• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master_Tyrell

I think that if they want to make a minority character they should steer away from stereotypes. I really loved how they added those characters to XY. The trans woman (a beauty trainer) who was a Black Belt Trainer before, if you think about it, was very nice. I mean, as a man she wasn't overly feminine but what people might consider a male role model. That waiter that says the manager is handsome, the two guys having dinner on the restaurant, those subtle hints are what I want to see (maybe make it a bit more obvious). Don't go the easy way and have a flamboyant overly feminine guy and make it the gay one, for example, or the manly looking girl being a lesbian.

Anyways, bringing more diversity to NPC or characters with a bigger role is always a nice thing and they've been doing it recently as well.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I think that if they want to make a minority character they should steer away from stereotypes. I really loved how they added those characters to XY. The trans woman (a beauty trainer) who was a Black Belt Trainer before, if you think about it, was very nice. I mean, as a man she wasn't overly feminine but what people might consider a male role model. That waiter that says the manager is handsome, the two guys having dinner on the restaurant, those subtle hints are what I want to see (maybe make it a bit more obvious). Don't go the easy way and have a flamboyant overly feminine guy and make it the gay one, for example, or the manly looking girl being a lesbian.

Anyways, bringing more diversity to NPC or characters with a bigger role is always a nice thing and they've been doing it recently as well.

I don't think so. Anyway, the main characters would obviously be new and I wonder how the evil team leader characters would be like.

Orphalesion

Oh definitely, sterotypes would be awful. But two male professors who just happen to be a married couple would not necessarily make them stereotypes. Like imagine a Birch-like guy married to an Elm-like guy.

On Gym leaders I'd also love a male fairy type leader. Not sure what personality to give him, maybe something based on the Pied Piper?

Last edited:

phanpycross

God-king
I don't think so. Anyway, the main characters would obviously be new and I wonder how the evil team leader characters would be like.

I think you REALLY wanna specify what you meant there.

MysticKnives

I have no idea what the new characters are going to be like and it's hard to really predict, but I think because this is a 20th anniversary game that "ties everything together" we'll see lots of appearances from older characters. Maybe:

-Prof. Oak
-Red
-Blue
-Brock
-Misty
-Giovanni
-Archer
-Arianna
-Lance
-Silver
-Maxie
-Archie
-Steven
-Zinnia
-Cynthia
-N
-Colress
-AZ
-Malva

I think it's possible. I'd love to see Blue, Grandpa Oak, Giovanni, Steven, and N, Iris, and Red the most. I mean, Blue was already mentioned in X/Y, it isn't too farfetch'd to think he might make some form of a physical appearance.

Grey Wind

I have no idea what the new characters are going to be like and it's hard to really predict, but I think because this is a 20th anniversary game that "ties everything together" we'll see lots of appearances from older characters. Maybe:
I don't think Archer or the rest of the Rocket Admins are notable enough to reappear (weren't they only given names/unique designs in HGSS?). Like I said earlier I'd love a bunch of cameos though, and I could definitely see a few on your list making it in (especially Oak). I'd love to see Zinnia, N or Cynthia again too.

YES! :D

But you know, American/Australian moral guardians will never allow it to happen :-/
Yeah, and Japan are fairly conservative in that regard as well IIRC. Oh well. A man can dream.

I agree. I'm really tired of the fandom "jokes" about Wallace, Burgh and the like so if they ever do include an LGBT character I hope they're not a stereotype. Like I said, though, I don't really expect it so I'd be happy with more racial diversity among the NPCs (native Hawaiians are a must if this region is set there).

misunderstoodhero

Because I'm getting vibes for this region being tropical and like a resort, I want to say it'll be based on Spain (Right next to France, could allow for post-game Kalos content which would fit with Zygarde stuff) or maybe Florida, Hawaii or Egypt if not.
I think the player character will likely be visiting the region. I like the idea that their uncle/aunt is the regions professor, who quickly sends them off on their adventure with a Pokedex.

The rival/evil team idea I had is one sort of borrowed from a concept I had for a pokemon game myself.
Firstly, I just want there to be one rival this time. I feel going back to just one rival and focusing on them will allow for a better story and character development.

He can either be the professor's son or simply a local boy who gets a Pokemon from the professor and befriends you quickly. He's friendly, enthusiastic but very naive. A mixture between Silver, Wally and N in terms of personality, which I'll elaborate on later.
I can see these games having split evil teams again, perhaps Team Solar and Team Lunar, who want to bring about perpetual day and night respectively because.... reasons. I don't particularly want this, just I can't imagine anything better myself right now. I want at least one of the team leaders to be female though.

Back to the rival. Being naive, he is quickly convinced to join the region's evil team, thinking that their goals are benevolent, or at least finding a way to interpret them as such. You will often battle him whilst fighting the team. At first he will still be friendly and say things like "We might not always agree, but we're still friends <player>!" and as he raises the ranks, his interactions with you steadily grow less friendly and more hostile. At the mid-way point he says things more like "Look... I know you're not a bad person, <Player>... i know you have good intentions..." until the final battle with him in which he is the right-hand man of the team's leader, and they send him into battle against you before fighting you themselves and he's completely hostile to you now. Maybe after the evil team is stopped he'll come around and apologize to you, maybe not and he'll be another Ghetsis, out there plotting something.

And like Black and White, I'd like to see the team outstrip the pokemon league in terms of plot significance, maybe the final battle against them even being after you've claimed the title of champion.

XY&Z Legend

Just chillin
Since this year's the 20th anniversary, I hope they include all the characters that have appeared, including those missing from Emerald. Though it's going to be hard for the developers to have everyone back for this milestone, perhaps they should show some references with them. As for the rival, we've had so many jerks over the past year (Blue, Silver, Barry, Hugh). Instead, they'll have a more friendly rival who is willing to help out at all costs. Hopefully, we will see a more experienced Champion who has conquered all 6 regions as of Pokemon XY.

Here are the list of characters I would like to see/battle in Sun & Moon:

Red
Blue
Giovanni
Brock
Misty
Prof. Oak
Lance
Clair
Jasmine
Silver
Lyra
Steven
Anabel
Wally
Wallace
Riley
Palmer
Cynthia
Alder
Benga
Caitlin
Iris
N
Diantha

Maybe:
Alain
Tobias
Trip
Paul
Georgia
Stephan

Stygian

Rivals: PLEASE give us another rival like Blue or Silver. Like, I don't even care how many rivals we have. If they continue this "circle of friends" thing they've been doing for the past few gens, I at least want one of them to be an actual, serious, rival.

Professor: I can see us getting a female prof this time around, although I have no preference. I a young, cool person like Sycamore would be nice though.

Would love to have another champion in the same vein as Steven, or Blue.

And I want the gym leaders to have actual relevance to the plot. Iirc the only gym leaders that have story to them in X/Y are Korrina, and Wulfric, (and Viola, I think?).

MysticKnives

Rivals: PLEASE give us another rival like Blue or Silver. Like, I don't even care how many rivals we have. If they continue this "circle of friends" thing they've been doing for the past few gens, I at least want one of them to be an actual, serious, rival.

Professor: I can see us getting a female prof this time around, although I have no preference. I a young, cool person like Sycamore would be nice though.

Would love to have another champion in the same vein as Steven, or Blue.

And I want the gym leaders to have actual relevance to the plot. Iirc the only gym leaders that have story to them in X/Y are Korrina, and Wulfric, (and Viola, I think?).

I'd want a Champion who's arrogant and playful, but still respectful at the same time. As for a rival, I'd love to have a stoic rival. The rival could be an anti-villain, doing cruel things and antagonizing acts for a good cause.

Orphalesion

I'd want a Champion who's arrogant and playful, but still respectful at the same time.

I don't care too much about the Champion's personality, as long as they have a live outside of Pokemon battles I'm happy, like how Diantha was an actress. I really hate the "focused only on battles" and especially the "wandering recluse" stereotypes a lot of the Champions have. Seriously Red in Silver/Gold creeped me out to no end as a kid.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
I don't care too much about the Champion's personality, as long as they have a live outside of Pokemon battles I'm happy, like how Diantha was an actress. I really hate the "focused only on battles" and especially the "wandering recluse" stereotypes a lot of the Champions have. Seriously Red in Silver/Gold creeped me out to no end as a kid.

If it would end up like Diantha, an actress who absolutely had no idea about the Team Flare arc. progression in-game and just satisfied that she got to be a Champion, then no. I expected Generation VI would be more detailed about the Champion, especially after Alder and Iris joke. It has been ages that no Champion like Cynthia is introduced.

MysticKnives

If it would end up like Diantha, an actress who absolutely had no idea about the Team Flare arc. progression in-game and just satisfied that she got to be a Champion, then no. I expected Generation VI would be more detailed about the Champion, especially after Alder and Iris joke. It has been ages that no Champion like Cynthia is introduced.

Well I don't know about Alder, but I don't see what makes Iris a joke of a Champion. I'd rather not another Cynthia (at least as far as personality goes). Cynthia was a great champion, but for me she's a terribly boring character. I did like that she was constantly poking herself in the player's journey throughout her debut games. I agree with Orphalesion in that I would like the Champion (and even E4 and Gym leaders) more involved. That way, they are more than just Bosses to overcome, and are actual characters.

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
I just want the characters such as the Champion and gym leaders to be more involved with the main story of the game.
I liked how a few of them in older games actually helped us, such as Clay being the one to lower the bridge in generation V. That was a nice touch.
But having them do something related to the main story would be really nice. It would make them more like characters than just flat NPC's that do not really do anything.

MasterofArcanine

Pokecollection Maste
You know what would be cool is if they have a system like they had in between Black/White & Black 2/White 2 (where if you "Logged" in Black and White then things in the Black2/White would be a little different and even mention your character)

You could have that again and have NPC's mentioned your player character from X and Y by name and how they saved Kalos. Maybe even battle your Player Character from x and Y with the team you last had in that game. that would be awesome getting a cameo like that from "You" in X and y. Also would love to maybe See Red and Professor Oak back as part of the 20th Anniversary. Maybe all the previous player characters in some way. Other NPCS I would to see are Cynthia, Looker, Zinnia (and her Whismur now a Exploud), AZ (and his floette), among others.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Well I don't know about Alder, but I don't see what makes Iris a joke of a Champion. I'd rather not another Cynthia (at least as far as personality goes). Cynthia was a great champion, but for me she's a terribly boring character. I did like that she was constantly poking herself in the player's journey throughout her debut games. I agree with Orphalesion in that I would like the Champion (and even E4 and Gym leaders) more involved. That way, they are more than just Bosses to overcome, and are actual characters.

What made me dislike Iris heavily is the character development and how it didn't match with the anime. Normally, in-game and anime does not match in some occasions, I understand. However, a little child who wanted to be a Dragon Master, overshadowed by another Champion, Cynthia, made me think the otherwise. Regarding in-game, I found it quite unexpected and half of her Pokémon were non-Dragon, which made me think what was the initial reason to be a Dragon Master, if the plan was to add different types to the roster. Overall, neither in-game assistance and development, nor anime-wise, Iris, in my opinion, is one of the worst Champions in the entire series that we have ever gotten.

Coming back to the original question regarding the character developments. Cynthia, might be boring for some, but was quite in assistance to solve the situations in-game. That is something I'd call as a good personality, as in being a helping hand to the main player to achieve the goals and keeping the interaction with him or her in most of the cases. Such as, giving you the Old Charm to deliver it to her Grandmother or giving you the Togepi egg. Leaving them alone, which Champion have made that much of an appearance in-game is highly questionable. Generation I, Red/Blue were rivals. Generation II, Lance assisted you for Lake of Rage and Team Rocket situation at Mahogany Town. Generation III, excluding OR/AS, Steven made a few appearance in Magma/Aqua situations. Generation IV, the best Champion both in-game personality and battle style. Generation V and VI, both development and characters terribly failed. Alder could have been done better with the plot-line that his Pokémon departed to after-life. But, no. Instead, he has been given an image of a defeated, if not retired, Champion. Not to mention Diantha had statements prioritizing duties of an actress as in refering "Battling in her free times." compared to being the region Champion, but wasn't even aware at all about the Team Flare.

I am in quite agreement with Elite Four and Champion to be more involved. However, if you ask my personal opinion, I would want it to a level that Cynthia introduced and involved herself in Generation IV games. Be it assisting throughout storyline, Pokémon Egg, Distoration World, Team Galactic, Sinjoh ruins and lending a villa in post-game Platinum. For the Eilte Four case, I would have loved to see Malva playing a much better role in Team Flare as character development, for instance.

Last edited:

Orphalesion

Not to mention Diantha had statements prioritizing duties of an actress as in refering "Battling in her free times." compared to being the region Champion, but wasn't even aware at all about the Team Flare.

But personally I'd rather have it that way. I rather have the champion be a real person with a career and private life than some dude/gal who just travels the region and is "pokemon! Pokemon! POKEMON!" all the time.
Diantha's just the champion of the Kalos, she's not a super hero, she didn't sign up to be a vigilante. She's just an actress who happens to be good at pokemon battles. Good for her, I say!

Status
Not open for further replies.