• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I would like to point out two things:

1) The one character is probably not the main character's cousin. It's probably a reference to the Hawaiian cultural trait of calling friends "cousins."

2) That one character shown is probably not the rival, as he used the Grass-Type starter to battle the players Fire-Type. He is likely a secondary rival, similar to Dawn/Lucas, Bianca, and Shawna.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I'm guessing the guy who called us cousin is the main professor, as he seems to be the intro guy for the game and dresses like the other profs. The other guy may be the assistant.

Also, the possible rival in the trailer is most likely not the main rival, as he has the starter weak to us.

DotKU

Champion
So it does seem like simplicity is the theme, tho its funny cuz the legendaries don't exactly fit "simple" designs imo. But yeah I do not think the guy we see battling us is the main rival, more like a Bianca or Dawn

I'm guessing the guy who called us cousin is the main professor, as he seems to be the intro guy for the game and dresses like the other profs. The other guy may be the assistant.
Yeah, I'm torn on this now too.

Hala is the one tossing the starter Poké Balls and asking us which one we want...but Kukui's the one wearing a labcoat, and he seems to be the one doing the "Welcome to the world of Pokémon!" intro based on the Japanese trailer (it shows Kukui waving, and then the skin tone selection), which has always been reserved for a Professor.

Not gonna lie, definitely digging the idea of a fit, shirtless Prof. :cool:

mewmew202

I'm so glad it would appear they decided to keep trainer customization, at least to a small degree. I was so upset they made it sound like a one-gen deal.

Bit odd that we're on our third set of games with the same type of art style, but I suppose its going to take some time for a new handheld to be developed from here, I suppose we did have a similar pattern with the DS. (D/P/Pt, HG/SS, B/W B2/W2)

If we could finally remove the hat that would be amazing, but I suppose its a staple for the Pokemon protagonist.

Bit odd that we're on our third set of games with the same type of art style, but I suppose its going to take some time for a new handheld to be developed from here, I suppose we did have a similar pattern with the DS. (D/P/Pt, HG/SS, B/W B2/W2)

What? At least the overworld is radically different, though battles seem similar.

Wadeledge

Till all are One
What? At least the overworld is radically different, though battles seem similar.

Yeah, the overworld is waaaaaaaaay less chibi-fied. Someone pointed out earlier that it looks like the overworld sprites are the same ones they used in cut scenes in gen 6, so the proportions are a lot better.

The big difference I see with the battles, and this might just be a rival battle thing. But both trainers are visible and react to their Pokemon getting hit.

Player characters look really bland this time so hopefully character customization is back (aside from customizing skintone, obvi).

mewmew202

Mostly in regards to the similar models for the Pokemon and trainers, like the selection screen, definitely a different feel to the overworld, with the island theme and sharper details.

I don't know if this image has been shared here yet but I think the comparison between art styles is really interesting! I like the new less chibi look they're going with this gen.

J3N5bqZ.jpg

Just for comparison sake.
amazing how much weight you can lose in just three years

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I think that the games don't need trainer customization as the main character looks fine as it. I am interested to know the name of the main characters.

.Aerodactyl.

I think that the games don't need trainer customization as the main character looks fine as it. I am interested to know the name of the main characters.

Just for the record, there IS customization. We've already seen the different skin tones, as well as different clothes on the protagonists if you watch the videos. We don't know how much, if there are different hair cuts, etc, but there is at least clothes.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master

I couldn't possibly disagree more.

I so need trainer customization, because the protagonist image is incredibly stale. I want my trainer to have all black clothes, dark skin, and long flowing hair, preferably with no hat. Or if I choose a female trainer, I want her to have dark blue clothes with short spiky hair, pale skin, and high heel shoes.

That's how I want to get down. :D

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
From the Japanese trailer I take it the two kids were supposed to broadly represent the In-game player and Rival?

If so this would appear to be another Friendly rival, and not a Silver character

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
From the Japanese trailer I take it the two kids were supposed to broadly represent the In-game player and Rival?

If so this would appear to be another Friendly rival, and not a Silver character

I don't really mind friendly rivals, especially in this case.

Before we only had the Hoenn protagonist go from one part of Japan to another. This time the protagonist is traveling to completely different country, particularly a part with its own culture, heritage, and history outside of said nation. It makes sense for the protagonist to have a buddy who looks after them and helps them out.

Hopefully, this will lead to a much better story.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Just saying but if we can name the "Cousin" I'm totally naming him Roman and me Nico

Nothing says we can't have another rival.

I just hope the rival is more of a threat than the X/Y ones, none of them were a challenge at all.

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
Both of them are named after trees. Hala is from this plant

Interesting. Professor Hala sounds cool and something different, like Rowan, which I was not as familiar with like Oak, Birch, and Elm.

I love to see that so many characters are dark skin/black.

Also do anyone think/want Pheobe to make an appearance? For obvious reasons of Hawaiian themes.

Probably post game in the Battle Resort of the Alola region.

Perhaps a character related to her would be cool as well

Not gonna lie, definitely digging the idea of a fit, shirtless Prof. :cool:

Yeah, and like, I'm not into shipping…

but I'm totally shipping Sycamore and this guy (Hala/Kukui).

.Aerodactyl.

From the few flashes in the video, we have a clear image of the female trainer design. Her outfit and look seem very simple, but her hat reminds me of Ruby. Looks like she will be doing the purse thing again, but with customer returning I am hoping to be able to pick a back pack instead.

Even the male trainer seems very simple and generic this time around, I think it's a combo of the laid back atmosphere of Hawaii (not lazy but kind and friendly) and of creating a more "blank slate" for players to customise. That was one thing about X/Y... Serena had a very distinct outfit and hair style, where I think this little lady is more relatable looks-wise to a wider audience of girls. They both just seem so much more customizable.

I do wonder if we will see these people in the anime...I feel like they want to keep Serena, and this female trainer, at least one of the four options, looks similar to her. I wonder if, instead of introducing a whole new girl travel companion for Ash, if in the anime she will just be a sort of outfit-change of Serena.

Status
Not open for further replies.