• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Character Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LizardonX

Banned
Do you guys think its weird that Steven has a mega Charizard X in the new released images? I kind of think its a little out of place compared to what his team was in the original games.

There can be no better mega pokemon to show off steven's swag.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Do you guys think its weird that Steven has a mega Charizard X in the new released images? I kind of think its a little out of place compared to what his team was in the original games.

Serebii still haven't got the clarification for this.
So what was posted on the main site is still probably misinformation.

And I think Steven doesn't really going to have one. Most likely a placeholder.
Besides, it's not really mentioned that he has one. It only says that he's researching on Mega Evolution.

Gacs

Sorry, but you seem to be operating under the assumption that the people saying that they are tanned think that the characters from the previous games literally went out and got a tan, which is not the case. We're not saying that, just as we wouldn't say that Ethan dyed his hair and put in contacts. We're saying that they have been redesigned to look tanned, which again, makes sense because pirates who are out in the sun a lot would logically develop a tan.

And since one can have a tan without having noticeable tanlines, you are equally as presumptuous in saying that they have definitely most certainly 100% irrefutable law of reality been given a Race Lift without "staff confirmation" of your own.

And yes, people are applying the same level of scrutiny to Brendan's design. I don't know where you've been to miss that, but it's been happening.

Operating under what assumption exactly? Literally your own words:

"Plus, they're pirates. They would logically be out in the sun a lot."

"Personally, I still see a distinctive reddish tone in their skin that looks more like a tan. But I suppose that it would be wisest to wait until the official images are released so that we can base our judgments on something clearer."

I don't really see how there is room for misinterpretation.

You are applying a logical fallacy here in your second paragraph. Burden of proof is on someone establishing a claim. What people's eyes flat-out see is that a number of characters have been redesigned, with a fringe group talking about Team Aqua or Brendan getting sun-tanned with there being zero evidence to show this.

By "level of scrutiny" I am referring to skepticism; i.e. Brendan is now wearing a dark brown wig/got his hair bleached. This is a follow-up to the earlier portions of my post in case you didn't catch that.

I've been meaning to ask this since yesterday but...

Why is their complexion such a huge issue anyway? It technically doesn't really affect anything, story-wise, gameplay-wise.

Because it's a very important thing. Very important. Very.

In other words, I don't get it either. I think it's good that skin colors are getting varied and it really doesn't change the designs that much in comparison to the other massive changes.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Because it's a very important thing. Very important. Very.

In other words, I don't get it either. I think it's good that skin colors are getting varied and it really doesn't change the designs that much in comparison to the other massive changes.

Also, didn't we get an option to change complexion at the start of the game in XY?
So what's the big deal with Brendan?

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
Why is their complexion such a huge issue anyway? Why are a lot of people bothered by this?
It technically doesn't really affect anything, story-wise, gameplay-wise.

I was wondering the same thing. I understand Pokemon has used "white" characters for a while and it's cool that they've altered skin colour over the generations, but why it matters whether they are simply tanned or naturally dark-skinned is of no consequence to my enjoyment of the game, personally.

Also, didn't we get an option to change complexion at the start of the game in XY?
So what's the big deal with Brendan?

Yeah, I'm not really sure about if clothes customization is going to come back, but I'm kind of assuming that getting to pick your skin tone is going to be back in the games. Maybe his art is just reflecting that? Either way, even if that's not the case playing with a slightly darker protagonist isn't going to end the world.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo

Why is their complexion such a huge issue anyway? Why are a lot of people bothered by this?

It's not an issue, really.

I'm just not seeing why "they're tan now" is any more outrageous an assumption than "they're black now" is. Because they don't have tanlines? That hardly proves anything. Because Masuda hasn't come out and confirmed that they're just tanned? Well he hasn't said that they're black, either. To me, it just makes sense that the tans are another manifestation of their pirate theme, just like their costumes are. I didn't think that that was proclaiming anything too wild, but apparently, I need to write up a bibliography with three valid sources in order to verify that they are indeed tan and not black, or else I'm just a part of some conspiracy-theorist fringe group.

Last edited:

TrainerJecht

I think the issue people are having (myself included) is that these aren't new characters. Archie, Matt, and Shelly were existing characters who appeared in the games, the anime, and the manga. I'm assuming the people who think they have gotten a tan do so because it makes more sense than all of a sudden White/Japanese characters being black.

Likewise, if the new Team Aqua were brand new characters, I assume most people would see them as black without a second thought.

Personally, I just seem them as black. But if it turns out they have tan lines or whatever, then the people saying they are just tan are right.

Last edited:
I don't get why some people have a problem with the complexions of some of these characters either.
Team Aquas dark skin complexion (tans) makes sense in that they're based on pirates and spend most of they're lives out at sea.

I like to think of them as actually being darker colored naturally. It also fits with their darker hair, however using hair color as a point with anything about Japanese culture isn't the best idea.
However I wouldn't be suprised if they were just tan. Matt's Aqua logo might even be one more of pokémon's silly tan lines. However if they are indeed that tan none of them will live past 60 because of skin cancer.

Somebody should really call the fashion police because I find Maxie's lower body clothing the worst match ever. Nobody should be allowed to wear a lab coat and shorts. And if it is so terribly warm that you have to wear shorts, at least don't wear woolen Long Johns under.

Last edited:
I don't get why some people have a problem with the complexions of some of these characters either.
Team Aquas dark skin complexion (tans) makes sense in that they're based on pirates and spend most of they're lives out at sea.

Logically having less caucasian skin tones for these characters makes sense too given that Hoenn is referred to as being a more tropical area, so residents would likely have tan-to-black skin tones in general. Why does it matter anyway?

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
However I wouldn't be suprised if they were just tan. Matt's Aqua logo might even be one more of pokémon silly tan lines.

I didn't think of his Aqua insignia as a tanline; my assumption that it was like, war paint or something.

However if they are indeed that tan none of them will live past 60 because skin cancer.

Well, then they can join Marlon in the Hall of Origin.

They'll get along...

... swimmingly.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer

It's not that big a deal and I personally have a strong indifference over it, though the one reason why it feels weird is because we've been so used to them being "white" fo so long and now they changed so drastically. It's kind of more problems with nostalgia, continuity, and the pokémon timeline rather than anything to do with the actual game

Last edited:

*Kyurem*

I'm just putting this out there, but does anyone else see a large resemblance between the new Maxie and Colress?
It could just be the glasses, but they look very similar to me xD

HydroBR

I really don't remember their old looks, but I loved the new Aqua designs! The grunts really look like pirates, and so do the Admins (specially Matt). But Archie... What the hell? I remember him as more pirate-sque. I don't know, more muscular, brute, something like that, like a pirate captain really. Not a huge fan of him now.
About Magma, whatever, I never played Ruby, and don't intend to. But they always looked silly to me, and they still do (specially the Admins).

Now... am I the only one who thought that white thing was Brendan's hair?? When I saw him now, I said "Why they turned his white hair into some weird hat?", and then my brother said "No, it was always like that, Google it". Mind blown.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Now... am I the only one who thought that white thing was Brendan's hair?? When I saw him now, I said "Why they turned his white hair into some weird hat?", and then my brother said "No, it was always like that, Google it". Mind blown.
People have been confused over that for years, you're not the first & you'll definitely won't be the last

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I'm just putting this out there, but does anyone else see a large resemblance between the new Maxie and Colress?
It could just be the glasses, but they look very similar to me xD

FxxbbEr.png

Aside from both looking so intellectual... you be the judge.

*Kyurem*

Aside from both looking so intellectual... you be the judge.

Thank you for that comparison photo! Their boots and jackets are similar. So is their hair (Without Colress's internet Explorer hair curl, at least).

I've also noticed a theme with these new designs, brain (Magma) vs. brawn (Aqua). Team Magma's admins and boss look more intellectual while Team Aqua's admin, Matt, and its leader look physically strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.