil. So the starters I'm picking are based on animals native to the Amazon Rainforest.

• Grass could be based on a spider monkey. Since we've had a fire-fighting monkey, we could get a grass-fighting monkey, since they tend to actually live in trees. Would be a useful support mon in doubles with a high speed stat.
  • The water type could be some kind of water snake like an anadonda. Snakes are usually villainous in pokemon but they can actually be quite cute. So we could see a cute baby snake as a water starter evolving into a threatening tank. Would operate as a really slow bulky water with coil and recovery.
  • Fire is a bit trickier since fire is generally bad in nature. We don't see many slow fire types, so maybe a fire type Sloth would be fun. Or there could be a Jaguar-Fire type. I wasn't happy with Incineroar going all anthropomorphic. Too much like a cereal mascot and not enough like a real living creature. So I'd like to see a really bestial jaguar fire starter.

Zaide

That will be a cool one. I would definitely like its ability to make fog because I don’t remember it being associated with any other Pokémon before. I guess there could be then be a cool powerful signature move associated with fog.
That would be a cool gimmick. My first idea would be a frog or a crocodile/alligator, but we already got the Greninja and Feraligatr lines. An eel or a water snake would be weird. A spirit or something along those lines doesn't really fit the mold of a starter pokémon and would be too mythical, and fishes can't move on land (which seems to be mandatory for starters as of now, probably for anime reasons). Maybe a squid/octopus (would be really redundant with jellicent, which is a jellyfish but still...)? or an hippopotamus? or a crab/lobster?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
That would be a cool gimmick. My first idea would be a frog or a crocodile/alligator, but we already got the Greninja and Feraligatr lines. An eel or a water snake would be weird. A spirit or something along those lines doesn't really fit the mold of a starter pokémon and would be too mythical, and fishes can't move on land (which seems to be mandatory for starters as of now, probably for anime reasons). Maybe a squid/octopus (would be really redundant with jellicent, which is a jellyfish but still...)? or an hippopotamus? or a crab/lobster?
I was thinking of some amorphous water spirit for it, so something like Castform but not quite. But for some reason it could be associated with myth but because it’s not Legendary, it’ll have a minimal role.