• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gender imbalances in your teams

PageEmperor

So basically, share some cases where you noticed something with your genders in your gameplay teams.

For me, It's usually gender neutral teams, or every run I get dominated by a gender I'll have another run dominated by the other gender.

My recent HeartGold Randomiser Nuzlocke, though, set a record in PageEmperor history: the first ever all female team in any of my playthroughs ever. Even my Charizard was female, even my Machamp was female. My HG randomiser was basically zero males, 2 legendaries that were genderless and will continue to be as I'm not documenting the run.

So have you guys had any gender shenanigans in your playthroughs or nuzruns?

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
I’ve noticed that in some of the games that I’ve played since I was little (Leafgreen, Sapphire, XD), most of my team would be male. It must have been by chance, and I didn’t think much about it until I deliberately wanted to train a female Pokémon. The first that I remember wanting to train was a female Tyranitar in Leafgreen, and I’ve used her quite a lot. She was pretty memorable in that sense.

Ever since the DS games, I’ve intended to make all my teams gender balanced (3 males, 3 females). When I noticed that I had 3 males, 2 females, and 1 genderless Pokémon in my Crystal VC, I wanted to balance that out by establishing my team in Pearl to be 3 females, 2 males, and 1 genderless Pokémon. I can be strict about the balancing in various ways.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I seem to mostly train male Pokémon for some reason - it just seems to happen, I’m not sexist by any means! My Sun team (which you can see in my sig) is almost all-male, with my Alolan Raichu being the only female. Omega Ruby is another game where my team is mostly male, Pikachu (the cosplay one) being the sole female. Starmie in my SoulSilver and Magnezone in my Black 2 technically don't count as they’re genderless, but I gave Starmie a female name and Magnezone a male name because I see Staryu and Starmie as female, and the Magnemite family as male. I have a female Lucario in Black 2, and she’s one of my most solid fighters in that game.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I seem to mostly train male Pokémon for some reason - it just seems to happen, I’m not sexist by any means! My Sun team (which you can see in my sig) is almost all-male, with my Alolan Raichu being the only female. Omega Ruby is another game where my team is mostly male, Pikachu (the cosplay one) being the sole female. Starmie in my SoulSilver and Magnezone in my Black 2 technically don't count as they’re genderless, but I gave Starmie a female name and Magnezone a male name because I see Staryu and Starmie as female, and the Magnemite family as male. I have a female Lucario in Black 2, and she’s one of my most solid fighters in that game.
Funnily enough your female Pikachu/Raichu are also some of my few examples of a female on my team.

I tend to use mostly males. Only case that I can recall I used a female was Cosplay Pikachu, Alola Raichu, Tsareena, & Toxapex. I subconsciously go for the gender a Pokèmon looks like to me

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I tend to use mostly males. Only case that I can recall I used a female was Cosplay Pikachu, Alola Raichu, Tsareena, & Toxapex. I subconsciously go for the gender a Pokèmon looks like to me

Using that logic, my Starmie in SoulSilver is a female, which would make my HG/SS team totally balanced (three males, three females).

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Depends on the availability of Pokémon I like in the region, and which pre-release-hyped Pokémon I want.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
In my HeartGold team, 5 of its members were male (Feraligatr, Espeon, Arcanine, Heracross, Nidoking) and only Fearow was female.
In Black 2, I used male Sigilyph, Haxorus, Cinccino and Krookodile and female Samurott and Galvantula.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
My Black game was entirely male or genderless. White only had one female member, Eelektross

AuroraBeam

I purposely try to plan to get 3 males & 3 females. I usually avoid genderless pokemon for my in-game teams.

I’ve never really paid direct attention to genders in my whole team, but I do wanna mention the fact that I’ve chosen Litten three times in total at the start of the story and two out of those three were female (w/o resets). Considering Litten is my favourite starter, it was incredibly lucky.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
I usually capture Pokemon based off how I interpret their design. Some look more masculine, some female, and some neutral enough to be either.

I try to balance my team with an equal amount of males and females. Usually depends on what sort of goals I have for that playthrough.

One of the more recent and memorable playthroughs I had was in USUM. I started a new game and picked Rowlet as my starter, I was lucky enough for it to be female. I decided to nickname her Artemis after the Greek goddess of the hunt. By the end of this playthrough she had proven herself and took part in plenty of important battles.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
I always try to have a completely male team of Pokémon (with the exception of genderless Pokémon like Metagross).

I also always play as the male MC.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I don't usually catch Pokemon for my teams with genders in mind, although I just checked Platinum and noticed that 4 out of my 6 Pokemon including my Starter are female. I hadn't paid much attention to that before.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
@Leonhart @Captain Jigglypuff You guys are me as well. I don't really pay attention to gender that much Pokemon wise. Unless it's early in the game and I want to try to breed something and I don't have a Ditto available.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
For me, it was something I never noticed as a kid because I never nicknamed my Pokemon, so I never really had to pay attention to it. It's not something that bothers me now either. Sometimes I'll have an all male team, sometimes it's varied, and sometimes it ends up all female. I just nickname them appropriate to what they are and move on.

Miar

Wigglytuff Guild recruit
Oh yes. Among the teams I've kept intact I have two all-female, one 5/6 female, one 5/6 male (X Eevee run), and one 4M/1F/1N.

In the past I thought female Pokemon just attacked first most of the time. (IIRC the old GS games fix it that way because Whitney).

These days if I really want to train something I'll catch or hatch multiples. I like natures to match the stat spread and if the best match (or shiniest) is more often than not female, so be it.