• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Genderless Pokemon

PokeMasterCait

This is a random thing but I wanted to know what your opinions are. When I was younger and The First movie came out, I saw Mew and thought it was a girl...growing up I still believe Mew is a girl XD Do any of you guys do that (If it looks girly it's a girl and if it looks masculine it's a boy)??? or am I the weird one? and What do you think about them in general, like how do you feel about there being Genderless pokemon? :025ball: ;209;

Hidden Power

Genderless Pokemon adversely affected me in BW, when I wanted to breed a Golett pre-E4 where Ditto isn't available. I was never an avid breeder, and so to my horror I realized that genderless Pokemon couldn't even breed with their own species. I don't understand the point of this restriction when eventually genderless Pokemon can still breed with Ditto.

For non-legendary Pokemon, I find the GF's fickle-mindedness over which Pokemon should be genderless, single gender only, or available in either gender of different proportions to be mind-boggling. One moment they decide to stereotype machine/mineral-like Pokemon to be genderless, the next thing you know Gigalith can be male or female.

For legendary Pokemon, I think gender could have been applied to most of them (except when it's concept-based to keep them genderless) without breaking the no-breeding rule. Heatran has gender, it didn't break the game, and it's probably not the first legendary Pokemon you'll expect to have gender, so why not?

Last edited:

PokeMasterCait

I think it's kind of silly to have genderless pokemon...I never thought about the breeding part of it before..It just always bothered me that Mew especially is genderless... :/ I really want to know their reasoning behind genderless pokemon...

Moonrox

Shaymin Enthusiast
Genderless Pokemon adversely affected me in BW, when I wanted to breed a Golett pre-E4 where Ditto isn't available. I was never an avid breeder, and so to my horror I realized that genderless Pokemon couldn't even breed with their own species. I don't understand the point of this restriction when eventually genderless Pokemon can still breed with Ditto.

For non-legendary Pokemon, I find the GF's fickle-mindedness over which Pokemon should be genderless, single gender only, or available in either gender of different proportions to be mind-boggling. One moment they decide to stereotype machine/mineral-like Pokemon to be genderless, the next thing you know Gigalith can be male or female.

For legendary Pokemon, I think gender could have been applied to most of them (except when it's concept-based to keep them genderless) without breaking the no-breeding rule. Heatran has gender, it didn't break the game, and it's probably not the first legendary Pokemon you'll expect to have gender, so why not?

You just love to critisize GF, don't you?
There's quite a few legendary Pokemon with genders, too. Lati@s, Cresselia, Heatran...

General_Ridley

Palace Maven Spenser
Your cultural assumptions about gender are going to be different from Gamefreak's, and even from your grandparents' and great-grandparents' generation. It was only about a hundred years ago, you know, that pink was considered a highly masculine color (because it had a red tint like blood) and blue was a feminine-coded color. Don't worry about it.

Bluemiracle

Biologist
I never really understood why Meloetta is genderless... Makes no sense to me

Ditto B1tch

I agree with you that it is a bit (or a lot) frustrating to know that non-legendary genderless Pokemons can't breed with others of the same specie (Voltorb and Voltorb, for example). Anyways, Ditto can be found in every version launched by now (except Collosseum and XD).

Like you, I think also that some legendaries could have gender (Groudon, Kyogre, for example), but not all of them (Jirachi and Deoxys, for example).

I think it's kind of silly to have genderless pokemon...I never thought about the breeding part of it before..It just always bothered me that Mew especially is genderless... :/ I really want to know their reasoning behind genderless pokemon...

No, it is not silly to have genderless Pokemons. Genderless makes sense if the Pokemon is based on an object (Magnemite, Voltorb, Porygon, for example). You can't classify them as male or female because they don't have genitalias.

If the Pokemon doesn't have penis or vagina, it cannot be male or female.

Ver-mont

Yes, yo know, it's kind of silly to have genderless animals in the real world too. Ridiculous even.

Hidden Power

Yes, yo know, it's kind of silly to have genderless animals in the real world too. Ridiculous even.

You better use the sarcasm tag.

Though I believe in biology macro organisms are either male, female or hermaphrodite.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
No, it is not silly to have genderless Pokemons. Genderless makes sense if the Pokemon is based on an object (Magnemite, Voltorb, Porygon, for example). You can't classify them as male or female because they don't have genitalias.

If the Pokemon doesn't have penis or vagina, it cannot be male or female.
Tell that to the supporters of the pokémon-use-celebi-and-jirachi-to-reproduce theory supporters XD

Though in seriousness, I can see why magnemite and voltorb are genderless, being seemingly robots, the beldum line may or may not be robotic but are obviously based on non-animals and could reproduce asexually, and ditto are apparently hermaphrodites, but I do have to wonder about things like staryu. How exactly do those reproduce in the wild?

Come to think of it, I am starting to wonder if that statement actually makes sense. Banettes are spirits possessing stuffed toys, which obviously don't have genitals, but they can have genders. Gastly don't even have bodies and are just made of gas, but they can have genders and can breed. And koffing don't look any more organic than solrock, yet only koffing can be male and female and actually breed. It's quite odd, really.

briguin

Dr. Geek
The inanimate objects being genderless makes sense. But the fact that they can only breed with Ditto is beyond me.
I just want Heatran to be genderless, that's all.

*~Silver*~

Oh yes. I've done it. xD I always thought of Lugia as a girl, even thought I'd see The Power of One, it just still seemed like a girl. xD

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
but I do have to wonder about things like staryu. How exactly do those reproduce in the wild?

IRL, starfish can reproduce by regeneration, if you were to cut a starfish in half, instead of dying both halves would grow into two new starfish. I imagine it's the same way with Staryu and Starmie.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I keep in mind the anime =/= game rule. So for genderless Pokémon like Legendaries, I just go by what I think they look like. I consider Mew to be pretty girly, but it's very possible the Mew from the eighth movie is an entirely different Mew--even then, I consider the Mew we know as a female. I believe Darkrai is a male (the voice helps), just like Dialga and Palkia are both male as well as Giratina. I also think Celebi is a male (unless there are actually more than one Celebi out there, the fourth movie screwed that up with the ending), as well as Jirachi, and a few others. Yeah, I think there are more male Legendaries than there are female for some reason.

As for the normal genderless Pokémon, chances are majority of them are genderless, but as they're odd-looking Pokémon, the humans probably haven't been able to figure out where the sex organs are on them--if they have any to begin with. I'm not even sure if they do lay eggs to begin with, but as there are a bunch of them running around, they probably do breed. Thus this whole entire paragraph got contradicted left and right.

So it's more-or-less an opinionated question, since the franchise is never going to answer this.

Rakurai

Any Pokemon that's capable of breeding should have a gender, IMO. Mostly because it makes getting decent IVs on one a pain when you can only breed them with Dittos.

Quilava42

Blazing Flowers
Sometimes, it's weird for certain Pokemon that don't look like objects. Even for Legendaries it is because like..... some look like a female or male.... like Virizion looking like a female or Uxie looking like a male. I'd be OK for the Magnemite line or the Baltoy line or other things like that.