• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Huh, character development is what I felt Tierno and Trevor lacked. Just about all their dialogue was about dancing/catching and without any reflection at that. To me Trevor and Tierno felt like they were on the exact same page at the end of the story as they were at the start.

I find it interesting that you think Brendan/May didn't have any development though. Because they did go from motivated new trainers that eventually figured out they weren't that good at battling and decided to follow their father's footsteps instead.

We can't expect Tierno and Trevor to be Serena/Calem or other main antagonists. Every other game had focused on one, while X/Y provided 4. It is pretty much sufficient for me as long as they made enough appearance and set their own goals. The games did not provide structure for them to develop further, as in the lack of Pokémon Contest Spectacular of Showcases for Tierno for example.

Brendan and May were there to follow their father's footsteps from the beginning. Professor Brich is known to be studying Pokémon on field and gave one to his children to research as many Pokémon as for him during their journey. The title "Trainer" is lacked for them. They didn't challange Gym leaders as far as I know, until confessing why they are no longer interested in battling. Interestingly enough, they had Mega Evolutions at the end of the game, unless they played Sycamore 2.0 there in terms of research like in anime. Can't say the same for Wally, however. In OR/AS, only rival, except Lisia and Contest Spectacular, was him. It was good to witness the little, sick, kid to catch his own Pokémon, develop the bond with it, travel and even made his appearance in BuzzNav while sweeping Gyms, post-game adventure and so on.

Creyk

I think it would be nice if we had twins and double battles for a gym fight like back in hoenn that one pair of twins

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
I think it would be nice if we had twins and double battles for a gym fight like back in hoenn that one pair of twins

I agree. Tate and Liza definitely stand out for being a doubles gym leader. I would love a rotation, triple, inverted, and sky gym at some point just to mix things up.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Maybe not sky battles. Those are restrict challengers and I don't think Game Freak would do that since they are making games easier.

Then why do you think they introduced that new battle mechanic if they'll just scrap it?

Edit: Misread it. :p

Grey Wind

Then why do you think they introduced that new battle mechanic if they'll just scrap it?

He's not saying they'll scrap it, he's saying they won't use it for a gym leader. Which I kind of agree with.

It'd be cool if there was somewhere you could battle a bunch of sky trainers though. Maybe have them rotate every day or something.

He's not saying they'll scrap it, he's saying they won't use it for a gym leader. Which I kind of agree with.

It'd be cool if there was somewhere you could battle a bunch of sky trainers though. Maybe have them rotate every day or something.

What about having it in a Battle Frontier sense, where they specialize in different battle formats? Single battle, double battle, triple battle, rotation battle, inverse battle and sky battle?

Last edited:
I wouldn't like a Sky Battle as a gym battle, seems a bit ridiculous that you wouldn't be able to progress without an eligible pokémon. This one would also have been trained to battle, unlike say HM slaves.
I would be all for a Flying type gym leader that you could challenge to a Sky Battle in the post-game though, even if I'm not a huge fan of the Sky Battle concept.

Aside from Double Battles(and even then we haven't seen "Emerald style" Double Battles for a while) most alternative battle modes haven't exactly gotten more prominent, Rotation/Triple Battle was restricted to the Restaurants and Maison in XY after all.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member

My bad. Misread it.

Yeah, I think special battle types should be left outside of Gym and Elite Four battles.
I do like hydro's idea of having a strong boss/leader-type trainer that specialize in these.

Grey Wind

What about having it in a Battle Frontier sense, where they specialize in different battle formats? Single battle, double battle, triple battle, rotation battle, inverse battle and sky battle?

Eh... I've never really been a fan of the battle facilities. I'd prefer it somewhere I could bring an in game team and gain experience.

Class Zero

We have arrived.
Eh... I've never really been a fan of the battle facilities. I'd prefer it somewhere I could bring an in game team and gain experience.

Maybe an unofficial gym, like the Fighting Dojo, where the trainers only partake in Sky Battles?
Resets every day kinda deal, too.

Battle Chateau type of place, with different areas for different types of battles, then?

I don't mind where it is. This would sound like quite the challenge as a battle facility.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I actually liked the XY rivals. My only really complaints are Tierno and Trevor, as they were kinda just "there", but I didn't necessarily hate them.

I dislike friendly rivals in general, which is why I didn't like X&Y's rivals. I want a jerkish rival in Sun and Moon, someone who acts like Blue or Silver hee hee. And I think one rival would be enough. ^^

.Aerodactyl.

I dislike friendly rivals in general, which is why I didn't like X&Y's rivals. I want a jerkish rival in Sun and Moon, someone who acts like Blue or Silver hee hee. And I think one rival would be enough. ^^

I want a rival that is as jerky as Blue, but the whole town loves as a mini celebrity. They are so loved that they get BOTH starters that you didn't pick, the peofessor likes them more than you and as you travel the region, every time you save the day and beat team whatever, your rival swoops in the last minute, takes the credit and gets interviews, fans, etc. (It would help explain why no one recognizes you as a world saviour in each town). Privately, they are swarmy and jerky to you, but in public they ooze charm while you are forgotten. Then, before the elite four, when you best them in the final rival battle it would jsur feel SO satisfying uncovering their lies XD. And, of course, we have to be able to name them buttface!

At the very least, please give me a challenging rival with good, high level Pokémon and more than 3 please.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I like more friendly rivals like the ones in XY. Or I would to see the main character and two rivals who all chooses a starter pokemon like BW.

FallBird

Just had a thought - while it's probable that Looker's story will be continued (given that he's been present for three generations in a row now), has anyone connected the fact that he washed up out of the ocean in ORAS to the new region? I know it's a popular rumor that it's going to be based on Hawaii, and if that's true, that seems to tie in with Looker's appearance in ORAS (oceans - maybe new region is near Hoenn? Hoenn's also tropical). So if any of that is correct... and it's all completely hypothetical... that would mean that Sun and Moon will take place before the events of ORAS. Am I stretching too hard here?

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Just had a thought - while it's probable that Looker's story will be continued (given that he's been present for three generations in a row now), has anyone connected the fact that he washed up out of the ocean in ORAS to the new region? I know it's a popular rumor that it's going to be based on Hawaii, and if that's true, that seems to tie in with Looker's appearance in ORAS (oceans - maybe new region is near Hoenn? Hoenn's also tropical). So if any of that is correct... and it's all completely hypothetical... that would mean that Sun and Moon will take place before the events of ORAS. Am I stretching too hard here?

I don't think they will primarily use Looker's subplot just to establish SM's place in the timeline.

If anything, it think it's more safe to assume that SM happens at the same time with XY or after XY.
If they put Looker in the game, they can just have him tell the story about his amnesia.

RSE/ORAS happens at the same time as RBY/FRLG, so I don't know if they will go back further into the past.

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
I was thinking about past games, and it seems that the player is periodically encountered by the Champion throughout the main story.
In addition to the Champion, this generation I'd like to see the box Legendary Pokémon encounter the protagonist as well.
I imagine that some people are thinking of the player figure looking up at a floating Rayquaza on Route ### and thinking either "That'd be awesome!" or "Whut? (.—.) "
I think it would be a nice change for the box Legendary to resemble Greek gods in the way that the Legendary deities can change their God-form to a humanoid form and interact with people.
The Legendary form is what appears in the distance, far enough to keep the main character from seeing any resemblance of the Pokémon form and the human form. The evil team has been trying to track down the Legendary, but the human form keeps its Pokémon form elusive. The evil team uses their tech to find the Legendary but are confounded by detecting "false positives" whenever the human form is around.
Only when the evil team figures it out and captures the human form does the Legendary reveal itself to the player.

This is much like the human that Latias disguised herself as in one of the anime movies.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
If we are to get another "rude" main rival, I hope that they are less of an outright jerk and more of just slightly arrogant and jealous, acting nice at times but putting in a kinda ride comment every so often. Ex. During the catching tutorial, they say something like "Do you know how to catch Pokemon? Oh, of course you don't, you're still just a newbie trainer," or something like that. Also, them being actually tough would be nice. Edit: And, of course, being able to name them.

Aside from that, I'm still hoping for at least two more rivals, one that's a sibling and another that's a surfer like guy (as I mentioned before). These two would be more friendly and probably easier as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.