• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Genderless Pokemon

supersmew

Let me heal your ⓗ♈ʒ
I was always bugged by how Alakazam could be female. I mean... It has a mustache...

Super Llama

Aussie Poké Trainer
The Johto dogs should have genders, they were ordinary Pokémon before they burned to death in the Brass Tower.
Perhaps their remains were too uhh.. burnt.. for Ho-oh to recognise them as male or female. Or Ho-oh needed to remove their abilities to reproduce in order t revive them.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Inversively, I didn't get how Heatran could have genders, I mean, it's magma/lava. But then I relized it might have burnt so many Geofude, it absorbed the gender or something creepy like that.

IndigoAir

Myth Hunter
Maybe most legendary Pokemon just haven't been given genders because most of them are so elusive that no one's ever been able to study them enough to figure it out. I don't know how they did manage to figure it out for Cresselia and stuff though.

I don't have a problem with genderless Pokemon, but their decisions on which ones fall into this category are a bit odd. I mean Beldum doesn't have a gender, presumably because it's made out of steel. But Geodude's just a rock with arms. As someone else said, Gastly is just a ball of gas that can breed somehow.

PKMN TRAINER Oliver

ポケットモンスタ一
Magnemite line: I do understand how they are genderless, but as to why a the ghastly line do have genders...
...Well, maybe that's OK because ghosts do have genders but as to how they can breed o_O

*~Silver*~

Magnemite line: I do understand how they are genderless, but as to why a the ghastly line do have genders...
...Well, maybe that's OK because ghosts do have genders but as to how they can breed o_O

Yeah... I always thought the Ghastly line should be genderless too... They're a Pokemon that is literally made out of vapor...
As for the last part of that post... Awkward question, but I guess pretty reasonable... Let's not answer it. -_-

Ditto B1tch

Ghost Pokemons could transform into genitalia, on that way, they can breed with any Pokemon. That's my theory.

Inferno Vulpix

Despicably Average
I personally think that when Pokemon are genderless it's supposed to mean that they are so far away from common biology that the laws of gender don't apply to them. Pokemon like the Magnemite line are genderless because they're animated magnets and metal. Almost nothing about them resembles humans or animals, so they don't really need to have a gender. As for legendary Pokemon, while some of them are easy to apply a gender to, such as Mewtwo being male or Mesprit being female, and they are relatively close to common biology, the whole thing about genderless meant that they were so different from us due to their enormous powers that the rules of gender didn't apply. Just think, comparing a human or regular Pokemon to beings that rule, and can warp to their will, time and space, the gap is far too vast to assume they go by the same logic we do. Also, I'm sure the whole 'unbreedable' and 'genders didn't exist on normal Pokemon in Gen I' helped with that a bit as well.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
This is a random thing but I wanted to know what your opinions are. When I was younger and The First movie came out, I saw Mew and thought it was a girl...growing up I still believe Mew is a girl XD Do any of you guys do that (If it looks girly it's a girl and if it looks masculine it's a boy)??? or am I the weird one? and What do you think about them in general, like how do you feel about there being Genderless pokemon? :025ball: ;209;

First despite Mew having no offical gender I still like to refer to it as a girl. As for genderless Pokemon in general? The only gripe I have with them is the fact that there immune to infatuation. Unless Obivoius is one of there abilities they should be prone to infatuation REGARDLESS of the opponents gender! Apparently genderless Pokemon just don't have feelings.

Xadium

Poliwhirl Enthusiast
Yes, I think that it should be common practice for most pokemon to have genders.

Also, person above me, why the "nya~"? Is it really needed?

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
The term Genderless seems to be misinterpreted.

It doesn't mean that it has no gender, it just means that it's unknown. Hell, in Pokedex 3D, it explicitly calls it "Gender unknown".

In some cases like Magnemite or Golurk, I dunno, really.

ToeyJoey

The Count
The term Genderless seems to be misinterpreted.

It doesn't mean that it has no gender, it just means that it's unknown. Hell, in Pokedex 3D, it explicitly calls it "Gender unknown".

In some cases like Magnemite or Golurk, I dunno, really.

So, the reason no-one can breed "Genderless" Pokemon is because we're just really unlucky and we just keep putting females together and we don't know it?

ven?

Kanto Region Champ
Genderless pokemon, sounds like ground worms to me, it's as if pokemon is trying to make pokemon even more based off of life and thats a neat concept, So what if it takes away from easy breeding, whats wrong with making the game a little bit harder for everyone.

Hidden Power

Genderless pokemon, sounds like ground worms to me, it's as if pokemon is trying to make pokemon even more based off of life and thats a neat concept, So what if it takes away from easy breeding, whats wrong with making the game a little bit harder for everyone.

It's more of a nuisance rather than making the game harder. If they wanted to take away breeding to increase difficulty it would have been applied to all Pokemon, as is seen in B2W2 pre-E4. Moreover, none of the genderless Pokemon that can breed with Ditto are organic by nature, so your comparison with ground worms is rather illogical.

UnovaCastaway

I think the animalian legendaries are really tough to breed in captivity which is why they are unable to breed in games. (just like many real life endangered species)

At first look, I consider Articuno and Moltres female, Zapdos male, Raikou and Entei male, Suicune can be either, Meloetta obviously female, Cobalion and Terrakion male, Virizion female, etc. Of course, the anime has shown that there are multiples of many legendary species, so if there are indeed more than one of a given legendary, then all bets are off. Then they either do have genders that people haven't found out yet, or maybe they're true hermaphrodites.

The Regis would always be genderless because they look like robotic lifeforms akin to Golurk, etc.