• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Character Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Another, less-frequently mentioned one is the woman in the house on Route 217 in Platinum. On the first time that you talk to her, she gives you a Spell Tag. Then, if you exit and re-enter her house, you find it completely empty, with the old woman having vanished.

Oh yes, the yuki-onna. Tbh while I appreciate the ghosts, since they don't really do anything, I have a hard time remembering them or caring for them in general. The ghost girl in Phoebe's chair is memorable and creepy though.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Wally is a rival, but it doesn't help you only fight him twice in the whole game to make him less memorable than Brendan/May. Wally pursues Gyms but he isn't fought too much, while Brenday/May doesn't do Gyms but they do fight you a lot.

Fortunately for Wally, he got the benefit of being a super trainer to keep fighting in the post-game unlike Brendan/May. Unfortunately for Wally, unlike the vanilla versions, people have to endure fifty damned super battles in a row in the maison to get him to come out.

In the end, Wally is a rival but does not fulfill the usual requirements and thus doesn't feel that true of a rival. He's more like a "Hey, I'm not a kid anymore! I'm gonna beat you up!" child.

I managed to unlock the final fight with Wally and it was a total disappointment. Even his full team is a letdown (my Lv52 MODEST Salamence outsped and OHKOd his Lv79 Garchomp). TBH, it isn't worth trying for 50 straight wins to fight him. I only did it for the statues because I only managed to get 2 in X. I actually forgot that winning 50 would cause him to challenge you again. Another thing I dislike about him is that he stands right in the middle of the Maison lobby where the statues are. I want to admire my statues as they're a nightmare for me to get but I can't with him standing there. Brendan/May were much better rivals in this game and they weren't that impressive to begin with.

Another character I wasn't a fan of was Zinnia. She seemed like such an odd character to begin with but the whole Draconid story was weird to me. The way she acted when she went around stealing Key Stones, from several characters I liked might I add, bugged me too and her manner of speaking was really annoying.

HexManiacAbby

I managed to unlock the final fight with Wally and it was a total disappointment. Even his full team is a letdown (my Lv52 MODEST Salamence outsped and OHKOd his Lv79 Garchomp). TBH, it isn't worth trying for 50 straight wins to fight him. I only did it for the statues because I only managed to get 2 in X. I actually forgot that winning 50 would cause him to challenge you again. Another thing I dislike about him is that he stands right in the middle of the Maison lobby where the statues are. I want to admire my statues as they're a nightmare for me to get but I can't with him standing there. Brendan/May were much better rivals in this game and they weren't that impressive to begin with.

Another character I wasn't a fan of was Zinnia. She seemed like such an odd character to begin with but the whole Draconid story was weird to me. The way she acted when she went around stealing Key Stones, from several characters I liked might I add, bugged me too and her manner of speaking was really annoying.

She did have a reason to do that. It's not like one day she woke up one day and said "derp, i have nothing better to do! i know, i will steal people's key stones for sh**s and giggles! :D"

Didn't you pick up the hints of what she was doing? I'd mention it, but spoilers and I can't spoiler from my tablet.

Akashin

That was what bugged you about her? Her thievery was relatively small potatoes compared to some of what she pulled.

I really liked Zinnia--easily my favorite character in the game barring Steven and maybe Wallace--but I can easily see where people are coming from with not liking her.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
That was what bugged you about her? Her thievery was relatively small potatoes compared to some of what she pulled.

I really liked Zinnia--easily my favorite character in the game barring Steven and maybe Wallace--but I can easily see where people are coming from with not liking her.

She is Cynthia 2.0 in the Mary Sue department. I can't like her to be honest. Her music and theme where great, shame Rayquaza obliterates it even with terrible IVs.

Gotta say that the thing I liked about her was the random wishmur and only coz the model is somewhat cute.

Akashin

She is Cynthia 2.0 in the Mary Sue department. I can't like her to be honest. Her music and theme where great, shame Rayquaza obliterates it even with terrible IVs.

Gotta say that the thing I liked about her was the random wishmur and only coz the model is somewhat cute.

Mind explaining this? I didn't get a Cynthia feel from her at all (for one, Zinnia is quite flawed), so I'm interested in where you're coming from.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Zinnia is immaculate in my view. Her personality is quirky and I love her backstory. I'm actually really sad that we apparently can't re-battle her after Delta Episode.

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Strider: Spider King
She did have a reason to do that. It's not like one day she woke up one day and said "derp, i have nothing better to do! i know, i will steal people's key stones for sh**s and giggles! :D"

Didn't you pick up the hints of what she was doing? I'd mention it, but spoilers and I can't spoiler from my tablet.

Pfft, you're telling me you don't wake up and want to steal from eco terrorists? You haven't lived, man.

I find her grating as well.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
she walked into some dork's house, beat him up, and took his glasses, right after he'd been humiliated and said he wanted to atone for his misdeeds

maybe I'm just biased because I'm a dork, but I find that really difficult to sympathize with

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
She is Cynthia 2.0 in the Mary Sue department.

Cynthia has appeared waaaaay more times in other generations than Zinnia alone, so comparing both of them is like comparing a Luvdisc with an Alomomola.

You could say Zinnia was like the evil team in which they all try to control the legendary but all fail, except she's no villain but has some rather screwed methods in doing things herself.

Akashin

she walked into some dork's house, beat him up, and took his glasses, right after he'd been humiliated and said he wanted to atone for his misdeeds

maybe I'm just biased because I'm a dork, but I find that really difficult to sympathize with

Huh, that's a good point. I played Sapphire, so that part didn't come off nearly as bad when I was playing.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Cynthia has appeared waaaaay more times in other generations than Zinnia alone, so comparing both of them is like comparing a Luvdisc with an Alomomola.

You could say Zinnia was like the evil team in which they all try to control the legendary but all fail, except she's no villain but has some rather screwed methods in doing things herself.

When I called her a Mary sue is in the way of a plot retardant sue. The way she was pointed up as a bigger threats than the previous villainous team, pointing flaws on other character arguments while being referenced as either special or threatening by every dammed NPCs that character passed by before doing a pass the touch routine to the player... She is borderline a black hole sue.

For the record having quirks or an uncommon weakness doesn't spare a Sue, in fact they might make her more likeable to her story counterparts while failing to make her less Sueish. It's a common mistake on most FF works.

Iblistech

Simply Fabulous
She stole from a 10 year old child too. I seriously think that's just plain wrong. I get what she was trying to do and accomplish, but still.

HexManiacAbby

When I called her a Mary sue is in the way of a plot retardant sue. The way she was pointed up as a bigger threats than the previous villainous team, pointing flaws on other character arguments while being referenced as either special or threatening by every dammed NPCs that character passed by before doing a pass the touch routine to the player... She is borderline a black hole sue.

For the record having quirks or an uncommon weakness doesn't spare a Sue, in fact they might make her more likeable to her story counterparts while failing to make her less Sueish. It's a common mistake on most FF works.

Uuuh... I always saw her as ORAS' answer to AZ. Maybe I have to play the games to see what you mean, but apparently the only thing she did was trying to get Mega Rayquaza to revive Aster the First, whoever that may be (Though I honestly believe it's another Whismur). She was how to call it, Antivillainous. A villain who is meant to be sympathetic, like N and AZ. But still a villain, since N did bad things misguided and AZ freaking killed lots of people. In Zinnia's case, she sided with the bad guys, stole plot-relevant stuff and attacked the heroes.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst

Cynthia doesn't really do much more then Steven does in Emerald. Both help you out over the game, they're quick to criticize the villainous team, most characters will be quick to praise them, and will help you out in battles against them (Steven more-so then Cynthia). So why is she the Mary Sue while Steven isn't?

As for Zinnia, I wouldn't say she's a Mary Sue. She's definitely not the best written character, but it's not like her actions are praised and she does end up being in the wrong as Rayquaza doesn't choose her. Really, her problems stem from the fact that the Delta Episode is pretty short for what it wants to do with the character and plot, so she ends up being underdeveloped.

Last edited:

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Cynthia doesn't really do much more then Steven does in Emerald. Both help you out over the game, they're quick to criticize the villainous team, most characters will be quick to praise them, and will help you out in battles against them (Steven more-so then Cynthia). So why is she the Mary Sue while Steven isn't?

I never said the Champions weren't, I mean with Steven being praised over by every female, while coming from a rich family and being an all famed and Lopunny very champion is Stu as hell, the bad thing is that little miss I know stuff coz I'm a draconian with a shady tragic past and a sanity token that makes me look quirky while I steam roll on every important character on the plot, impose my rules and make them doubt of their own ideology and quirks while I leave them talking about me till the end in which I do a sympathetic pass the touch moment to the player...

She took the cake an ate it.

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer

to be fair that happened AFTER when one of its members ( admin none the less) went axe-crazy and declared they want the world to burn in revenge for their leader. She probably thought Team Aqua/Magma is still bit too dangerous... ( granted she was a member before... but I don't think she sympathised with their goal all that much.) which is why she went for Archie/Maxie right after the whole ordeal with Courtney/Matt.

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Strider: Spider King
And/or she stole a huge golden anchor necklace. I find that hilarious, though.

Your bling is mine, sucka!

After all this alternate universe talk, looking at Archie, oras is in the same universe that flava flav' get's his jewelry from.

Status
Not open for further replies.