• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyLogic

Gladion doesn't seem like a person who cares about the well being of his pokemon to me. At least not that much. I think that, because he shares a resemblance with Lillie and Lusamine, people just assumed that he was the same way. You could say that he cares for Type:Null and stole it from the Aether Foundation so that it couldn't get hurt but, if I'm correct, it was never confirmed that Type:Null was created by the Aether Foundation in the first place. I think that he is similar to Silver in that he seeks power. He's with Team Skull, so I don't think he really cares about pokemon that much.Maybe he's on Team Skull because he plans on defeating Guzma and becoming the new Boss to carry out his own plans. And he has Type:Null because trying to defeat Type:Null is like trying to defeat a legendary pokemon (Which the average person can't do).

So, I think it's mostly a power thing, but it's possible that his motives are the exact opposite.

Also (Not trying to be rude), why do people consider him a rival? (If he is a rival. it'd probably be like Wally, because I doubt we battle him early on)
I'm pretty sure that they would've elaborated a little more on it if he was the rival this gen.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Gladion doesn't seem like a person who cares about the well being of his pokemon to me. At least not that much. I think that, because he shares a resemblance with Lillie and Lusamine, people just assumed that he was the same way. You could say that he cares for Type:Null and stole it from the Aether Foundation so that it couldn't get hurt but, if I'm correct, it was never confirmed that Type:Null was created by the Aether Foundation in the first place. I think that he is similar to Silver in that he seeks power. He's with Team Skull, so I don't think he really cares about pokemon that much.Maybe he's on Team Skull because he plans on defeating Guzma and becoming the new Boss to carry out his own plans. And he has Type:Null because trying to defeat Type:Null is like trying to defeat a legendary pokemon (Which the average person can't do).

So, I think it's mostly a power thing, but it's possible that his motives are the exact opposite.

Also (Not trying to be rude), why do people consider him a rival? (If he is a rival. it'd probably be like Wally, because I doubt we battle him early on)
I'm pretty sure that they would've elaborated a little more on it if he was the rival this gen.

He has his own theme and its sounds really similar to some other rival themes. Plus he even has his own official art with silvally now. It just seems like they are playing him up as a pretty big character, definitely more than wally. He won't be a completely traditional rival like getting the other starter right away, but he will essentially be a rival.

Last edited:

TyLogic

He has his own theme and its sounds really similar to some other rival themes. Plus he even has his own official art with silvally now. It just seems like they are playing him up as a pretty big character, definitely more than wally. He won't be a completely traditional rival like getting the other starter right away, but he will essentially be a rival.

I just thought that he was important. He doesn't really seem like a rival. I guess it depends on how early we initially encounter him and how often we will encounter him.

Aetius

Kahuna Olivia has got to be THE (or at least in the top 5) hottest girls of the pokemon series.

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement.
If I were to make a Top 5, it would look like this:

1) Olivia
2) Zinnia
3) Lorelei
4) Elesa
5) Lusamine

Then there would be the cute girls, but now I digress (also because it would be an extremely long, long list). XD

As for other the Kahuna and Trial Captains, how many do you expect will be there in the game?

Happy Hydreigon

Kahuna Mikah
I wholeheartedly agree with this statement.
If I were to make a Top 5, it would look like this:

1) Olivia
2) Zinnia
3) Lorelei
4) Elesa
5) Lusamine

Then there would be the cute girls, but now I digress (also because it would be an extremely long, long list). XD

As for other the Kahuna and Trial Captains, how many do you expect will be there in the game?

I'd think that we'd get 16 of the 7 Crystals from Captains and Kahunas, one from Lillie at the start which has been recently confirmed, and one from Guzma. We already know 7 of the supposed 16 trial captains and kahunas, and since we know there are two other trial captains, we can bump that up to 9, now we have 7 trials left, and I think there will be 4 on Ula Ula Island, since it's considerably larger, and 3 on Poni, my post on page 79 of the island challenge thread has my predictions for the typings

Last edited:

knightwolf09

I'd think that we'd get 16 of the 7 Crystals from Captains and Kahunas, one from Lillie at the start which has been recently confirmed, and one from Guzma. We already know 7 of the supposed 16 trial captains and kahunas, and since we know there are two other trial captains, we can bump that up to 9, now we have 7 trials left, and I think there will be 4 on Ula Ula Island, since it's considerably larger, and 3 on Poni, my post on page 79 of the island challenge thread has my predictions for the typings

Hold up, Lillie gives you a crystal? I haven't heard of that. I'dve thunk that you get your first one from you first trial.

Happy Hydreigon

Kahuna Mikah
Hold up, Lillie gives you a crystal? I haven't heard of that. I'dve thunk that you get your first one from you first trial.

I forgot which website who got to play the first two hours said this, but apparently Lillie gives you a special stone before you get your starter, which is later revealed to be a Z Crystal after you receive the Z Ring

future.newyorker

When was any of this confirmed?

Speaking of Hala and Olivia's Z-Ring's. Does anyone else notice they only wear them in battle?

Last edited:

HydroBR

I'm not sure if this has been pointed out and discussed already, but the description of Lillie on the anime news on Serebii's front page is suspicious.
Lillie - She likes Pokémon, but for some reason cannot touch them
Unless this "cannot" is just a personal thing, like fear or anything, the theory of her being UB-01 gets stronger, and also brings more mystery to the Ultra Beasts nature.

future.newyorker

I'm not sure if this has been pointed out and discussed already, but the description of Lillie on the anime news on Serebii's front page is suspicious.

Unless this "cannot" is just a personal thing, like fear or anything, the theory of her being UB-01 gets stronger, and also brings more mystery to the Ultra Beasts nature.

I think it might be a translation thing.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer

As has been said before, this really shouldn't hold any weight to if she's a UB or not. I think it's just a fear thing.

TyLogic

Doesn't Lillie have an Alolan Vulpix? It's weird if she doesn't touch her own pokemon.

diakyu

His tortured freak of science Pokemon evolves through trust though. He clearly does care about his Pokemon. And I can tell you right now the good people at Team Skull don't know the first thing about science so that does only leave the Aether Foundation when it comes to Type: Null who are stated to have a research department.

How much are the Aether Foundation paying you to say good things about them and drag Team Skull through the mud lol

Last edited:

TyLogic

His tortured freak of science Pokemon evolves through trust though. He clearly does care about his Pokemon. And I can tell you right now the good people at Team Skull don't know the first thing about science so that does only leave the Aether Foundation when it comes to Type: Null who are stated to have a research department.

How much are the Aether Foundation paying you to say good things about them and drag Team Skull through the mud lol

I'm pretty sure that there's a good number of people who don't really care for pokemon that have a pokemon that evolves through friendship. Crobat is the only pokemon that I can think of right now. I'm just saying that it's too early to judge Gladion's character. I mean, we've only seen a few lines of dialog by him. I really think that, if he didn't look like Lillie and Lusamine, people wouldn't assume that he has the same point of view.

And also (While I do believe it's a possibility myself), it was never confirmed that he is related to them, or that any of them are related at all. He could be a completely different person with a completely different outlook on life.

glacialcat

I'm pretty sure that there's a good number of people who don't really care for pokemon that have a pokemon that evolves through friendship. Crobat is the only pokemon that I can think of right now. I'm just saying that it's too early to judge Gladion's character. I mean, we've only seen a few lines of dialog by him. I really think that, if he didn't look like Lillie and Lusamine, people wouldn't assume that he has the same point of view.

And also (While I do believe it's a possibility myself), it was never confirmed that he is related to them, or that any of them are related at all. He could be a completely different person with a completely different outlook on life.

Silver's Crobat is actually a very good example of this though. Not saying it'll 100% be a repeat of Silver's arc, but Silver's Golbat stays a golbat for a very long time... its in its 40s (G/S) or 50s (HG/SS) by the time it evolves. And it only evolves after Silver starts to admit that his training style was wrong, and that he can see why you're stronger than him.

Indigo Plateau battle, still a Golbat:
"…I couldn't win… I gave it everything I had… What you possess, and what I lack… I'm beginning to understand what that dragon master said to me…"

Mt. Moon Battle, still a Golbat:
"…… …… …… …You won, fair and square. I admit it. But this isn't the end. I'm going to be the greatest Pokémon Trainer ever. Because these guys are behind me. …Listen, <player>. One of these days I'm going to prove how good I am by beating you."

His Golbat evolves after the Mt. Moon battle, once he's finally accepted that his Pokemon are his partners.

Of course there are villain trainers with friendship evolutions. But a villain turning good and causing a friendship evolution has already happened.

Last edited:

TyLogic

Silver's Crobat is actually a very good example of this though. Not saying it'll 100% be a repeat of Silver's arc, but Silver's Golbat stays a golbat for a very long time... its in its 40s (G/S) or 50s (HG/SS) by the time it evolves. And it only evolves after Silver starts to admit that his training style was wrong, and that he can see why you're stronger than him.

Indigo Plateau battle, still a Golbat:
"…I couldn't win… I gave it everything I had… What you possess, and what I lack… I'm beginning to understand what that dragon master said to me…"

Mt. Moon Battle, still a Golbat:
"…… …… …… …You won, fair and square. I admit it. But this isn't the end. I'm going to be the greatest Pokémon Trainer ever. Because these guys are behind me. …Listen, <player>. One of these days I'm going to prove how good I am by beating you."

His Golbat evolves after the Mt. Moon battle, once he's finally accepted that his Pokemon are his partners.

Of course there are villain trainers with friendship evolutions. But a villain turning good and causing a friendship evolution has already happened.

Yes, I was thinking about Silver...

Well, they did say trust and not friendship. Maybe the trust that Type:Null has in Gladion is that he trust that Gladion can get it stronger so that it can stop that threat. By that logic, Type:Null is actually using Gladion. That would be a plot twist I can enjoy.

diakyu

I really think that, if he didn't look like Lillie and Lusamine, people wouldn't assume that he has the same point of view.
Well fact of the matter is he does look like them, so there's no point in not mentioning it when talking about his place in the story. We have three characters who all look like they could be related. One is with the Aether Foundation, the other is with Team Skull, and the other I assume is going to be neutral. Each of them share design elements with the Ultra Beasts. Type: Null is very likely not to be the creation of Team Skull so we can make the safe assumption it comes from the Aether Foundation which explains how Gladion got it if he has ties to Lusamine. Also the website says it trust the trainer in a general sense, not that it trusts them to get it stronger. This is one of the oldest cliches in the book, kid helps free freak of science who was experimented on and over time it comes to learn that not all humans are bad starting with the person who freed them. Gladion is an enforcer of Team Skull, he associates with them but likely doesn't take orders. Teaming up with Team Skull allows him to oppose the Aether Foundation with a team by his side. It just all fits.

TyLogic

Well fact of the matter is he does look like them, so there's no point in not mentioning it when talking about his place in the story. We have three characters who all look like they could be related. One is with the Aether Foundation, the other is with Team Skull, and the other I assume is going to be neutral. Each of them share design elements with the Ultra Beasts. Type: Null is very likely not to be the creation of Team Skull so we can make the safe assumption it comes from the Aether Foundation which explains how Gladion got it if he has ties to Lusamine. Also the website says it trust the trainer in a general sense, not that it trusts them to get it stronger. This is one of the oldest cliches in the book, kid helps free freak of science who was experimented on and over time it comes to learn that not all humans are bad starting with the person who freed them. Gladion is an enforcer of Team Skull, he associates with them but likely doesn't take orders. Teaming up with Team Skull allows him to oppose the Aether Foundation with a team by his side. It just all fits.

If you're trying to imply that UB-02 Absorption resembles Gladion, then you're grasping at straws. I think that, when it comes to Gladion and the Ultra Beast, people are just trying to find more "proof" that Gladion is related to Lillie and Lusamine. And it's precisely because the "experiment" concept is so cliché that I doubt that GF will do it. When it comes to pre-release information, GF has been known to be ambiguous.

I understand that it's all just speculation, however, this "speculation" is way too deep. It's almost as if the people speculating this have thought out Gladion's entire role and background in the story. It's because that this "speculation" is so deep, that I think that the majority of it (possibly all of it) is wrong.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I understand that it's all just speculation, however, this "speculation" is way too deep. It's almost as if the people speculating this have thought out Gladion's entire role and background in the story. It's because that this "speculation" is so deep, that I think that the majority of it (possibly all of it) is wrong.
How is the Gladion speculation "too deep"? It's as simple as "Gladion part of Aether, sees truth, leaves Aether."

Status
Not open for further replies.