• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen8 starter Pokemon what do you want to see?

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I see and read this combo for one all the time. And the main argument is platypus are poisonous. To which many point out, it's only the males. And yeah 100% easy for Gamefreak to make both genders Water/Poison and then state the males are said to be more poisonous.

That all said I think there is a much more fitting type combination for a hypothetical Water platypus starter. Water/Electric.

The thing about platypuses is they hunt with what is described as an electrical sixth sense. They literally close thier eyes, nose, and ears when hinting underwater and use electroreceptors on thier bill to locate the electrical fields of it's prey.

Hands down that sounds like way more interesting peice of the animals natural biology to exploit for a hypothetical platypus starter than some point barbs on one genders feet.

So yeah, unpopular opinion I don't want a Water/Poison platypus starter, I want a Water/Electric one. Through in a Hidden ability that either increases it's Accuracy stat after using an Electric attack, or maybe just makes all Electric attacks never miss For bonus points.

DBK

Renegade Trainer
I think that's an awesome idea and way more interesting then defaulting to poison. I kinda need this to happen now haha.

Makes me really curious how that could be incorporated into it's design. I'm sure it would look really cool.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I want to see a slight variation of Meowstic in that at certain levels the males learn Poison type moves and TMs but the females learn completely different moves at those levels and can only learn Toxic and Venoshock as far as Poison type TMs go.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I'd honestly not want a platypus as a starter at all.

But a Water/Poison starter itself would be amazing. I've personally always wanted a hippo as a Water starter, though I'm not sure how likely that would be at this time.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I'd honestly not want a platypus as a starter at all.

But a Water/Poison starter itself would be amazing. I've personally always wanted a hippo as a Water starter, though I'm not sure how likely that would be at this time.

I'd agree I'm very game for both a Water hypo starter, and a Water/Poison starter..... Just don't think that combo should be used for a hypothetical Platypus starter.

Also why no Platypus?

PocketMonsterRealm

Since Crystal
I see and read this combo for one all the time. And the main argument is platypus are poisonous. To which many point out, it's only the males. And yeah 100% easy for Gamefreak to make both genders Water/Poison and then state the males are said to be more poisonous.

That all said I think there is a much more fitting type combination for a hypothetical Water platypus starter. Water/Electric.

The thing about platypuses is they hunt with what is described as an electrical sixth sense. They literally close thier eyes, nose, and ears when hinting underwater and use electroreceptors on thier bill to locate the electrical fields of it's prey.

Hands down that sounds like way more interesting peice of the animals natural biology to exploit for a hypothetical platypus starter than some point barbs on one genders feet.

So yeah, unpopular opinion I don't want a Water/Poison platypus starter, I want a Water/Electric one. Through in a Hidden ability that either increases it's Accuracy stat after using an Electric attack, or maybe just makes all Electric attacks never miss For bonus points.

cool never heard that before. i like it!

Explorer7

I'm working on a game at the moment, and the starters are as follows, I' like to see something like them in the new games.

(Zeraora is 807, but I made a legendry pokemon (Romanji: Nudiboyo) who goes before the starters)

#810 is the grass-type starter, based on an "ugly rabbit". he has leafs for ears, and leafs for eyes. It is said he can see

#813 is the fire-type starter, based on a gun. His pokedex entry says that he can go to space. The clever thing about this guy is that his evolutionary line goes from a gun to a rocket launcher, to a flower, representing peace after all the fighting. He does not evolve.

#816 is the water starter. He is described as an "unfortunate electric man", but this is probably a mistranslation. He evolves into a seal who "knows santa"

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I'm working on a game at the moment, and the starters are as follows, I' like to see something like them in the new games.

(Zeraora is 807, but I made a legendry pokemon (Romanji: Nudiboyo) who goes before the starters)

#810 is the grass-type starter, based on an "ugly rabbit". he has leafs for ears, and leafs for eyes. It is said he can see

#813 is the fire-type starter, based on a gun. His pokedex entry says that he can go to space. The clever thing about this guy is that his evolutionary line goes from a gun to a rocket launcher, to a flower, representing peace after all the fighting. He does not evolve.

#816 is the water starter. He is described as an "unfortunate electric man", but this is probably a mistranslation. He evolves into a seal who "knows santa"
The Fire type idea is interesting but it may be a problem given how touchy guns being represented in video games especially ones aimed at children can be. This is especially true for the US. We had a Magmotar card artwork redone because the Pokémon was pointing its blaster arm at the viewer. Honestly Remoraid can get away with being partially inspired by a gun because it is also inspired by the remoras and looks like a normal fish. A Pokémon that is completely based on a gun will be an angry parental nightmare for both GF and Nintendo and I think they would want to avoid that. Look at how they handled the whole “Jynx is racist” controversy. They do not need another one of those Pokémon.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
The Fire type idea is interesting but it may be a problem given how touchy guns being represented in video games especially ones aimed at children can be. This is especially true for the US.
I agree, looking at the exhaustive ways Yu-Gi-Oh cards have been censored, or even how 4Kids outright blocked pokemon's "gun episode". I doubt Game Freak would really be dumb enough to green light an obviously gun-based pokemon. They're too aware of their status as an international brand. Frankly I'd be angry and disgusted to see something as inherently awful and cynical as a gun as a part of a pokemon trainers' team on a heroic journey. One of the things that makes the pokemon world so nice to visit is that it doesn't rely on such ruthless solutions.

Explorer7

Frankly I'd be angry and disgusted to see something as inherently awful and cynical as a gun as a part of a pokemon trainers' team on a heroic journey. One of the things that makes the pokemon world so nice to visit is that it doesn't rely on such ruthless solutions.

Hey, I did say in my original post that he evolved into a flower at the end to symbolise a flower after the gun

Zaide

I was thinking of some amorphous water spirit for it, so something like Castform but not quite. But for some reason it could be associated with myth but because it’s not Legendary, it’ll have a minimal role.
Thing is, with the spirit thing, as cool as it could be, I doubt GameFreak goes away from animal based starters anytime soon like I said. Also applies to the gun-based fire starter idea posted above - if we overlook the other reasons why it would be a terrible PR idea.
Venusaur / Charizard / Blastoise -> Reptile, toad / Dragon, salamander... / Tortoise
Meganium / Typhlosion / Feraligatr -> Sauropod / Badger, hedgehog... / Aligator
Sceptile / Blaziken / Swampert -> Gecko / Rooster / Amphibian
Torterra / Infernape / Empoleon -> Turtle, tortoise / Ape / Penguin
Serperior / Emboar / Samurott -> Snake / Pig, boar / Otter
Chesnaught / Delphox / Greninja -> Hedgehog, armadillo... / Fox / Frog
Decidueye / Incineroar / Primarina -> Owl / Tiger, cat / Sea lion

So yeah, while some of them are harder to point out (Venusaur, Swampert, Chesnaught precisely), they are all based on something from the animal kingdom - current or extinct -. I think that's something that needs to be considered when thinking about the next generation of starter.

That being said, I'd love to get another fastish water starter (Greninja feels lonely in that regard), but it's hard to think of anything that's not based on a frog or a water lizard like the monitor or the basilisk.

Grass starter -> Lemur. I liked that idea from the "fake leak" a couple months ago. I would like it to be grass/dark. Would be semi-fastish in its final stage (around 90 speed), with good bulk and good attack and special attack. So basically, an all-around Pokémon. Could also see grass/psychic (those eyes could hold tremendous psychic powers), but I'd prefer a psychic basilisk for the water starter.
Fire starter -> Even though some of the chinese zodiac stuff is far stretched, I'd like if they went with a fire sheep or ox. A knight style one, with some sort of armor, that would become fire/steel. Would be slow, but quite bulky with high attack.
Water starter -> I would be on the water/poison platypus bandwagon since it would be adorable, but I'd also love the basilisk. Would be very fast and frail, with great special attack. I'd love the second type to be psychic, to give it the power to run on anything by levitating itself. If going for the water/poison platypus, I think mid-speed range with all around stats would work. Water/rock elephant or hippo could also work for me.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Thing is, with the spirit thing, as cool as it could be, I doubt GameFreak goes away from animal based starters anytime soon like I said. Also applies to the gun-based fire starter idea posted above - if we overlook the other reasons why it would be a terrible PR idea.
Thinking about that, those with animalistic features are generally easier to attach to than those who look non-animalistic. They are one’s first Pokémon ever so that could be why all starter Pokémon are all animalistic. But at least I expect it could be shaped into some non-aquatic animal as a reference that these animals don’t reside in water for some stage of its life or isn’t associated strongly with it.

Orphalesion

Is there some translation difficulty in this post? You say here your Fire Starter does not evolve and what on Earth is an "unfortunate electric man"?

From what I can understand:
The rabbit sounds alright.
The fire starter sounds....not that good.... We've never had a completely object-pokemon as a starter and while I get what you are trying to do with the flower at the end it still sounds a bit....yeah, let's not use obvious weapons.... But a bit more heavily abstracted it could be reformed into an interesting two stage War->Peace line.
The water starter finally.....are you proposing a drowning/drowned person evolving into a Santa Seal? We've just had a Pinniped ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinniped) inspired water starter with Primarina and having another right away would be not very interesting. Plus a santa seal would not really be something I'd choose either.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Grass starter -> Lemur. I liked that idea from the "fake leak" a couple months ago. I would like it to be grass/dark. Would be semi-fastish in its final stage (around 90 speed), with good bulk and good attack and special attack. So basically, an all-around Pokémon. Could also see grass/psychic (those eyes could hold tremendous psychic powers), but I'd prefer a psychic basilisk for the water starter.
Fire starter -> Even though some of the chinese zodiac stuff is far stretched, I'd like if they went with a fire sheep or ox. A knight style one, with some sort of armor, that would become fire/steel. Would be slow, but quite bulky with high attack.
Water starter -> I would be on the water/poison platypus bandwagon since it would be adorable, but I'd also love the basilisk. Would be very fast and frail, with great special attack. I'd love the second type to be psychic, to give it the power to run on anything by levitating itself. If going for the water/poison platypus, I think mid-speed range with all around stats would work. Water/rock elephant or hippo could also work for me.

First off, Grass lemur would be alot of fun. Hopefully final form isn't like that guys, as it was kinda underwhelming to me. Grass/Dark could be fun typing for it.... If we hadn't just gotten Grass/Ghost I'd suggest that....

When I was reading your Fire/Steel suggestion for like a knight and you mentioned a bull or sheep I had a thought..... What if it's a sheep, and it's wool is made of steel, and as it evolves it kinda gets formed into a bit of a knight armor look?

For water starter.... Water/Electric for the Platypus guys, not water/Poison.

DBK

Renegade Trainer
For water starter.... Water/Electric for the Platypus guys, not water/Poison.

I love how that idea was lost in this chunk of thread and everyone just kept with the water/poison lol