• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Character Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bakphoon™

Heated Fury
FxxbbEr.png
Ah, thanks for the picture! I think their Lab Coat makes us feel they are similar.

confuser987

Do you guys think more interesting hats/costumes will be available like the Pangoro hat? I would definitely like to have wear/ride a Robo Groundon/Kyogre like of the NPCs in Gale of Darkness.

Ti4558

Here's a picture of Brandon and May from the original games if you compare it to the new pictures of them you'll notice that the pictures are almost identical to each other.

advanceimg01.jpg

Last edited:

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
I like how Brendan has a pi looking symbol on his shirt. Greek references FTW.

anyway I can't wait for the high-res art because I can't make too much detail out on either team but I definitely am happy with the whole brain vs brawn theme that's really apparent with Maxie looking like a legit scientist and tabitha looking like a fat smart guy (though I miss his bad *** design from the originals) and Archie and Matt just looking like they had months of GTL before their reveal.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Here's a picture of Brandon and May from the original games if you compare it to the new pictures of them you'll notice that the pictures are almost identical to each other.

View attachment 12747

Brendan's skin tone is slightly darker in his OR/AS artwork though. Plus he looks taller and thinner than before in my opinion.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Brendan's skin tone is slightly darker in his OR/AS artwork though. Plus he looks taller and thinner than before in my opinion.

If you compare Sugi's style back then with his recent style, characters would be thinner and taller than the originals.
Anatomical details and musculature are more prominent.

Art style change and improve as years go by. So changes like these are to be expected and is not at all surprising.

The Mustache

I love brendan's new design but May... not soo much. She is my favorite character from all pokemon world and I don't like what they've done with her bandana...

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
K let's go in order...one thing at a time.

Kind of underwelmed by Brandon's design. The tan was a good idea, but for the rest his clothes are way too skin-tight for my liking...

I LOVE THE NEW MAY OMG SO PRETTY AND COOL AND MODERN AND BEACHY AND ADULT YES so much yes. The bow and the shorts rule. I'm just wondering why her hair had to be lighter, she's always been a brunette.... but whateves, I really can't complain about this one.

They did a great job with Steven Stone (btw, is he confirmed to be the Champion yet?), they somehow kept it consistant with the original design while also highlighting the steel components in his clothing. Yesssss. Still don't get why he has to have a mega-char. X though. Not just because that thing doesn't really need any more advertising, but also because I can take it as a sign there won't be any mega-Metagross....

So....the evil teams. First of all I have to say I like how they re interpreted their members around the two very opposiite concepts of pirate attires vs academy/official uniforms

But then.... why is Team Magma's male admin fat xD also I'm not to fond of what they did with Team Aqua's Leader and female admin.... they look a bit too...techno? Especially Archie, he just doesn't look...right....even his face looks very different.... damn he used to be such a badass, now I'm not sure I like him all that much...

On the other hand I really like Maxie and the rest of the Aqua people. Dem leggings. Dem ragged shorts. That manly tattooed torso. Me likey.

Final verdict: overall satisfied, and hyped as ****.

Last edited:

Jps101

They did a great job with Steven Stone (btw, is he confirmed to be the Champion yet?), they somehow kept it consistant with the original design while also highlighting the steel components in his clothing. Yesssss. Still don't get why he has to have a mega-char. X though. Not just because that thing doesn't really need any more advertising, but also because I can take it as a sign there won't be any mega-Metagross....

The Charizard probably doesn't even belong to Steven. Take note that it's level 100. It may just be a case of their using the image to show that Steven's doing research into Mega-Evolution.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Am I the only one who dislikes Courtney more than Tabitha? I'm not much of a fan of Tabitha either but at least he looks drastically different from his original design. Courtney almost looks like an ORAS generic female grunt imo. I really miss her black dress as it made her look more different than the female grunts in RSE.

cinderkitteh

Pretteh Kitteh Khat
I miss Shelly's curly red hair (last name Temple, anyone?).

I'd also like to know what's up with the teams diverging along apparent race lines. Unless all of the Aqua members are just really, really tan? I wonder if that was intentional. It's noticeable, and uncomfortably weird for being so.

Glad someone else is disappointed with the new May. No bandanna; now it's a bow. No mere spandex workout shorts; now it's Shauna-esque minishorts on top. No more collared flak jacket-looking vest; now it's a frill-bottomed low-cut tanktop with Lyra-style ... neck flaps? I have no idea what those are called. Man, I do wish they'd forgone the minishorts. Any young women playing Pokemon don't need the encouragement to wear underwear on the outside and pretend they're legitimate pants.

I know this is from the first page, but oh my gosh all of my yes. I wholeheartedly agree; I'm not a fan of the new character designs. Why does May need more boobage? In Gen 3, they were supposed to be ten year olds! Ten year olds do not have boobage like that! Plus I miss the bandanna... That was always my favorite part of May's design.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Am I the only one who dislikes Courtney more than Tabitha? I'm not much of a fan of Tabitha either but at least he looks drastically different from his original design. Courtney almost looks like an ORAS generic female grunt imo. I really miss her black dress as it made her look more different than the female grunts in RSE.

Same here. I was actually a bit disappointed with Courtney more than Tabitha as well.

Changed the hood's horn to yellow, and made her skirt and boots a bit more stylish... it doesn't really stand out.
She may have gotten a change of hair color, but it appears that Magma Grunts did too (see new female Grunt)...

Schade

Metallic Wonder

Courtney seems a lot like a spoiled brat. And Tabitha was a lot hotter in the anime and RSE games. It's like he couldn't get enough of those Lava Cookies, as someone said earlier.
And Yeah, I miss the redhead Shelly as well.. But New improved Team Aqua are really badarse!
Designvise for Courtney, you can see that her clothes are different from the female grunts, but the colors make it look very alike.

Last edited:

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
I know this is from the first page, but oh my gosh all of my yes. I wholeheartedly agree; I'm not a fan of the new character designs. Why does May need more boobage? In Gen 3, they were supposed to be ten year olds! Ten year olds do not have boobage like that! Plus I miss the bandanna... That was always my favorite part of May's design.

Well, strictly speaking, they're not supposed to be ten-year-olds specifically (the "ten-years-old" rule is anime-only). Their ages are usually meant to be in the ambiguous haze of "young." The only exception to this that I know of is Red, who is canonically eleven at the start of his journey, and Hilbert/Hilda who were confirmed to have been designed to look older than previous protagonists, although I suspect that the same thing applies to Calem/Serena since, at least in my eyes, they look even older than Hildabert.

Last edited:

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
I wonder if the reason May looks similar to Shauna is simply because in the game graphics they merely did a quick swap and re-used Shauna's character model for May with some slight alterations.

Notice how May's toes/legs are pointed inward like the way Shauna stands in the games too.

May just looks de-aged while Brendan looks mega buffed. I really wished they kept their old designs or modified it rather than giving them a whole new makeover. If they show up in the anime I wonder how that will change.

Well, strictly speaking, they're not supposed to be ten-year-olds specifically (the "ten-years-old" rule is anime-only). Their ages are usually meant to be in the ambiguous haze of "young." The only exception to this that I know of is Red, who is canonically eleven at the start of his journey, and Hilbert/Hilda who were confirmed to have been designed to look older than previous protagonists, although I suspect that the same thing applies to Calem/Serena since, at least in my eyes, they look even older than Hildabert.

Yup, that's correct. However, Red is supposed to be 11, and that's the only real age we got. We know that he's three years older than Gold, so probably Gold is 11 canon? And Hilbert/Hilda were confirmed to be older than the usual protaganists, I don't know where I read it but it was something like how they're 16. I don't know. But, even though May's upper looks older in the anime/RSE games, she still did look her age "10" but now, she looks younger.

Last edited:
The main characters just keep on getting skinnier.

Uhh what have they done to team Magma? Tabitha looks ridiculous and Maxie is so lame compared to Archie. At least Courtney looks better now than she did before though she isn't anything special.

This almost makes me want to buy AS instead of OR. Only downgrade in team Aqua is Shelly. She used to look better, the red hair especially was awesome but I guess they couldn't keep it since it would look weird, because Team aqua is black/tan now.
Matt is pretty badäss now.

Flame Haji

Ground Gym Leader
Sorry if this has been said before, or is the wrong place but....

Since this is a remake...will our characters be able to buy clothes and change hair color and styles? These characters are based on the old ones, so it would be strange to let us change them. What do you guys think?

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
although I suspect that the same thing applies to Calem/Serena since, at least in my eyes, they look even older than Hildabert.

I think it's just the art style that makes them look older. Aside from looking taller in their official artwork, there's nothing about them that really screams "older than everyone else". The only other group of protagonists that I thought looked remotely old aside from Hilbert/Hilda were the original Brendan/May.

Aetius

Sorry if this has been said before, or is the wrong place but....

Since this is a remake...will our characters be able to buy clothes and change hair color and styles? These characters are based on the old ones, so it would be strange to let us change them. What do you guys think?

Whetever they're old characters or not doesn't make that much of a difference.
In any case I think that character customization will remain; I mean, this is the greatest feature that they could introduce in the Pokèmon franchise.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
The main characters just keep on getting skinnier.
Why does May need more boobage? In Gen 3, they were supposed to be ten year olds! Ten year olds do not have boobage like that! Plus I miss the bandanna... That was always my favorite part of May's design.

I don't think May looks skinnier or has bigger breasts. If you look at her original designs from RS & Emerald, her physique looks just about the same and, if anything, this new May looks like she has a smaller cleavage. If anything, the only area where I think she looks skinnier in her redsign would be the legs

Uhh what have they done to team Magma? Tabitha looks ridiculous and Maxie is so lame compared to Archie. At least Courtney looks better now than she did before though she isn't anything special.

This almost makes me want to buy AS instead of OR. Only downgrade in team Aqua is Shelly. She used to look better, the red hair especially was awesome but I guess they couldn't keep it since it would look weird, because Team aqua is black/tan now.
Matt is pretty badäss now.

I'm kind of torn 50/50 between Team Aqua & Team Magma's redesigns now that I think about it. On one hand, I do agree that the earlier designs had the characters (Shelly aside) look too generic as if they were Mary Sues, while these new versions give them more distinction, personality, and they still work with their theme's overall motifs. Aside from Team Magam's poses, I don't really see them as copies to Team Flare. Plus, in all honesty, Matt and Tabitha both have definitely benefited the most in terms of personality and uniqueness. I only really remembered Tabitha since he had a girl's name, while I only remember Matt's pose without actually remembering his name. Other than that, they seemed like any old cardboard cutout male antagonist

On the other hand, since we were used to the original designs for so long, I am having a hard time taking in these changes since they're so sudden and extreme. The only two characters I really have a problem with, design-wise, are Courtney and Shelly since Courtney's older outfit didn't look as similar to the female grunts, while Shelly is still the one redesign I still really see as a gangsta' rapper because of her pose. I don't completely see Team Aqua as black anymore after looking at the whole tan possibility, though now I seem them as Ganguro too, and we all know what happened the last time Game Freak used that concept in one of their designs

Bottom line, I still feel like people are upset with Team Aqua and Team Magma's new designs partly because of how they're so drastic, and partly because of the nostalgia factor (what I call Genwunner Syndrome). It's pretty much the same reaction we had to Fairy types and mega evolution, only at a much smaller scale. I'm sure in time we'll get used to the new Team Aqua and Team Magma and, hopefully, welcome them with open arms

Status
Not open for further replies.