1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have received legal notice about the sharing of certain images for Pokémon Sword & Shield. Due to this, we have a new rule. If you post said images, you will be removed from the forums until 15:00 UTC on November 14th 2019. We have also killed the leak discussion threads for the time being. Thank you for your patience during this. If you have any queries, use the contact form
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

General Character Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Pokémon - Generation VII Discussion' started by Endless, Feb 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirkac

dirkac I smash your Boxes.

Remember also that according to some NPCs in Anistat another Team came to Kalos a few years prior that was interested in the Sundial and Mega Evolution, and in Shalour City they described someone who sounds a lot like Colress.

Its entirely possible that Colress and his faction of Team Plasma went with him to Kalos to study up on Mega Evolution and further their research on power, which could be setting them up, or at least Cokress, to reappear in SM.

2. Aromatic Mist

Aromatic Mist Sensuble

Since Black/White 2 and XY take place at the same time (albeit in different universes), I think it'd make more sense if this is used as plot set up for Pokemon BW2 remakes and Mega Relevance. But even then that's at the very least about what, 2020 by the very earliest.

Tbh I'd take any reason for Colress to appear again with that theme :v

3. clbgolden12

clbgolden12 Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer

If I recall, an NPC at one of the Lumiose City Pokemon Centers talked about Team Plasma causing trouble in Unova, so XY most likely takes place after.

4. dirkac

When was it said they take place concurrently?
    In Lumiose they talk about Kyurem wreaking havoc so i doubt it.

5. Creyk

Creyk Well-Known Member

From what we have seen so far, do you think we can expect trainer designs to be better than they have been so far? It seems like they are trying a less chibi style

6. Aromatic Mist

Aromatic Mist Sensuble

Some higher up tweeted a rudimentary timeline, with it going Kanto/Hoenn, 3 Years, Johto/Sinnoh, ??? Years, Unova 1, 2 years, then Unova 2/Kalos. It explains things like why Looker isn't present in BW2, and is maybe why Cynthia isn't in XY.

Also, I don't remember them saying that. All I remember is them mentioning Plasma.

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/pvba5Ur

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  7. Sabre_King

Sabre_King Well-Known Member

I hope we at least get two rivals, I have been enjoying the chance to battle two rivals during the game. I think they should each be a male and female, while I feel it would be interesting if the female trainer received the starter strongest against your own, while the male receives the weaker starter. I would want them to share a similar role to our main rival in XY because they had a good number of rival battles plus we could re-battle them post game. I can see the female rival acting like the main rival in XY being almost like a mentor while a strong trainer, while the male rival I can see almost like a slacker trying to catch up with both of you which he does by the end of the game, that way both trainers are formidable to battle post game. That's just my thoughts on the rivals. One other side note would be the rivals parents. If we were to get two separate teams similar to Ruby and Sapphire then I think each rival could be the child of the separate bosses, obviously neither believes their parent is right. If it is a single enemy team then one child is the child of the enemy commander, while the other is related to either a gym member or elite four/champion. Any thoughts?

8. Aromatic Mist

Aromatic Mist Sensuble

I'm hoping for a rival more akin to Barry from DP. He always tended to have a good amount of Pokemon for that area, and I swear to god that Heracross is Satan.

9. Sprinter1988

Sprinter1988 Well-Known Member

I'm hoping that any rival we get actually remains a challenge throughout the game. Whether or not they are a jerk or your b.f.f is irrelevant. That I was ever meant to see Serena, Shauna, Tierno and Trevor as rivals was more of an insult than anything.

10. Mrs. Oreo

Mrs. Oreo Banned

I honestly don't expect anything too revolutionary from Sun and Moon's rival character's team cuz to me it seems like rivals all get fairly generic teams. I care more about the design of the rival in general. :3

11. giu

giu Well-Known Member

me too. I care for development. and hope they have a better personality than the xy rivals. They were bland as **** and too childish.
    i'd like an antagonistic female rival this time, and a friendly or neutral male rival.

12. Aromatic Mist

Aromatic Mist Sensuble

I'd have to disagree with the 'bland rival teams' statement, at least in regards to XY. Whilst Tierno did have a Fire/Water/Grass combo, it was without a starter so it was interesting, and his main was a Crawdaunt of all things. Shauna had a starter, a cute Delcatty, which matched her, and of all things, the pseudo legend. Trevor was interesting due to using Florges and Aerodactyl, but he had to use an Electric rodent. At least it was evolved though.

Serena/Calem, the actual rival, had quite an interesting team. Meowstic is annoying at best, with Light Screen and Fake Out. Absol was a cool surprise, I just wish it ME'd sooner. That thing is always evil on my 'equal number of Pokemon to major opponents' runs. The eeveelution was an interesting twist on the coverage rivals often get, but should've been put in the team earlier. Altaria? Meh, Drasna uses it later and Wally already did it, but it is still quite interesting. Clefable in the rematches was so left field I loved it.

I'm hoping for their team to be structured like Barry's. He was interesting because he had two older Pokemon (Snorlax, Heracross) which didn't have to have a reason for being there, whilst he had the type triangle cantered around the starter. Snorlax was annoyingly tanky, whilst Heracross was quite strong, and if left to its own devices, it'll wreck you.

Looking at Serena/Calem and the GL's move sets.... They have empty move slots, and I'm pretty sure the same is true for the E4, minus Diantha. Why?!?!? seriously hoping this doesn't happen again, the main reason Barry stuck out to me was his usage of TMs and the like, which sadly stopped with Cheren and Bianca having their monkeys spam Leer at you over... And over...

13. dirkac

I mean I was mainly talking about the Main Rivals.
    Wally, Shauna, Trevor, Tierno, and the non-PC from DP all jad fairly unorthodox teams and I like that.
    The main Rivals also only share Starters, a Flying Type, and a counter to your Starter (except Silver), which is basically all the consistency.
    Most other Mons have little to no consistency, which is good.
    May/Brendan's Raichu could have been replaced with something better imo since Trevor did the same thing, but eh.

Empty Moveslots, however, is not good.
    We haven't seen Empty Moveslots on major Trainers past the second Gym since Gen I,, and I don't see why we had to return to that.
    And yeah, Movesets have gotten worse overall. Gen IV peaked by having frankly the best Movesets during the Main-Game of any Pokémon Game, but Gen V and VI were just so much less impressive (yeah sure Hugh go spam Leer at me IN VICTORY ROAD).

Also as for Barry's orher two mons they kinda did have a reason for being there, if only for character development, since Barry is obvioudly super-impatient and yet Munchlax and Heracross can only by gotten through Honey Trees.
    Your Team can say quite a lot about who you are.

14. Aromatic Mist

Aromatic Mist Sensuble

The worst thing is, I'm pretty sure all the non important trainers in the game had full movests, especially since they at least have level up moves.

The most embarrassing has to be Korrina. Her Hawlucha is laughable, and when her Machoke gets taken out, she can't hit Ghosts at all. The worst part? There's a battle girl you meet before Korrina, who has a Hawlucha that has given me trouble multiple times! That things swept my team before, but Korrina just spams Hone Claws even if the next hit will beat it! And even ignoring Battle Girl Hedwig, Diantha's Hawlucha, albeit later, at least attempts a moveset.

In short, pretty much every character needs better teambuilding.

I just hope rival isn't just stuck with trailerbirb, I was so happy when Bianca and Calem/Serena didn't have Pidove/Fletchling in their battles!

I think another thing they need to improve is pacing. Calem/Serena don't actually fight you until after the third gym, teaming up with you twice before then. And even then, you haven't seen the first evolved form of their starter.

I'm just hoping for one rival, with the frequency of Hugh, but with the teambuilding of Barry, sans bird.

15. dirkac

Yeah, Korrina seems to be fairly resilient against Flying Types but shut down by literally any other Weakness Fighting has.
    Which is sad since Viola and Grant actually did a decent Job covering the available Weaknesses of Bug and Rock.

The problem I feel is that it was intentionally made far too easy for the major characters, but its something that really happens in evrry game. I still dread that pair of Ace Trainers before Veilstone, and that Double Team on Route 210 just becausd of the sheer difficulty spike they represent to every other Trainer around them. (Seriously, Fantina, Maylene, Crasher Wake, Cyrus, and twice Barry are all Battled near those four and out of that stretch of the game those four provide the toughest battles).

Yeah, teambuilding really is a problem, which seems to stem mainly from reusing Pikachu/Magneton/Gyarados/Steelix/Gengar for so many different Trainers. It really shouldn't hurt to mix things up with a Galvantula, Lumineon, Lanturn, Probopass, Marowak, Trevenant, or Banette every once in a while, but no

hey at least Movesets will never get as bad as Blue's Fury Attack/Sand-Attack/Stomp/Horn Attack Rhydon right
    or Steven's Special-Attacking Aggron of Doom

I feel Emerald May/Brendan did a pretty great job averting that by giving them Tropius instead, but yeah every other bird felt generic. Crobat is super overused, and Altaria used to feel okay until Serena/Calem used it too and it became more common with normal Trainers.
    Just give them a Skiploom or Mantyke or something for once.

I feel like XY's pacing was just all over the place in general. The masive gap between first and second Gyms was bizarre, and then of course the massive dearth of Trevor, Tierno, Nd Shauna battles. Sure, I get that they were meant to fill in for Serena/Calem during that first part, but why even bother making them seperate characters then if that's all they do to contribute?
    You also never see Shauna's Starter's middle form, Trevor's Floette, or any of the Starting or Middle forms of Shauna, Trevor, and Tierno's Pokémon on Route 19. (Save Trevor's Pichu)

Eh, I feel Barry was paced decently.
    Hugh was okay if he actually battled you in between Floccessy Ranch and friggin Undella Town (ignoring the PWT, and even including that should have had at leadt one more battle).
    The Multi-Battles kinda mitigated it, but they were few and far in between before Undella.

16. Aromatic Mist

Aromatic Mist Sensuble

I'm having nightmares of DP remakes where they give that Raichu its hidden ability.

Huh, forgot about the huge rift in Hugh's battles. But yeah, rival pacing recently has just been bad in general, and when it hasn't (Bianca & Cheren) it tends to be offset by their terrible teams.

Overall, I'm hoping for a rival who:

Doesn't reuse Pokémon, or at least too much.
    Has a good team.
    Is battled frequently, but not to an annoying extent.

I hope we only get one this time, XY mostly suffered from the huge amount of characters. Trevor developed a bit, whilst Shauna and Serena/Calem developed a decent bit. Tierno is umm.... Tf is a Tierno again?

17. dirkac

stop pls

Again, why I think Barry is probably the best example of a Rival we'll get.

I have to say that it's pretty weird that, though Serena/Calem and Shauna were ostensibly the main Rivals, Trevor got more developmemt and backstory than them, while Tierno got literally nothing.

As far as a Rival goes, I'd personally like to have two, each battled about 4-6 before the League, but with one, I think having like 7-9 battles is ideal.
    No Pokénon repetition either, yeah.

18. misunderstoodhero

misunderstoodhero Well-Known Member

I made this prediction for X/Y as France seemed to be a better fit for this archetype of character, yet if the game is set in Hawaii as many are guessing I can still see this working.

This game could introduce our first independent female rival (I.E Your MAIN Rival, regardless of which sex you choose to play as.) She is the daughter of the owner/manager of the Pokemart company within this region and her father sponsors and provides funding for the region’s professor. When the professor gives away the starters her father will blackmail him/her into giving his daughter one. She will demand to take the player’s Pokémon from them, but this is the one line the professor will refuse to allow her to cross. She will then take the Pokémon with the type advantage to the player’s and in frustration challenge the player to a battle hoping to prove hers is better anyway. Having lost, she will complain her Pokémon is useless and demand that her daddy buy her some better ones, to which he of course comply.

Each time she is battled, her party will include new rare Pokémon with perfect IVs; as all her Pokémon are bought from prestigious breeders by her father and she will detest using “Ugly, worthless common Pokémon” but offset this, her battle A.I will be truly awful, with her often and repeatedly using not very effective and completely ineffective moves. In each time she loses she will complain her Pokémon were at fault and make her father buy her new ones, continuing the cycle.

She will of course come to realize eventually that her own attitude towards Pokémon and training them is why she keeps losing and then begin to truly learn how to be a trainer on her own merit. This character development will be shown as the last battle with her before the Pokémon League will have her final party slot filled by the first Pokémon she has caught herself, something fairly common and average looking but with a lot of potential when trained right. This Pokémon will then essentially become her ace in the post-game battles, being the one she uses Mega Evolution with. For what it’s worth, I think Venonat could work in this role, being a shabby looking bug Pokémon which evolves into a prettier looking bug Pokemon, and a majestic Venomoth Mega Evolution with a Bug/Psychic typing is something I can envision.

To reiterate, basically a return to the jerk rivals of Blue and Silver with elements of both (Specifically as a nod to Silver, she doesn’t exactly have her starter Pokémon willingly given to her by the professor) but as a female and with a Spoilt Rotten character theme added.

...And on another note, I've looked over the recent discussion of rivals and I agree. Regardless of whether my prediction is right or completely 100% wrong I just want to see a rival with some character development, who is battled a decent amount and has an interesting/challenging team.

19. dirkac

Jesus that is so similar to the Rival predic I made for XY.
    Basically it's similar to yours, except replace "dad is Pokémart owner" with "rich, affluental members of some form of royalty secretly part of Team Flare" , ending with the last Pokémon on her Team (which up till now has been filled with her Starter and other Gift-like Pokémon like Shuckle, Lucario, Togekiss, etc. she got from her parents or through her affluence) being caught by herself, most likely an Ampharos capable of Mega Evolving to fit in with her rich status.
    And of course they were called Corinne for being the frenchiest sounding name i know

20. LockFelino

LockFelino Sparkling Noodleboi

Reminds me of Verruca Salt from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I like it.

(Bonus points if they get the "ohjousama" laugh)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.