• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Genderless Pokemon

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Delibird (don't know if that's legendary but I've heard it is)

you definitely remembered the wrong Pokemon

Anyway, I do consider some genderless Legends as having a certain gender.

Virizion = female
Terrakion & Cobalion = male
Mesprite = female
Uxie & Azelf = male
Mew = female
Meloetta = female (this one is really puzzling, no one will ever know why GF didn't give it a female gender, despite the obvious little girl appearance, not to mention apparently the suffix -etta only applies to female's names)
Shaymin = female
Dialga-Palkia-Giratina = male
Raikou-Entei-Suicune = male

As for the other genderless Legends, I simply believe there are both male and female variant, or in the case of the Weather Trio and the Regi Trio + Regigigas, they are indeed genderless.

Ditto B1tch

Well if they all lay eggs, I guess they have avian anatomy, so their waste looks like... well, bird poop. Unless the mammals are just all egg-laying mammals in which case, the same way echidnas and platypi urinate/defecate.

*beat*

Yeah...

Pokemons have sexual organs. They just aren't shown because of age restrictions.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
There are genderless pokemon, yes, but I have come to the assumption that the it is up to the player, or viewer, to decide what gender a genderless pokemon is. Like Mewtwo, for example, is clearly male in the movie, while it can be assumed that Mew is female. Their outward appearance followed by a possible human voice and personality attributes greatly to whether one can assume if its a boy or a girl.

Another example is Mesprit. Mesprit is genderless, but in just about every let's play or fanfiction I've read, Mesprit is referred to in the female perspective. This is most likely due to it having pink tendril like appendages off of its (her) head and it (her) being the being of emotion. Whereas Azelf and Uxie are referred to in the masculine term. The being of willpower and knowledge, although these terms are characteristics to females also, have more of a masculine tone. I don't know if that came out quite right. I'm not saying that boys are smarter than girls or vice versa, I'm just saying that for the sake of the trio (that usually has one female esque member, excluding trios when needed) the emotion third is more suitable for a female.

Anyway, it's really up to you to decide for genderless pokemon. I usually like to say Manaphy is a girl, but I kinda think its a boy from time to time. So it really is just up to the player : )

Ironfish

pokemon scientist
Pokemons have sexual organs. They just aren't shown because of age restrictions.

well imagine one off your favorite pokemon with a ****, they way they is egg forms around the female pokemon and it taken by the day care man and given to you and when it ''hatches'' it transforms into the pokemon rather than come out of an egg or at least that how it's been described

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
To add on to Shine's confusion about Meloetta, it is shown in the recent Japanese airings of the anime that Oshawott actually fell in love with the Meloetta in the anime. Since Oshawott is clearly male, Meloetta must be a female (in the anime at least.)

Moonrox

Shaymin Enthusiast
you definitely remembered the wrong Pokemon

Anyway, I do consider some genderless Legends as having a certain gender.

Virizion = female
Terrakion & Cobalion = male
Mesprite = female
Uxie & Azelf = male
Mew = female
Meloetta = female (this one is really puzzling, no one will ever know why GF didn't give it a female gender, despite the obvious little girl appearance, not to mention apparently the suffix -etta only applies to female's names)
Shaymin = female
Dialga-Palkia-Giratina = male
Raikou-Entei-Suicune = male

As for the other genderless Legends, I simply believe there are both male and female variant, or in the case of the Weather Trio and the Regi Trio + Regigigas, they are indeed genderless.

Two things.
Firstly, Suicune is clearly more feminine than masculine. The way it moves, walks, and looks lead me to this conclusion.
Finally, and most importantly, Shaymin a girl? I guess it's appearance is why most people think this, but the anime (and whatever movie with Giratina) show a ton of Shaymin appearing, and the games mention multiple Shaymin at once. In it's appearance with Giratina, it's voice was a lot more masculine.

Ironfish

pokemon scientist
Two things.
Firstly, Suicune is clearly more feminine than masculine. The way it moves, walks, and looks lead me to this conclusion.
Finally, and most importantly, Shaymin a girl? I guess it's appearance is why most people think this, but the anime (and whatever movie with Giratina) show a ton of Shaymin appearing, and the games mention multiple Shaymin at once. In it's appearance with Giratina, it's voice was a lot more masculine.

it's a matter of opinion

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I call all of the legendaries except Latias, Cresslia, and Virizion males.

And all this talk about regeneration reminds me, why in Arceus' name does Staryu/Starmie not have Regenerator?
I believe Regenerator came out in GenIV

I always considered Virizion as a female. It's crazy to think something as complex as a pokemon is genderless. The only things in our world that are "genderless" are certain types of bacteria that reproduce asexually.
Imagine the animals that are hermaphroditic, like those mussels. They change from male to female all the time, but in a Pokemon game, that'd be hard to program. So they become "genderless" to avoid confusion.

At least Porygon has an excuse for being genderless. But that doesn't back up the organic/nonmechanical pokemon. If Shedinja is the shed skin of a Nincada as it is about to evolve, wouldn't it make sense that Shedinja should have the same gender as the Nincada it came from?
When your skin falls off, is it male? female? I'd say neither. It is dead, genderless, and it can't reproduce.

To add on to Shine's confusion about Meloetta, it is shown in the recent Japanese airings of the anime that Oshawott actually fell in love with the Meloetta in the anime. Since Oshawott is clearly male, Meloetta must be a female (in the anime at least.)
Or that particular Oshawott's homosexual.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
I keep in mind the anime =/= game rule. So for genderless Pokémon like Legendaries, I just go by what I think they look like. I consider Mew to be pretty girly, but it's very possible the Mew from the eighth movie is an entirely different Mew--even then, I consider the Mew we know as a female. I believe Darkrai is a male (the voice helps), just like Dialga and Palkia are both male as well as Giratina. I also think Celebi is a male (unless there are actually more than one Celebi out there, the fourth movie screwed that up with the ending), as well as Jirachi, and a few others. Yeah, I think there are more male Legendaries than there are female for some reason.

As for the normal genderless Pokémon, chances are majority of them are genderless, but as they're odd-looking Pokémon, the humans probably haven't been able to figure out where the sex organs are on them--if they have any to begin with. I'm not even sure if they do lay eggs to begin with, but as there are a bunch of them running around, they probably do breed. Thus this whole entire paragraph got contradicted left and right.

So it's more-or-less an opinionated question, since the franchise is never going to answer this.

Agree to this. Though this is how I perceive the Legendaries Genders. (some will be repeated)

I. either Male / Female (due to sprite color/aesthetics)
Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Manaphy, Shaymin (both formes), Victini, Uxie, Azelf, Phione, Suicune, Heatran, Arceus

II. Mostly feminine
Cresselia, Shaymin (both formes), Latias, Kyogre, Mesprit, Meloetta, Reshiram, Mew, Celebi, Phione, Suicune, Arceus

III. Mostly Masculine
Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo, Entei, Raikou, Latios, Groudon, Rayquaza, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Darkrai, Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion, Keldeo, Zekrom, Kyurem, Jirachi, Manaphy, Victini, Uxie, Azelf, Heatran

Ditto B1tch

Like Mewtwo, for example, is clearly male in the movie, while it can be assumed that Mew is female. Their outward appearance followed by a possible human voice and personality attributes greatly to whether one can assume if its a boy or a girl.

If Mew is female and Mewtwo is a clone of Mew, then Mewtwo should be also female. o_O

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
Imagine the animals that are hermaphroditic, like those mussels. They change from male to female all the time, but in a Pokemon game, that'd be hard to program. So they become "genderless" to avoid confusion.

Or that particular Oshawott's homosexual.
But Cryogonal is not a mussel, frog, or fish. A lot of frogs in the world are hermaphroditic and yet the Poliwag, Croagunk, and Tympole lines have genders.

And im pretty sure Japan never intended Oshawott to be homosexual in a show that targets younger children.

Ditto B1tch

Is it also irritating for you that Rufflet/Braviary and Vullaby/Mandibuzz are gender counterparts? They're totally different from each other, based on different birds. While Rufflet and Braviary were based on sort of an eagle, Vullaby and Mandibuzz were based on vulture. It's not the same case of Nidoking and Nidoqueen, which share several similar aspects being both based on a rhino or dinossaur-like creature. It was a surprise for me when I noticed that Rufflet/Braviary were only male and Vullaby/Mandibuzz were only female.

Ver-mont

In the Anime, Virizion is referred to as "she" iirc,
and Terrakion/Cobalion are males, not saying
you can't think any way though.

Well, it's not like the anime is even canon anyway. We've seen a Lugia baby too, and that's impossible in the games.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Is it also irritating for you that Rufflet/Braviary and Vullaby/Mandibuzz are gender counterparts? They're totally different from each other, based on different birds. While Rufflet and Braviary were based on sort of an eagle, Vullaby and Mandibuzz were based on vulture. It's not the same case of Nidoking and Nidoqueen, which share several similar aspects being both based on a rhino or dinossaur-like creature. It was a surprise for me when I noticed that Rufflet/Braviary were only male and Vullaby/Mandibuzz were only female.

This. Nothing about their design suggests that they are gender specific.

Hidden Power

It doesn't make sense at all, I guess Mandibuzz was meant to be
more feminine and braviary more masculine, but they barely resemble it.

I thought their design made them pretty gender specific already, especially for Mandibuzz. As for being gender counterparts to each other, it's definitely weird to link two unrelated species. Then again, gender counterparts have been pretty irregular since the beginning. We have totally separated Pokemon families that resembles each other (Nidoran's family), we get those that only differ by forms (Jellicent, Unfezant), and now we have counterparts that aren't even related by design and/or species. The breeding rule makes it all the more confusing.