• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen8 starter Pokemon what do you want to see?

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I love how that idea was lost in this chunk of thread and everyone just kept with the water/poison lol

Sad but true.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Gonna bring up an animal I think I've mentioned before.

Can we get a Grass raccoon starter? Final form could be Grass/Dark or Grass/Fairy depending on if they wanna focus on the bandit or the magical aspects of this critter and it's lore.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I’d like to see a water Starter based on a dolphin/porpoise. We don’t have any Pokémon based on those two animals and having one as a starter would be fun.

FairyNice

Fairytale Fighter
I'd really enjoy them bucking some trends. For example, a Grass starter that can't be arguably prehistoric based, a Fire starter that can't be arguably Chinese Zodiac based, and a Water starter that isn't based on a terrestrial animal that thrives/depends on water. Handheld to console is a big shift, and I'd love to see a basis shift to represent that.

Although, that said, I'd actually really like certain patterns to be finished. Like, a Grass/Dark feminine starter, a Fire/Ground 'sleek' starter, and a Water/Fighting masculine starter. Just because masc/fem/sleek is a trio one could argue for the past two 3D gens, and all of those types only need one more starter to have a full spectrum across the starter types.

I’d like to see a water Starter based on a dolphin/porpoise. We don’t have any Pokémon based on those two animals and having one as a starter would be fun.

The only issue with that is that unless they make it float or give it limbs, it'd be awkward to animate moving in the anime which will give it a big problem. It's why all Water-type starters are animals that can move between land and water :s

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I'd really enjoy them bucking some trends. For example, a Grass starter that can't be arguably prehistoric based, a Fire starter that can't be arguably Chinese Zodiac based, and a Water starter that isn't based on a terrestrial animal that thrives/depends on water. Handheld to console is a big shift, and I'd love to see a basis shift to represent that.

Although, that said, I'd actually really like certain patterns to be finished. Like, a Grass/Dark feminine starter, a Fire/Ground 'sleek' starter, and a Water/Fighting masculine starter. Just because masc/fem/sleek is a trio one could argue for the past two 3D gens, and all of those types only need one more starter to have a full spectrum across the starter types.

First off I'm game for a finish to the Masc/fem/sleek trio.... Not sure if I'd keep those type combos you suggested, but it would be interesting to see what we end up with with those 'themes'.

Second a break from the norm is always fun, so here are my suggestions...

Grass/Electric platypus.

Fire/Bug fire ant or scorpion or bombardier beetle, or termite.

Water/Fighting monkey. (Trains with waterfalls and hotsprings, so doesn't thrive but learned to manipulate water)

I think it's kinda tough to do those though... I mean for the prehistoric Grass thing.... Alot of stuff is said to have a prehistoric ancestor....

No Fire zodiac is the easiest.... Specially with some many seemingly used.

And the water one might be the toughest. Seeming as how all living organisms need water. So finding a both an inspiration for one that isn't all about water, while also coming up with a reason for it to be /Water... Tough

Nodame

Misty <3
I don't have a particular animal in mind, but a lovely pony starter would be nice. Anything would do as long as they're cute. I like starters with a feminine touch like Chikorita and Primarina. I think we need more of them. Also, as long as we do not get humanoid creatures or ugly final evolution, I'll be happy :( *Ugh.. Delphox*

Orphalesion

What are some animals for the fire starter that couldn't possibly be made to conform to the Zodiac fanon?
My favourite variant would still be a Fire Bear. Maybe pure fire, since I can't think of anything else that'd fit a Fire bear starter (at least nothing that isn't Fire/Fighting)
A fire bat? (Fire/Flying? Fire/Dark?)
A fire squid/kraken that lives in volcanoes?
A fire rhino? (though people might claim that it represents the horse)
A fire elephant?

I'd really enjoy them bucking some trends. For example, a Grass starter that can't be arguably prehistoric based
The problem is that every group of animal has some extinct species, so there's really no animal at all the Grass Starter could be without someone digging up some prehistoric relative the starter "clearly" "must be" based on. Even with the Platypus, there's an extinct giant platypus species. That's why that whole fanon (I wn't dignify it with the word "theory") is useless, it can neither be falsified, nor proven.
But since the Grass and Water Starter fanons were only be made up to go with the Fire Starter fanon, they'd be proven false if the fire one is proven false.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
My favourite variant would still be a Fire Bear. Maybe pure fire, since I can't think of anything else that'd fit a Fire bear starter (at least nothing that isn't Fire/Fighting)

I could see several options for a Fire Bear starter.

Fire/Rock, based on a mountain bear.
Fire/Electric, a grizzly (some how using the for one of the stage names) that hurts fish Pokemon with it's electrical paws.
Fire/Ice, uses the to temps to cook or cool it's good to the perfect temperature.
Fire/Fairy, Ursa Major/Ursa Minor celestial bear?

Zaide

I could see several options for a Fire Bear starter.

Fire/Rock, based on a mountain bear.
Fire/Electric, a grizzly (some how using the for one of the stage names) that hurts fish Pokemon with it's electrical paws.
Fire/Ice, uses the to temps to cook or cool it's good to the perfect temperature.
Fire/Fairy, Ursa Major/Ursa Minor celestial bear?
Don't think we're ever gonna see a secondary electric type of the starters, simply because it is more or so seen as the "4th" starter type because of Pikachu.

That said, a Ursa major based fire bear would indeed sound fun. However, celestial/extraterrestrial stuff has mostly been associated with the psychic type in Pokémon, so I don't see how Fire/Fairy would make more sense than Fire/Psychic. Redundant with Delphox, but GF has shown it doesn't really care (hello fire/fighting!) and it would be a completely different Pokémon anyways (physical instead of special). That typing would also go well with an indigenous based mythical backstory.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Don't think we're ever gonna see a secondary electric type of the starters, simply because it is more or so seen as the "4th" starter type because of Pikachu.

People said similiar stuff about /Ghost. As in we won't see one comboed as it make immune to some of regional mammal and regional bird stab attacks (aka Normal). And some doubted a /Fairy as it seemed too good.

And far as the unofficial 4th starter type thing goes.... Meh, it's not like we always see electric types that early, and Pikachu isn't even in the beginning of ever gen. Plus it's not like Pikachu clones are even often found all that early in the games either...

Last edited:

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
People said similiar stuff about /Ghost. As in we won't see one comboed as it make immune to some of regional mammal and regional bird stab attacks (aka Normal). And some doubted a /Fairy as it seemed too good.

And far as the unofficial 4th starter type thing goes.... Meh, it's not like we always see electric types that early, and Pikachu isn't even in the beginning of ever gen. Plus it's not like Pikachu clones are even often found all that early in the games either...

I think the main part with the Ghost typing was that it wasn't right from the outset, but rather a third tier evolution. I'd be totally up for an electric sub type of starter as for what it should be, I'm not entirely sure. Water/Electric has worked before, yes, but Electric/Grass and Fire have only been through the formes of Rotom. The short of it is that it's a hard typing to come by. Like I said though, would be up for it if they decided to implement it.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I love how that idea was lost in this chunk of thread and everyone just kept with the water/poison lol

I think people just want to move away from the whole Platypus-idea, as opposed to keep every idea surrounding that topic.

No type combination is impossible, at some point they could cover them all.

I still believe that for starters that particular case is quite difficult to make. There's a reason why Charizard got Fire/Flying and not the obvious Fire/Dragon-type that it only got when Charizardite X rolled around. Same with Sceptile, pure Grass.. but how much did it really change to warrant that /Dragon-type upon Mega Evolution? Not all that much, so one starts to wonder if it was omitted due to being deemed broken? And sure, Charizard and Sceptile are relics of the pre-Fairy era, so maybe if one starter gets a /Fairy-type, then another could get /Dragon, but then what do you give the 3rd? Something to balance out that /Fairy's upperhand and give the /Dragon something to work good against, but then you run into the problem that Dragon is pretty much neutral against everything except Fairy and Steel, so you can't give the 3rd a /Steel since that wouldn't be fair to the /Dragon-type. So maybe Poison? Since that isn't a resistance for the Dragon-type, but does impede /Fairy's surpremacy within the triangle.

Maybe these three combinations could work like a balancing act between them?
Fire/Fairy
Grass/Poison
Water/Dragon

Fire has Fairy to beat the Water-starter, Grass has Poison to beat the Fire Starter, Water has Dragon to turn Grass hits into neutral hits and have a neutral type to hit against the Grass-starter (and x0.25 resist Fire to boot).

Grass definitely gets the short end of the stick, since its primary typing loses any effectivity within this triad (as opposed to Fire and Water, which retain their upperhand against Grass and Fire respecitively in terms of primary typings) and its secondary typing is shaky at best (you still don't want to pit it vs. a Fire-type under normal circumstances - even if it is /Fairy-type, and Poison vs. Water/Dragon is still just neutral.

Thinking about it, instead of trying a balancing act, you might as well just go hyperoffensive on all of them, with the change being adding /Steel on the Grass-type:

- Fire/Dragon
- Grass/Steel
- Water/Fairy

Fire gets one x4 against the Grass-starter (the other type being resisted), the Grass-starter gets two x2 STAB-types against the Water-starter, and the Water-starter gets two x2 STAB attacks against the Fire-type (and an immuty to one of the Fire-type STAB-types).

In this case, I think it might be fairer overall as the one who would normally dominate the other still dominates. Fire dominates Grass, but a poor match vs. Water, Grass dominates Water, but a poor match vs. Fire, Water dominates Fire, but a poor match vs. Grass. The only hick-up being that x4 Fire weakness that Grass has, but then again, you wouldn't normally switch a Decidueye into an Incineroar either.

In a similar vein, Fire/Poison, Grass/Fairy, Water/Dragon would also be an option.. but then Fire would have a x2 AND a x4 STAB against Grass, and Water/Dragon has way too few weaknesses (Dragon and Fairy) which I think is overkill unfairly to the Grass-type starter - but it circumvents using Water/Fairy (Primarina) and Fire/Dragon (Mega Charizard X) again.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I still believe that for starters that particular case is quite difficult to make. There's a reason why Charizard got Fire/Flying and not the obvious Fire/Dragon-type that it only got when Charizardite X rolled around.

I'd argue Charizards typing or rather it's lack of a natural /Dragon is that back in gen 1 Dragon typing had more to do with keeping Dragon type rarer, all the way to the point where the only Dragon type is late game. Instead of handing you one that can become that. Keeping type weaknesses and resistances prob factored in as well after the fact.

Now though with the number of Dragon types, the addition of Fairy type, I don't see why they can't add it. And heck with moves that are super effective versus more added types, I could see us a getting a Dragon Fire fire type attack that deals super effective damage to Dragon types, to help with a hypothetical Grass/Dragon starter.

Hanto

Water Addiction
I would like to see
- Grass pig -> grass/ground Entelodont
- Water type Platypus -> water/poison hadrosaurus
- Fire type Ox -> fire/rock minotaur

Leonhart

Imagineer
I'd like to see something similar to the beta Gen II Water-type Starter in Gen VIII, by which I mean a plesiosaur-like design. For the Fire-type Starter, I'd like to see a lemur.

Dragon Pulse

I'd like to see a Fire rabbit starter that becomes Fire/Fairy. Ever since Gen 6, in a way, we've had an ace starter (Greninja, Decidueye) if that's what to call it, and this time I want it to be seen as the Fire-type starter. It could have a cute but feisty design at the same time. Another one that I like that I saw someone mention was a Fire/Ghost apocalypse horse. I'd be all for that.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I'd like to see a Fire rabbit starter that becomes Fire/Fairy. Ever since Gen 6, in a way, we've had an ace starter (Greninja, Decidueye) if that's what to call it, and this time I want it to be seen as the Fire-type starter. It could have a cute but feisty design at the same time.

Someone mentioned a /Grass ribbon dancing rabbit. I could see that concept still working for a hypothetical Fire/Fairy rabbit line. Except instead of the vines for the Grass type it has sorta flame ribbons or something.

Zaide

I would like to see
I never thought of a minotaur for a fire type ox. It would just work so perfectly. Could also see Fire/Ground and Fire/Steel work. Especially the later as it could be a candidate to learn anchor shot.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I never thought of a minotaur for a fire type ox. It would just work so perfectly. Could also see Fire/Ground and Fire/Steel work. Especially the later as it could be a candidate to learn anchor shot.

Really? That's usually the most common thing I hear. It happened though. Is ox ox same as the bull? If so I want a Fire/Steel long horn bull. It be a Minotaur but it have to walk/run on 4's cause of the weight. It can still stand up and attack though. I imagine a Pokemon version of a bull like behemmoth from FF.

I would like to see

I'm torn on a few things here.

First off, I've been vocal about thinking a Water/Electric typing fits a Platypus based starter better than Water/Poison. So I'll leave that there.

Second, and mainly. I like the idea of a Grass/Ground pig/boar Pokemon but not really as a starter. Mainly due to us already having a Grass/Ground starter (that happened to be the only current Grass/Ground type, a fact that doesn't make sense in my head, I mean. Plants grow in the ground.... How is Grass and ground not paired more often?).

Main two types I'd like to see for a Grass pig/boar starter's final form are Grass/Steel and Grass/Electric. I imagine the final form being a quadrupedal razor back. And could see the typings pairing well with that idea. Additionally I suppose a Grass/Dark boar could work too.