• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FallBird

I was thinking about past games, and it seems that the player is periodically encountered by the Champion throughout the main story.
In addition to the Champion, this generation I'd like to see the box Legendary Pokémon encounter the protagonist as well.
I imagine that some people are thinking of the player figure looking up at a floating Rayquaza on Route ### and thinking either "That'd be awesome!" or "Whut? (.—.) "
I think it would be a nice change for the box Legendary to resemble Greek gods in the way that the Legendary deities can change their God-form to a humanoid form and interact with people.
The Legendary form is what appears in the distance, far enough to keep the main character from seeing any resemblance of the Pokémon form and the human form. The evil team has been trying to track down the Legendary, but the human form keeps its Pokémon form elusive. The evil team uses their tech to find the Legendary but are confounded by detecting "false positives" whenever the human form is around.
Only when the evil team figures it out and captures the human form does the Legendary reveal itself to the player.

This is much like the human that Latias disguised herself as in one of the anime movies.

This!!!!!! Or even if it doesn't have an accessible "human-like" form, just being able to disguise itself like Latias does would be an awesome plot device. We know that Zoroark can mimick people, like the backpacker - so why not give a legendary a similar ability? That would be the best!

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
If we are to get another "rude" main rival, I hope that they are less of an outright jerk and more of just slightly arrogant and jealous, acting nice at times but putting in a kinda ride comment every so often. Ex. During the catching tutorial, they say something like "Do you know how to catch Pokemon? Oh, of course you don't, you're still just a newbie trainer," or something like that. Also, them being actually tough would be nice. Edit: And, of course, being able to name them.

So someone who is just condescending? I wouldn't mind that I guess. I just think some kind of tension between the rival and our character would be cool to see again. :3

Creyk

Speaking of rivals, I think it would be nice if girl players could get a girl rival as well. AFAIK that never happened before.

Speaking of rivals, I think it would be nice if girl players could get a girl rival as well. AFAIK that never happened before.

I was thinking about that the other day, I've always found it strange that the specially designed rivals (as in, those not sharing designs to playable characters) are male.

As for Looker, I've always been interested in his story. I think ORAS gave us a massive hint as to what may have happened. He fell off a boat, we know, and the only ferries running, other than those native to Hoenn, would be the SS Anne, a ship which travels the world. It should also be noted that there is someone in the Gen I games who says "Ssh! I'm a Global Police agent! I'm on the trail of Team Rocket!". Though we aren't sure exactly how ORAS figures in relation RSE in the timeline, considering they take place in different timelines, it's unknown as to whether ORAS is simultaneous with the events of Kanto as RSE was. However, if that's the case, it would make sense for Looker to be this agent, who then went overboard, losing his memory, ID, and possibly even Pokémon before washing up on the Battle Resort.

Considering that Looker, from this stage, finds himself in XY without Croagunk, who it's implied has died, and having not been found with a Croagunk in ORAS, we could assume that Looker received and lost his Croagunk sometime between the two games. Now, don't say "Rocket confirmed". BUT. Sun and Moon are both spatial entities, having a link with Rockets of course, from this. Team Rocket is also known to be very violent and merciless, despite their idiocy - they kill Cubone's mother, for example. Is it so Farfetch'd to say that Looker made his way back to the International Police, continued to follow his Rocket case (note that he is on a ship which is initially leaving Kanto) after being told by the organisation what his last mission was before the accident, met Croagunk, went back to Sinnoh to investigate Galatic after Rocket went off the radar, then went to Unova to seemingly help with Plasma (and, perhaps, even question that former Rocket grunt?) before he continued the Rocket case before XY, where his Croagunk was killed?

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.

I've said it before, but I'd really like it if we had another Rival like Serena (as in, has the knowledge and skill to make it far), which would provide a decent girl Rival, but was condescending on her stuff too.
Serena was kinda superior at times, but having someone who's that but on a much higher scale would cover both the girl and jerk rival base without making them actively antagonistic.

And of course your friendly whatever Rival would be nice too but that's just me.

As far as villainous teams go, I have no idea, really.
It'd be nice to see Team Galactic as a tie-in to possible Gen IV Remakes, but that's getting totally ahead of myself.

Cellfaction

This is what I would like to see:

This, we have a couple of professors, the husband is an expert on researching at the lab, but his wife is like Prof. Birch, she likes to explore at different places to study Pokémon, but at the same time she's studying, she's training her Pokémon because she already knew his son/daughter was heading on an adventure and as she already collected the 8 badges, is expecting her child to be at the Pokémon League, so we have a professor who is also the champion and you will be facing it trough all the game.

Friendly Rival: He's the professors kid, since both were friends from long time ago, both compete to be the Pokémon Champion, but he seems to treat pokemon with love and care, learns from every defeat and wants to beat you fair and square.

Annoying Rival: He is the last one to arrive at the lab, just at the moment you left the lab, he gets the remaining starter and packs on his own adventure, it's common to see him mad, he always laughs and criticizes every trainer he face, because he thinks all trainers are weak, if he loses a battle, will whine and tell you that you are a cheater, that you don't fight fair and square, and if he wins, he will insult and laugh at you.

Also the father of the main character is a man who isn't always at home, but the reason is that he is an Elite 4 member.

Last edited:

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
This is what I would like to see:

This, we have a couple of professors, the husband is an expert on researching at the lab, but his wife is like Prof. Birch, she likes to explore at different places to study Pokémon, but at the same time she's studying, she's training her Pokémon because she already knew his son/daughter was heading on an adventure and as she already collected the 8 badges, is expecting her child to be at the Pokémon League, so we have a professor who is also the champion and you will be facing it trough all the game.

Friendly Rival: He's the professors kid, since both were friends from long time ago, both compete to be the Pokémon Champion, but he seems to treat pokemon with love and care, learns from every defeat and wants to beat you fair and square.

Annoying Rival: He is the last one to arrive at the lab, just at the moment you left the lab, he gets the remaining starter and packs on his own adventure, it's common to see him mad, he always laughs and criticizes every trainer he face, because he thinks all trainers are weak, if he loses a battle, will whine and tell you that you are a cheater, that you don't fight fair and square, and if he wins, he will insult and laugh at you.

Also the father of the main character is a man who isn't always at home, but the reason is that he is an Elite 4 member.

Just have the father in the games and thatll be an awesome switch up! I like the E4 part too, and it'd be cool if for every game, your dad had different pokemon at the end. No two games would have your dad having the same pokemon. Random idea I thought of that could be cool and keep everyone on their feet.

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
I want a vegan Rival who still wears leather clothing and battles with Pokémon
Or a rival who fights the Pokemon Centers of the game and blames them for "flawed" healing techniques and states that using Pokémon centers make Pokémon faint in the first place (á la Anti-Vaxxer's).

shadowF

if Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon are indeed the new gold/silver type and we are able to go back to the Kalos region postgame then where do you think all the characters in Pokemon X and Y are up to? or what would you like them to be up to? like Serena/Calem, Shauna, Trevor, Tierno, Professor Sycamore and etc?

I was thinking about that the other day, I've always found it strange that the specially designed rivals (as in, those not sharing designs to playable characters) are male.

As for Looker, I've always been interested in his story. I think ORAS gave us a massive hint as to what may have happened. He fell off a boat, we know, and the only ferries running, other than those native to Hoenn, would be the SS Anne, a ship which travels the world. It should also be noted that there is someone in the Gen I games who says "Ssh! I'm a Global Police agent! I'm on the trail of Team Rocket!". Though we aren't sure exactly how ORAS figures in relation RSE in the timeline, considering they take place in different timelines, it's unknown as to whether ORAS is simultaneous with the events of Kanto as RSE was. However, if that's the case, it would make sense for Looker to be this agent, who then went overboard, losing his memory, ID, and possibly even Pokémon before washing up on the Battle Resort.

Considering that Looker, from this stage, finds himself in XY without Croagunk, who it's implied has died, and having not been found with a Croagunk in ORAS, we could assume that Looker received and lost his Croagunk sometime between the two games. Now, don't say "Rocket confirmed". BUT. Sun and Moon are both spatial entities, having a link with Rockets of course, from this. Team Rocket is also known to be very violent and merciless, despite their idiocy - they kill Cubone's mother, for example. Is it so Farfetch'd to say that Looker made his way back to the International Police, continued to follow his Rocket case (note that he is on a ship which is initially leaving Kanto) after being told by the organisation what his last mission was before the accident, met Croagunk, went back to Sinnoh to investigate Galatic after Rocket went off the radar, then went to Unova to seemingly help with Plasma (and, perhaps, even question that former Rocket grunt?) before he continued the Rocket case before XY, where his Croagunk was killed?

Whilst Rocket is appropriate because of the anniversary, I'd personally prefer it if they kept them retired. They've been present as antagonists in Gens I-IV.

But it is worth noting that Giovanni uses Ground-Type Pokemon, which are associated with the Earth.

Imo, a follow up on what happened to Cyrus would be cool, and Team Galactic fit the naming scheme too. The possibility of DPPt remakes also make a compelling case, but even then Team Galactic has nowhere near the popularity of TR.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I just thought of something. We pretty much all know about the resort like place in the teaser trailer, but what if it's not a resort? In fact, what if it's your house (or mansion, really)?

It'd be cool if in these games it turns out you're family's rich. When you tell your parents that you've become a trainer, maybe your mom would approve but father not, and would be a reoccurring theme with your dad complaining about you choosing to become a "ruffian" trainer and trying to convince to give it up numerous times. Eventually, he just accepts it and maybe even becomes a trainer himself (but stinks at it).

Only problem with this is that in the "resort" image it shows some luggage near the girl, which might suggest that it is a resort. Still, would be cool if it was your home.

I just thought of something. We pretty much all know about the resort like place in the teaser trailer, but what if it's not a resort? In fact, what if it's your house (or mansion, really)?

It'd be cool if in these games it turns out you're family's rich. When you tell your parents that you've become a trainer, maybe your mom would approve but father not, and would be a reoccurring theme with your dad complaining about you choosing to become a "ruffian" trainer and trying to convince to give it up numerous times. Eventually, he just accepts it and maybe even becomes a trainer himself (but stinks at it).

Only problem with this is that in the "resort" image it shows some luggage near the girl, which might suggest that it is a resort. Still, would be cool if it was your home.

[insert Pokéfied plot of The Grand Budapest Hotel here]

ECM

One idea that I think could be very interesting is instead of having a rival that picks a different starter, have 3 different rivals that each have one of the starters, and depending on which Pokémon you chose as a starter, then the rival with the Pokémon with the type advantage would become your main rival, the one with the disadvantage will become a secondary rival, and the other can maybe become the gym guide or some other sort of friendly character.

giu

I want a rival that is as jerky as Blue, but the whole town loves as a mini celebrity. They are so loved that they get BOTH starters that you didn't pick, the peofessor likes them more than you and as you travel the region, every time you save the day and beat team whatever, your rival swoops in the last minute, takes the credit and gets interviews, fans, etc. (It would help explain why no one recognizes you as a world saviour in each town). Privately, they are swarmy and jerky to you, but in public they ooze charm while you are forgotten. Then, before the elite four, when you best them in the final rival battle it would jsur feel SO satisfying uncovering their lies XD. And, of course, we have to be able to name them buttface!

At the very least, please give me a challenging rival with good, high level Pokémon and more than 3 please.

loved the idea. Would be epic a rival with that storyline. When read I imagined a mean, fake and snut girl. And the professor liking more your rival is a new and interesting take.

I really think the location is a resort because of the baggage,
But would be awesome starting in a super fancy mansion with three floors, you have a maid and a gardener, eventually you can battle them and she heals your pokemon like the mother of the others games. Your parents own a important company like Devon that's important to the plot. The villains want to steal any new device developed by our family firm, or you and your family become the target and that's justify why you need to save the world. The end.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
I had wanted the player to live in a larger house (or even just hotel room renting), so if the mansion is ours, that'd be interesting, though it seems unlikely.

As far as Rivals go, though, I suppose I may as well go in depth a bit more on what I want to see.
I'd like the opposite Gender not chosen to be the kid of both the Prof and either a GL or E4 member. Basically they have high expectations on them. You'd meet them when picking your Starter for the first time. Since they believe they're basically the hero of the story, they intentionally pick the Starter weak to yours, setting you up as their Rival (when really its the other way around). They generally can't take losing well, and though they initially start out friendly, if condescending, as the game progresses they get more and more insecure and envious of your success, as they too aspired to become a Champion.
Rival #2 would be a girl, and probably the main Rival. Being your childhood friend since forever, and since you got to pick a Starter, your parent got the Prof to give her one too, ending up with the Pokémon strong against yours. Setting out with no real goal, and initially not really caring much at all for Pokémon, she just apathetically does whatever there is to be done to see what she actually wants to do. She basically starts out totally uninterested, but as the plot goes on and she actually turns out to be pretty decent in battling (which requires translating the actual battles to be difficult, GF!), basically transfers to the main Rival position.

:U

LockFelino

Sparkling Noodleboi
Having the main rival be able to access "Mega Evolution/Synergy Thing/Re;Burst" or whatever at the same time as you and uses it alongside you in the "final boss" battle would be cool. Especially if they fill the "I hate you but I like you" sort of role that Silver had later on in SG/HGSS. It'd be a good way to end off their character arc, reaching the maximum potential with not only their starter, but you.

I want a tsundere is what I'm saying.

I'm hoping that the Champion, E4s, your Rival, and other unique trainers use the Ash-Greninja method so their mains seem unique and all, but then lesser, but still strong trainers use Mega Evolution.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
I'm hoping that the Champion, E4s, your Rival, and other unique trainers use the Ash-Greninja method so their mains seem unique and all, but then lesser, but still strong trainers use Mega Evolution.

Oh God please no.

Ash-Greninja is one of those things I want to reamin firmly Animé-only. It's like that one bad Pokémon ReBurst Manga. Pokémon-Human fusions and soul links in general are just territories I never want to cross again.

About Megas, though, I'd like it if for the final battle against your Rival they have a Mega, followed by the E4 and Champion having a Mega. Gym Leaders aren't as necessary because then you get stuff like "Roark's Rampardos is reacting to the Rampardosite!" for the first Gym, or have it be inconsistent which GL does and doesn't get a Mega.

Oh God please no.

Ash-Greninja is one of those things I want to reamin firmly Animé-only. It's like that one bad Pokémon ReBurst Manga. Pokémon-Human fusions and soul links in general are just territories I never want to cross again.

About Megas, though, I'd like it if for the final battle against your Rival they have a Mega, followed by the E4 and Champion having a Mega. Gym Leaders aren't as necessary because then you get stuff like "Roark's Rampardos is reacting to the Rampardosite!" for the first Gym, or have it be inconsistent which GL does and doesn't get a Mega.

I doubt the anime would make a random mechanic out of nowhere.

Or they could just give the Gym Leaders Megas in rematches? Even if some of them have it in their first battle, it's still not 'inconsistent', it can be justified by those being weaker gym leaders without keystones or just holding back like Archie/Maxie because it isn't necessary.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
I doubt the anime would make a random mechanic out of nowhere.

Or they could just give the Gym Leaders Megas in rematches? Even if some of them have it in their first battle, it's still not 'inconsistent', it can be justified by those being weaker gym leaders without keystones or just holding back like Archie/Maxie because it isn't necessary.

Humans turning into Pokémon. Mega Evolution without need for Mega or Keystone. The inconsistent and entire reworking on some parts of the Type Chart. thunder armor
Its done plenty improv.

Oh for Rematches I'm fine. It was nainly just first Matches. I could see the last two Gums having Megas, but I'd still be iffy because it just feels tacked on as a way to make the last two special, even if prior Leaders were established with Mega Evolution and were holding back (like they likely were. Its canon Gym Leaders have multiple copies of the same Pokémon at different Levels).

Status
Not open for further replies.