• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlitzGirl41

^ Pretty much this, plus requiring a player to look up information online or gain it from promotion material is very, very bad game design. Every story or gameplay relevant information should be contained within the game itself, except for very early titles when they didn't have enough room on the cartridge for the whole story and had to put it in the manual. But those times are long gone, that was before our time.

Hence why, as a fan of the Halo games since the beginning, the insistence of new management to have tons of very important plot developments and character introductions occur in graphic novels and novels has been infuriating me. I don't like the idea of having to look up extra stuff to understand something in a game, even if it just means going onto a wiki. I don't want to see that happen to Pokemon, or any other big video game franchise. Extra info is great, but let it be optional stuff. (Sorry, getting a bit side-tracked, now!)

I also hope that professors in S/M are way more informative and important to the story compared to past ones.

Relax

I could see bringing him alola pokemon and getting their website spiels about why they developed that way + maybe adding non-alola forms to your pokedex

like "ah yes, alola exeggutor. now check out this foreign exeggutor!"

I think that is the case also, he looks a lot like oak because he is his cousin, so I guess they keep contact with each other. He will probably tell us about alola forms and their ''normal'' forms, so we can understand it better. I really like it tho!

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Haha yeah. My dumb phone autocorrected it to that. Lol

Sure, it was a mistake, but now I want a Shalom City, though an Israel based region does seem unlikely :p

yumenokage

faerie dragon ghost

Lion Demon

Fairy Type Champion
There's a couple of theories floating around that presume that Colress is the leader of the Aether Foundation. That would be a really interesting twist with the team if that turned out to be true. Heck, I'm all for Colress hypothetical return in Sun and Moon regardless if he's associated with the Aether foundation or not.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Well, we have yet another person claiming that they have CoroCoro pics. Buckle up folks, as this is our second claim of the day and we're getting deep into antsy fake leak posting territory. Trust no one!

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
I just hope we don't suffer from the Nueko syndrome, aka Zinnia syndrome in Pokémon, when one character steals the spotlight and bends the plot around herself.

God, our scenario director can screw this hard. Masafumi Nukita, please no more Mary Sue...

Mark my words, in every project he us involved, one character wraps the plot around her.

Last edited:

R_N

I just hope we don't suffer from the Nueko syndrome, aka Zinnia syndrome in Pokémon, when one character steals the spotlight and bends the plot around herself.

God, our scenario director can screw this hard. Masafumi Nukita, please no more Mary Sue...

Mark my words, in every project he us involved, one character wraps the plot around her.

I was fine with Zinnia because her plan totally failed for all her smugness and would have meant the end of hoenn

good thing we had a meteor and a space suit in our backpack!

Akashin

What part of Zinnia was a Mary Sue, though?

And I wouldn't really say that what Zinnia did with the Delta Episode could be considered stealing the spotlight when that spotlight was pretty obviously intended for her to begin with.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
I was fine with Zinnia because her plan totally failed for all her smugness and would have meant the end of hoenn

good thing we had a meteor and a space suit in our backpack!

Only a bigger Gary Stu can outplay a Mary Sue. Let's be honest here, she belittling other characters was annoying as hell, and she walks free for almost destroying the world twice...

Seriously, the guy that created Nueko must have been behind this, Mark my words, in SM we will have a character like that.

What part of Zinnia was a Mary Sue, though?

And I wouldn't really say that what Zinnia did with the Delta Episode could be considered stealing the spotlight when that spotlight was pretty obviously intended for her to begin with.

Also one of the traits of a Sue is being immune to the consequences of its actions, turning all the plot lines about themselves(being behind the primals and stealing the spotlight), extra effort to make her different(kingdom hearts battle theme) and snowflake traits like Aster.

If we get the second coming of Zinnia and Nueko 2.5 blame Masafumi Nukita.

Last edited:

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
Only a bigger Gary Stu can outplay a Mary Sue. Let's be honest here, she belittling other characters was annoying as hell, and she walks free for almost destroying the world twice...

Seriously, the guy that created Nueko must have been behind this, Mark my words, in SM we will have a character like that.

Also one of the traits of a Sue is being immune to the consequences of its actions, turning all the plot lines about themselves(being behind the primals and stealing the spotlight), extra effort to make her different(kingdom hearts battle theme) and snowflake traits like Aster.

But one of the greatest defining traits of a Mary Sue (one of the worst terms in entertainment media) is succeeding at their attempts to save the day. Zinnia did the opposite of that and had to be saved by our character.

Besides that, I feel like you're grasping at the rest of the stuff. She really was only just a weirdo character with a spotlight.

R_N

Getting off with almost destroying the world is one thing but the battle theme's a bit much. Everyone important has their own crazy battle theme

The aster stuff is also stretching. If you want more snowflake traits I'd go with something like her ~special heritage~ and junk. Aster's there as backstory which would be fair game for most of the cast (Archie met Jirachi!); no more special than any of N's nonsense, AZ's floette, etc

There's plenty of stuff to find fault with Zinnia's character (overly rude, allegedly super powerful, secretly behind everything, total-know-it-all who doesnt face consequences, etc) but Aster & the theme are just ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Talking about ORAS reminds me about Looker's kind of abrupt plotline. Washing up with Audinoite in his pocket and no memories, and no way to restore them. I'm guessing this will come up again here since otherwise it'd be completely baffling to have at all, but I hope that it involves Emma. Who I keep completely forgetting about despite being the entire crux of XY's "postgame"
XY_Essentia_2.png

i'm sure there's fun stuff to be had here if they're willing to reuse from scrapped z version bring back Dexio & Sina of all people. Who were also, inexplicably, super heroes. MAYBE THEY CAN ALL BE SUPER HEROES?!

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
Getting off with almost destroying the world is one thing

See, this is another thing: I don't even think Zinnia simply got away with almost destroying the world. It seemed obvious to me that A) people that do bad stuff in the Pokémon world usually don't really ever get in much trouble and B) we may not have been able to do what we did in saving the world without her. Sure, she was wrong in some of the stuff she thought, but she was still a big part in saving the world. I would give her a pass for that.

Akashin

Strictly speaking, the only thing Zinnia's guilty of with regard to the Primals is her douche move of giving Maxie/Archie the knowledge to do what they did. They also escaped punishment, by the by, so she's not unique in that regard.

And how on Earth does the Delta Episode revolving around her make her a Sue? I'd understand if she were a meaningless character who made everything about her (which I'm pretty sure is where the notion of that being a trademark of being a Sue came from), but we're talking about the deuteragonist/antagonist of the Delta Episode here. Of course it's going to revolve around her.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
Mary Sue is a sexist term because it only ever comes up when a powerful female character comes around, even though there have been so very many Gary Stu's in popular media. I just don't see the point in arguing in favor of Zinnia's status as a Mary Sue unless we're willing to call out every other Gary Stu in this franchise.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Mary Sue is a sexist term because it only ever comes up when a powerful female character comes around, even though there have been so very many Gary Stu's in popular media. I just don't see the point in arguing in favor of Zinnia's status as a Mary Sue unless we're willing to call out every other Gary Stu in this franchise.

Mary Sue is a valid criticism trait, if anything Gary Stu is following the Mary Sue because we needed something to mock bade characters that where male.

Bad ideas are bad ideas regardless of the genre. Zinnia is a Mary Sue, if Zinnio existed he would be a Gary Stu with a lot of popular fujoshi r34 of him molesting a KO Brendan and Steven.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
Mary Sue is a valid criticism trait, if anything Gary Stu is following the Mary Sue because we needed something to mock bad characters that were male.

Bad ideas are bad ideas regardless of the genre. Zinnia is a Mary Sue, if Zinnio existed he would be a Gary Stu with a lot of popular fujoshi r34 of him molesting a KO Brendan and Steven.

Missing the point. Zinnio's do exist. They exist aplenty. But no one calls them out.

In all my time on comic book, Pokémon, and movie forums, not one time have I seen a discussion about a male character being a Gary Stu, regardless of the term existing. Every time, including this instance, a female character causes someone an annoyance for being too powerful or getting away with stuff and they start throwing names out.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Missing the point. Zinnio's do exist. They exist aplenty. But no one calls them out.

In all my time on comic book, Pokémon, and movie forums, not one time have I seen a discussion about a male character being a Gary Stu, regardless of the term existing. Every time, including this instance, a female character causes someone an annoyance for being too powerful or getting away with stuff and they start throwing names out.

You don't watch Anime, that's why you don't see the Gary Stu often.

Kirito from SAO if you want to see one, MC and gets powers as the plot demands yet the author masquerades it as informed badass.

Status
Not open for further replies.