• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Character Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarlet Tactician

Lazy, But Here
It's even more ominous when the device cuts off entirely.
That was eerie, especially with Maxie/Archie cutting out before that.

And since I played OR, it almost felt like May was going to the center of the earth for extra ominous points. I'm kicking myself for not checking out the news reports in the Cave of Origin, though.

Scarlet Tactician

Lazy, But Here
Is it just me, or was Game Freak really pushing the whole BrendanxMay OTP thing via subliminal messages throughout the game?
It definitely felt like Hoennshipping was more blatant this time, especially with
the scene with the Beautifly in the beginning, Brendan/May getting his/her special full model cutscene when they introduce him/her, the ending to the Delta Episode and the meteor shower at the end of the normal storyline, and much more.
It doesn't shock me too much, though. The protagonist x protagonist ship has always been the closest to canon aside from maybe Nate x Yancy/Curtis x Rosa. Even with Shauna, Calem/Serena gets more teases with the player character in my opinion.

EDIT: Why aren't my spoilers working properly?

Last edited:

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
EDIT: Why aren't my spoilers working properly?

It's because you put
without giving it a subject (i.e.
). If you don't want to give it a subject, then just put [SPOIL].

Anyway, yeah, I definitely did pick up on the subtext between Brendan and May. And while I didn't play as May, I have heard that if you do, Brendan outright says at some point that he considers you his girlfriend. Obviously I don't have the context on that, but wow. Even XY didn't go that far into it, although I disagree in that I think the focus of XY was more on PlayerxShauna. Serena/Calem friendzones you hard after the ultimate weapon.

I don't really mind these elements, though.

Last edited:

Scarlet Tactician

Lazy, But Here
It's because you put
without giving it a subject (i.e.
). If you don't want to give it a subject, then just put [SPOIL].

Anyway, yeah, I definitely did pick up on the subtext between Brendan and May. And while I didn't play as May, I have heard that if you do, Brendan outright says at some point that he considers you his girlfriend. Obviously I don't have the context on that, but wow. Even XY didn't go that far into it, although I disagree in that I think the focus of XY was more on PlayerxShauna. Serena/Calem friendzones you hard after the ultimate weapon.

I don't really mind these elements, though.
Thanks, I fixed it.

And I forgot about the friendzoning, which is odd because that made me chuckle more than it should have. The only Shauna/player moment I remember was the fireworks, though I guess her sneaking along near the climax counts too.

And I don't remember Brendan saying that at all, unless I missed a line. I feel like I would have DEFINITELY remembered that, though. He calls May his friend, but I don't remember him calling her a girlfriend.

Has anyone done a dump of all the story-based Buzz Nav messages? I'd like to see what I missed.

I was wondering the same thing! I didn't use the BuzzNav really at all because I found it sort-of distracting when I was trying to focus on what I was doing. I'm bummed that I missed so much cool stuff. :(

Prince Manaphy

I like Empoleon too.
You know what I honestly wished for?

Bringing back Wally's theme whenever we battle Wally every day (after beating one of the Battle Chatelaines). Gosh darn, I want to hear his theme so much. Can we make up some petition to ask Junichi Masuda to send out another patch that allows us to play Wally's theme whenever we battle him!?

Last edited:

theswweet

swweet is awesomme!
You know what I honestly wished for?

Bringing back Wally's theme whenever we battle Wally every day (after beating one of the Battle Chatelaines). Gosh darn, I want to hear his theme so much. Can we make up some petition to ask Junichi Masuda to send out another patch that allows us to play Wally's theme whenever we battle him!?

Problem is that GameFreak is pants-on-head when it comes to patches. If we did get one, it would probably be several hundred megabytes large or some other asinine crap, just to get the music to play during those scenes. I mean - the last patch was 34MB to change a freaking border; one image!

Prince Manaphy

I like Empoleon too.
Problem is that GameFreak is pants-on-head when it comes to patches. If we did get one, it would probably be several hundred megabytes large or some other asinine crap, just to get the music to play during those scenes. I mean - the last patch was 34MB to change a freaking border; one image!

You mean that this recent patch was 34 MB for one pixel image!? You're kidding me! The reason I wanted to hear his theme again when battling him is becaues it's Wally! He's grown so much but the normal trainer battle theme devalued him sadly. :(

Don't tell me that it'll cost mroe than 1 GB to change the music when battling him! D:

theswweet

swweet is awesomme!
You mean that this recent patch was 34 MB for one pixel image!? You're kidding me! The reason I wanted to hear his theme again when battling him is becaues it's Wally! He's grown so much but the normal trainer battle theme devalued him sadly. :(

Don't tell me that it'll cost mroe than 1 GB to change the music when battling him! D:

Datamining revealed that the only change was changing one image, yes. For whatever reason, GameFreak likes to update all of the files related to the change as well; so they just redownloaded the actual codebase.

Banana Bloodplanet

I don't really like romance with the main character in games, especially if the feeling's mutual...because it's like, I'm playing as this character, so I assume I'm supposed to feel like/be represented by this character in some way (especially if you can choose your name and gender). And in ORAS, I just don't like the way Brendan speaks if you play as May. He sounds very immature and annoying sometimes. Not that I'm attracted to people to begin with, but yeah. I didn't like his personality.

Last edited:

HexManiacAbby

I don't really like romance with the main character in games, especially if the feeling's mutual...because it's like, I'm playing as this character, so I assume I'm supposed to feel like/be represented by this character in some way (especially if you can choose your name and gender). And in ORAS, I just don't like the way Brendan speaks if you play as May. He sounds very immature and annoying sometimes. Not that I'm attracted to people to begin with, but yeah. I didn't like his personality.

Nobody is forcing you to like this pairing. Just ignore it and return training your Pokémon (Which is what this game is about).

And can we stop saying the characters are annoying for some petty reason or another? It really irks me to find that on the internet. "Barry is so annoying/Bianca is annoying because she is so weak and girly/Shauna is annoying for almost the same reason/Lyra is so annoying because she replaced Kris and Kris is a strong tomboy and Lyra is girly and childish so she sucks/Rosa is annoying since she is neither Hilda nor a tomboy and her hairstyle is stupid/Wally is unnecessary because he's an oneshot character and I'd rather have May/Brendan as my rival, etc"

If I had a penny for each time I hear these petty complains, I'd have the money to buy the 3DS and both ORAS games.

Last edited:

Banana Bloodplanet

Nobody is forcing you to like this pairing. Just ignore it and return training your Pokémon (Which is what this game is about).

And can we stop saying the characters are annoying for some petty reason or another? It really irks me to find that on the internet. "Barry is so annoying/Bianca is annoying because she is so weak and girly/Shauna is annoying for almost the same reason/Lyra is so annoying because she replaced Kris and Kris is a strong tomboy and Lyra is girly and childish so she sucks/Rosa is annoying since she is neither Hilda nor a tomboy and her hairstyle is stupid/Wally is unnecessary because he's an oneshot character and I'd rather have May/Brendan as my rival, etc"

If I had a penny for each time I hear these petty complains, I'd have the money to buy the 3DS and both ORAS games.
I don't think characters are annoying for shallow reasons like replacing a character, the way they dress or look, how strong or weak they are, etc. I think characters (and real people) are annoying based on personality and actions, which are legitimate reasons to find someone or something annoying. Brendan, to me, is annoying because of the way he speaks/reacts to situations, which is part of his personality.

I'm not being forced into liking it, but my character is forced into the pairing so I have to see it, and I'd rather not have the character I'm playing as being paired, unless my character actually has a distinct personality and speaking lines. It's not as big a deal to me as someone who reads this post might interpret, and it doesn't ruin the game for me/isn't a criticism of the game itself. It doesn't make me not want to play the game. It doesn't make training my Pokemon, participating in contests, or exploring the region any less enjoyable. It's just a personal problem.

Last edited:
I haven't seen any problematic dialogue in these games yet, but I agree that I wouldn't want it stated that my character has romantic feelings for an NPC without giving me any control over it. would it ruin the game for me? of course not. but I'd much prefer them leaving it out or just leaving my character's response ambiguous. NPCs having feelings for me is fine, but I want to be able to decide if it's reciprocated or not (or, as I said, just leave my reaction unclear.)

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I didn't really notice the supposed feelings between the playable character and May/Brendan in OR/AS. I don't play the games for faux-romance, so that doesn't really matter to me.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I didn't really notice the supposed feelings between the playable character and May/Brendan in OR/AS. I don't play the games for faux-romance, so that doesn't really matter to me.

Neither do I, but it was sure as hell hard to ignore.

I'm still waiting for the ability to press Start to skip dialogue entirely

That'd be pretty nice. At least Pokemon still doesn't have very long dialogues.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
If we could do that, it would be very easy to lose important information and that would leave the game unwinnable by mistake. Kind of like with HMs in gen. I.

Dialogue and cutscene skips are always optional. Games don't force it on you.

Grei

not the color
Ugh, I hated the weird romance scenes. It's strange considering Brendan and May are young kids, just barely becoming teenagers. Also, it felt unbelievable, considering we really only meet the "rival" in passing for most of the game.

This seems like a part of a recent trend in which GF is trying to force the games to be more love and daisies than before. X and Y made me want to vomit with its ending, and ORAS was unbearable with the make-up scene between Archie and Maxie. Leave that crap out of Pokemon please, GF.

Status
Not open for further replies.