• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Humans turning into Pokémon. Mega Evolution without need for Mega or Keystone. The inconsistent and entire reworking on some parts of the Type Chart. thunder armor
Its done plenty improv.

Oh for Rematches I'm fine. It was nainly just first Matches. I could see the last two Gums having Megas, but I'd still be iffy because it just feels tacked on as a way to make the last two special, even if prior Leaders were established with Mega Evolution and were holding back (like they likely were. Its canon Gym Leaders have multiple copies of the same Pokémon at different Levels).

All of those are alterations of present mechanics, not new mechanics. 'Humans turning into Pokemon' was a short gimmick, not a whole fleshed out mechanic like Ash Greninja.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I'm hoping that the Champion, E4s, your Rival, and other unique trainers use the Ash-Greninja method so their mains seem unique and all, but then lesser, but still strong trainers use Mega Evolution.

I'd rather see the Sun and Moon characters stick with real megas themselves actually. And I hope that several common Sun and Moon trainer classes will use megas also, not just major characters this time. I think it'd make even ordinary battles more interesting. ^^

Last edited:

DotKU

Champion
I'd rather see the Sun and Moon characters stick with real megas themselves actually. And I hope that several common Sun and Moon trainer classes will use megas also, not just major characters this time. I think it'd make even ordinary battles more interesting. ^^

To add on to that, if indeed we do get to revisit Kalos in SM a la Gen 2, I really hope the gym leaders and elite four have a better mix/megas

giu

All of those are alterations of present mechanics, not new mechanics. 'Humans turning into Pokemon' was a short gimmick, not a whole fleshed out mechanic like Ash Greninja.
The anime deviates very much from games. It exist just to advertise the new Pokemons and the game in general, and not to introduce new features. It's a lot of filler togetter. Why people think it actually show the games plot and region? Not even the mechanic are the same. The manga follow more the games, and not even this show any mechanic before the game.

At best Ash Greninja's design is how it will look mega evolved.

Ash Greninja isn't going to be as big a thing in the games if the method makes its way over.

Yes, there is a disconnect between the anime and the games, but some underlying game principles are still intact. ME stones are about as common in the anime as they are in the games. If they were to do something similar with this new method, well, remember that it's only happened one other time in the history of Pokémon as far as the anime timeline is aware, hundreds of years ago.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
If Ash-Greninja isn't going to be in the new games in some way, shape, or form, then it literally has no reason to exist. Why would they put in a cool feature and then be like "Lel, nope, anime exclusive."

Edit: Not to mention, it's already in Pokemon Picross and (I think) is coming to Shuffle.

Last edited:

Orphalesion

Oh God please no.

Ash-Greninja is one of those things I want to reamin firmly Animé-only. It's like that one bad Pokémon ReBurst Manga. Pokémon-Human fusions and soul links in general are just territories I never want to cross again.

I don't like Mega Evolution to begin with, though it does makes sense lore wise since i figure it is just that "secret power that unlocks when people help pokemon become stronger yadda yadda yadda" we have been hearing about since Gen 1.
I think that any sort of soul-link would just be a re-hash of this concept. It seems to me they just threw it in there because Ash has to be the eternal underdog and Mega Evolution would make him/his pokemon too powerful. Haven't watched the anime since the Orange Islands, but Ash is still the same clueless idiot who just throws his Pikachu at any given opponent, right?

Nockturne

I don't get how Ash-Greninja would work in a game though, because its just that Geninja gets a power boost and Ash sees through its eyes and experiences the pain from the attacks that hit Greninja as well right?

Those are cool in an anime setting because it makes for some interesting visuals and the added peril of Ash being injured, but we never even see the trainer during battles in game (save for the mega evolution animation) and its not like the player has a life bar so who cares if they feel the attacks in battle?

Half of the aspects of Ash-Greninja just don't even apply in a video game setting, so as it stands it would be pointless mechanic.

If Ash-Greninja isn't going to be in the new games in some way, shape, or form, then it literally has no reason to exist. Why would they put in a cool feature and then be like "Lel, nope, anime exclusive."

Edit: Not to mention, it's already in Pokemon Picross and (I think) is coming to Shuffle.
Ash-Greninja has always seemed to me like the anime getting around the fact that Ash doesn't have any mega evos on his Kalos team but they still want to include megas in the anime from time to time, so they came up with a way for Ash to realistically be able to hold his own against them.

I know he has mega Pokemon with Oak but they only ever seem to include old Pokemon if they get an evolution that gen (like Aipom in Sinnoh) so they can showcase as many new mons as possible. So if he brought his Charizard, Sceptile or Heracross he'd need to mega evolve it every time he used it which would be OP and kinda over kill. Whereas with Greninja, even when he's not going all voodoo doll, its still a new Pokemon.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I don't like Mega Evolution to begin with, though it does makes sense lore wise since i figure it is just that "secret power that unlocks when people help pokemon become stronger yadda yadda yadda" we have been hearing about since Gen 1.
I think that any sort of soul-link would just be a re-hash of this concept. It seems to me they just threw it in there because Ash has to be the eternal underdog and Mega Evolution would make him/his pokemon too powerful. Haven't watched the anime since the Orange Islands, but Ash is still the same clueless idiot who just throws his Pikachu at any given opponent, right?
XY is my first anime season(s), so I don't really know how much Ash has changed, but most people say that he is better than in previous seasons.
Anyways, I'm pretty sure Ash Greninja is just as strong as a Mega Evolution, so this would make his Pokemon just as powerful.

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
XY is my first anime season(s), so I don't really know how much Ash has changed, but most people say that he is better than in previous seasons.
Anyways, I'm pretty sure Ash Greninja is just as strong as a Mega Evolution, so this would make his Pokemon just as powerful.

He is better than he has been in many past seasons. He's definitely better than he was in BW, and he is greater than or at the very least equal to his DP self in battling ability, in my opinion. As for Ash-Greninja, I think that the jury is still out on whether or not he can beat a well-trained Mega Evolution. Unless Sawyer is shown to improve by leaps and bounds from his previous performances, I wouldn't see Ash-Greninja beating his Mega Sceptile as all that great an accomplishment. After all, we have Mega Evolution Trainers like Alain, who can beat Elite Four Megas, and we have Korrina and her Mega Lucario who lost to Pikachu. If Ash-Greninja beat Alain's Mega Charizard X or Astrid's Mega Absol, then I'll see him as being the equal of a Mega. Until we see a bigger body of work from him, though, the jury will still be out on his true power. And there is also the fact of Ash and Greninja having yet to master the form as of this posting.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Ash is definitely better now than in BW, and around the same level as in DP.
I just... don't want Ash-Greninja to happen. At all.

Aaanyway, I'm actually really curious as to what sort of Pokémon the Rival(s) will use this time around. There doesn't really seem to be much consistency other than additional Fire/Water/Grass, the Regional Burd, and as of late, Raichu. I have to admit seeing some other Pokémon like Swinub being used would be cool.

ninijatt

Half, ninja, half cat, all attitude
There's always been BS in the anime but this is the only time it's completely focused on it's "BS" Ash-Greninja might not make an appearance in the games (considering the lack of Ash) but the concept will still be there no doubt. It'll probably end up being glorified Mega Evolution just like Primal Reversion. How about since the trainer is supposed to take damage, you can only use it once per battle and it wears off after a couple of turn as a safety precaution or something. I would not be surprised if it's absent from the game entirely and then the final boss is just like "surprise ,I can do this thing!" and during the fight there's a button to activate it for yourself too. But there's probably going to be some sort of build-up to it, maybe that'll be the professor's field of study this time around?

Last edited:
I'm hoping for a female professor again, just for diversity's sake. Hopefully she'll be older, Rowan and Oak were so interesting because o their experience.

Orphalesion

There's always been BS in the anime but this is the only time it's completely focused on it's "BS" Ash-Greninja might not make an appearance in the games (considering the lack of Ash) but the concept will still be there no doubt. It'll probably end up being glorified Mega Evolution just like Primal Reversion. How about since the trainer is supposed to take damage, you can only use it once per battle and it wears off after a couple of turn as a safety precaution or something. I would not be surprised if it's absent from the game entirely and then the final boss is just like "surprise ,I can do this thing!" and during the fight there's a button to activate it for yourself too. But there's probably going to be some sort of build-up to it, maybe that'll be the professor's field of study this time around?

The problem with that would of course be that it would force you to use a specific pokemon/one of a very limited selection. One of the problems I have with mega evolution was that i don't want to be forced to use "x" pokemon to utilize it.
With pokemon being all about individual team building, I very much dislike anything that narrows, let along forces your number of options.

I'm hoping for a female professor again, just for diversity's sake. Hopefully she'll be older, Rowan and Oak were so interesting because o their experience.

An older female professor who is not classical pretty/"hot" would be marvellous!

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
The problem with that would of course be that it would force you to use a specific pokemon/one of a very limited selection. One of the problems I have with mega evolution was that i don't want to be forced to use "x" pokemon to utilize it.
With pokemon being all about individual team building, I very much dislike anything that narrows, let along forces your number of options.

An older female professor who is not classical pretty/"hot" would be marvellous!

Well, you don't have to use Mega Evolution. Heck, some Megas aren't even that good, and many other normal Pokémon outclass them yet.
Besides, a Mega is definitely not a necessity to win or anything.

I mean, I understand it limits options, which I'm against too, but its really not all too bad.

It'd be interesting to have a younger professor in his early 20s. Probably recently studied off from Oak/Rowan/Sycamore/whatever and started their own lab. Would be a prety cool explanation as to why nobody wlse has a Pokédex in the Region yet.

.Aerodactyl.

I'm predicting that all Pokémon will be able to "fusion" evolve or whatever we are calling it like Ash Greninja... But hear me out. I think it l's going to require something, like max friendship and/or max Pokémon Amie happiness. I think it will add boosts in stats to Pokémon without the item hold that Mega Evolution requires...and I think they will accomplish the evolution by just changing the colour scheme of the model. Maybe even Megas can also fusion evolve or whatever on top of mega evolving. I think changing colours is the only way to make it widely available without making new forms for EVERY Pokémon. Or we will only be able to fusion evolve with our starters or something. I don't know what it would mean for competitive play as a whole... Perhaps they will eliminate IV's, and "fusion" evolving just adds those otherwise lost stats back in?

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
I'm predicting that all Pokémon will be able to "fusion" evolve or whatever we are calling it like Ash Greninja... But hear me out. I think it l's going to require something, like max friendship and/or max Pokémon Amie happiness. I think it will add boosts in stats to Pokémon without the item hold that Mega Evolution requires...and I think they will accomplish the evolution by just changing the colour scheme of the model. Maybe even Megas can also fusion evolve or whatever on top of mega evolving. I think changing colours is the only way to make it widely available without making new forms for EVERY Pokémon. Or we will only be able to fusion evolve with our starters or something. I don't know what it would mean for competitive play as a whole... Perhaps they will eliminate IV's, and "fusion" evolving just adds those otherwise lost stats back in?

So basically Shiny with Stat Boosts.

I still abhor the idea of Pokémon fusions, soul bonds, etc.
But I admit that it at the leadt makes Pokémon-Amie not Competetively useless.

... i still hate the idea though

.Aerodactyl.

So basically Shiny with Stat Boosts.

I still abhor the idea of Pokémon fusions, soul bonds, etc.
But I admit that it at the leadt makes Pokémon-Amie not Competetively useless.

... i still hate the idea though

I don't know if I like it either to be honest, but it seems the only plausible way to add in the feature... I like your phrasing. Shinies with stat boosts.

Or it vwill be just a one Pokémon thing and work like rayquaza's mega evolution. Who knows? I'm honestly just curious what their plan is with this and why they did it with Greninja in the first place...like shouldn't Ash and Pikachu have that kind of bond? It felt kind of random to me to suddenly do this with his Greninja. I feel like there is some kind of plan involved here.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
I don't know if I like it either to be honest, but it seems the only plausible way to add in the feature... I like your phrasing. Shinies with stat boosts.

Or it vwill be just a one Pokémon thing and work like rayquaza's mega evolution. Who knows? I'm honestly just curious what their plan is with this and why they did it with Greninja in the first place...like shouldn't Ash and Pikachu have that kind of bond? It felt kind of random to me to suddenly do this with his Greninja. I feel like there is some kind of plan involved here.

I really hope it just remains an Animé-only thing, which it seems to be edging to anyways. Animé and Games have always had completely different mechanics, with only stuff like Shuffle or Rumble World being seeped through.

I mean, outside of popularity for the ninjafrog, it makes no logical sense for Ash and Greninja to have that bond anyway, like you said.
Oh, I believe there's a plan alright, and that plan being to not give Ash a Mega and show that he can still beat Megas with just the Power of Friendship tm and just decimate Sawyer in the League.

Still don't want Ash Greninja in the game. I have literally never felt so adamant about something not being in a game.

TheGamingManc

Bajoonga Milk
Aside from Rivals, professors and the like, I'd love to see the return of Colress from Black and White 2. Everything about that guy was amazing, his team, his motives and his battle theme (mainly his battle theme). But i was thinking, his main motive was to unleash the maximum potential in his, and possibly all pokemon. We've already discovered mega evolution in this 'second timeline' and have recently been introduced to 'synergy'. As you may or may not know, synergy is a direct bond between person and pokemon and is different to mega evolution in that there is no stone and mega item needed. Now this got me thinking. The use of mega evolution may be down to Colress, as he always wanted to bring out the potential of his pokemon, and so invented these mega items in order to harness the power of the mega stones as he was not able to use the power of synergy. The fact that he is a scientist and this is all high tech development could lead us to believe colress is behind mega evolution.

On the other hand, it could be colress that has discovered synergy as he eventually managed to bring out the potential of his pokemon after many years of hard training. On his travels to achieve this, he may have found no use for the mega stones and scattered them across regions as he made his way across them. With the new advent of synergy, i hope we will see a return of colress in sun and moon, either to show us the true power of synergy, or reveal the true origins of mega evolution and how it came to be (I.E, his creation and how he achieved it)

This theory may be a bit out there, but I hope it is perfectly accepted as I would love a Colress return more than anything

Status
Not open for further replies.