• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumineon457

I think he's going to give the player an Alolan Gen 1 starter, possibly with some type-shifts.

BlitzGirl41

I think he's going to give the player an Alolan Gen 1 starter, possibly with some type-shifts.

There hasn't been any evidence yet that Starters will have Alolan forms, yet. So far most have Mega Evolutions but I think it would be too much to give them both Megas and Alolan forms. Just my opinion, though. But one thing is very possible: He will probably be the one to explain to our character the Alolan form feature.

Julia Artemis

There hasn't been any evidence yet that Starters will have Alolan forms, yet. So far most have Mega Evolutions but I think it would be too much to give them both Megas and Alolan forms. Just my opinion, though. But one thing is very possible: He will probably be the one to explain to our character the Alolan form feature.

That would be really cool! Maybe have a Ground Charmander, a Poison/Fairy Bulbasaur, and a Steel Squirtle. I want this now!

shadowF

sheld999

i knew oak will have a cousin. ( i original predicted that the cousin was gonna be hala but now we got the look alike ) i can see him being at oaks lab and ash will be interested to go to alola

Julia Artemis

So do you guys think Colress will at all be involved in the plot of this game? A lot of people have theories that he might be responsible for the Aether Foundation.

knightwolf09

So do you guys think Colress will at all be involved in the plot of this game? A lot of people have theories that he might be responsible for the Aether Foundation.

Not sure if he's responsible for it Per se since Lusamine is the president. Rather I believe he's associated with them. Possibly gained some interest in the Ultra Beasts. He might also be studying megas and z-move since both bring out the powers of pokemon.

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
Honestly was there a need for Alolan form Samson Oak? I'm pretty sure everyone understood the concept of Alolan forms the moment they hit the internet. Hopefuĺly he at least offers a Dex sidequest/rewards for finding them instead of just giving us walls of useless text.

Thepowaofhax

Honestly was there a need for Alolan form Samson Oak? I'm pretty sure everyone understood the concept of Alolan forms the moment they hit the internet. Hopefuĺly he at least offers a Dex sidequest/rewards for finding them instead of just giving us walls of useless text.
Well, this is a RPG, after all. My guess is he's probably going to offer up some lore regarding Alolan forms and probably a side quest or two.

R_N

I could see bringing him alola pokemon and getting their website spiels about why they developed that way + maybe adding non-alola forms to your pokedex

like "ah yes, alola exeggutor. now check out this foreign exeggutor!"

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member

In-game NPCs exist to explain things to players. They've done this since Red & Green.
You cannot always rely for information online. Also you cannot expect everybody that will play this game is knowledgeable of everything.

R_N

In-game NPCs exist to explain things to players. They've done this since Red & Green.
You cannot always rely for information online. Also you cannot expect everybody that will play this game is knowledgeable of everything.

Also thinking on it, there's professors for like everything even if its just flavor. Everyone understands the concept of evolution but that didn't stop Rowan from specializing in it. Same with Elm & Eggs. & its not like either of them ever really lectured you on the obvious ins & outs of it

also while i'm thinking on it, Juniper should really make a cameo here. Her shtick was origins of pokemon, it'd probably be a little relevant to the ultra beasts especially if they have some sort of connection to the box legends (or any other pokemon).

Julia Artemis

It makes sense to me to have Samson Oak explain the concept of variations since it's a pretty massive change in the games so I think it makes sense explaining it ala Mega Evolutions. Also it will be funny to see his role in the Sun/Moon anime

BlitzGirl41

It makes sense to me to have Samson Oak explain the concept of variations since it's a pretty massive change in the games so I think it makes sense explaining it ala Mega Evolutions. Also it will be funny to see his role in the Sun/Moon anime

Even though I am not a fan of the anime, I could imagine the main characters thinking "Professor! What happened to you?!". Lol.

Julia Artemis

Even though I am not a fan of the anime, I could imagine the main characters thinking "Professor! What happened to you?!". Lol.

Yeah it'll be funny. Also game related still hoping Samson gives us an Alolan Kanto Starter. I know some didn't like the idea but I think it would be cool.

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
I could see bringing him alola pokemon and getting their website spiels about why they developed that way + maybe adding non-alola forms to your pokedex

like "ah yes, alola exeggutor. now check out this foreign exeggutor!"

That would nice. Better yet I think all of this information would have been way more interesting and engaging if Professor Kukui also covered this alongside his specialty in moves. If he introduced the player to Alolan Forms and also provided optional information when talked to about it, I would find that way more informative. And would better showcase how knowledgable Pokemon Professors are supposed to be. Instead of just guiding players through the plot in most cases.
That's pretty much how I found Sycamore in XY. He never really explained Mega Evolution in any more detail than other NPC's did. With exception to telling you they can be found during the evening.

Julia Artemis

That would nice. Better yet I think all of this information would have been way more interesting and engaging if Professor Kukui also covered this alongside his specialty in moves. If he introduced the player to Alolan Forms and also provided optional information when talked to about it, I would find that way more informative. And would better showcase how knowledgable Pokemon Professors are supposed to be. Instead of just guiding players through the plot in most cases.
That's pretty much how I found Sycamore in XY. He never really explained Mega Evolution in any more detail than other NPC's did. With exception to telling you they can be found during the evening.

Right, I guess I see Samson being more like Gerkin in Shalom City.

Orphalesion

^ Pretty much this, plus requiring a player to look up information online or gain it from promotion material is very, very bad game design. Every story or gameplay relevant information should be contained within the game itself, except for very early titles when they didn't have enough room on the cartridge for the whole story and had to put it in the manual. But those times are long gone, that was before our time.

Status
Not open for further replies.