• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LockFelino

Sparkling Noodleboi
This sounds so ****ing awesome. <3

If we're talking about "minority" characters, maybe do a openly gay character or something. But don't know how that would work in a game where love isn't a topic maybe a very feminine boy.

I mean... I've had my suspicions about James since Pokemon Yellow... >3>

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader

If we're talking about "minority" characters, maybe do a openly gay character or something. But don't know how that would work in a game where love isn't a topic maybe a very feminine boy.
The only acknowledgments of romantic love I can think of are the trainer couples. I would like very much if they made some of the trainer couples gay and lesbian and interracial.

Goddess Yami

Happy Go Lucky
I'm really hoping for better characters this time around. I really liked how they fleshed out everyone in the gen 5 games. It would be nice to have a female professor. I would like to see the return of Professor Oak as well. If the region is tropical like then maybe we'll see him in an Hawaiian shirt XD. The picture of the hotel gives off that vibe!

As for the rivals. I'm all for having two rivals. I would like to have one of them to be cocky. He doesn't need to be a jerk like Blue or Silver. I would love the second rival be like Trevor. I really like the idea of a rival trying to complete their Pokedex before you. Sadly XY didn't flesh it out enough. It would be really cool! It would make completing the Pokedex a bit more interesting. They could give the rival a cool team with rare Pokemon. Heck maybe a shiny too!

Palamon

Silence is Purple
I'd like to see another female professor, since Juniper is the only female one so far.

Pretty much this. Been awhile since we've had a female professor.

Sarefan

Hylden General.
Professor Maple should be a good name for a female Professor.

King Shuckle

Don't be daft
I think our professor should be a minority character. It would be cool to see a Hawaiian man in tropical attire be the guy to hand us our Pokemon. :)

Call it a hunch, a horrible horrible hunch. But as it's the 20th anniversary, I can see the man actually being Red 20 years on. With that design.

The uproar would be delicious~

I have an awesome idea for Red's possible inclusion in future games, which I've put up before on another thread:

Surprised at how quiet this thread is...

I'm just going to leave a theory here (the backpacker being the one in XY that gives you the Strange Souvenir):

Been trying to look up everything the backpacker says, but to no avail.

I'm caught on one thing he says though (other than a great facility (I don't think he ever mentions battle, we just assumed) and him being from a region other than Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, or Unova (or Kalos, as it's implied he's visiting).

Our Champion really is something else, I tell you. Ah never mind. You'll find out in due time.

The first part got me thinking, and thinking, and thinking..."our Champion really is something else".
Hate to speculate, but, this was an NPC included by GF that hinted at some unknown region (completely going off from Sun and Moon for a moment here). We know this guy travelled a lot, so at this point I'm just assuming the Strange Souvenir was something he got on his travels - it makes no sense to pick up a souvenir from your home region if you're travelling all the time. It could certainly be to do with Rayquaza. But the region is something else, and so is their Champion. It's only stated that the Strange Souvenir is from far away (Hoenn), not that he is.

So I expect strong. Like a crazy strong Champion from what he says. Who's the strongest trainer in the Pokémon games?

Red.

The timeline is a bit of a mess right now, but we can all agree that X and Y takes place after the events concerning Red in Kanto. A trainer as strong as this one is implied to be surely must have travelled far and wide, and remember, the player character becomes the Champion but cannot stay at the Pokémon League to fulfil duties as one. As in: what if Red is still travelling? He, like us and our player characters, could be the Champion of a region we haven't yet visited, but like us, continued his journey.

What I'm getting at, is that it's the 20th Anniversary this year. They did it in Johto as they thought that was where the journey ended at that point, and so it made sense to end battling the trainer we essentially created. Wouldn't it be great to see an older Red? The last time we saw him was BW2 at the Pokémon Tournament (and remember, he still hasn't aged...or changed clothes; he's clearly constantly travelling).

Also, it must be noted that the male character in the image outside of the hotel ( https://m.imgur.com/account/GamingNews101/images/b7WgBln ) is clearly very inspired by Red.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
That picture actually got me thinking...

What if the main characters this time are just tourists in that region?
Would be a nice change.
This would be a pretty cool change. Maybe the character is actually from Kalos, so in the post-game we can go back.

Orphalesion

While I love Professor Oak returning idea, I'd love it if we got another female Professor. That was a nice change of pace.

Why not combine the two and have Daisy Oak be the new professor? She was still young in Gold/Silver, she could still become a Poke-Professor.
If not her then I'd like to see a female professor who is old/middle aged and/or portly. Why should all female characters be young and attractive?

I'd also like our character (who hopefully will be customizeable, because the male Player Character always looks like a tool) to have a larger family, father, mother, at least one sibling. Or perhaps a single dad? Anything that's a change from the single mom/only child routine.

It might be interesting to have a rival who joins the Evil Organization. He/She could be your friend, but due to some reason gets under bad influence joins the baddies and becomes antagonistic to you. With that they could get some nice drama going on.

King Shuckle

Don't be daft
With the region being tropical and all that, I wonder if Phoebe will be referenced at all in the game. She could have been boring in the region or something and traveled to Hoenn to learn more about Ghost Pokemon. Do we even know much about Phoebe?

Sprinter1988

TBH I've had my suspicions about Burgh and Wallace on this front.

As for "very feminine boy" there are many people out there who got confused about Bugsy's gender.

Also there is a fan theory about Lorelei and Will being the same person cross-dressing.

Grey Wind

I think our professor should be a minority character. It would be cool to see a Hawaiian man in tropical attire be the guy to hand us our Pokemon. :)
And his husband gives you the Pokedex. <3

With the region being tropical and all that, I wonder if Phoebe will be referenced at all in the game. She could have been boring in the region or something and traveled to Hoenn to learn more about Ghost Pokemon. Do we even know much about Phoebe?
I never thought about Phoebe, that's a really good idea actually. I was disappointed by the lack of cameos in XYORAS so I'd love to see a couple of older characters make a small return.

LockFelino

Sparkling Noodleboi

MysticKnives

My take on a rival: (Long Post)

I would like a stoic rival. A rival who is an anti-villain, who appears to be a jerk and appears to do terrible or cruel things to get what he/she wants, but in reality he/she's been trying to stop you from causing the utter obliteration of the world.

I would love a Pokemon game like that. The player starts out doing good, but unknowingly is the reason for catastrophic events happening. The clashes with your rival initially focuses on how his/her "evil acts" seem to be causing the world's spiral into armagheddon, but the more the two of you interact, the closer you get to your revelation. During one of your encounters with your rival (I'm thinking 4-6 battles total from your first meeting to Victory Road), you will can lose to him/her on one or two occasions (if once, you lose the first battle), if twice (you lose first battle and Victory Road battle, which means the rival will have strong and good pokemon with very good AI, and a few levels higher than the player during the encounters I mentioned). The rival's development comes from either wanting you either to die as well as being unable to accept an alternative to the situation to actively seeking out a way to fix this situation without requiring you to die. Which brings up the Elite Four as another source to correct the player's mistakes. However in this, the E4 are antagonists themselves.

By this point (or in Victory Road) your rival has gotten slightly softer (in that they are willing to work with you after your confrontation in Victory Road to convince them of a possible alternative to death), however your rival is still somewhat hesitant to work with you. The two of you clear the remains of Victory Road and like Gen V's BW, there's something in the way of E4 (could be the villain team's evil scheme, who tie into the E4 eventually). After the player, the rival (and possibly the professor who I'd like to be able to battle too), then comes the E4. The rival goes through the E4 first, but loses to the Champion just moment before the player shows up.

The player defeats the Champion, and is able to find an alternative. So then the player, professor, rival, and champion travels to a secluded far off island (gets mentioned earlier in the game) that holds all the answers and the true reason to why the player has been causing all of these horrific events, leading them all to meet a character (or pokemon) that exceeds the power of the champion. If it's a character, they have servants for the other three to fight. If not, then the Pokemon prevents the other three from being able to hurt it and only the player can enter battle against it. After defeating it, somehow the problem is solved, but the game foreshadows a new problem that will arise in two year's time.

I don't think this would be that good, but I'd love another pokemon game where the gym leaders or even the E4 plays a pretty large role in the main story. I'd have your rival, professor, some gym leaders, the evil team, and the E4 (and the character stronger than the champion or Legendary Pokemon on the secluded island) all take part in the plot. This way, the rival would probably play an even larger part in the story by actively going hand in hand opposing you, while cleaning up some of your unintentional messes. Your rival would be a in his/her early twenties. If the rival is a female her name is Bliss. If the rival is a male, his name is Jericho. By the end your rival is a friend of yours, but doesn't associate with you. You'll be able to find him/her on another island at the top of a tower. Rival says stuff about the adventure and all, gives his/her respect to the player, challenges you to one last battle to ensure that you'll be ready to defend the world once again when time arrives. Afterwards, rival disappears leaving a note behind at your house, detailing where he/she headed off to, and wishing you good luck.

YearlyEonPokemon

Sky Trainer
They should allow decisions you make to impact the development of the other characters - For example, by choosing to be bitter on your rival, he could become bitter to you.
This would allow a more personalized rival in my opinion.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I have no idea what the new characters are going to be like and it's hard to really predict, but I think because this is a 20th anniversary game that "ties everything together" we'll see lots of appearances from older characters. Maybe:

-Prof. Oak
-Red
-Blue
-Brock
-Misty
-Giovanni
-Archer
-Arianna
-Lance
-Silver
-Maxie
-Archie
-Steven
-Zinnia
-Cynthia
-N
-Colress
-AZ
-Malva

noakai

I just want a rival who actually feels like a real rival, not "friend who I battle with sometimes." I want one that feels like an actual challenge to me as a trainer, and I don't care if he's a friend, someone I've never met, a gym leader's kid, whatever. Just not any more characters that feel like they're not really any more important to my journey than your average Ace Trainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.