• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
Personally I wouldn't want them to use the older characters and have the new protagonist be their son/daughter or something.
I can agree to that. BUT, I think it would be great to have Silver shown in games again- be interesting to see just what trainer he became after the Johto events.
Of course a few champions are bound to make appearances in the new games. Probably Steven, the game and anime have a favouritism for him

.Aerodactyl.

I remember somewhere in the internet that somebody had this idea where your mom, happens to be the champion. That would be a funny surprise after assisting you in your journey and it turns out she's the champion.

This is actually my favorite idea I've heard today!!! I'd really like that, especially if it was combined with the "sibling" rival. It would be great if you and your sibling were loving but still a bit bratty to each other. A little tongue and cheek.

I can agree to that. BUT, I think it would be great to have Silver shown in games again- be interesting to see just what trainer he became after the Johto events.
Of course a few champions are bound to make appearances in the new games. Probably Steven, the game and anime have a favouritism for him

...before the Mega Evolution Acts I'm pretty sure he only appeared in a handful of Advanced episodes (and not stated as being champion either). So I'd hardly say there's a bias - but they did bring out ORAS, which is still selling pretty well, so of course they include him in the anime. As for the games, he appeared in RSE, BW2 (PWT) and ORAS - that's hardly a bias.

I'd like to see Oak return, perhaps even training this region's professor (which for argument's sake I won't try and suggest is Blue/Green, but...).

...before the Mega Evolution Acts I'm pretty sure he only appeared in a handful of Advanced episodes (and not stated as being champion either). So I'd hardly say there's a bias - but they did bring out ORAS, which is still selling pretty well, so of course they include him in the anime. As for the games, he appeared in RSE, BW2 (PWT) and ORAS - that's hardly a bias.

I'd like to see Oak return, perhaps even training this region's professor (which for argument's sake I won't try and suggest is Blue/Green, but...).
Steven did appear in HGSS too, and is the only champion along with Cynthia(now that's a champion who has appeared a lot) that has appeared in completely different regions from their home, disregarding PWT. I do agree however, it's not particularly biased, but with him being so prominent in ORAS I think he could need a break in the next games.

LockFelino

Sparkling Noodleboi
Steven did appear in HGSS too, and is the only champion along with Cynthia(now that's a champion who has appeared a lot) that has appeared in completely different regions from their home, disregarding PWT. I do agree however, it's not particularly biased, but with him being so prominent in ORAS I think he could need a break in the next games.

Yeah, forgot about him appearing in HGSS. Cynthia in my opinion deserves a break, but if we see something like the PWT reintroduced, I'd like to think we could have interactions with such characters away from the competition. Perhaps something like that could be massively bigged up too.

As for what I said about Blue (aka Gary Oak), I completely forgot that he was mentioned in X and Y by an NPC in the Pokémon Centre in Lumiose.

The famous Professor Oak's grandson came here to the Kalos region to study abroad.
He got "bonjour" down just fine, but he still said "Smell ya later!" when he left!

God damn it all, now I want this to happen...

All the quote says is "-snip-"; which idea was it?

LockFelino

Sparkling Noodleboi

LockFelino

Sparkling Noodleboi
Glad you liked it! I really do hope we get Gen I characters that return in the new games.

How great would it be if our Dad was Red and the professor was Blue?

It'd be great if Blue would make passing remarks about him during the adventure. Something like "Y'know... You kids remind me a lot of myself and someone I used to know" when he gives the starters to you and your rival.

Majestic-Flygon

It'd be great if Blue would make passing remarks about him during the adventure. Something like "Y'know... You kids remind me a lot of myself and someone I used to know" when he gives the starters to you and your rival.

This kinda reminds me of when Gary Oak in the Anime retired from being a Pokemon trainer and became a professor like his grandfather Professor Oak. Imagine Blue not taking the role of the Viridian gym leader and became a professor instead. It would be hilarious to have a professor to say "smell you later".

This kinda reminds me of when Gary Oak in the Anime retired from being a Pokemon trainer and became a professor like his grandfather Professor Oak. Imagine Blue not taking the role of the Viridian gym leader and became a professor instead. It would be hilarious to have a professor to say "smell you later".

^^^like I said before, it's mentioned in Kalos that Blue visited to study like his grandfather. Considering that's 10+ years on from the Kanto storyline, it's certainly possible that we could see him as professor, it would be a great way to make things come full circle!

shadowF

I really hope we get a rival like in the generation 1 and 2 games, those were the best rivals and it was fun to battle them and cool to see them develop as characters, with it being the 20th anniversary then there is hope that they will give us the strong blue/silver cool rival to bring in nostalgia back to the players and a throwback as well. I don't want our opposite player to be our rival since I feel those don't have as much personality or character development as a rival where they are your rival and their gender doesn't change regardless if you choose to be a boy or a girl. By the way if this image http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/gaming/Pokemon Sun and Moon copy-xlarge.jpg does indeed show our player character then he looks a lot like red which could give hope that our rival will look a lot like blue as a throwback to the original games.

There is this interesting part of an interview that was conducted on Junichi Masuda while he was promoting pokemon X and Y where he talks about why there are no rivals in pokemon X and Y. The interviewer says "Why no rivals?" and Masuda says "To begin is answer, Masuda said, At Game Freak, I mean, its probably a result of the first two games--Red and Blue, and Gold and Silver--having this kind of strong rival, but at Game Freak we really dont focus a lot on having this aspect of this really strong rival, or this adversary. We dont really use that expression over there. Instead, he said, they focus on, having someone who thinks in a different way as you, perhaps, or is kind of your opposite."

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
I think I'm the only one to think the opposite.

I do like X/Y rivals compared to the previous generations, one-hundred percent. For the first time ever, it felt like you've been accompanied with your friends throughout your journey. It was even better there were more than one antagonists. Honestly, it was great to compare the dexes with Tierno, visiting Parfum Palace together with Shauna, Tierno and his never-ending dance passion, all together meeting at Lumiose, paying a visit to the Haunted House and etecetra. All the rivals we had before ended up losing to us and that's it, no more character development. Needless to say, I liked R/B/Y due to their continuation in G/S/C.

I don't want and don't think we need a douche rival once again. If we are getting one, then I'd like to see how the story involves around them. If won't support us, visit places and make memories with us and just instantly appear for random battles, no thanks.

I think I'm the only one to think the opposite.

I do like X/Y rivals compared to the previous generations, one-hundred percent. For the first time ever, it felt like you've been accompanied with your friends throughout your journey. It was even better there were more than one antagonists. Honestly, it was great to compare the dexes with Tierno, visiting Parfum Palace together with Shauna, Tierno and his never-ending dance passion, all together meeting at Lumiose, paying a visit to the Haunted House and etecetra. All the rivals we had before ended up losing to us and that's it, no more character development. Needless to say, I liked R/B/Y due to their continuation in G/S/C.

I don't want and don't think we need a douche rival once again. If we are getting one, then I'd like to see how the story involves around them. If won't support us, visit places and make memories with us and just instantly appear for random battles, no thanks.
I liked Serena as a rival a lot. She was the only rival I have ever felt somewhat sorry for. You started as competing rivals but you accomplished so much more than her and she really seemed depressed by this by the end of the game. It's refreshing when most other characters endlessly praise you for your capabilities. May/Brendan had something a bit similar going on in ORAS but they got over it and kind of accepted being inferior battlers and decided to do other things. I assume Calem was similar to Serena.
Shauna was a decent character too but I never really took her seriously as a rival.
As for Tierno and Trevor they felt redundant and extremely flat to me, character development is the last thing I would use to describe them. Tierno never talked about anything besides dancing and the same is true for Trevor and filling up the dex. That's all there was to their characters. It's also a shame that there was nothing to the dex competition either. You can literally not catch a single pokémon and he will still say you beat him. For how often they appeared they contributed very little to both the story and world building. I think I would have liked it better if they made Shauna interested in dancing and your dex rival as opposed to Serena/Calem as the battle rival, and then dropped Tierno and Trevor.

I wouldn't mind getting a friendlier rival again(I do hope for a meaner one though), just as long as they actually enhanced the experience in some way. I thought Barry was a great rival after all.

Last edited:

Grey Wind

I really disliked the XY rivals. Serena didn't have much of a personality IMO, and I agree with Endless in saying that Tierno and Trevor were redundant. Neither of their goals went anywhere and their personalities were too peppy and annoying for me. Shauna was the only one I liked, and even then she felt like a watered down Bianca. The "friends travelling the region" thing was... kind of cool, I guess, but it fell flat because none of them had interesting (or even very varied) personalities, and they ended up being kind of irritating by the end of the game.

I hope we go back to two rivals max for Sun and Moon. And like pretty much everyone else I'm hoping for another antagonistic rival.

Class Zero

We have arrived.
Agree that the XY rivals were the worst by far.
- Constantly happy-go-lucky and bright and cheerful just isn't realistic (for immersion) and got very annoying very quick.
- The forced possible romance with Shauna was.. well.. I mean I'm a 19 year old guy so that was a bit like "no please stop I'm gonna get arrested for this"... but yeah that was a relationship I had no desire to happen and cared very little for.
- Dancing fat guy was totally irrelevant, and the nerdy short guy was just as irrelevant.

Honestly, if they kept it to just Serena then that'd have been just as, if not more, enjoyable.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
I liked Serena as a rival a lot. She was the only rival I have ever felt somewhat sorry for. You started as competing rivals but you accomplished so much more than her and she really seemed depressed by this by the end of the game. It's refreshing when most other characters endlessly praise you for your capabilities. May/Brendan had something a bit similar going on in ORAS but they got over it and kind of accepted being inferior battlers and decided to do other things. I assume Calem was similar to Serena.
Shauna was a decent character too but I never really took her seriously as a rival.
As for Tierno and Trevor they felt redundant and extremely flat to me, character development is the last thing I would use to describe them. Tierno never talked about anything besides dancing and the same is true for Trevor and filling up the dex. That's all there was to their characters. It's also a shame that there was nothing to the dex competition either. You can literally not catch a single pokémon and he will still say you beat him. For how often they appeared they contributed very little to both the story and world building. I think I would have liked it better if they made Shauna interested in dancing and your dex rival as opposed to Serena/Calem as the battle rival, and then dropped Tierno and Trevor.

I wouldn't mind getting a friendlier rival again(I do hope for a meaner one though), just as long as they actually enhanced the experience in some way. I thought Barry was a great rival after all.

Actually, thinking once again. I wouldn't call Shauna, Tierno and Trevor rivals. A rival is someone who you would challenge for the same aim. Serena/Calem felt like friendly-rivals, but I always felt their presence to be stronger and achieve Mega-Evolution like us. As protagonists, our goal is to capture the victory in Pokémon League, so I would be lying if they have given the exact definition of rivalry to me. But for once, I quite enjoyed touring Kalos with a pack of friendly-people, having moments with them in each square of the region.

As for Trevor and Tierno; their aim was never to make full presence in-game, but rather a side-role to develop their characters in some way. Of course it would have made more sence if Tierno would make an apperance in OR/AS and perform in Contest Spectacular or Trevor ending up as an assistance to Professor Sycamore, but the game has never provided that much of a variety for characters. Regardless, Trevor appearing in most of the places to seek for different kinds of Pokémon is more than sufficient for me to pursue on his dream.

Shauna was the most friendliest, but at the same time with no specific goal to achieve. She was there with us to make moments in her journey. I liked the fact how she and Clemont/Bonnie were friends and it played an important factor for solving the puzzle-gate in Team Flare HQ.

Out of the most rivals, I think I quite liked Red/Blue for precisely defining the meaning of rivalry; aiming the same goal and giving your best for it. You were almost feeling the urge to beat the game and reach the league before him. The continuation of their story and development was well-made in HG/SS. I believe Silver was a nice addition to the series, visiting both of the regions with us and his affiliation with Giovanni.

If we will be getting rivals, I do hope they are completely different than Brandon/May. I hated them. No development, nothing. Although, I must say Lisia would be someone I'd definitely call a rival. She is friendly, yet challenging. Barry was so-so, never considered him as someone who would give his best to achieve his dreams, though the storyline took a great turn for him after his loss to Jupiter in Lake Acuity. And, yes. In Black/White, Bianca had the father-daughter conflict which was interesting and it was nice to see both her and Cheren pursued their dreams in the sequels.

However, none of the rivals or friends felt like X/Y. Their existence was short, just the monotone one-lined senteces for random battles and everyone departs their ways. I can understand a rival having a challenging-team, being mean or aiming for the Champion title, but we all know the ending. It is defeat and they admit being defeated. I expect more. Much more. In X/Y, Serena/Calem went for Mega Evolution, Shauna mentioned setting for a new journey in different region and etcetera. Even if it is douche like Blue, gave him alternatives.

What I'd like to expect from Sun/Moon is that don't just beef-up the levels and present us for another battle. It would be such a good turn-out, if the character can be available random matches at certain days, be a day-carer or in a different profession, even maybe one of the leaders of a facility-that-we-wouldn't-believe.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I actually liked the XY rivals. My only really complaints are Tierno and Trevor, as they were kinda just "there", but I didn't necessarily hate them.

So, like I said earlier, I really hope we'll get a group of rivals again.

MagicEspeon

P. F. Magician
I'm hoping for another rival like Barry, still friendly and not a total douche but since they we're always one step ahead of you the drive to beat them in battling was real ( At least it was for me ).
I remember being a bit angry every time I saw his name on the certified trainers list when I entered a gym for the first time in Platinum.

As for Trevor and Tierno; their aim was never to make full presence in-game, but rather a side-role to develop their characters in some way. Of course it would have made more sence if Tierno would make an apperance in OR/AS and perform in Contest Spectacular or Trevor ending up as an assistance to Professor Sycamore, but the game has never provided that much of a variety for characters. Regardless, Trevor appearing in most of the places to seek for different kinds of Pokémon is more than sufficient for me to pursue on his dream.

If we will be getting rivals, I do hope they are completely different than Brandon/May. I hated them. No development, nothing. Although, I must say Lisia would be someone I'd definitely call a rival. She is friendly, yet challenging. Barry was so-so, never considered him as someone who would give his best to achieve his dreams, though the storyline took a great turn for him after his loss to Jupiter in Lake Acuity. And, yes. In Black/White, Bianca had the father-daughter conflict which was interesting and it was nice to see both her and Cheren pursued their dreams in the sequels.

Huh, character development is what I felt Tierno and Trevor lacked. Just about all their dialogue was about dancing/catching and without any reflection at that. To me Trevor and Tierno felt like they were on the exact same page at the end of the story as they were at the start.

I find it interesting that you think Brendan/May didn't have any development though. Because they did go from motivated new trainers that eventually figured out they weren't that good at battling and decided to follow their father's footsteps instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.