• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Anime and Manga Discussion: Because Why Not?

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
I never read the manga never mind the fact I had never heard of the series until recently, but it looks amazing and manly.

I strongly recommend reading it, even the first five or so chapters. They're only half the length of normal manga chapters but Murata's art is incredible and the writing is top-notch comedy.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
I don't know which I'm more excited for, the anime adaption of One-Punch Man, or the 3rd season of Yuru Yuri

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
I've been blasting it's OP on my way to work every morning. I get weird looks but those people aren't well versed in the art of cute girls doing cute things

Sorry but that's more than a little cringey. I use headphones for that stuff.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
One Punch Man obviously.

Obviously, but I had to acknowledge Yuru Yuri since I like it

The frontrunners for studios for One Punch Man I've seen are Bones, Madhouse, and Sunrise. Sunrise, because of the Bandai Visual, mainly, and the other 2 because people like them. I don't know how any will really give it justice, though.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
The frontrunners for studios for One Punch Man I've seen are Bones, Madhouse, and Sunrise. Sunrise, because of the Bandai Visual, mainly, and the other 2 because people like them. I don't know how any will really give it justice, though.

If anyone can, it's Madhouse. Sunrise and Bones can if they just constantly crank it up to 11.

Just as important, I need Sugita to play Saitama. I can't imagine anyone else pulling it off.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
If anyone can, it's Madhouse. Sunrise and Bones can if they just constantly crank it up to 11.

Maybe we'll get someone totally out of left field and get Trigger or IG Productions.

Just as important, I need Sugita to play Saitama. I can't imagine anyone else pulling it off.

I can imagine two others. Yuuichi Nakamura, who played Kintoki, and Hiroshi Kamiya, who plays Arararararagi. Not as well, but they'd be acceptable replacements

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
The anime industry wont be complete until a Yostubato! anime is a thing.
This should of been a thing a long time ago

Well unless an animation studio wants to disrespect Kiyohiko Azuma's wishes in not allowing an anime adaptation because he believes it being animated can't do it justice, you two are going to be forever staring into that hole that only Yotsuba&! can fill in. So according to you two, the anime industry will forever be incomplete. However, even if it actually happens, the anime industry is forever going to be incomplete because Satoshi Kon's no longer with us, and Dream Machine is still in development hell.

Jolteon91

iDOLM@STER Fanboy
Well unless an animation studio wants to disrespect Kiyohiko Azuma's wishes in not allowing an anime adaptation because he believes it being animated can't do it justice, you two are going to be forever staring into that hole that only Yotsuba&! can fill in. So according to you two, the anime industry will forever be incomplete. However, even if it actually happens, the anime industry is forever going to be incomplete because Satoshi Kon's no longer with us, and Dream Machine is still in development hell.

It wouldn't really be disrespecting his wishes since, if it did happen, he'd have agreed that finally someone can do the show justice. Just give it to Silver Link and tell them to do exactly what they did with Non Non Biyori.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
It wouldn't really be disrespecting his wishes since, if it did happen, he'd have agreed that finally someone can do the show justice. Just give it to Silver Link and tell them to do exactly what they did with Non Non Biyori.

Well I suppose if they can prove they can capture the charm of the manga, but I dunno. What I had meant when I said "disrespecting his wishes", I had in mind the thought of the anime happening sometime after his passing (because who knows if he will ever change his mind/allow an anime to happen while he's still alive), but I don't think such a thing would happen. It's hard to say, I suppose anything's possible at this point, and from what I read on the article, it didn't look like he was against the idea, he just couldn't see it working. Reminds me a lot of Bill Watterson turning down the idea of an animation of Calvin and Hobbes (even though he likes the medium).

(So I don't know if this should be in the spoiler tag or not, but I had something on my mind I just wanted to throw out. Figured this thread would be the best place to express my thoughts.)

So I finally watched the third Madoka Magica movie which is probably not a good idea to watch at night especially since it's one in the morning right now, and I feel like I wasted time watching the series. I feel I shouldn't have watched the third movie, because it just wrecked everything I felt about the series, but it also made me realize that I never really had a liking for the series to begin with, even though I do recall at first liking what I was seeing before it wore off after a while. I only really watched it because it's magical girl and people raved about it. I never cared about the characters at all as evident at how I forgot what they were like shortly after finishing the TV series/two movies (though Homura I felt was kind of creepy in how she expressed her feelings for Madoka, and Madoka herself being useless despite her name being in the title). The series eventually stopped making sense to the point of frustration and tried its damndest to be dark while deconstructing the magical girl genre, and in the end, I feel like I should be pissed off at the ending. But I'm not because I don't care about the anime.

There's nothing wrong with there being a dark magical girl anime, but I don't think Madoka Magica really did it justice for me. All it is is basically Shaft showing off their cooleo animation skillz and budget, and being the magical girl version of Evangelion (except Evangelion didn't make me feel angry at it despite me not having any real opinion on the show, that's the only difference between the two). And while the art direction's unique, I'll admit it, it sometimes made me dizzy and it was hard to keep up with some things at times, as things were almost always busy onscreen (mainly when it came to the labyrinths). Like the TV series, the movie may have had twists, but I knew things were way off from the start, and I even started making (mostly correct) guesses as it went on and asked questions it tried to dance around to the point the third act wasn't a big "HOLY CRAP NO WAY" moment as it was "Ugh, are you kidding me?"

This is probably petty of me, but I don't care, I needed to get something off my chest and loosen up this scowl while the movie ran its credits. Do I regret watching the series? No, for what it is, I cannot deny its success and that it deserves the recognition it has, but I don't plan on watching it again anytime soon especially now that I know that the outcome's basically moot. Even if it was foreshadowed in the actual show, I still feel like I was trolled/flipped the bird despite not really having strong feelings for the characters and show in general.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
The series eventually stopped making sense to the point of frustration

This probably the main thing people didn't notice about movie. A ton of people missed how it actually did make sense, but you gotta really look and pay attention which could be frustrating to some. Take the cake song, something people said made no sense.

There is a big (eerie) backstory to this song.
You see, Mami is cheese because Bebe and at the beginning of the movie she says "turn into cheese" to indicate her transformation. Bebe thinks Mami looks like cheese when she transforms, which is why Charlotte at Mami.
-
Sayaka is a raspberry, because although she is sweet, she has a strong bitter/sour tone to herself.
-
Madoka is the melon. They say she is sweet. When a melon breaks, it creates a sweet dream. This makes an immense amount of connections between Madoka's personality and their melon metaphor.
-
Homura is the pumpkin. Before they say suggest she's the cake, the point out the circle goes round and round in circles. Seem familiar? Anyways, she is the pumpkin, because she puts on a strong mask on the outside, but she's soft on the outside; also, she never fades away.
-
Kyoko is the apple. For Kyoko, the apples represent the sin/regret of her wish and the selfish attitude she adopts in order to survive and not be filled with grief. She offers the apple to Sayaka in the original series as a way of trying to convince Sayaka to adopt Kyoko's ideals and to avoid being filled with regret.

The apple isn't necessarily sharing actual characteristics of Kyoko but rather it represents the motives and ideals of her character.

Yeah, all that explanation for a 2 minute song lol. There stuff like throughout the entire movie

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
There is a big (eerie) backstory to this song.
You see, Mami is cheese because Bebe and at the beginning of the movie she says "turn into cheese" to indicate her transformation. Bebe thinks Mami looks like cheese when she transforms, which is why Charlotte at Mami.
-
Sayaka is a raspberry, because although she is sweet, she has a strong bitter/sour tone to herself.
-
Madoka is the melon. They say she is sweet. When a melon breaks, it creates a sweet dream. This makes an immense amount of connections between Madoka's personality and their melon metaphor.
-
Homura is the pumpkin. Before they say suggest she's the cake, the point out the circle goes round and round in circles. Seem familiar? Anyways, she is the pumpkin, because she puts on a strong mask on the outside, but she's soft on the outside; also, she never fades away.
-
Kyoko is the apple. For Kyoko, the apples represent the sin/regret of her wish and the selfish attitude she adopts in order to survive and not be filled with grief. She offers the apple to Sayaka in the original series as a way of trying to convince Sayaka to adopt Kyoko's ideals and to avoid being filled with regret.

The apple isn't necessarily sharing actual characteristics of Kyoko but rather it represents the motives and ideals of her character.

Yeah, all that explanation for a 2 minute song lol. There stuff like throughout the entire movie

I had no problem with the cake song (even though it technically came out of nowhere, much like other things in the film that made me throw my hands up when they happened), but how does that move the plot along, or even foreshadow the ending? All it does is make a callback to the series.

Also, I just remembered, I don't think they ever brought up the wishes/dreams of magical girls in the film. I mean, that was why they became magical girls, right? Because they had a strong wish they wanted to come true. So how come that didn't come (back) into play for the film, if at all? Maybe then it would've helped the ending not be as sudden and "UGH" worthy as it came off.