• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Character Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

unicornhiccup

bye cruel people
So archie and shelly are siblings and used to have a jirachi and arceus, or did they just meet them and were friends with them?

Who knows, but I think zinnia lost her mom and named her whismer after her. Kinda made me sad.

On mt pyre there's a ghost girl who says the same thing in x y when you go to the 2nd floor of the building in x y "you're not the one", and I really wish we knew what we supposed to have when we see her. Hoopa?

But now Zinnia's my favorite character. I wonder where she went after the delta episode

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
So archie and shelly are siblings and used to have a jirachi and arceus, or did they just meet them and were friends with them?

I knew about them and Jirachi, but what implied that they had an Arceus?

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
So archie and shelly are siblings and used to have a jirachi and arceus, or did they just meet

Not Arceus, no. The photograph was Shelly's, and it was labelled, "The 7th day of the --th month, --002. With Arc--e and --rachi." With the spaces filled in, that's "Arc[hi]e and [Ji]rachi."

Anyway, they most likely just met the Jirachi during the Pokémon world equivalent of the Tanabata festival. When Archie first sees the storm that Kyogre is unleashed in Alpha Sapphire, he laments that he was only trying to create an ideal world for Pokémon and "for that Pokémon," referring to Jirachi and implying that he only had that meaningful, one-time encounter with it. Which makes sense, considering that it is only awake for one week out of every 1,000 years (at least according to the Pokédex).

Also, it was never said that they were related. I, like Akashin, also took the photograph to mean that they were childhood friends.

Last edited:

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
On mt pyre there's a ghost girl who says the same thing in x y when you go to the 2nd floor of the building in x y "you're not the one", and I really wish we knew what we supposed to have when we see her. Hoopa?

Nothing. You do nothing.

Game Freak has repeatedly added creepy elements in their games.

Case in point, the Old Chateau in the Sinnoh games. The Marvelous Bridge in BW and the Strange House in B2W2.

Her presence here is probably just a small nod to the ghost girl as well as the XY Hex Maniac's....popularity.

(Why do people even suggest Hoopa has something to do with her? It's just a teleporter.)

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
(Why do people even suggest Hoopa has something to do with her? It's just a teleporter.)

I assume because ghost-type = spooooooooooky

And anyway, somebody already tried taking a Hoopa to the building in Lumiose, and nothing happened. Not that anybody should have expected it to anyway; why would Hoopa unlock an event in XY if, by the time that Hoopa was officially released, XY would most likely be irrelevant, as GF would have moved on to newer games?

DasManiac

I suspect there must be a trigger to get Glacia to appear somewhere in post game. The other Elite Four members do so it makes sense for Glacia. How do you get Phoebe to appear at Mt Pyre though?

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
I suspect there must be a trigger to get Glacia to appear somewhere in post game. The other Elite Four members do so it makes sense for Glacia. How do you get Phoebe to appear at Mt Pyre though?

Just go left when you approach the stairs to the alter where the orbs were held.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
I assume because ghost-type = spooooooooooky

And anyway, somebody already tried taking a Hoopa to the building in Lumiose, and nothing happened. Not that anybody should have expected it to anyway; why would Hoopa unlock an event in XY if, by the time that Hoopa was officially released, XY would most likely be irrelevant, as GF would have moved on to newer games?

While I agree that the Ghost Girl and Hoopa probably have no connections between each other, BW did have In-Game events for Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genesect despite very likely being irrelevant by the time they would be released.

Last edited:

Silverevilchao

Scythe-Wielding Chao
While I agree that the Ghost Girl and Hoopa probably have no connections between each other, BW did have In-Game events for Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genesect despite very likely being irrelevant by the time they would be released.

If you want to go back even farther, D/P had events for Darkrai and Shaymin, yet Platinum was the game that got those event items. And the Azure Flute event existed in code but never materialized.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
And for that matter, where was it said they were related? I was thinking childhood friends, personally.

I always assumed that they were friends as well. Tbh, Team Aqua in these games slays me. I just love everything about its members, even the grunts and the way they walk.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo

I though about that, but then, were BW really that irrelevant by the time of B2W2? B2W2 had features that relied on you having a copy of BW, which sustained their relevance somewhat. Taking that a bit further, B2W2 were marketed more as a continuation, whereas ORAS are ~new games~ in relation to XY. There are no significant ties. Plus, B2W2 were mechanically inclusive of BW, whereas everything new to ORAS is pretty much exclusive to ORAS (#NoMegaPatch).

If you want to go back even farther, D/P had events for Darkrai and Shaymin, yet Platinum was the game that got those event items. And the Azure Flute event existed in code but never materialized.

Those were arguably a bit different. They weren't like, "take this Pokémon to this old game and make This Cool Thing happen like Diancie in ORAS but in reverse," but more like, "we'll give you an item so that you can get this Pokémon and make your friends jealous, just as usual." The former necessitates that you already have the Pokémon in question stored on a more recent game.

Although now that you bring it up, I still don't see what Masuda thought was so confusing about taking a flute up to a mountain to get Arceus...

Silverevilchao

Scythe-Wielding Chao
Those were arguably a bit different. They weren't like, "take this Pokémon to this old game and make This Cool Thing happen like Diancie in ORAS but in reverse," but more like, "we'll give you an item so that you can get this Pokémon and make your friends jealous, just as usual." The former necessitates that you already have the Pokémon in question stored on a more recent game.

Although now that you bring it up, I still don't see what Masuda thought was so confusing about taking a flute up to a mountain to get Arceus...

I meant in that "we coded this stuff in but you're not getting it, surprise! You should've waited for Platinum!". The person I was quoting mentioned stuff that was coded in for Meloetta and the like despite the fact that most of the event mons for 5th gen weren't given out till B2W2.

Now, if you want a direct Diancie analogue, you had the shiny Raikou/Entei/Suicune events for D/P/Pt/HG/SS that unlocked stuff in Black/White...

On the subject of event mons/items...I'm a little miffed that we're just handed the Pokemon now. I wouldn't mind having to do a sidequest to get Diancie or Hoopa or Volcanion. It makes it work within the universe more, as opposed to "you're randomly getting a legendary from this person in a Pokemon Center!".

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
Tbh, Team Aqua in these games slays me. I just love everything about its members, even the grunts and the way they walk.

This, so much. Aqua have gone from one of the most boring teams in my opinion to probably my favourite. That characterisation is so good. The entire team just seems to be so friendly and kinda goofy for villains but not completely non threatening, and the dynamic between Archie, Matt and Shelly is pretty unique amongst Pokemon 'bad guys'. I was pretty much looking forward to their next appearance the entire time.

I've seen a few cutscenes from Omega Ruby as well (plus their appearances in Alpha Sapphire), and I find Magma to be kind of the same, really. Not quite as unique as Aqua, but both teams are really well characterised here and with good character interactions, particularly near the end of the Cave of Origin/the Delta Episode. It's surprising how ORAS managed to make both teams actually some of the better Pokemon villains, when before they were just kind of meh.

That said, I found a lot of the characters a lot better this time around anyway! Granted, I may just not have remembered them that well since it's been ages since I played the original Sapphire (then again, I played Pearl first and I think I remember them a little better). After X and Y's dull Gym Leaders with only two having any real personality, these are more interesting - I quite like Wattson, Flannery, Norman and Wallace in particular. Steven's repeated appearances also made him seem a lot less of a boring Champion in this game. Wally's pretty cool as well.

Just... all the characters in this game are really good, which seems kinda unusual for Pokemon. Wow. :)

Aetius

Today I went to Sea Mauville and well.....I can't believe that they hinted at a Yuri relationship! Not that I minded though. LOL
Other than that I loved how they developed the whole story behind New Mauville and Sea Mauville.
I do hope that they will keep on doing things like this in the future games. :D

HexManiacAbby

GF sure likes to put creepy stuff in the games. I didn't know about that chair until I saw the article.

- 'You're not the one' Hex Maniac
- Eerie intercom response at the empty Apt. 16 on Mauville Hills
- Ghost girl on Phoebe's E4 room

I wonder if there are more we actually missed.

You forgot the ghost girl and the ghost old man from Platinum. They are sprites so I guess it's really hard to notice that they are not common NPCs.

Nothing. You do nothing.

Game Freak has repeatedly added creepy elements in their games.

Case in point, the Old Chateau in the Sinnoh games. The Marvelous Bridge in BW and the Strange House in B2W2.

Her presence here is probably just a small nod to the ghost girl as well as the XY Hex Maniac's....popularity.

Yes, the ghosts are found in that place (the Old Chateau).

Btw, why nobody believes Wally is the true rival? A lot of people I've found online just keep saying May/Brendan are the rivals and Wally is just out there when they were obviously not. At least in the originals, where they abandoned mid-game and Wally only got stronger.

Now we can say May/Brendan are the rivals too, since they have their roles expanded. Which makes sense since GF has already made more recent games with the multiple rivals format. But even then they feel like Red Herrings to surprise you with Wally.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Wally is a rival, but it doesn't help you only fight him twice in the whole game to make him less memorable than Brendan/May. Wally pursues Gyms but he isn't fought too much, while Brenday/May doesn't do Gyms but they do fight you a lot.

Fortunately for Wally, he got the benefit of being a super trainer to keep fighting in the post-game unlike Brendan/May. Unfortunately for Wally, unlike the vanilla versions, people have to endure fifty damned super battles in a row in the maison to get him to come out.

In the end, Wally is a rival but does not fulfill the usual requirements and thus doesn't feel that true of a rival. He's more like a "Hey, I'm not a kid anymore! I'm gonna beat you up!" child.

Last edited:

HexManiacAbby

Wally is a rival, but it doesn't help you only fight him twice in the whole game to make him less memorable than Brendan/May. Wally pursues Gyms but he isn't fought too much, while Brenday/May doesn't do Gyms but they do fight you a lot.

Fortunately for Wally, he got the benefit of being a super trainer to keep fighting in the post-game unlike Brendan/May. Unfortunately for Wally, unlike the vanilla versions, people have to endure fifty damned super battles in a row in the maison to get him to come out.

In the end, Wally is a rival but does not fulfill the usual requirements and thus doesn't feel that true of a rival. He's more like a "Hey, I'm not a kid anymore! I'm gonna beat you up!" child.

Yeah, the requirements are stupid. Probably they thought they could get away with it due to the difficulty of the game decreasing since the rivals' rematches are always good sources of Experience to grind our Pokémon to level 100. But those requirements practically imply we are already level 100 by the time we can get Wally's rematches.

One can understand this but it doesn't make it less disappointing...

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
You forgot the ghost girl and the ghost old man from Platinum. They are sprites so I guess it's really hard to notice that they are not common NPCs.

Another, less-frequently mentioned one is the woman in the house on Route 217 in Platinum. On the first time that you talk to her, she gives you a Spell Tag. Then, if you exit and re-enter her house, you find it completely empty, with the old woman having vanished.

HexManiacAbby

Another, less-frequently mentioned one is the woman in the house on Route 217 in Platinum. On the first time that you talk to her, she gives you a Spell Tag. Then, if you exit and re-enter her house, you find it completely empty, with the old woman having vanished.

Oh, yeah! That one! I only remembered her when I saw a Let's Play, but I forgot about it again! #lame

Oh, and there is also that guy from the Darkrai event. The one in the Inn.

Status
Not open for further replies.